|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Monsey sent to tell Longstaff?
2. How long does Dirk give Gordon to find out who the leader of the Triads in Hong Kong is?
3. What is Horatio ranting about during the storm?
4. What cuts off Glessing's arm?
5. How does Gordon respond to Dirk when Dirk asks him if he is the leader of the Triads in Hong Kong.
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 47, why does Dirk move May-may and the others to his factory in Happy Valley?
2. In Chapter 41, why does Culum tell Liza she cannot take Tess back to her home?
3. When Dirk and Brock meet to fight at the knoll, why do they begin to talk about the weather?
4. What causes the wages and costs in Hong Kong to rise above Dirk's expectations?
5. As Dirk and Captain Orlov sail back to Hong Kong in Chapter 42, why do they think they're getting old?
6. According to Culum, how did Dirk use him and Tess?
7. What does Dirk think is the reason Culum cannot remember where he was in Macao?
8. How does Gordon Chen plan to hide the fact that he is the leader of the Triads in Hong Kong from Dirk after Dirk confronts him about whether he is a leader?
9. Why does Dirk lie to Brock about Tess and Culum being poxed?
10. Why does Whalen send Monsey to Hong Kong to tell Longstaff he must leave?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What motivates Jin-qua to help save The Noble House? Are his intentions honorable or is he simply trying to help himself and using The Noble House as a pawn? Or, is there a little bit of honor and self-interest at the same time?
Essay Topic 2
What examples of marriage are portrayed in Tai-Pan? What seems to be the overall view of marriage based on these examples? Does the author use marriages with a purpose in mind? What is the purpose?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the culture clash between the English and the Chinese people in this novel. Where do we see the clash? How does the clash affect the events of the story?
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)