|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of the work Beatrix published only in America?
(a) "The Elephant of Palmer Road."
(b) "The Mousetrap."
(c) "The Fairy Caravan."
(d) "Willow Wonderland."
2. How many books did Beatrix publish after her marriage?
3. How many children's books did Beatrice write in the eight years after she purchased her farm?
4. What was the name of the village local to Beatrix's farm?
(d) Swan Hollow.
5. Which of Beatrix's American-published books was a failure?
(a) "Sister Anne."
(b) "Wag-by Wall."
(c) "The Fairy Caravan."
(d) "The Tale of Little Pig Robinson."
6. What 'vulgarity' does Lane note Beatrix's works lacked?
(c) Slang words.
(d) Contemporary references.
7. What happened after the decade of Beatrix's best writing?
(a) Her fame began to scare her.
(b) She became disillusioned by the publishing industry.
(c) She suffered a writing block.
(d) Her understanding of herself changed.
8. What did the person who visited Beatrix in 1927 discover?
(a) She was losing her memory.
(b) She was unhappy in her marriage.
(c) She hated farm life.
(d) She did not plan to write anymore.
9. How did the books Beatrix published after her marriage compare to her others?
(a) They were of superior quality.
(b) They were of lower quality.
(c) They were incomparable.
(d) They were of equal quality.
10. In what year did Beatrix write "Johnny Town-Mouse"?
11. In Chapter 5, what is said to have become a problem for Beatrix as she got more famous?
(a) Trespassers on her farm.
(b) Hate mail.
(c) Infringements on her copyrights.
(d) Harassment by the press.
12. What was Beatrix mesmerized by at Troutbeck?
(a) The scenery.
(b) The size of the plot.
(c) The mysterious fog.
(d) The kindness of the locals.
13. How is Beatrix described at the age of forty?
(a) As persistent.
(b) As priggish.
(c) As plump.
(d) As proud.
14. What does Beatrix express her sense of through her characters?
(a) Entire species.
(b) The workings of children's imaginations.
(c) Human foibles.
(d) Archetypal characteristics.
15. What does the author say of Beatrix's art works?
(a) They were sweet.
(b) They were well executed.
(c) They were easily imitated by children.
(d) They were amateurish.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the author, Beatrix's water colors were perfect for ____________.
2. What kind of comicality does Lane say is expressed on each page of Beatrix's books?
3. What did Beatrix find difficult about farm life?
4. Dolls from which country overloaded the marketplace?
5. Who took care of Beatrix's property during World War I?
This section contains 418 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)