|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Beatrix publish her later stories?
(a) To prove to her publisher that she could still sell books.
(b) To regain her previous glory.
(c) To show appreciation to her American fans.
(d) To make money.
2. What 'vulgarity' does Lane note Beatrix's works lacked?
(b) Slang words.
(c) Contemporary references.
3. How did Beatrix describe the interactions of her Troutbeck sheep?
(a) As merciless.
(b) As riveting.
(c) As spellbinding.
(d) As a drama.
4. Even though she owned her own home, how much of Beatrix's time was she expected to spend with her parents?
(a) Ninety percent.
(b) Twenty percent.
(c) Fifty percent.
(d) Seventy-five percent.
5. What breed of sheep did Beatrix keep at Troutbeck Park?
(a) Hardwick sheep.
(b) Nolana sheep.
(c) Drysdale sheep.
(d) Southdown sheep.
6. What does Lane say Beatrix was able to illustrate with her animal characters?
(a) England's biodiversity.
(c) Human emotion.
7. Where did Beatrix find her mother a new home after the War?
(a) At a farm near Hill Top.
(b) In Kent.
(c) Near Lake Windermere.
(d) A few blocks away from Bolton Gardens.
8. Beatrix's marriage marked the end of____________.
(a) Her creative period.
(b) Her fantasy period.
(c) Her abstract period.
(d) Her children's literature period.
9. How old was Beatrix when she died?
(a) Seventy-seven years old.
(b) Eighty-four years old.
(c) Seventy-one years old.
(d) Sixty-two years old.
10. How did the books Beatrix published after her marriage compare to her others?
(a) They were incomparable.
(b) They were of equal quality.
(c) They were of superior quality.
(d) They were of lower quality.
11. How did Beatrix find children's literature was treated in America?
(b) As a novelty.
(c) As an increasingly important genre.
(d) With confusion.
12. How big was Trouthbeck Park?
(a) Two thousand acres.
(b) Five hundred acres.
(c) Twenty-four acres.
(d) Four thousand acres.
13. How many children's books did Beatrice write in the eight years after she purchased her farm?
14. What did the person who visited Beatrix in 1927 discover?
(a) She was unhappy in her marriage.
(b) She hated farm life.
(c) She was losing her memory.
(d) She did not plan to write anymore.
15. After buying her farm, whom did Beatrix often depict in her books?
(b) Film stars.
(c) Her parents.
(d) The local townspeople.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Beatrix initially plan to do with her farm?
2. What happened on Beatrix's farm just before World War I ended?
3. To whom did Beatrix leave some of her copyrights?
4. What did Beatrix do to her farmhouse one year after buying the farm?
5. Over a span of how many years did Beatrix's best writing take place?
This section contains 473 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)