|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 7, what types of women are said to have sought Beatrix out?
(a) Sensible ones.
(b) Bored ones.
(c) Aristocratic ones.
(d) Middle-aged ones.
2. Which area of England did Beatrix fight to protect?
(a) The Lake District.
(d) The Dorset coastline.
3. Why did Beatrix hate change?
(a) She became confused easily.
(b) She loved routine.
(c) She loved the good features of past times.
(d) She disliked surprises or mysteries.
4. What did the person who visited Beatrix in 1927 discover?
(a) She was unhappy in her marriage.
(b) She hated farm life.
(c) She did not plan to write anymore.
(d) She was losing her memory.
5. What does the author say of Beatrix's art works?
(a) They were sweet.
(b) They were easily imitated by children.
(c) They were well executed.
(d) They were amateurish.
6. What was the name of the work Beatrix published only in America?
(a) "The Elephant of Palmer Road."
(b) "Willow Wonderland."
(c) "The Fairy Caravan."
(d) "The Mousetrap."
7. What animal inspired Beatrix to write "The Roly-Poly Pudding"?
8. Even though she owned her own home, how much of Beatrix's time was she expected to spend with her parents?
(a) Twenty percent.
(b) Fifty percent.
(c) Seventy-five percent.
(d) Ninety percent.
9. What language did Beatrix work to translate her books into?
10. After buying her farm, whom did Beatrix often depict in her books?
(b) The local townspeople.
(c) Her parents.
(d) Film stars.
11. What changed about Beatrix when she went for a visit to America?
(a) Her attitude towards Americans.
(b) Her apprehensions about meeting the public.
(c) Her thoughts on travelling by boat.
(d) Her desire for writing.
12. How many children's books did Beatrice write in the eight years after she purchased her farm?
13. To whom did Beatrix leave some of her copyrights?
(a) Norman's nephew.
(b) Her dearest fans.
(c) Her niece.
(d) Bertram's widow.
14. What did Beatrix's brother confess when his parents objected to Beatrix's second engagement?
(a) He would never marry.
(b) He had married a farm girl.
(c) He was divorced.
(d) He arranged Beatrix's engagement.
15. What does Lane say is a fine art for which Beatrix had a talent?
(a) Entertaining children and adults alike.
(b) Expressing truth through fantasy.
(c) Dealing with publishers.
(d) Keeping her admiring public at a distance.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened on Beatrix's farm just before World War I ended?
2. According to the author, Beatrix's art was founded in __________.
3. How did Beatrix set about protecting her chosen area of England?
4. What inspired the locals to think of Beatrix as an eccentric?
5. What does Lane say Beatrix was able to illustrate with her animal characters?
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)