|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 5, what is said to have become a problem for Beatrix as she got more famous?
(a) Hate mail.
(b) Harassment by the press.
(c) Infringements on her copyrights.
(d) Trespassers on her farm.
2. How did Beatrix set about protecting her chosen area of England?
(a) By buying land.
(b) By writing a story that depicts the area as too beautiful to abuse.
(c) By starting a charity to help protect the land.
(d) By promoting government protection of the land.
3. How did Beatrix find children's literature was treated in America?
(a) As a novelty.
(b) As an increasingly important genre.
(d) With confusion.
4. What happened on Beatrix's farm just before World War I ended?
(a) Beatrix had a larger barn built.
(b) The harvest was ruined.
(c) Her pigs got sick and died.
(d) The farm house burned down.
5. What does Beatrix express her sense of through her characters?
(a) The workings of children's imaginations.
(b) Archetypal characteristics.
(c) Human foibles.
(d) Entire species.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year did Beatrix die?
2. What was Beatrix excited to show off at local county fairs?
3. How is Beatrix described at the age of forty?
4. What inspired the locals to think of Beatrix as an eccentric?
5. What animal inspired Beatrix to write "The Roly-Poly Pudding"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Beatrix prepare for her operation in 1939?
2. How did Beatrix feel about being a celebrity?
3. What softened Beatrix's reticence for interacting with the public?
4. What was Beatrix's "The Fairy Caravan" about?
5. What did Beatrix find difficult about farm life?
6. What inspired Beatrix's story, "Roly-Poly Pudding"?
7. According to Lane, what put an end to Beatrix's best writing years?
8. Where did Beatrix settle her mother after her father's death?
9. How was the artwork in Beatrix's books different from other children's books?
10. What became a problem for Beatrix due to her success and increasing fame?
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)