|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of the tenant farmer of Beatrix's farm?
(a) John Caldwell.
(b) John Cannon.
(c) John Calders.
(d) John Cartwright.
2. What did Beatrix focus on producing in 1910?
(a) Sets for a theatrical production.
(b) A museum exhibition.
(c) A novel for adults.
3. According to the author, Beatrix's art was founded in __________.
4. What does Lane say amuses adults about Beatrix's works?
(a) The illustrations.
(b) The subtleties.
(c) The stories.
(d) The simplicity.
5. Why didn't Beatrix publish one of her books in Britain?
(a) She wanted to give a special gift to Americans.
(b) It was anti-British.
(c) It was too autobiographical.
(d) The cost of distribution was too high.
6. How did Beatrix describe the interactions of her Troutbeck sheep?
(a) As merciless.
(b) As riveting.
(c) As a drama.
(d) As spellbinding.
7. What health issue did Beatrix face in 1939?
(a) She started to lose her hearing.
(b) She broke her leg.
(c) She had a heart attack.
(d) She had an operation.
8. In Chapter 7, what types of women are said to have sought Beatrix out?
(a) Middle-aged ones.
(b) Aristocratic ones.
(c) Bored ones.
(d) Sensible ones.
9. According to the author, Beatrix's water colors were perfect for ____________.
(a) Very young children.
(b) The time they were published.
(c) Beatrix's genre.
10. What does Lane note Beatrix's stories usually lack?
(a) A moral.
(b) An antagonist.
(c) A happy conclusion.
(d) A climax.
11. What inspired the locals to think of Beatrix as an eccentric?
(a) The way she talked to animals.
(b) Her farming methods.
(c) The people who visited her.
(d) Her indifference to how she dressed.
12. What language did Beatrix work to translate her books into?
13. How did Beatrix feel about her demanding lifestyle after she married?
14. How did the books Beatrix published after her marriage compare to her others?
(a) They were incomparable.
(b) They were of lower quality.
(c) They were of superior quality.
(d) They were of equal quality.
15. Where did Beatrix find her mother a new home after the War?
(a) A few blocks away from Bolton Gardens.
(b) At a farm near Hill Top.
(c) Near Lake Windermere.
(d) In Kent.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom did Beatrix leave some of her copyrights?
2. What did the person who visited Beatrix in 1927 discover?
3. What did Beatrix initially plan to do with her farm?
4. What 'vulgarity' does Lane note Beatrix's works lacked?
5. Even though she owned her own home, how much of Beatrix's time was she expected to spend with her parents?
This section contains 449 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)