|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What began to influence Beatrix's personality during her childhood?
2. How old were Beatrix and Norman when they decided to marry?
3. For what type of equality did Beatrix's grandfather campaign?
4. What about Norman's personality made her more comfortable with him?
5. What was the surname of Beatrix's cousin Caroline?
Short Essay Questions
1. What came from the diary found decades after Beatrix's death?
2. Describe the Potter family's schedule during Beatrix's childhood.
3. How is Beatrix's cousin Caroline Hutton described in Chapter 4?
4. What did Bertram and Beatrix do together as children?
5. Describe Mrs. Edmund Potter, Beatrix's grandmother.
6. Why were Bertram and Beatrix in the countryside with their father?
7. Were Beatrix's parents religious?
8. While in Gloucester, what story did Beatrix compose? What did she think of this story?
9. What kind of job did Beatrix's father have? What did he do in his spare time?
10. How did Beatrix deal with the pain of Norman's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Beatrix's marriage to Mr William Heelis. How did Potter meet Heelis? Why did Beatrix's parents not allow the engagement at first? Where did Beatrix and William settle? Was Beatrix happy in her marriage? How did her marriage to William change her and her life?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the illustrations and photographs used. Why might these particular visual aids have been chosen? What do they tell the reader about Potter? Does a story develop based on the pictures?
Essay Topic 3
Beatrix's first serious romantic relationship was with Norman Warne. How did they meet? What sort of relationship did they have at first? How did they grow closer? How did Beatrix's parents react to their engagement? How did Beatrix handle Norman's death?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)