|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 7, for what animal did Beatrix develop an interest?
2. According to the author, Beatrix's water colors were perfect for ____________.
(b) The time they were published.
(c) Very young children.
(d) Beatrix's genre.
3. How did Beatrix set about protecting her chosen area of England?
(a) By promoting government protection of the land.
(b) By buying land.
(c) By starting a charity to help protect the land.
(d) By writing a story that depicts the area as too beautiful to abuse.
4. What enabled Beatrix to add a deeper level of reality to her characters?
(a) Their real-life counterparts which she cared for.
(b) Dressing them in clothes.
(c) Providing illustrations of them.
(d) Basing them on people she knew.
5. What does Lane say amuses adults about Beatrix's works?
(a) The illustrations.
(b) The simplicity.
(c) The stories.
(d) The subtleties.
6. What was the name of the village local to Beatrix's farm?
(c) Swan Hollow.
7. What is characteristic of many of the locations in Beatrix's books?
(a) They are real.
(b) They are free of humans.
(c) They are named after her friends.
(d) They are imaginary.
8. What was the name of the work Beatrix published only in America?
(a) "Willow Wonderland."
(b) "The Mousetrap."
(c) "The Fairy Caravan."
(d) "The Elephant of Palmer Road."
9. According to the author, Beatrix's art was founded in __________.
10. Why didn't Beatrix publish one of her books in Britain?
(a) It was anti-British.
(b) It was too autobiographical.
(c) The cost of distribution was too high.
(d) She wanted to give a special gift to Americans.
11. How did other books choose to illustrate animal characters?
12. What animal inspired Beatrix to write "The Roly-Poly Pudding"?
13. What animal did Beatrix note as being graceful and intelligent?
(b) Sheep dogs.
14. What did Beatrix do to her farmhouse one year after buying the farm?
(a) Built an addition.
(b) Demolished half of it.
(c) Turned it into a bed and breakfast.
(d) Renovated the attic into an office.
15. What was Beatrix excited to show off at local county fairs?
(a) Her farm animals.
(b) Her affection for the community.
(c) Her baking skills.
(d) Her art work.
Short Answer Questions
1. What changed about Beatrix when she went for a visit to America?
2. How many children's books did Beatrice write in the eight years after she purchased her farm?
3. Even though she owned her own home, how much of Beatrix's time was she expected to spend with her parents?
4. What did the person who visited Beatrix in 1927 discover?
5. Beatrix's marriage marked the end of____________.
This section contains 472 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)