|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dirk do while he waits for word about the missing Culum?
2. When Dirk returns from the English Club following the duel challenge, who is waiting for him at his home?
3. What does Skinner lose in the storm?
4. Where does the bishop say he was when the bark cured his malaria?
5. Who secretly owns the Oriental Times?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Dirk remind Gorth that it is against the law to murder a prostitute?
2. What causes the wages and costs in Hong Kong to rise above Dirk's expectations?
3. Why does Dirk instruct Gordon Chen to form a spy system?
4. When Dirk and Brock meet to fight at the knoll, why do they begin to talk about the weather?
5. In Chapter 47, why does Dirk move May-may and the others to his factory in Happy Valley?
6. May-may presents Yin-hsi to Dirk as a birthday gift. What is the real reason she gives the girl to Dirk?
7. According to Culum, how did Dirk use him and Tess?
8. Why do the Russians feel they must control China?
9. Why does Dirk think the bishop might have cinchona bark?
10. Why does Dirk think Culum should spend more time with Jeff Cooper.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is the marriage of Tess and Culum so important to both Dirk and Brock? What do each of them stand to gain by either ensuring the marriage happens or preventing it from happening until a specific time? What effect does the marriage ultimately have on the two houses?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the culture clash between the English and the Chinese people in this novel. Where do we see the clash? How does the clash affect the events of the story?
Essay Topic 3
How does Tyler Brock fit the role of antagonist in this novel? Is he the only antagonist? If so, why? If not, who else can be seen as an antagonist and why?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)