|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Warnes tell Beatrix she would have to do if she wanted him to publish "The Tale of Peter Rabbit"?
2. Why didn't Beatrix's parents want her to marry Norman?
3. How old was Beatrix when Caroline invited her to her home?
4. How did children respond to "The Tale of Squirrel Nutkin"?
5. What was the name of Beatrix's hedgehog character?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Beatrix spend her days after Bertram left home?
2. What kind of lifestyle did Beatrix's parents live while in Bolton Gardens?
3. How did Beatrix and Norman grow closer to one another?
4. Describe Mrs. Edmund Potter, Beatrix's grandmother.
5. What kind of job did Beatrix's father have? What did he do in his spare time?
6. What happened when Beatrix wrote a paper on mold spores?
7. What came from the diary found decades after Beatrix's death?
8. Why were Bertram and Beatrix in the countryside with their father?
9. What happened when Beatrix considered illustrating a book on fungi?
10. What did Bertram and Beatrix do together as children?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Beatrix's love of animals. What kinds of animals was she particularly fond of?
How did her love of animals influence her work and her life in general? Did her love of animals inspire her? If so, how?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the struggles faced by Beatrix throughout her life. What struggles did Beatrix face in regards to her social life, to her career as a writer and illustrator, to her desire for independence, and to her love life? How did she overcome these struggles?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the illustrations and photographs used. Why might these particular visual aids have been chosen? What do they tell the reader about Potter? Does a story develop based on the pictures?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)