|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the person who visited Beatrix in 1927 discover?
(a) She hated farm life.
(b) She was losing her memory.
(c) She did not plan to write anymore.
(d) She was unhappy in her marriage.
2. How many children's books did Beatrice write in the eight years after she purchased her farm?
3. Who visited Beatrix in 1927?
(a) A fan.
(b) An angry publisher.
(c) Her cousin.
(d) A friend from school.
4. Who took care of Beatrix's property during World War I?
(b) Beatrix's father.
(d) A hired worker.
5. What does Lane say is a fine art for which Beatrix had a talent?
(a) Entertaining children and adults alike.
(b) Dealing with publishers.
(c) Keeping her admiring public at a distance.
(d) Expressing truth through fantasy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened after the decade of Beatrix's best writing?
2. What 'vulgarity' does Lane note Beatrix's works lacked?
3. How many books did Beatrix publish after her marriage?
4. In Chapter 7, for what animal did Beatrix develop an interest?
5. What kind of comicality does Lane say is expressed on each page of Beatrix's books?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Lane, what put an end to Beatrix's best writing years?
2. How was Beatrix's time at Hill Top Farm reflected in the books she published?
3. What does Lane say of the subtleties in Beatrix's stories?
4. Where did Beatrix settle her mother after her father's death?
5. What event does Lane consider as marking the end of Beatrix's creative period?
6. What inspired Beatrix's story, "Roly-Poly Pudding"?
7. How did Beatrix's parents react to her engagement to Mr. Heelis? How did her brother defend her?
8. What interested Beatrix at Troutbeck Park?
9. What does Lane note Beatrix's stories lacked?
10. In what way was Beatrix's purchase of Hill Top Farm symbolic?
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)