|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What holiday did the Potter family never celebrate?
(d) St. Valentine's Day.
2. How did Beatrix feel growing up as a result of not being a part of her parents' lives?
3. How many copies of "The Tale of Peter Rabbit" did Beatrix have printed originally?
(a) Five hundred.
(b) One hundred.
(d) Two hundred-fifty.
4. Around what holiday would the Potter family visit the sea?
(b) Victoria Day.
(d) New Year's Day.
5. What did Warnes tell Beatrix she would have to do if she wanted him to publish "The Tale of Peter Rabbit"?
(a) Cut the story down by five pages.
(b) Color her drawings.
(c) Rewrite the story to be about humans.
(d) Find a more experienced illustrator.
6. In which season did Beatrix publish "The Tale of Squirrel Nutkin"?
7. Whom did Beatrix's Uncle Roscoe arrange for her to meet in 1896?
(a) The Director of the Royal Botanic Gardens.
(b) The Director of the Royal Society of Arts.
(c) The Director of the Royal Ballet.
(d) The Director of the Royal Conservatory of Music.
8. What was Beatrix's parents' approach to religion?
(a) Rigid and unforgiving.
(b) Complete obedience and faith.
(c) A half-hearted attempt at devotion.
(d) Calm and unenthusiastic.
9. How old were Beatrix and Norman when they decided to marry?
(a) Nearly forty years old.
(b) Nearly thirty years old.
(c) Thirty-five years old.
(d) Forty-five years old.
10. The people at the meeting in 1896 were skeptical of ____________.
(a) Beatrix's talent.
(b) Beatrix's credentials.
(c) Beatrix's theories.
(d) Beatrix's sanity.
11. What was Beatrix's grandfather's position in parliament?
(a) He was the Sergeant-at-Arms
(b) He was a Liberal MP.
(c) He was a Conservative MP.
(d) He was the Lord Speaker.
12. What did Beatrix's personality as a child lead her to do?
(a) Create her own world.
(b) Ignore her parents' wisdom.
(c) Make many friends.
(d) Approach strangers.
13. Which member of the Potter family was not interested in art?
(a) Uncle Roscoe Henry.
(b) Mrs. Potter.
(c) Mr. Potter.
14. What did Beatrix write a paper about which was given to the Linnaean Society of London?
(a) Disappearing tree species.
(b) Mosses native to Scotland.
(c) Mold spores.
15. How was Beatrix viewed by others as she aged in Bolton Gardens?
(a) As eccentric.
(b) As glamorous.
(c) As naive.
(d) As creative.
Short Answer Questions
1. What would Beatrix and her brother often do with the animals and plants they observed?
2. What did Beatrix use to help draw the art for "The Tale of Two Bad Mice"?
3. Who was Canon Rawnsely?
4. What did Beatrix's parents object to in Chapter 4?
5. What about Norman's personality made her more comfortable with him?
This section contains 457 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)