|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why didn't Beatrix's parents want her to marry Norman?
2. What began to influence Beatrix's personality during her childhood?
3. How are Beatrix's grandparents described?
4. How did Beatrix's personality change as time went on in her youth?
5. What inspired the story "The Tale of Two Bad Mice"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of job did Beatrix's father have? What did he do in his spare time?
2. How is Beatrix's cousin Caroline Hutton described in Chapter 4?
3. What did Bertram and Beatrix do together as children?
4. Who was Canon Rawnsley?
5. Why were Bertram and Beatrix in the countryside with their father?
6. Why was Bolton Gardens full of excitement prior to the publication of "The Tale of Peter Rabbit"?
7. What inspired the story, "The Tale of Two Bad Mice"?
8. Were Beatrix's parents religious?
9. What made Beatrix comfortable around Norman?
10. What did Beatrix think of Scotland?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the illustrations and photographs used. Why might these particular visual aids have been chosen? What do they tell the reader about Potter? Does a story develop based on the pictures?
Essay Topic 2
"The Tale of Beatrix Potter" is an example of a biography. What are the elements of this genre? Why is "The Tale of Beatrix Potter" an example of this genre? What are some other examples of this genre?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Beatrix's love of animals. What kinds of animals was she particularly fond of?
How did her love of animals influence her work and her life in general? Did her love of animals inspire her? If so, how?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)