|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Monsey sent to tell Longstaff?
2. Who gives Culum the idea to elope with Tess?
3. Where do Culum and Tess stay in Macao after their wedding?
4. What does Dirk offer the doctor if he can cure May-may?
5. In Chapter 33, who tells Dirk they cannot find the bark?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes the wages and costs in Hong Kong to rise above Dirk's expectations?
2. Why does Dirk remind Gorth that it is against the law to murder a prostitute?
3. As Dirk and Captain Orlov sail back to Hong Kong in Chapter 42, why do they think they're getting old?
4. After May-may begins to recover from malaria, what does she tell Dirk she will do if he goes back to Hong Kong without her?
5. Why does Dirk think Culum should spend more time with Jeff Cooper.
6. How is the White Witch damaged in Chapter 45?
7. Why does Dirk think the bishop might have cinchona bark?
8. In Chapter 41, why does Culum tell Liza she cannot take Tess back to her home?
9. When Dirk and Brock meet to fight at the knoll, why do they begin to talk about the weather?
10. Why do the Russians feel they must control China?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do Dirk and Brock decide to form their uneasy truce? What leads to the truce? Why is it important for these two characters to come to some sort of understanding? What might have happened if they had not called a truce?
Essay Topic 2
At the beginning of the novel, what is the financial situation of The Noble House? How did the company get into this situation? What is the deal between Jin-qua and Dirk and why is it necessary in saving The Noble House?
Essay Topic 3
What is the importance of Hong Kong to the Chinese and to the British? How do the traders feel about the possession of Hong Kong?
This section contains 601 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)