|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which characters did Beatrix imbue with a sense of pride and self-reliance?
(a) Her foreign characters.
(b) Her housewife characters.
(c) Her child characters.
(d) Her rabbit characters.
2. Why did Beatrix hate change?
(a) She disliked surprises or mysteries.
(b) She became confused easily.
(c) She loved the good features of past times.
(d) She loved routine.
3. What animal inspired Beatrix to write "The Roly-Poly Pudding"?
4. Where did Beatrix find her mother a new home after the War?
(a) In Kent.
(b) Near Lake Windermere.
(c) At a farm near Hill Top.
(d) A few blocks away from Bolton Gardens.
5. What was the name of the village local to Beatrix's farm?
(b) Swan Hollow.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of Beatrix's American-published books was a failure?
2. How did Beatrix find children's literature was treated in America?
3. What was Beatrix keen to adopt after marrying?
4. Dolls from which country overloaded the marketplace?
5. What breed of sheep did Beatrix keep at Troutbeck Park?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened in Beatrix's life just before World War I ended?
2. What does Lane suggest allowed Beatrix to add a deeper level of reality to her characters?
3. What did Beatrix find difficult about farm life?
4. Why did Beatrix publish "The Fairy Caravan"? Why didn't she release it in Britain?
5. How did Beatrix's parents react to her engagement to Mr. Heelis? How did her brother defend her?
6. What event does Lane consider as marking the end of Beatrix's creative period?
7. What were Beatrix's initial plans for Hill Top Farm and its tenant farmer?
8. What became a problem for Beatrix due to her success and increasing fame?
9. How was the artwork in Beatrix's books different from other children's books?
10. How did Beatrix feel about old age?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)