|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of the farm Beatrix purchased in 1905?
(a) Mountain Lane Farm.
(b) Bluebird Meadow Farm.
(c) Ambling Acres Farm.
(d) Hill Top Farm.
2. What were the books Beatrix published after her marriage based on?
(a) Historical figures.
(b) Her previous work.
(c) Traditional fairy tales.
3. What was the name of the work Beatrix published only in America?
(a) "The Fairy Caravan."
(b) "The Mousetrap."
(c) "The Elephant of Palmer Road."
(d) "Willow Wonderland."
4. What did Beatrix find difficult about farm life?
(a) The long work hours.
(b) Seeing animals slaughtered.
(c) Earning respect as a woman farmer.
(d) The financial expenses.
5. What was the name of the tenant farmer of Beatrix's farm?
(a) John Calders.
(b) John Cannon.
(c) John Cartwright.
(d) John Caldwell.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Beatrix initially plan to do with her farm?
2. According to the author, Beatrix's water colors were perfect for ____________.
3. What happened on Beatrix's farm just before World War I ended?
4. What is characteristic of many of the locations in Beatrix's books?
5. Which of Beatrix's characters was made into a doll?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lane note Beatrix's stories lacked?
2. How was the artwork in Beatrix's books different from other children's books?
3. What did Beatrix find difficult about farm life?
4. What does Lane say caused "Sister Anne" to fail?
5. How was Beatrix's time at Hill Top Farm reflected in the books she published?
6. What does Lane say was the core of Beatrix's genius?
7. What does Lane say of the subtleties in Beatrix's stories?
8. According to Lane, what put an end to Beatrix's best writing years?
9. What became a problem for Beatrix due to her success and increasing fame?
10. What inspired Beatrix's story, "Roly-Poly Pudding"?
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)