|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long did Beatrix's tenant farmer work on the farm after she bought it?
(a) Ten years.
(b) Twelve years.
(c) Seven years.
(d) Five years.
2. What enabled Beatrix to add a deeper level of reality to her characters?
(a) Providing illustrations of them.
(b) Dressing them in clothes.
(c) Basing them on people she knew.
(d) Their real-life counterparts which she cared for.
3. Beatrix's marriage marked the end of____________.
(a) Her creative period.
(b) Her children's literature period.
(c) Her abstract period.
(d) Her fantasy period.
4. In Chapter 7, what did many members of the press think of Beatrix?
(a) She was dead.
(b) She was untalented.
(c) She was gullible.
(d) She was delusional.
5. What animal was central to the financing of Beatrix's farm?
6. What was the name of the work Beatrix published only in America?
(a) "The Fairy Caravan."
(b) "Willow Wonderland."
(c) "The Elephant of Palmer Road."
(d) "The Mousetrap."
7. How did Beatrix feel about her demanding lifestyle after she married?
8. Why did Beatrix hate change?
(a) She loved the good features of past times.
(b) She became confused easily.
(c) She loved routine.
(d) She disliked surprises or mysteries.
9. What did Beatrix do to her farmhouse one year after buying the farm?
(a) Demolished half of it.
(b) Renovated the attic into an office.
(c) Turned it into a bed and breakfast.
(d) Built an addition.
10. What was Beatrix mesmerized by at Troutbeck?
(a) The size of the plot.
(b) The mysterious fog.
(c) The scenery.
(d) The kindness of the locals.
11. How old was Beatrix when she died?
(a) Seventy-seven years old.
(b) Eighty-four years old.
(c) Seventy-one years old.
(d) Sixty-two years old.
12. What does Lane say Beatrix was able to illustrate with her animal characters?
(b) Human emotion.
(d) England's biodiversity.
13. What is a common theme in Beatrix's work?
(b) Hunter and prey.
(c) Misbehaving children.
(d) Prince and pauper.
14. Dolls from which country overloaded the marketplace?
15. How is the farm Beatrix purchased described?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lane say amuses adults about Beatrix's works?
2. Which characters did Beatrix imbue with a sense of pride and self-reliance?
3. How many children's books did Beatrice write in the eight years after she purchased her farm?
4. What is characteristic of many of the locations in Beatrix's books?
5. What language did Beatrix work to translate her books into?
This section contains 412 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)