|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of the farm Beatrix purchased in 1905?
(a) Ambling Acres Farm.
(b) Mountain Lane Farm.
(c) Bluebird Meadow Farm.
(d) Hill Top Farm.
2. What language did Beatrix work to translate her books into?
3. What happened after the decade of Beatrix's best writing?
(a) She became disillusioned by the publishing industry.
(b) Her understanding of herself changed.
(c) Her fame began to scare her.
(d) She suffered a writing block.
4. What did Beatrix find difficult about farm life?
(a) Earning respect as a woman farmer.
(b) The long work hours.
(c) Seeing animals slaughtered.
(d) The financial expenses.
5. What is characteristic of many of the locations in Beatrix's books?
(a) They are named after her friends.
(b) They are free of humans.
(c) They are imaginary.
(d) They are real.
6. Whom did Beatrix become engaged to in Chapter 5?
(a) William Harper.
(b) William Hawkes.
(c) William Heelis.
(d) William Healey.
7. To whom did Beatrix leave some of her copyrights?
(a) Her dearest fans.
(b) Bertram's widow.
(c) Norman's nephew.
(d) Her niece.
8. What did Beatrix focus on producing in 1910?
(b) A museum exhibition.
(c) Sets for a theatrical production.
(d) A novel for adults.
9. Beatrix's marriage marked the end of____________.
(a) Her fantasy period.
(b) Her abstract period.
(c) Her creative period.
(d) Her children's literature period.
10. In Chapter 7, what types of women are said to have sought Beatrix out?
(a) Middle-aged ones.
(b) Sensible ones.
(c) Bored ones.
(d) Aristocratic ones.
11. What does Lane say amuses adults about Beatrix's works?
(a) The stories.
(b) The simplicity.
(c) The subtleties.
(d) The illustrations.
12. Which of Beatrix's characters was made into a doll?
(a) Tom Kitten.
(b) Timmy Tiptoes.
(c) Peter Rabbit.
(d) Jemima Puddle-Duck.
13. How is Beatrix described at the age of forty?
(a) As priggish.
(b) As proud.
(c) As persistent.
(d) As plump.
14. According to the author, Beatrix's water colors were perfect for ____________.
(a) Beatrix's genre.
(b) Very young children.
(c) The time they were published.
15. According to the author, Beatrix's art was founded in __________.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does Lane NOT say is expressed in Beatrix's works?
2. What inspired the locals to think of Beatrix as an eccentric?
3. What were the books Beatrix published after her marriage based on?
4. Why did Beatrix hate change?
5. What was the name of the second farm Beatrix bought in 1909?
This section contains 412 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)