|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who finds the bodies of Dirk and May-may?
2. Who threatens to charge Culum with treason if he doesn't deliver Dirk's papers to him?
3. Where does Brock plan to ride out the storm?
4. What makes Gordon angry about Dirk confronting him regarding the Triads?
5. When does Brock tell Dirk he will have anything to do with Tess and Culum after they are married?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Dirk and Captain Orlov sail back to Hong Kong in Chapter 42, why do they think they're getting old?
2. What causes the wages and costs in Hong Kong to rise above Dirk's expectations?
3. In Chapter 41, why does Culum tell Liza she cannot take Tess back to her home?
4. During the storm, how does one of Dirk's sailors die?
5. According to Culum, how did Dirk use him and Tess?
6. Why does Wu Kwok have Scragger killed?
7. May-may presents Yin-hsi to Dirk as a birthday gift. What is the real reason she gives the girl to Dirk?
8. Why do the Russians feel they must control China?
9. Why does Gorth go to the English club looking for Dirk?
10. Why does Dirk think Culum should spend more time with Jeff Cooper.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dirk Straun is the hero of this story. What does it mean to be a hero? How does Dirk fit the definition of a hero? What are some of his heroic acts?
Essay Topic 2
The rivalry between Dirk and Brock is enormous and is responsible for much of the action in the book. Why are these two characters such bitter rivals? What led to their current relationship and how does their relationship affect their companies and families?
Essay Topic 3
How does Tyler Brock fit the role of antagonist in this novel? Is he the only antagonist? If so, why? If not, who else can be seen as an antagonist and why?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)