|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To whom did Beatrix leave some of her copyrights?
(a) Bertram's widow.
(b) Her niece.
(c) Norman's nephew.
(d) Her dearest fans.
2. What animal was central to the financing of Beatrix's farm?
3. Which individuals impressed Beatrix in Chapter 8?
(c) Animal breeders.
4. Beatrix's marriage marked the end of____________.
(a) Her abstract period.
(b) Her fantasy period.
(c) Her children's literature period.
(d) Her creative period.
5. What health issue did Beatrix face in 1939?
(a) She started to lose her hearing.
(b) She had an operation.
(c) She broke her leg.
(d) She had a heart attack.
Short Answer Questions
1. After buying her farm, whom did Beatrix often depict in her books?
2. What animal did Beatrix note as being graceful and intelligent?
3. According to the author, Beatrix's water colors were perfect for ____________.
4. Which characters did Beatrix imbue with a sense of pride and self-reliance?
5. What 'vulgarity' does Lane note Beatrix's works lacked?
Short Essay Questions
1. What inspired Beatrix's story, "Roly-Poly Pudding"?
2. What does Lane say caused "Sister Anne" to fail?
3. How did Beatrix's parents react to her engagement to Mr. Heelis? How did her brother defend her?
4. What event does Lane consider as marking the end of Beatrix's creative period?
5. What was Beatrix's "The Fairy Caravan" about?
6. Why did Beatrix publish "The Fairy Caravan"? Why didn't she release it in Britain?
7. According to Lane, what put an end to Beatrix's best writing years?
8. Where did Beatrix settle her mother after her father's death?
9. In what way was Beatrix's purchase of Hill Top Farm symbolic?
10. What did Beatrix find difficult about farm life?
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)