|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Beatrix view her childhood surroundings?
2. What was the follow-up book to Peter Rabbit?
3. How did children respond to "The Tale of Squirrel Nutkin"?
4. Whom did Beatrix's Uncle Roscoe arrange for her to meet in 1896?
5. What began to influence Beatrix's personality during her childhood?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Beatrix's cousin Caroline Hutton described in Chapter 4?
2. What inspired the story, "The Tale of Two Bad Mice"?
3. While in Gloucester, what story did Beatrix compose? What did she think of this story?
4. What does the reader learn about the Crompton family history?
5. How did Beatrix feel about her life growing up?
6. How did Beatrix deal with the pain of Norman's death?
7. What did Bertram and Beatrix do together as children?
8. How did Beatrix go about printing her own copies of "The Tale of Peter Rabbit"?
9. How did Beatrix and Norman grow closer to one another?
10. At the end of Chapter 1, what does the reader learn about Beatrix's beliefs?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Lane's writing style? What is the writing style of the biography "The Tale of Beatrix Potter"? Is the writing style of this book similar to other biographies? Why might a clear and concise writing style be important for this type of work?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the climax of the biography. What takes place during the climax of the book? Why is this a climactic time in Beatrix's life? How does this time period impact her life?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Beatrix's life after she married. How did her life change after she married William Heelis? Why did she stop writing? What did she become passionate about? How did her personality change?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)