|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Americans treat Beatrix?
(a) With indifference.
(b) With respect.
(c) As if she were a sideshow.
2. What 'vulgarity' does Lane note Beatrix's works lacked?
(a) Slang words.
(c) Contemporary references.
3. Where did Beatrix find her mother a new home after the War?
(a) Near Lake Windermere.
(b) In Kent.
(c) At a farm near Hill Top.
(d) A few blocks away from Bolton Gardens.
4. Dolls from which country overloaded the marketplace?
5. What was Beatrix excited to show off at local county fairs?
(a) Her farm animals.
(b) Her baking skills.
(c) Her affection for the community.
(d) Her art work.
6. How big was Trouthbeck Park?
(a) Five hundred acres.
(b) Twenty-four acres.
(c) Two thousand acres.
(d) Four thousand acres.
7. How long did Beatrix's tenant farmer work on the farm after she bought it?
(a) Twelve years.
(b) Five years.
(c) Seven years.
(d) Ten years.
8. Lane describes the seam running underneath the main narrative of Beatrix's work as__________.
9. What animal inspired Beatrix to write "The Roly-Poly Pudding"?
10. What does the author say of Beatrix's art works?
(a) They were amateurish.
(b) They were well executed.
(c) They were easily imitated by children.
(d) They were sweet.
11. How did Beatrix describe the interactions of her Troutbeck sheep?
(a) As spellbinding.
(b) As a drama.
(c) As merciless.
(d) As riveting.
12. In her later years, what did Beatrix believe would depress her?
(a) Growing old.
(b) Her gray hair.
13. How did Beatrix set about protecting her chosen area of England?
(a) By promoting government protection of the land.
(b) By starting a charity to help protect the land.
(c) By writing a story that depicts the area as too beautiful to abuse.
(d) By buying land.
14. In Chapter 5, what is said to have become a problem for Beatrix as she got more famous?
(a) Hate mail.
(b) Trespassers on her farm.
(c) Infringements on her copyrights.
(d) Harassment by the press.
15. In what year did Beatrix write "Johnny Town-Mouse"?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Beatrix express her sense of through her characters?
2. How many children's books did Beatrice write in the eight years after she purchased her farm?
3. What happened on Beatrix's farm just before World War I ended?
4. What animal was central to the financing of Beatrix's farm?
5. How old was Beatrix's father when he died?
This section contains 407 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)