|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Beatrix initially plan to do with her farm?
(a) Turn it into a studio and gallery.
(b) Manage it from afar.
(c) Turn it into a goat farm.
(d) Move her parents there.
2. What animal was central to the financing of Beatrix's farm?
3. How did Beatrix feel about being famous in her middle age?
4. What happened after the decade of Beatrix's best writing?
(a) She became disillusioned by the publishing industry.
(b) Her understanding of herself changed.
(c) She suffered a writing block.
(d) Her fame began to scare her.
5. What does Lane say Beatrix was able to illustrate with her animal characters?
(b) Human emotion.
(d) England's biodiversity.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who took care of Beatrix's property during World War I?
2. How did Beatrix feel about her demanding lifestyle after she married?
3. What happened on Beatrix's farm just before World War I ended?
4. In what year did Beatrix write "Johnny Town-Mouse"?
5. What was Beatrix keen to adopt after marrying?
Short Essay Questions
1. What event does Lane consider as marking the end of Beatrix's creative period?
2. What became a problem for Beatrix due to her success and increasing fame?
3. What inspired Beatrix's story, "Roly-Poly Pudding"?
4. How was Beatrix treated in America?
5. What does Lane note Beatrix's stories lacked?
6. According to Lane, what put an end to Beatrix's best writing years?
7. How was Beatrix's time at Hill Top Farm reflected in the books she published?
8. What does Lane say caused "Sister Anne" to fail?
9. Why did Beatrix publish "The Fairy Caravan"? Why didn't she release it in Britain?
10. What interested Beatrix at Troutbeck Park?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)