|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the bishop say he was when the bark cured his malaria?
2. Who does May-may send to talk to Mary Sinclair?
3. What is in the sack that Dirk finds in Aberdeen?
4. In Chapter 33, who tells Dirk they cannot find the bark?
5. What name does Dirk suggest for the new town in Hong Kong?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does May-may say will happen to Yin-hsi if Dirk sends her away?
2. What does Dirk hope the information he leaks for the article in the Oriental Times will do?
3. Why does Dirk think the bishop might have cinchona bark?
4. How does Gordon Chen plan to hide the fact that he is the leader of the Triads in Hong Kong from Dirk after Dirk confronts him about whether he is a leader?
5. Why does Dirk want to send Father Sebastian to Peru?
6. In Chapter 41, why does Culum tell Liza she cannot take Tess back to her home?
7. How is the White Witch damaged in Chapter 45?
8. Why does Wu Kwok have Scragger killed?
9. Why does Dirk lie to Brock about Tess and Culum being poxed?
10. According to Culum, how did Dirk use him and Tess?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The rivalry between Dirk and Brock is enormous and is responsible for much of the action in the book. Why are these two characters such bitter rivals? What led to their current relationship and how does their relationship affect their companies and families?
Essay Topic 2
What is the importance of Hong Kong to the Chinese and to the British? How do the traders feel about the possession of Hong Kong?
Essay Topic 3
What point of view is used to tell this story? Why is it necessary to use this point of view? Would another perspective work? Why or why not?
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)