|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What animal was central to the financing of Beatrix's farm?
2. What were the books Beatrix published after her marriage based on?
(b) Historical figures.
(c) Traditional fairy tales.
(d) Her previous work.
3. What does Lane say amuses adults about Beatrix's works?
(a) The illustrations.
(b) The simplicity.
(c) The subtleties.
(d) The stories.
4. What 'vulgarity' does Lane note Beatrix's works lacked?
(a) Contemporary references.
(d) Slang words.
5. What was Beatrix keen to adopt after marrying?
(a) Her new name.
(b) A new lease on life.
(c) An optimistic attitude.
(d) A baby boy.
6. What language did Beatrix work to translate her books into?
7. In Chapter 7, for what animal did Beatrix develop an interest?
8. Lane describes the seam running underneath the main narrative of Beatrix's work as__________.
9. How did other books choose to illustrate animal characters?
10. How old was Beatrix's father when he died?
11. What was the name of the work Beatrix published only in America?
(a) "Willow Wonderland."
(b) "The Elephant of Palmer Road."
(c) "The Mousetrap."
(d) "The Fairy Caravan."
12. How did Beatrix set about protecting her chosen area of England?
(a) By promoting government protection of the land.
(b) By writing a story that depicts the area as too beautiful to abuse.
(c) By starting a charity to help protect the land.
(d) By buying land.
13. What kind of message did Beatrix's setting help convey?
(a) A simple one.
(b) A scientific one.
(c) A naturalistic one.
(d) A complex one.
14. Who visited Beatrix in 1927?
(a) An angry publisher.
(b) Her cousin.
(c) A fan.
(d) A friend from school.
15. What happened after the decade of Beatrix's best writing?
(a) She suffered a writing block.
(b) Her fame began to scare her.
(c) Her understanding of herself changed.
(d) She became disillusioned by the publishing industry.
Short Answer Questions
1. How big was Trouthbeck Park?
2. How did Beatrix find children's literature was treated in America?
3. Why didn't Beatrix publish one of her books in Britain?
4. What inspired the locals to think of Beatrix as an eccentric?
5. How is Beatrix described at the age of forty?
This section contains 410 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)