|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How big was Trouthbeck Park?
(a) Twenty-four acres.
(b) Five hundred acres.
(c) Two thousand acres.
(d) Four thousand acres.
2. What kind of comicality does Lane say is expressed on each page of Beatrix's books?
3. After buying her farm, whom did Beatrix often depict in her books?
(b) Her parents.
(c) The local townspeople.
(d) Film stars.
4. Where did Beatrix find her mother a new home after the War?
(a) At a farm near Hill Top.
(b) In Kent.
(c) Near Lake Windermere.
(d) A few blocks away from Bolton Gardens.
5. How is the farm Beatrix purchased described?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lane say is a fine art for which Beatrix had a talent?
2. How old was Beatrix's father when he died?
3. How did Beatrix feel about her demanding lifestyle after she married?
4. Which characters did Beatrix imbue with a sense of pride and self-reliance?
5. Whom did Beatrix become engaged to in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. What side projects did Beatrix pass her time with when she was not at her farm?
2. What became a problem for Beatrix due to her success and increasing fame?
3. Why did Beatrix publish "The Fairy Caravan"? Why didn't she release it in Britain?
4. How was Beatrix's time at Hill Top Farm reflected in the books she published?
5. What does Lane say was the core of Beatrix's genius?
6. What interested Beatrix at Troutbeck Park?
7. What softened Beatrix's reticence for interacting with the public?
8. What does Lane say caused "Sister Anne" to fail?
9. What does Lane suggest allowed Beatrix to add a deeper level of reality to her characters?
10. In what way was Beatrix's purchase of Hill Top Farm symbolic?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)