|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How big was Trouthbeck Park?
(a) Two thousand acres.
(b) Five hundred acres.
(c) Four thousand acres.
(d) Twenty-four acres.
2. Over a span of how many years did Beatrix's best writing take place?
(a) Seventeen years.
(b) Three years.
(c) Twenty-one years.
(d) Ten years.
3. What were the books Beatrix published after her marriage based on?
(b) Her previous work.
(c) Traditional fairy tales.
(d) Historical figures.
4. How many books did Beatrix publish after her marriage?
5. What is a common theme in Beatrix's work?
(b) Misbehaving children.
(c) Hunter and prey.
(d) Prince and pauper.
Short Answer Questions
1. What health issue did Beatrix face in 1939?
2. Why didn't Beatrix publish one of her books in Britain?
3. Which area of England did Beatrix fight to protect?
4. How did Beatrix describe the interactions of her Troutbeck sheep?
5. What was Beatrix excited to show off at local county fairs?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lane say of the subtleties in Beatrix's stories?
2. What happened in Beatrix's life just before World War I ended?
3. What were Beatrix's initial plans for Hill Top Farm and its tenant farmer?
4. What does Lane suggest allowed Beatrix to add a deeper level of reality to her characters?
5. What inspired Beatrix's story, "Roly-Poly Pudding"?
6. What softened Beatrix's reticence for interacting with the public?
7. What does Lane note Beatrix's stories lacked?
8. How did Beatrix's parents react to her engagement to Mr. Heelis? How did her brother defend her?
9. How was Beatrix's time at Hill Top Farm reflected in the books she published?
10. What does Lane say caused "Sister Anne" to fail?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)