|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who fills May-may in on everything that happened while she was ill?
2. Who threatens to charge Culum with treason if he doesn't deliver Dirk's papers to him?
3. What is the bark that might cure May-may but might also be a wives' tale?
4. Who is Dirk surprised to see at the factory during the storm?
5. What did the British government want Longstaff to take instead of Hong Kong?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What motivates Jin-qua to help save The Noble House? Are his intentions honorable or is he simply trying to help himself and using The Noble House as a pawn? Or, is there a little bit of honor and self-interest at the same time?
Essay Topic 2
How are the relationships between parents and their children represented in this novel? Do the relationships seem healthy? Why or why not? Are there differences between the ways sons and daughters are treated? If so, what are they?
Essay Topic 3
At the beginning of the novel, what is the financial situation of The Noble House? How did the company get into this situation? What is the deal between Jin-qua and Dirk and why is it necessary in saving The Noble House?
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)