|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is "The Tailor of Gloucester" said to be different from Beatrix's other books?
2. What was Beatrix's brother's name?
3. How did Beatrix's personality change as time went on in her youth?
4. What would Beatrix carry instead of luggage on her travels?
5. What would Beatrix's father do in the summer during their vacation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the reader learn about the Crompton family history?
2. What did Beatrix think of her childhood surroundings?
3. How is Beatrix's cousin Caroline Hutton described in Chapter 4?
4. Why did Beatrix write letters to sick children in the 1880s? What were the letters about?
5. While in Gloucester, what story did Beatrix compose? What did she think of this story?
6. What kind of lifestyle did Beatrix's parents live while in Bolton Gardens?
7. Describe the Potter family's schedule during Beatrix's childhood.
8. Why was Bolton Gardens full of excitement prior to the publication of "The Tale of Peter Rabbit"?
9. Why were Bertram and Beatrix in the countryside with their father?
10. Describe the Potters' interest in art.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the conclusion of the biography "The Tale of Beatrix Potter." How did Lane decide to end the book? Is it a happy ending? Why or why not? Are there any surprises or unanswered questions?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and interpret Beatrix Potter's canon of work. What are some common themes and motifs of the stories? Who are some of the more popular characters? Where did Beatrix gain inspiration from for the characters and settings of the books? Why were some of the stories more successful than others?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the conflicts which Beatrix faced during her life. Beatrix was often in conflict with her parents. What was often the cause of her conflicts with her parents? How did she overcome them?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)