|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is in the sack that Dirk finds in Aberdeen?
2. Which ship collides with the Boston Princess?
3. Who sent Monsey to Hong Kong?
4. Whose body is discovered in an alley near Chinatown?
5. What does Dirk want to do during his trip back to England?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Culum, how did Dirk use him and Tess?
2. In Chapter 41, why does Culum tell Liza she cannot take Tess back to her home?
3. How will Dirk and the others know when the eye of the storm is centered over Hong Kong?
4. What does Dirk think is the reason Culum cannot remember where he was in Macao?
5. Why does Dirk think Culum should spend more time with Jeff Cooper.
6. May-may presents Yin-hsi to Dirk as a birthday gift. What is the real reason she gives the girl to Dirk?
7. Why does Richard Crosse go by the name Roger Blore?
8. What does May-may say will happen to Yin-hsi if Dirk sends her away?
9. After May-may begins to recover from malaria, what does she tell Dirk she will do if he goes back to Hong Kong without her?
10. Why does Dirk instruct Gordon Chen to form a spy system?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What views of women are presented in this book? How do May-may, Mary Sinclair, Liza, and Tess represent those views?
Essay Topic 2
What motivates Jin-qua to help save The Noble House? Are his intentions honorable or is he simply trying to help himself and using The Noble House as a pawn? Or, is there a little bit of honor and self-interest at the same time?
Essay Topic 3
The rivalry between Dirk and Brock is enormous and is responsible for much of the action in the book. Why are these two characters such bitter rivals? What led to their current relationship and how does their relationship affect their companies and families?
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)