|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of Beatrix's American-published books was a failure?
(a) "Sister Anne."
(b) "The Tale of Little Pig Robinson."
(c) "Wag-by Wall."
(d) "The Fairy Caravan."
2. What does Beatrix express her sense of through her characters?
(a) The workings of children's imaginations.
(b) Entire species.
(c) Archetypal characteristics.
(d) Human foibles.
3. How many children's books did Beatrice write in the eight years after she purchased her farm?
4. Why did Beatrix hate change?
(a) She became confused easily.
(b) She loved the good features of past times.
(c) She loved routine.
(d) She disliked surprises or mysteries.
5. Dolls from which country overloaded the marketplace?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Beatrix's brother confess when his parents objected to Beatrix's second engagement?
2. How did other books choose to illustrate animal characters?
3. What was the name of the village local to Beatrix's farm?
4. Whom did Beatrix become engaged to in Chapter 5?
5. How many books did Beatrix publish after her marriage?
Short Essay Questions
1. What inspired Beatrix's story, "Roly-Poly Pudding"?
2. Why did Beatrix publish "The Fairy Caravan"? Why didn't she release it in Britain?
3. What does Lane say of the subtleties in Beatrix's stories?
4. In what way was Beatrix's purchase of Hill Top Farm symbolic?
5. What was Beatrix's "The Fairy Caravan" about?
6. How was Beatrix treated in America?
7. How did Beatrix's parents react to her engagement to Mr. Heelis? How did her brother defend her?
8. What does Lane suggest allowed Beatrix to add a deeper level of reality to her characters?
9. What event does Lane consider as marking the end of Beatrix's creative period?
10. What does Lane note Beatrix's stories lacked?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)