|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is characteristic of many of the locations in Beatrix's books?
(a) They are free of humans.
(b) They are named after her friends.
(c) They are imaginary.
(d) They are real.
2. How long did Beatrix's tenant farmer work on the farm after she bought it?
(a) Ten years.
(b) Twelve years.
(c) Seven years.
(d) Five years.
3. In what year did Beatrix die?
4. What was the name of the tenant farmer of Beatrix's farm?
(a) John Cartwright.
(b) John Cannon.
(c) John Caldwell.
(d) John Calders.
5. What animal did Beatrix note as being graceful and intelligent?
(b) Sheep dogs.
6. How did Beatrix feel about her demanding lifestyle after she married?
7. After buying her farm, whom did Beatrix often depict in her books?
(a) Film stars.
(b) Her parents.
(d) The local townspeople.
8. Which of Beatrix's characters was made into a doll?
(a) Jemima Puddle-Duck.
(b) Peter Rabbit.
(c) Timmy Tiptoes.
(d) Tom Kitten.
9. How did Beatrix describe the interactions of her Troutbeck sheep?
(a) As riveting.
(b) As spellbinding.
(c) As a drama.
(d) As merciless.
10. Why did Beatrix hate change?
(a) She loved the good features of past times.
(b) She loved routine.
(c) She disliked surprises or mysteries.
(d) She became confused easily.
11. How old was Beatrix when she died?
(a) Seventy-seven years old.
(b) Eighty-four years old.
(c) Seventy-one years old.
(d) Sixty-two years old.
12. In Chapter 7, what types of women are said to have sought Beatrix out?
(a) Bored ones.
(b) Sensible ones.
(c) Middle-aged ones.
(d) Aristocratic ones.
13. What happened after the decade of Beatrix's best writing?
(a) Her fame began to scare her.
(b) She suffered a writing block.
(c) She became disillusioned by the publishing industry.
(d) Her understanding of herself changed.
14. How old was Beatrix's father when he died?
15. What did Beatrix focus on producing in 1910?
(a) A museum exhibition.
(b) Sets for a theatrical production.
(d) A novel for adults.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of comicality does Lane say is expressed on each page of Beatrix's books?
2. In what year did Beatrix write "Johnny Town-Mouse"?
3. Which of the following does Lane NOT say is expressed in Beatrix's works?
4. Where did Beatrix find her mother a new home after the War?
5. What did Beatrix initially plan to do with her farm?
This section contains 396 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)