|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is the farm Beatrix purchased described?
2. What kind of message did Beatrix's setting help convey?
(a) A complex one.
(b) A simple one.
(c) A scientific one.
(d) A naturalistic one.
3. What does Lane say is a fine art for which Beatrix had a talent?
(a) Expressing truth through fantasy.
(b) Dealing with publishers.
(c) Entertaining children and adults alike.
(d) Keeping her admiring public at a distance.
4. Beatrix's marriage marked the end of____________.
(a) Her fantasy period.
(b) Her creative period.
(c) Her children's literature period.
(d) Her abstract period.
5. What did Beatrix find difficult about farm life?
(a) Seeing animals slaughtered.
(b) Earning respect as a woman farmer.
(c) The long work hours.
(d) The financial expenses.
6. What 'vulgarity' does Lane note Beatrix's works lacked?
(a) Contemporary references.
(d) Slang words.
7. Why did Beatrix hate change?
(a) She loved routine.
(b) She became confused easily.
(c) She loved the good features of past times.
(d) She disliked surprises or mysteries.
8. Where did Beatrix find her mother a new home after the War?
(a) A few blocks away from Bolton Gardens.
(b) In Kent.
(c) Near Lake Windermere.
(d) At a farm near Hill Top.
9. What happened on Beatrix's farm just before World War I ended?
(a) Her pigs got sick and died.
(b) The farm house burned down.
(c) Beatrix had a larger barn built.
(d) The harvest was ruined.
10. Who visited Beatrix in 1927?
(a) An angry publisher.
(b) A fan.
(c) Her cousin.
(d) A friend from school.
11. Over a span of how many years did Beatrix's best writing take place?
(a) Ten years.
(b) Seventeen years.
(c) Three years.
(d) Twenty-one years.
12. What animal did Beatrix note as being graceful and intelligent?
(a) Sheep dogs.
13. How did Beatrix find children's literature was treated in America?
(b) As a novelty.
(c) As an increasingly important genre.
(d) With confusion.
14. In what year did Beatrix write "Johnny Town-Mouse"?
15. What happened after the decade of Beatrix's best writing?
(a) She suffered a writing block.
(b) Her understanding of herself changed.
(c) She became disillusioned by the publishing industry.
(d) Her fame began to scare her.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Beatrix set about protecting her chosen area of England?
2. Which of Beatrix's American-published books was a failure?
3. What animal inspired Beatrix to write "The Roly-Poly Pudding"?
4. What was the name of the tenant farmer of Beatrix's farm?
5. To whom did Beatrix leave some of her copyrights?
This section contains 435 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)