|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lane say is a fine art for which Beatrix had a talent?
(a) Expressing truth through fantasy.
(b) Keeping her admiring public at a distance.
(c) Entertaining children and adults alike.
(d) Dealing with publishers.
2. In Chapter 7, for what animal did Beatrix develop an interest?
3. How did Americans treat Beatrix?
(a) As if she were a sideshow.
(b) With respect.
(c) With indifference.
4. What is a common theme in Beatrix's work?
(a) Prince and pauper.
(c) Hunter and prey.
(d) Misbehaving children.
5. Who took care of Beatrix's property during World War I?
(a) A hired worker.
(d) Beatrix's father.
6. What was the name of the village local to Beatrix's farm?
(d) Swan Hollow.
7. What was the name of the farm Beatrix purchased in 1905?
(a) Bluebird Meadow Farm.
(b) Hill Top Farm.
(c) Mountain Lane Farm.
(d) Ambling Acres Farm.
8. Why did Beatrix hate change?
(a) She loved routine.
(b) She loved the good features of past times.
(c) She became confused easily.
(d) She disliked surprises or mysteries.
9. Why didn't Beatrix publish one of her books in Britain?
(a) She wanted to give a special gift to Americans.
(b) It was anti-British.
(c) The cost of distribution was too high.
(d) It was too autobiographical.
10. How did Beatrix feel about being famous in her middle age?
11. Why did Beatrix publish her later stories?
(a) To regain her previous glory.
(b) To prove to her publisher that she could still sell books.
(c) To make money.
(d) To show appreciation to her American fans.
12. What did Beatrix's brother confess when his parents objected to Beatrix's second engagement?
(a) He would never marry.
(b) He had married a farm girl.
(c) He was divorced.
(d) He arranged Beatrix's engagement.
13. What breed of sheep did Beatrix keep at Troutbeck Park?
(a) Southdown sheep.
(b) Hardwick sheep.
(c) Drysdale sheep.
(d) Nolana sheep.
14. What animal was central to the financing of Beatrix's farm?
15. What happened on Beatrix's farm just before World War I ended?
(a) Beatrix had a larger barn built.
(b) Her pigs got sick and died.
(c) The farm house burned down.
(d) The harvest was ruined.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lane say amuses adults about Beatrix's works?
2. How did other books choose to illustrate animal characters?
3. To whom did Beatrix leave some of her copyrights?
4. How did Beatrix find children's literature was treated in America?
5. In what year did Beatrix die?
This section contains 410 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)