|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Beatrix live without during her youth?
2. What inspired the story "The Tale of Two Bad Mice"?
3. The people at the meeting in 1896 were skeptical of ____________.
4. According to Chapter 4, Beatrix worried her publisher wouldn't like ________________.
5. What did Beatrix do with flowers after her brother left home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Bolton Gardens full of excitement prior to the publication of "The Tale of Peter Rabbit"?
2. Describe the Potters' interest in art.
3. What happened when Beatrix wrote a paper on mold spores?
4. Describe Mrs. Edmund Potter, Beatrix's grandmother.
5. How did Beatrix spend her days after Bertram left home?
6. What did Beatrix's parents fear about the Warnes family? Why didn't Beatrix's parents want Beatrix to marry Norman?
7. How did Beatrix feel about her life growing up?
8. How is Beatrix's cousin Caroline Hutton described in Chapter 4?
9. Describe Edmund Potter, Beatrix's grandfather.
10. What did Beatrix think of her childhood surroundings?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and interpret Beatrix Potter's canon of work. What are some common themes and motifs of the stories? Who are some of the more popular characters? Where did Beatrix gain inspiration from for the characters and settings of the books? Why were some of the stories more successful than others?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the climax of the biography. What takes place during the climax of the book? Why is this a climactic time in Beatrix's life? How does this time period impact her life?
Essay Topic 3
Beatrix's first serious romantic relationship was with Norman Warne. How did they meet? What sort of relationship did they have at first? How did they grow closer? How did Beatrix's parents react to their engagement? How did Beatrix handle Norman's death?
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)