|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which individuals impressed Beatrix in Chapter 8?
(b) Animal breeders.
2. What language did Beatrix work to translate her books into?
3. How did Beatrix feel about being famous in her middle age?
4. Over a span of how many years did Beatrix's best writing take place?
(a) Three years.
(b) Twenty-one years.
(c) Seventeen years.
(d) Ten years.
5. Whom did Beatrix become engaged to in Chapter 5?
(a) William Healey.
(b) William Hawkes.
(c) William Harper.
(d) William Heelis.
6. What did Beatrix focus on producing in 1910?
(b) Sets for a theatrical production.
(c) A novel for adults.
(d) A museum exhibition.
7. After buying her farm, whom did Beatrix often depict in her books?
(a) Film stars.
(c) The local townspeople.
(d) Her parents.
8. Which of Beatrix's American-published books was a failure?
(a) "The Fairy Caravan."
(b) "Wag-by Wall."
(c) "Sister Anne."
(d) "The Tale of Little Pig Robinson."
9. What animal inspired Beatrix to write "The Roly-Poly Pudding"?
10. What happened on Beatrix's farm just before World War I ended?
(a) The harvest was ruined.
(b) The farm house burned down.
(c) Beatrix had a larger barn built.
(d) Her pigs got sick and died.
11. What did Beatrix find difficult about farm life?
(a) Earning respect as a woman farmer.
(b) The long work hours.
(c) Seeing animals slaughtered.
(d) The financial expenses.
12. Who visited Beatrix in 1927?
(a) A friend from school.
(b) A fan.
(c) Her cousin.
(d) An angry publisher.
13. Which characters did Beatrix imbue with a sense of pride and self-reliance?
(a) Her foreign characters.
(b) Her housewife characters.
(c) Her child characters.
(d) Her rabbit characters.
14. How did the books Beatrix published after her marriage compare to her others?
(a) They were incomparable.
(b) They were of equal quality.
(c) They were of lower quality.
(d) They were of superior quality.
15. How long did Beatrix's tenant farmer work on the farm after she bought it?
(a) Five years.
(b) Twelve years.
(c) Ten years.
(d) Seven years.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 7, what types of women are said to have sought Beatrix out?
2. How is Beatrix described at the age of forty?
3. What kind of message did Beatrix's setting help convey?
4. What does Lane believe was Beatrix's best work after her 'golden decade'?
5. How did other books choose to illustrate animal characters?
This section contains 398 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)