Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Beatrix's diary often talk about?
2. Which member of the Potter family was not interested in art?
3. According to the diary, what did Beatrix resent?
4. Who was Canon Rawnsely?
5. What was Beatrix's father's name?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Bertram and Beatrix do with the animal corpses they found as children?
2. Describe Edmund Potter, Beatrix's grandfather.
3. What kind of job did Beatrix's father have? What did he do in his spare time?
4. How did Beatrix and Norman grow closer to one another?
5. Describe the Potters' interest in art.
6. What does Lane say of the subtleties in Beatrix's stories?
7. How did Beatrix's parents react to her engagement to Mr. Heelis? How did her brother defend her?
8. How was Beatrix treated in America?
9. How was the artwork in Beatrix's books different from other children's books?
10. What softened Beatrix's reticence for interacting with the public?
Essay Topic 1
Describe Beatrix's personality. How might one describe Beatrix's personality as a child? How did her personality change as she matured? What were her defining character traits?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Lane's writing style? What is the writing style of the biography "The Tale of Beatrix Potter"? Is the writing style of this book similar to other biographies? Why might a clear and concise writing style be important for this type of work?
Essay Topic 3
Publishing a written work was not easy for Beatrix to do. Why was it so difficult for Beatrix to find a publisher to publish "The Tale of Peter Rabbit"? How did she go about publishing the book herself? Who finally expressed an interest in her work? What changes did Beatrix have to make to have her work published? How did the collaborative aspect of publishing bring her and her fiancé Norman closer together? Did Beatrix enjoy the publishing aspect of writing?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)