|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Beatrix's diary often talk about?
2. Which member of the Potter family was not interested in art?
3. According to the diary, what did Beatrix resent?
4. Who was Canon Rawnsely?
5. What was Beatrix's father's name?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Bertram and Beatrix do with the animal corpses they found as children?
2. Describe Edmund Potter, Beatrix's grandfather.
3. What kind of job did Beatrix's father have? What did he do in his spare time?
4. How did Beatrix and Norman grow closer to one another?
5. Describe the Potters' interest in art.
6. What does Lane say of the subtleties in Beatrix's stories?
7. How did Beatrix's parents react to her engagement to Mr. Heelis? How did her brother defend her?
8. How was Beatrix treated in America?
9. How was the artwork in Beatrix's books different from other children's books?
10. What softened Beatrix's reticence for interacting with the public?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Beatrix's marriage to Mr William Heelis. How did Potter meet Heelis? Why did Beatrix's parents not allow the engagement at first? Where did Beatrix and William settle? Was Beatrix happy in her marriage? How did her marriage to William change her and her life?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and interpret the members of Beatrix's family. What were the defining characteristics of Beatrix's father, mother, and brother? What does the reader learn of Beatrix's family history? Did Beatrix get along well with her family? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Lane's writing style? What is the writing style of the biography "The Tale of Beatrix Potter"? Is the writing style of this book similar to other biographies? Why might a clear and concise writing style be important for this type of work?
This section contains 1,392 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)