|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What were the books Beatrix published after her marriage based on?
(a) Traditional fairy tales.
(c) Her previous work.
(d) Historical figures.
2. In her later years, what did Beatrix believe would depress her?
(b) Growing old.
(d) Her gray hair.
3. What is characteristic of many of the locations in Beatrix's books?
(a) They are free of humans.
(b) They are named after her friends.
(c) They are imaginary.
(d) They are real.
4. Even though she owned her own home, how much of Beatrix's time was she expected to spend with her parents?
(a) Twenty percent.
(b) Ninety percent.
(c) Seventy-five percent.
(d) Fifty percent.
5. What was the name of the farm Beatrix purchased in 1905?
(a) Mountain Lane Farm.
(b) Hill Top Farm.
(c) Bluebird Meadow Farm.
(d) Ambling Acres Farm.
6. What does Lane note Beatrix's stories usually lack?
(a) A moral.
(b) A climax.
(c) An antagonist.
(d) A happy conclusion.
7. What was the name of the second farm Beatrix bought in 1909?
(a) Castle Farm.
(b) Camelot Farm.
(c) Kingdom Farm.
(d) Fortress Farm.
8. Over a span of how many years did Beatrix's best writing take place?
(a) Seventeen years.
(b) Ten years.
(c) Twenty-one years.
(d) Three years.
9. How did Americans treat Beatrix?
(b) As if she were a sideshow.
(c) With respect.
(d) With indifference.
10. Why did Beatrix publish her later stories?
(a) To make money.
(b) To show appreciation to her American fans.
(c) To regain her previous glory.
(d) To prove to her publisher that she could still sell books.
11. What animal was central to the financing of Beatrix's farm?
12. What was the name of the tenant farmer of Beatrix's farm?
(a) John Cannon.
(b) John Calders.
(c) John Cartwright.
(d) John Caldwell.
13. What happened on Beatrix's farm just before World War I ended?
(a) Beatrix had a larger barn built.
(b) The harvest was ruined.
(c) The farm house burned down.
(d) Her pigs got sick and died.
14. What kind of message did Beatrix's setting help convey?
(a) A naturalistic one.
(b) A simple one.
(c) A complex one.
(d) A scientific one.
15. How did Beatrix feel about her demanding lifestyle after she married?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Beatrix mesmerized by at Troutbeck?
2. What was Beatrix keen to adopt after marrying?
3. Which area of England did Beatrix fight to protect?
4. What changed about Beatrix when she went for a visit to America?
5. How long did Beatrix's tenant farmer work on the farm after she bought it?
This section contains 438 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)