|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Beatrix's brother confess when his parents objected to Beatrix's second engagement?
(a) He was divorced.
(b) He arranged Beatrix's engagement.
(c) He would never marry.
(d) He had married a farm girl.
2. What did Beatrix do to her farmhouse one year after buying the farm?
(a) Turned it into a bed and breakfast.
(b) Demolished half of it.
(c) Renovated the attic into an office.
(d) Built an addition.
3. What happened on Beatrix's farm just before World War I ended?
(a) The harvest was ruined.
(b) The farm house burned down.
(c) Her pigs got sick and died.
(d) Beatrix had a larger barn built.
4. What inspired the locals to think of Beatrix as an eccentric?
(a) Her indifference to how she dressed.
(b) The people who visited her.
(c) Her farming methods.
(d) The way she talked to animals.
5. According to the author, Beatrix's art was founded in __________.
Short Answer Questions
1. Dolls from which country overloaded the marketplace?
2. What health issue did Beatrix face in 1939?
3. How old was Beatrix's father when he died?
4. How did Beatrix feel about being famous in her middle age?
5. How did Beatrix describe the interactions of her Troutbeck sheep?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Beatrix's "The Fairy Caravan" about?
2. What were Beatrix's initial plans for Hill Top Farm and its tenant farmer?
3. What happened in Beatrix's life just before World War I ended?
4. How did Beatrix prepare for her operation in 1939?
5. According to Lane, what put an end to Beatrix's best writing years?
6. How was Beatrix's time at Hill Top Farm reflected in the books she published?
7. How did Beatrix feel about being a celebrity?
8. What did Beatrix find difficult about farm life?
9. What does Lane say of the subtleties in Beatrix's stories?
10. What does Lane note Beatrix's stories lacked?
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)