|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lane say Beatrix was able to illustrate with her animal characters?
(c) England's biodiversity.
(d) Human emotion.
2. How is the farm Beatrix purchased described?
3. Who took care of Beatrix's property during World War I?
(b) A hired worker.
(d) Beatrix's father.
4. Which of Beatrix's characters was made into a doll?
(a) Peter Rabbit.
(b) Tom Kitten.
(c) Timmy Tiptoes.
(d) Jemima Puddle-Duck.
5. In Chapter 5, what is said to have become a problem for Beatrix as she got more famous?
(a) Infringements on her copyrights.
(b) Harassment by the press.
(c) Trespassers on her farm.
(d) Hate mail.
6. What did Beatrix initially plan to do with her farm?
(a) Manage it from afar.
(b) Turn it into a goat farm.
(c) Turn it into a studio and gallery.
(d) Move her parents there.
7. Which characters did Beatrix imbue with a sense of pride and self-reliance?
(a) Her child characters.
(b) Her rabbit characters.
(c) Her foreign characters.
(d) Her housewife characters.
8. How many books did Beatrix publish after her marriage?
9. How long did Beatrix's tenant farmer work on the farm after she bought it?
(a) Five years.
(b) Seven years.
(c) Twelve years.
(d) Ten years.
10. What 'vulgarity' does Lane note Beatrix's works lacked?
(c) Contemporary references.
(d) Slang words.
11. How is Beatrix described at the age of forty?
(a) As persistent.
(b) As priggish.
(c) As plump.
(d) As proud.
12. What was Beatrix excited to show off at local county fairs?
(a) Her farm animals.
(b) Her baking skills.
(c) Her art work.
(d) Her affection for the community.
13. Lane describes the seam running underneath the main narrative of Beatrix's work as__________.
14. Why did Beatrix hate change?
(a) She disliked surprises or mysteries.
(b) She loved the good features of past times.
(c) She became confused easily.
(d) She loved routine.
15. According to the author, Beatrix's art was founded in __________.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Beatrix feel about her demanding lifestyle after she married?
2. Which of Beatrix's American-published books was a failure?
3. In Chapter 7, for what animal did Beatrix develop an interest?
4. What enabled Beatrix to add a deeper level of reality to her characters?
5. What was the name of the second farm Beatrix bought in 1909?
This section contains 399 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)