|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was Beatrix born?
2. What would Beatrix and her brother often do with the animals and plants they observed?
3. What interests did Miss Hammond encourage in Beatrix?
4. How large was the original "The Tale of Peter Rabbit"?
5. What was the name of Beatrix's hedgehog character?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the reader learn about the Crompton family history?
2. What happened when Beatrix considered illustrating a book on fungi?
3. What happened when Beatrix wrote a paper on mold spores?
4. Why was Bolton Gardens full of excitement prior to the publication of "The Tale of Peter Rabbit"?
5. What kind of lifestyle did Beatrix's parents live while in Bolton Gardens?
6. Were Beatrix's parents religious?
7. How was Beatrix viewed socially as she grew up and became an adult?
8. Describe Edmund Potter, Beatrix's grandfather.
9. How did Beatrix feel about her life growing up?
10. At the end of Chapter 1, what does the reader learn about Beatrix's beliefs?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Beatrix's personality. How might one describe Beatrix's personality as a child? How did her personality change as she matured? What were her defining character traits?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the illustrations and photographs used. Why might these particular visual aids have been chosen? What do they tell the reader about Potter? Does a story develop based on the pictures?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Beatrix's love of nature. How did her childhood visits to Scotland influence her? How was Beatrix's love of nature reflected in her work? How did Beatrix's love of nature lead her to give up writing and pursue other endeavors?
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)