|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Beatrix find her mother a new home after the War?
(a) A few blocks away from Bolton Gardens.
(b) In Kent.
(c) Near Lake Windermere.
(d) At a farm near Hill Top.
2. What animal was central to the financing of Beatrix's farm?
3. What health issue did Beatrix face in 1939?
(a) She had a heart attack.
(b) She started to lose her hearing.
(c) She had an operation.
(d) She broke her leg.
4. How is the farm Beatrix purchased described?
5. What is a common theme in Beatrix's work?
(b) Hunter and prey.
(c) Misbehaving children.
(d) Prince and pauper.
6. How old was Beatrix when she died?
(a) Seventy-one years old.
(b) Eighty-four years old.
(c) Seventy-seven years old.
(d) Sixty-two years old.
7. How did Beatrix set about protecting her chosen area of England?
(a) By starting a charity to help protect the land.
(b) By buying land.
(c) By writing a story that depicts the area as too beautiful to abuse.
(d) By promoting government protection of the land.
8. How did Beatrix find children's literature was treated in America?
(a) As an increasingly important genre.
(b) As a novelty.
(c) With confusion.
9. How big was Trouthbeck Park?
(a) Four thousand acres.
(b) Five hundred acres.
(c) Two thousand acres.
(d) Twenty-four acres.
10. What does the author say of Beatrix's art works?
(a) They were sweet.
(b) They were well executed.
(c) They were amateurish.
(d) They were easily imitated by children.
11. After buying her farm, whom did Beatrix often depict in her books?
(a) Film stars.
(b) The local townspeople.
(d) Her parents.
12. Why didn't Beatrix publish one of her books in Britain?
(a) It was too autobiographical.
(b) She wanted to give a special gift to Americans.
(c) The cost of distribution was too high.
(d) It was anti-British.
13. Why did Beatrix hate change?
(a) She loved routine.
(b) She loved the good features of past times.
(c) She disliked surprises or mysteries.
(d) She became confused easily.
14. Beatrix's marriage marked the end of____________.
(a) Her abstract period.
(b) Her children's literature period.
(c) Her creative period.
(d) Her fantasy period.
15. How did Americans treat Beatrix?
(a) As if she were a sideshow.
(b) With indifference.
(c) With respect.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the village local to Beatrix's farm?
2. How old was Beatrix's father when he died?
3. In Chapter 5, what is said to have become a problem for Beatrix as she got more famous?
4. In what year did Beatrix write "Johnny Town-Mouse"?
5. How did other books choose to illustrate animal characters?
This section contains 415 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)