|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How big was Trouthbeck Park?
(a) Two thousand acres.
(b) Four thousand acres.
(c) Five hundred acres.
(d) Twenty-four acres.
2. What 'vulgarity' does Lane note Beatrix's works lacked?
(a) Slang words.
(d) Contemporary references.
3. What did Beatrix focus her life on after marrying?
(a) Raising a family.
(b) Charity work.
4. What does Lane believe was Beatrix's best work after her 'golden decade'?
(a) Her integration into the village.
(b) Her marriage.
(c) Her work at Troutbeck.
(d) Her National Trust work.
5. What animal was central to the financing of Beatrix's farm?
6. What was the name of the farm Beatrix purchased in 1905?
(a) Bluebird Meadow Farm.
(b) Hill Top Farm.
(c) Ambling Acres Farm.
(d) Mountain Lane Farm.
7. What animal inspired Beatrix to write "The Roly-Poly Pudding"?
8. How did Beatrix find children's literature was treated in America?
(a) As a novelty.
(b) With confusion.
(d) As an increasingly important genre.
9. Dolls from which country overloaded the marketplace?
10. What health issue did Beatrix face in 1939?
(a) She had a heart attack.
(b) She had an operation.
(c) She broke her leg.
(d) She started to lose her hearing.
11. What does Lane note Beatrix's stories usually lack?
(a) An antagonist.
(b) A moral.
(c) A happy conclusion.
(d) A climax.
12. Who visited Beatrix in 1927?
(a) A fan.
(b) Her cousin.
(c) A friend from school.
(d) An angry publisher.
13. How many books did Beatrix publish after her marriage?
14. What is a common theme in Beatrix's work?
(a) Prince and pauper.
(b) Misbehaving children.
(d) Hunter and prey.
15. How is the farm Beatrix purchased described?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which area of England did Beatrix fight to protect?
2. What was the name of the tenant farmer of Beatrix's farm?
3. Which characters did Beatrix imbue with a sense of pride and self-reliance?
4. In what year did Beatrix write "Johnny Town-Mouse"?
5. What did Beatrix focus on producing in 1910?
This section contains 341 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)