|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Beatrix write a paper about which was given to the Linnaean Society of London?
2. How old were Beatrix and Norman when they decided to marry?
3. In which season did Beatrix publish "The Tale of Squirrel Nutkin"?
4. For what type of equality did Beatrix's grandfather campaign?
5. What did Beatrix's parents object to in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Beatrix prepare for her operation in 1939?
2. Why did Beatrix publish "The Fairy Caravan"? Why didn't she release it in Britain?
3. What kind of job did Beatrix's father have? What did he do in his spare time?
4. What inspired the story, "The Tale of Two Bad Mice"?
5. What interested Beatrix at Troutbeck Park?
6. What does Lane say of the subtleties in Beatrix's stories?
7. What happened when Beatrix considered illustrating a book on fungi?
8. What made Beatrix comfortable around Norman?
9. What were Beatrix's initial plans for Hill Top Farm and its tenant farmer?
10. Describe Mrs. Edmund Potter, Beatrix's grandmother.
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the conflicts which Beatrix faced during her life. Beatrix was often in conflict with her parents. What was often the cause of her conflicts with her parents? How did she overcome them?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the struggles faced by Beatrix throughout her life. What struggles did Beatrix face in regards to her social life, to her career as a writer and illustrator, to her desire for independence, and to her love life? How did she overcome these struggles?
Essay Topic 3
Beatrix yearned for a sense of independence from her parents. Why were her parents so strict, even when Beatrix was a woman of an advanced age? How did Beatrix gain a sense of independence? How did she finally leave her parents house?
This section contains 1,404 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)