|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What year did Beatrix finish "The Tale of Peter Rabbit"?
2. What was the follow-up book to Peter Rabbit?
3. What kind of lessons did Beatrix take as an adult?
4. What year was the code in Beatrix's diary cracked?
5. What did Beatrix live without during her youth?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lane believe was Beatrix's greatest achievement after her 'golden decade' of writing?
2. Why was Bolton Gardens full of excitement prior to the publication of "The Tale of Peter Rabbit"?
3. What was Beatrix's "The Fairy Caravan" about?
4. What does Lane say of the subtleties in Beatrix's stories?
5. How did Beatrix deal with the pain of Norman's death?
6. What event does Lane consider as marking the end of Beatrix's creative period?
7. What came from the diary found decades after Beatrix's death?
8. How is Beatrix's cousin Caroline Hutton described in Chapter 4?
9. What happened when Beatrix considered illustrating a book on fungi?
10. In what way was Beatrix's purchase of Hill Top Farm symbolic?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"The Tale of Beatrix Potter" is an example of a biography. What are the elements of this genre? Why is "The Tale of Beatrix Potter" an example of this genre? What are some other examples of this genre?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the struggles faced by Beatrix throughout her life. What struggles did Beatrix face in regards to her social life, to her career as a writer and illustrator, to her desire for independence, and to her love life? How did she overcome these struggles?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and interpret Beatrix Potter's canon of work. What are some common themes and motifs of the stories? Who are some of the more popular characters? Where did Beatrix gain inspiration from for the characters and settings of the books? Why were some of the stories more successful than others?
This section contains 1,425 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)