|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Beatrix's father's profession?
2. How did children respond to "The Tale of Squirrel Nutkin"?
3. How long did it take to translate the code in Beatrix's diary?
4. What surprised Beatrix about the Warnes' family life?
5. What was the surname of Beatrix's cousin Caroline?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of job did Beatrix's father have? What did he do in his spare time?
2. What kind of lifestyle did Beatrix's parents live while in Bolton Gardens?
3. What did Bertram and Beatrix do with the animal corpses they found as children?
4. How did Beatrix prepare for her operation in 1939?
5. Were Beatrix's parents religious?
6. How did Beatrix go about printing her own copies of "The Tale of Peter Rabbit"?
7. At the end of Chapter 1, what does the reader learn about Beatrix's beliefs?
8. What does the reader learn about the Crompton family history?
9. Describe the Potter family's schedule during Beatrix's childhood.
10. What happened in Beatrix's life just before World War I ended?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and interpret the members of Beatrix's family. What were the defining characteristics of Beatrix's father, mother, and brother? What does the reader learn of Beatrix's family history? Did Beatrix get along well with her family? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Beatrix's love of nature. How did her childhood visits to Scotland influence her? How was Beatrix's love of nature reflected in her work? How did Beatrix's love of nature lead her to give up writing and pursue other endeavors?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Lane's writing style? What is the writing style of the biography "The Tale of Beatrix Potter"? Is the writing style of this book similar to other biographies? Why might a clear and concise writing style be important for this type of work?
This section contains 1,380 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)