|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After buying her farm, whom did Beatrix often depict in her books?
(a) The local townspeople.
(b) Film stars.
(d) Her parents.
2. What kind of message did Beatrix's setting help convey?
(a) A scientific one.
(b) A complex one.
(c) A naturalistic one.
(d) A simple one.
3. In Chapter 7, for what animal did Beatrix develop an interest?
4. Lane describes the seam running underneath the main narrative of Beatrix's work as__________.
5. How did Americans treat Beatrix?
(a) With respect.
(b) With indifference.
(d) As if she were a sideshow.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a common theme in Beatrix's work?
2. What happened after the decade of Beatrix's best writing?
3. What does Lane say is a fine art for which Beatrix had a talent?
4. Who visited Beatrix in 1927?
5. In what year did Beatrix write "Johnny Town-Mouse"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Beatrix prepare for her operation in 1939?
2. What does Lane note Beatrix's stories lacked?
3. What event does Lane consider as marking the end of Beatrix's creative period?
4. What became a problem for Beatrix due to her success and increasing fame?
5. What does Lane say caused "Sister Anne" to fail?
6. What was Beatrix's "The Fairy Caravan" about?
7. What side projects did Beatrix pass her time with when she was not at her farm?
8. How was the artwork in Beatrix's books different from other children's books?
9. What does Lane say about the settings of Beatrix's stories?
10. What does Lane say was the core of Beatrix's genius?
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)