|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lane note Beatrix's stories usually lack?
(a) A happy conclusion.
(b) A climax.
(c) An antagonist.
(d) A moral.
2. Where did Beatrix find her mother a new home after the War?
(a) At a farm near Hill Top.
(b) A few blocks away from Bolton Gardens.
(c) Near Lake Windermere.
(d) In Kent.
3. How did Beatrix feel about being famous in her middle age?
4. In Chapter 7, for what animal did Beatrix develop an interest?
5. How long did Beatrix's tenant farmer work on the farm after she bought it?
(a) Five years.
(b) Seven years.
(c) Twelve years.
(d) Ten years.
6. What inspired the locals to think of Beatrix as an eccentric?
(a) Her farming methods.
(b) The people who visited her.
(c) The way she talked to animals.
(d) Her indifference to how she dressed.
7. Why did Beatrix hate change?
(a) She became confused easily.
(b) She loved routine.
(c) She loved the good features of past times.
(d) She disliked surprises or mysteries.
8. What does Lane say is a fine art for which Beatrix had a talent?
(a) Dealing with publishers.
(b) Expressing truth through fantasy.
(c) Keeping her admiring public at a distance.
(d) Entertaining children and adults alike.
9. How did other books choose to illustrate animal characters?
10. How did Beatrix find children's literature was treated in America?
(a) As an increasingly important genre.
(c) As a novelty.
(d) With confusion.
11. According to the author, Beatrix's art was founded in __________.
12. How did Beatrix set about protecting her chosen area of England?
(a) By starting a charity to help protect the land.
(b) By writing a story that depicts the area as too beautiful to abuse.
(c) By promoting government protection of the land.
(d) By buying land.
13. Which characters did Beatrix imbue with a sense of pride and self-reliance?
(a) Her foreign characters.
(b) Her child characters.
(c) Her rabbit characters.
(d) Her housewife characters.
14. How many children's books did Beatrice write in the eight years after she purchased her farm?
15. How big was Trouthbeck Park?
(a) Two thousand acres.
(b) Five hundred acres.
(c) Four thousand acres.
(d) Twenty-four acres.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Beatrix initially plan to do with her farm?
2. What was the name of the tenant farmer of Beatrix's farm?
3. How many books did Beatrix publish after her marriage?
4. What was the name of the village local to Beatrix's farm?
5. What animal inspired Beatrix to write "The Roly-Poly Pudding"?
This section contains 429 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)