|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Beatrix's brother confess when his parents objected to Beatrix's second engagement?
(a) He arranged Beatrix's engagement.
(b) He would never marry.
(c) He had married a farm girl.
(d) He was divorced.
2. What did Beatrix find difficult about farm life?
(a) Seeing animals slaughtered.
(b) The financial expenses.
(c) The long work hours.
(d) Earning respect as a woman farmer.
3. What was Beatrix keen to adopt after marrying?
(a) A new lease on life.
(b) A baby boy.
(c) Her new name.
(d) An optimistic attitude.
4. How old was Beatrix when she died?
(a) Eighty-four years old.
(b) Seventy-seven years old.
(c) Sixty-two years old.
(d) Seventy-one years old.
5. How many children's books did Beatrice write in the eight years after she purchased her farm?
Short Answer Questions
1. In her later years, what did Beatrix believe would depress her?
2. What was the name of the second farm Beatrix bought in 1909?
3. In Chapter 7, what did many members of the press think of Beatrix?
4. How old was Beatrix's father when he died?
5. How did the books Beatrix published after her marriage compare to her others?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lane say of the subtleties in Beatrix's stories?
2. What interested Beatrix at Troutbeck Park?
3. How did Beatrix feel about old age?
4. What softened Beatrix's reticence for interacting with the public?
5. What became a problem for Beatrix due to her success and increasing fame?
6. Why did Beatrix publish "The Fairy Caravan"? Why didn't she release it in Britain?
7. What does Lane note Beatrix's stories lacked?
8. What did Beatrix find difficult about farm life?
9. How was Beatrix treated in America?
10. What were Beatrix's initial plans for Hill Top Farm and its tenant farmer?
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)