|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the author, Beatrix's water colors were perfect for ____________.
(b) Beatrix's genre.
(c) Very young children.
(d) The time they were published.
2. To whom did Beatrix leave some of her copyrights?
(a) Norman's nephew.
(b) Bertram's widow.
(c) Her niece.
(d) Her dearest fans.
3. What does Lane say amuses adults about Beatrix's works?
(a) The subtleties.
(b) The stories.
(c) The illustrations.
(d) The simplicity.
4. Why did Beatrix hate change?
(a) She disliked surprises or mysteries.
(b) She loved the good features of past times.
(c) She loved routine.
(d) She became confused easily.
5. Who visited Beatrix in 1927?
(a) An angry publisher.
(b) A fan.
(c) Her cousin.
(d) A friend from school.
6. What was the name of the village local to Beatrix's farm?
(a) Swan Hollow.
7. What did Beatrix focus on producing in 1910?
(b) A novel for adults.
(c) Sets for a theatrical production.
(d) A museum exhibition.
8. What happened on Beatrix's farm just before World War I ended?
(a) The harvest was ruined.
(b) Beatrix had a larger barn built.
(c) The farm house burned down.
(d) Her pigs got sick and died.
9. Which characters did Beatrix imbue with a sense of pride and self-reliance?
(a) Her rabbit characters.
(b) Her child characters.
(c) Her housewife characters.
(d) Her foreign characters.
10. In Chapter 7, what types of women are said to have sought Beatrix out?
(a) Bored ones.
(b) Sensible ones.
(c) Middle-aged ones.
(d) Aristocratic ones.
11. Which of Beatrix's characters was made into a doll?
(a) Timmy Tiptoes.
(b) Jemima Puddle-Duck.
(c) Tom Kitten.
(d) Peter Rabbit.
12. How many books did Beatrix publish after her marriage?
13. What does Beatrix express her sense of through her characters?
(a) Entire species.
(b) Human foibles.
(c) The workings of children's imaginations.
(d) Archetypal characteristics.
14. After buying her farm, whom did Beatrix often depict in her books?
(a) Her parents.
(b) Film stars.
(c) The local townspeople.
15. In Chapter 5, what is said to have become a problem for Beatrix as she got more famous?
(a) Harassment by the press.
(b) Trespassers on her farm.
(c) Infringements on her copyrights.
(d) Hate mail.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the second farm Beatrix bought in 1909?
2. What breed of sheep did Beatrix keep at Troutbeck Park?
3. Which individuals impressed Beatrix in Chapter 8?
4. What does Lane say is a fine art for which Beatrix had a talent?
5. Which of the following does Lane NOT say is expressed in Beatrix's works?
This section contains 410 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)