|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What inspired the story "The Tale of Two Bad Mice"?
(a) Norman's pet mice.
(b) Mice Beatrix caught in her kitchen.
(c) Two ceramic mice figurines.
(d) A story a little girl told Beatrix.
2. What was the follow-up book to Peter Rabbit?
(a) "The Tale of Velvet Bunny."
(b) "The Tale of Benjamin Bunny."
(c) "The Tale of Flopsy Bunny."
(d) "The Tale of Poppy Bunny."
3. What did Beatrix's parents object to in Chapter 4?
(a) Her distance from them.
(b) Her charitable donations.
(c) Her feud with her brother.
(d) Her stories' subject matter.
4. What holiday did the Potter family never celebrate?
(c) St. Valentine's Day.
5. In what fad of the time did Beatrix's father like to engage?
(a) Amateur photography.
(b) Bird watching.
(d) Stage acting.
6. What would Beatrix carry instead of luggage on her travels?
(a) Animals carriers.
(b) Picnic baskets.
(c) Laundry bags.
(d) An easel and paintbox.
7. Whom did Beatrix's Uncle Roscoe arrange for her to meet in 1896?
(a) The Director of the Royal Botanic Gardens.
(b) The Director of the Royal Ballet.
(c) The Director of the Royal Conservatory of Music.
(d) The Director of the Royal Society of Arts.
8. What did Beatrix ask to sketch in Chapter 4?
(c) Shop interiors.
(d) Farm animals.
9. As children, what would Beatrix and her brother do with animal corpses?
(a) Skin them.
(b) Bury them.
(c) Burn them.
(d) Draw them.
10. What part of animal corpses would Beatrix and her brother keep?
(a) The bones.
(b) The teeth.
(c) No parts.
(d) The skins.
11. In which season did Beatrix publish "The Tale of Squirrel Nutkin"?
12. How did Beatrix view her childhood surroundings?
(a) As pretentious.
(b) As fun.
(c) As something to escape.
(d) As oppressive.
13. What was Beatrix's father's name?
(a) Rupert Potter.
(b) James Potter.
(c) Lenny Potter.
(d) Gerald Potter.
14. What did Warnes tell Beatrix she would have to do if she wanted him to publish "The Tale of Peter Rabbit"?
(a) Color her drawings.
(b) Find a more experienced illustrator.
(c) Rewrite the story to be about humans.
(d) Cut the story down by five pages.
15. Who was angered by the condescension at the meeting in 1896?
(a) Uncle Henry.
(c) Mrs. Potter.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who urged Beatrix to submit "The Tale of Peter Rabbit" for publication?
2. What was Beatrix's full name?
3. How did children respond to "The Tale of Squirrel Nutkin"?
4. Why did the people at the meeting in 1896 dislike Beatrix's drawings?
5. What was Beatrix's grandfather's position in parliament?
This section contains 447 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)