|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lane note Beatrix's stories usually lack?
(a) A climax.
(b) An antagonist.
(c) A moral.
(d) A happy conclusion.
2. What inspired the locals to think of Beatrix as an eccentric?
(a) The way she talked to animals.
(b) The people who visited her.
(c) Her farming methods.
(d) Her indifference to how she dressed.
3. Where did Beatrix find her mother a new home after the War?
(a) A few blocks away from Bolton Gardens.
(b) Near Lake Windermere.
(c) In Kent.
(d) At a farm near Hill Top.
4. In Chapter 7, what types of women are said to have sought Beatrix out?
(a) Sensible ones.
(b) Aristocratic ones.
(c) Middle-aged ones.
(d) Bored ones.
5. In what year did Beatrix write "Johnny Town-Mouse"?
6. What was Beatrix keen to adopt after marrying?
(a) A baby boy.
(b) Her new name.
(c) A new lease on life.
(d) An optimistic attitude.
7. What changed about Beatrix when she went for a visit to America?
(a) Her desire for writing.
(b) Her attitude towards Americans.
(c) Her apprehensions about meeting the public.
(d) Her thoughts on travelling by boat.
8. How did other books choose to illustrate animal characters?
9. Dolls from which country overloaded the marketplace?
10. How did the books Beatrix published after her marriage compare to her others?
(a) They were of superior quality.
(b) They were incomparable.
(c) They were of lower quality.
(d) They were of equal quality.
11. What did Beatrix's brother confess when his parents objected to Beatrix's second engagement?
(a) He had married a farm girl.
(b) He would never marry.
(c) He was divorced.
(d) He arranged Beatrix's engagement.
12. How did Beatrix feel about her demanding lifestyle after she married?
13. What enabled Beatrix to add a deeper level of reality to her characters?
(a) Their real-life counterparts which she cared for.
(b) Providing illustrations of them.
(c) Dressing them in clothes.
(d) Basing them on people she knew.
14. To whom did Beatrix leave some of her copyrights?
(a) Her dearest fans.
(b) Norman's nephew.
(c) Bertram's widow.
(d) Her niece.
15. How did Americans treat Beatrix?
(a) With respect.
(c) As if she were a sideshow.
(d) With indifference.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Beatrix excited to show off at local county fairs?
2. Over a span of how many years did Beatrix's best writing take place?
3. In Chapter 7, what did many members of the press think of Beatrix?
4. Why did Beatrix hate change?
5. What kind of comicality does Lane say is expressed on each page of Beatrix's books?
This section contains 443 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)