|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Beatrix's diary often talk about?
2. Which member of the Potter family was not interested in art?
3. According to the diary, what did Beatrix resent?
4. Who was Canon Rawnsely?
5. What was Beatrix's father's name?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Bertram and Beatrix do with the animal corpses they found as children?
2. Describe Edmund Potter, Beatrix's grandfather.
3. What kind of job did Beatrix's father have? What did he do in his spare time?
4. How did Beatrix and Norman grow closer to one another?
5. Describe the Potters' interest in art.
6. What does Lane say of the subtleties in Beatrix's stories?
7. How did Beatrix's parents react to her engagement to Mr. Heelis? How did her brother defend her?
8. How was Beatrix treated in America?
9. How was the artwork in Beatrix's books different from other children's books?
10. What softened Beatrix's reticence for interacting with the public?
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Beatrix's venture into politics. Why did she become interested in politics? What aspects of politics did she become interested in? How did these interests relate to her work as a writer and illustrator?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Beatrix's love of nature. How did her childhood visits to Scotland influence her? How was Beatrix's love of nature reflected in her work? How did Beatrix's love of nature lead her to give up writing and pursue other endeavors?
Essay Topic 3
"The Tale of Beatrix Potter" is an example of a biography. What are the elements of this genre? Why is "The Tale of Beatrix Potter" an example of this genre? What are some other examples of this genre?
This section contains 1,392 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)