|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lane believe was Beatrix's best work after her 'golden decade'?
(a) Her marriage.
(b) Her work at Troutbeck.
(c) Her integration into the village.
(d) Her National Trust work.
2. What were the books Beatrix published after her marriage based on?
(b) Historical figures.
(c) Her previous work.
(d) Traditional fairy tales.
3. In Chapter 7, what types of women are said to have sought Beatrix out?
(a) Sensible ones.
(b) Bored ones.
(c) Aristocratic ones.
(d) Middle-aged ones.
4. Lane describes the seam running underneath the main narrative of Beatrix's work as__________.
5. How is Beatrix described at the age of forty?
(a) As proud.
(b) As plump.
(c) As persistent.
(d) As priggish.
6. What did Beatrix initially plan to do with her farm?
(a) Manage it from afar.
(b) Turn it into a studio and gallery.
(c) Move her parents there.
(d) Turn it into a goat farm.
7. What did Beatrix focus on producing in 1910?
(a) A museum exhibition.
(b) A novel for adults.
(c) Sets for a theatrical production.
8. Why did Beatrix hate change?
(a) She disliked surprises or mysteries.
(b) She became confused easily.
(c) She loved routine.
(d) She loved the good features of past times.
9. Which of the following does Lane NOT say is expressed in Beatrix's works?
(a) Natural Beauty.
10. Which area of England did Beatrix fight to protect?
(c) The Dorset coastline.
(d) The Lake District.
11. How did the books Beatrix published after her marriage compare to her others?
(a) They were of lower quality.
(b) They were of equal quality.
(c) They were incomparable.
(d) They were of superior quality.
12. What enabled Beatrix to add a deeper level of reality to her characters?
(a) Dressing them in clothes.
(b) Providing illustrations of them.
(c) Basing them on people she knew.
(d) Their real-life counterparts which she cared for.
13. What animal inspired Beatrix to write "The Roly-Poly Pudding"?
14. How big was Trouthbeck Park?
(a) Twenty-four acres.
(b) Two thousand acres.
(c) Five hundred acres.
(d) Four thousand acres.
15. How old was Beatrix when she died?
(a) Eighty-four years old.
(b) Seventy-seven years old.
(c) Seventy-one years old.
(d) Sixty-two years old.
Short Answer Questions
1. Beatrix's marriage marked the end of____________.
2. Which individuals impressed Beatrix in Chapter 8?
3. What does Lane say amuses adults about Beatrix's works?
4. Who took care of Beatrix's property during World War I?
5. What animal did Beatrix note as being graceful and intelligent?
This section contains 405 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)