|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Beatrix make critical comments of in her diary from her early twenties?
2. As children, what would Beatrix and her brother do with animal corpses?
3. Norman died of________.
4. How old were Beatrix and Norman when they decided to marry?
5. What would Beatrix and her brother often do with the animals and plants they observed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What made Beatrix comfortable around Norman?
2. How was Beatrix viewed socially as she grew up and became an adult?
3. How did Beatrix and Norman grow closer to one another?
4. How did Beatrix spend her days after Bertram left home?
5. What came from the diary found decades after Beatrix's death?
6. What inspired the story, "The Tale of Two Bad Mice"?
7. What did Beatrix think of her childhood surroundings?
8. What does the reader learn about the Crompton family history?
9. Who was Canon Rawnsley?
10. Describe Mrs. Edmund Potter, Beatrix's grandmother.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the struggles faced by Beatrix throughout her life. What struggles did Beatrix face in regards to her social life, to her career as a writer and illustrator, to her desire for independence, and to her love life? How did she overcome these struggles?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Beatrix's marriage to Mr William Heelis. How did Potter meet Heelis? Why did Beatrix's parents not allow the engagement at first? Where did Beatrix and William settle? Was Beatrix happy in her marriage? How did her marriage to William change her and her life?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Beatrix's love of nature. How did her childhood visits to Scotland influence her? How was Beatrix's love of nature reflected in her work? How did Beatrix's love of nature lead her to give up writing and pursue other endeavors?
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)