|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Miss Hammond?
2. What did Beatrix NOT think was beautiful during her trips to Scotland?
3. How old was Beatrix when Caroline invited her to her home?
4. What did Beatrix use to help draw the art for "The Tale of Two Bad Mice"?
5. Who was Canon Rawnsely?
Short Essay Questions
1. What made Beatrix comfortable around Norman?
2. Why was Bolton Gardens full of excitement prior to the publication of "The Tale of Peter Rabbit"?
3. What did Beatrix think of Scotland?
4. Why were Bertram and Beatrix in the countryside with their father?
5. Describe Mrs. Edmund Potter, Beatrix's grandmother.
6. What happened when Beatrix wrote a paper on mold spores?
7. How was the Warne family different from Beatrix's family?
8. What did Beatrix think of her childhood surroundings?
9. Describe the Potter family's schedule during Beatrix's childhood.
10. Describe Edmund Potter, Beatrix's grandfather.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Beatrix's love of animals. What kinds of animals was she particularly fond of?
How did her love of animals influence her work and her life in general? Did her love of animals inspire her? If so, how?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Beatrix's marriage to Mr William Heelis. How did Potter meet Heelis? Why did Beatrix's parents not allow the engagement at first? Where did Beatrix and William settle? Was Beatrix happy in her marriage? How did her marriage to William change her and her life?
Essay Topic 3
Publishing a written work was not easy for Beatrix to do. Why was it so difficult for Beatrix to find a publisher to publish "The Tale of Peter Rabbit"? How did she go about publishing the book herself? Who finally expressed an interest in her work? What changes did Beatrix have to make to have her work published? How did the collaborative aspect of publishing bring her and her fiancé Norman closer together? Did Beatrix enjoy the publishing aspect of writing?
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)