|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year did Beatrix write "Johnny Town-Mouse"?
2. What animal inspired Beatrix to write "The Roly-Poly Pudding"?
3. What enabled Beatrix to add a deeper level of reality to her characters?
(a) Their real-life counterparts which she cared for.
(b) Dressing them in clothes.
(c) Basing them on people she knew.
(d) Providing illustrations of them.
4. Lane describes the seam running underneath the main narrative of Beatrix's work as__________.
5. What did Beatrix's brother confess when his parents objected to Beatrix's second engagement?
(a) He arranged Beatrix's engagement.
(b) He had married a farm girl.
(c) He would never marry.
(d) He was divorced.
6. How big was Trouthbeck Park?
(a) Two thousand acres.
(b) Twenty-four acres.
(c) Five hundred acres.
(d) Four thousand acres.
7. How did Beatrix feel about being famous in her middle age?
8. What breed of sheep did Beatrix keep at Troutbeck Park?
(a) Hardwick sheep.
(b) Drysdale sheep.
(c) Southdown sheep.
(d) Nolana sheep.
9. In Chapter 7, what types of women are said to have sought Beatrix out?
(a) Aristocratic ones.
(b) Sensible ones.
(c) Middle-aged ones.
(d) Bored ones.
10. How old was Beatrix's father when he died?
11. What is a common theme in Beatrix's work?
(a) Hunter and prey.
(b) Misbehaving children.
(c) Prince and pauper.
12. How did Beatrix set about protecting her chosen area of England?
(a) By starting a charity to help protect the land.
(b) By writing a story that depicts the area as too beautiful to abuse.
(c) By promoting government protection of the land.
(d) By buying land.
13. Why did Beatrix publish her later stories?
(a) To prove to her publisher that she could still sell books.
(b) To regain her previous glory.
(c) To show appreciation to her American fans.
(d) To make money.
14. What did Beatrix do to her farmhouse one year after buying the farm?
(a) Demolished half of it.
(b) Turned it into a bed and breakfast.
(c) Renovated the attic into an office.
(d) Built an addition.
15. In Chapter 5, what is said to have become a problem for Beatrix as she got more famous?
(a) Harassment by the press.
(b) Infringements on her copyrights.
(c) Hate mail.
(d) Trespassers on her farm.
Short Answer Questions
1. Beatrix's marriage marked the end of____________.
2. What was the name of the village local to Beatrix's farm?
3. What does Beatrix express her sense of through her characters?
4. What inspired the locals to think of Beatrix as an eccentric?
5. How is the farm Beatrix purchased described?
This section contains 439 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)