|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Dirk want to introduce Zergeyev around Washington, D.C.?
2. Who sent Monsey to Hong Kong?
3. In Chapter 40, for how many more days does Dirk tell May-may she has to drink the tea?
4. Whom does Culum ask to take care of the funeral arrangements for Dirk and May-may?
5. According to May-may, how did she hear of Yin-hsi?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 47, why does Dirk move May-may and the others to his factory in Happy Valley?
2. According to Culum, how did Dirk use him and Tess?
3. Why does Gorth go to the English club looking for Dirk?
4. Why do the Russians feel they must control China?
5. Why does Whalen send Monsey to Hong Kong to tell Longstaff he must leave?
6. In Chapter 49, why does Zergeyev think the Russians will now be able to dominate China?
7. At the end of the book, why does Gordon Chen think The Noble House is dead?
8. When Dirk and Brock meet to fight at the knoll, why do they begin to talk about the weather?
9. Why does Dirk instruct Gordon Chen to form a spy system?
10. Why does Dirk want to send Father Sebastian to Peru?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the importance of Hong Kong to the Chinese and to the British? How do the traders feel about the possession of Hong Kong?
Essay Topic 2
The rivalry between Dirk and Brock is enormous and is responsible for much of the action in the book. Why are these two characters such bitter rivals? What led to their current relationship and how does their relationship affect their companies and families?
Essay Topic 3
What changes does Culum undergo through the course of the novel? What causes the changes? Is he truly ready to be tai pan at the close of the novel?
This section contains 588 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)