|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Beatrix initially plan to do with her farm?
(a) Manage it from afar.
(b) Turn it into a studio and gallery.
(c) Turn it into a goat farm.
(d) Move her parents there.
2. What does Lane believe was Beatrix's best work after her 'golden decade'?
(a) Her integration into the village.
(b) Her work at Troutbeck.
(c) Her marriage.
(d) Her National Trust work.
3. What changed about Beatrix when she went for a visit to America?
(a) Her thoughts on travelling by boat.
(b) Her apprehensions about meeting the public.
(c) Her desire for writing.
(d) Her attitude towards Americans.
4. How old was Beatrix's father when he died?
5. How many books did Beatrix publish after her marriage?
6. Which of Beatrix's characters was made into a doll?
(a) Tom Kitten.
(b) Jemima Puddle-Duck.
(c) Peter Rabbit.
(d) Timmy Tiptoes.
7. What inspired the locals to think of Beatrix as an eccentric?
(a) The people who visited her.
(b) Her farming methods.
(c) Her indifference to how she dressed.
(d) The way she talked to animals.
8. How did Beatrix feel about being famous in her middle age?
9. What was Beatrix mesmerized by at Troutbeck?
(a) The kindness of the locals.
(b) The scenery.
(c) The mysterious fog.
(d) The size of the plot.
10. What animal was central to the financing of Beatrix's farm?
11. To whom did Beatrix leave some of her copyrights?
(a) Her niece.
(b) Bertram's widow.
(c) Her dearest fans.
(d) Norman's nephew.
12. Why did Beatrix publish her later stories?
(a) To make money.
(b) To prove to her publisher that she could still sell books.
(c) To regain her previous glory.
(d) To show appreciation to her American fans.
13. Which of Beatrix's American-published books was a failure?
(a) "Sister Anne."
(b) "The Fairy Caravan."
(c) "Wag-by Wall."
(d) "The Tale of Little Pig Robinson."
14. How big was Trouthbeck Park?
(a) Two thousand acres.
(b) Five hundred acres.
(c) Twenty-four acres.
(d) Four thousand acres.
15. What happened after the decade of Beatrix's best writing?
(a) She became disillusioned by the publishing industry.
(b) Her understanding of herself changed.
(c) Her fame began to scare her.
(d) She suffered a writing block.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did other books choose to illustrate animal characters?
2. What does Lane say Beatrix was able to illustrate with her animal characters?
3. What was Beatrix keen to adopt after marrying?
4. Dolls from which country overloaded the marketplace?
5. Which individuals impressed Beatrix in Chapter 8?
This section contains 410 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)