|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did children respond to "The Tale of Squirrel Nutkin"?
(a) They were bored by it.
(b) They loved it.
(c) They didn't understand it.
(d) They were frightened by it.
2. What did Warnes tell Beatrix she would have to do if she wanted him to publish "The Tale of Peter Rabbit"?
(a) Find a more experienced illustrator.
(b) Rewrite the story to be about humans.
(c) Cut the story down by five pages.
(d) Color her drawings.
3. What did Beatrix NOT think was beautiful during her trips to Scotland?
(c) Rock formations.
4. What kind of lessons did Beatrix take as an adult?
(a) Cooking lessons.
(b) Etiquette lessons.
(c) Singing lessons.
(d) Drawing lessons.
5. According to Chapter 2, why were Beatrix and her brother in the countryside with their parents?
(a) For their father's amusement.
(b) For their father's business.
(c) To visit family.
(d) For safety.
Short Answer Questions
1. What would Beatrix's father do in the summer during their vacation?
2. What would Beatrix sometimes write about while in Scotland?
3. What was Beatrix's father's name?
4. What would the servants do while the Potter family visited the sea?
5. How did Beatrix's parents become wealthy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lane suggest allowed Beatrix to add a deeper level of reality to her characters?
2. What was Beatrix's "The Fairy Caravan" about?
3. What does Lane say was the core of Beatrix's genius?
4. What did Bertram and Beatrix do together as children?
5. What softened Beatrix's reticence for interacting with the public?
6. Where did Beatrix settle her mother after her father's death?
7. Why was Bolton Gardens full of excitement prior to the publication of "The Tale of Peter Rabbit"?
8. What did Bertram and Beatrix do with the animal corpses they found as children?
9. How was Beatrix's time at Hill Top Farm reflected in the books she published?
10. Why did Beatrix publish "The Fairy Caravan"? Why didn't she release it in Britain?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)