|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Beatrix's diary often talk about?
(a) Her family's past.
(b) Her pets.
(c) Her ambitions.
(d) Her travels.
2. What did Beatrix and her brother make together as children?
(c) Root beer.
(d) Sculpting clay.
3. How is "The Tailor of Gloucester" said to be different from Beatrix's other books?
(a) It is more diverse.
(b) It is in rhyme.
(c) It is about human characters.
(d) It is more adult.
4. How large was the original "The Tale of Peter Rabbit"?
(a) Seven by nine inches.
(b) Three inches square.
(c) Eight by eleven inches.
(d) Four by five inches.
5. What was the surname of Beatrix's cousin Caroline?
6. What did Warnes tell Beatrix she would have to do if she wanted him to publish "The Tale of Peter Rabbit"?
(a) Color her drawings.
(b) Rewrite the story to be about humans.
(c) Find a more experienced illustrator.
(d) Cut the story down by five pages.
7. What interests did Miss Hammond encourage in Beatrix?
(a) Her interest in nature.
(b) Her interest in travel.
(c) Her interest in writing.
(d) Her interest in farming.
8. How long did it take to translate the code in Beatrix's diary?
(a) Ten years.
(b) Five years.
(c) One year.
(d) Three years.
9. Where would the Potter family go in the summer?
(a) To Spain.
(b) To France.
(c) To Scotland.
(d) To Italy.
10. In which season did Beatrix publish "The Tale of Squirrel Nutkin"?
11. What was Beatrix's grandfather's position in parliament?
(a) He was a Conservative MP.
(b) He was a Liberal MP.
(c) He was the Lord Speaker.
(d) He was the Sergeant-at-Arms
12. How are Beatrix's grandparents described?
(a) Sad and forgiving.
(b) Original and wild.
(c) Mean and cranky.
(d) Cold and standoffish.
13. According to Chapter 4, Beatrix worried her publisher wouldn't like ________________.
(a) Her story's moral.
(b) Her rhymes.
(c) Her characters.
(d) Her water color illustrations.
14. What did Bertram's art focus on?
(a) The Lake District.
(c) The English coast.
(d) The Scottish countryside.
15. What was Beatrix's first children's book?
(a) The Tale of Mrs. Tittlemouse.
(b) The Tale of Peter Rabbit.
(c) The Tale of Timmy Tiptoes.
(d) The Tale of the Pie and the Patty-Pan.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Beatrix make critical comments of in her diary from her early twenties?
2. How did Beatrix's personality change as time went on in her youth?
3. What would Beatrix carry instead of luggage on her travels?
4. Why didn't Beatrix's parents want her to marry Norman?
5. For what type of equality did Beatrix's grandfather campaign?
This section contains 433 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)