|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dirk want to do during his trip back to England?
2. Where is the bishop's palace?
3. To whom does Dirk offer the job of head of the fleet?
4. In Chapter 40, for how many more days does Dirk tell May-may she has to drink the tea?
5. The bishop sends word to Dirk saying there may be cinchona bark at a mission where?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Dirk lie to Brock about Tess and Culum being poxed?
2. In Chapter 41, why does Culum tell Liza she cannot take Tess back to her home?
3. How is the White Witch damaged in Chapter 45?
4. When Dirk and Brock meet to fight at the knoll, why do they begin to talk about the weather?
5. What does May-may say will happen to Yin-hsi if Dirk sends her away?
6. How does Gordon Chen plan to hide the fact that he is the leader of the Triads in Hong Kong from Dirk after Dirk confronts him about whether he is a leader?
7. Why is May-may angry at the assassin who named Gordon Chen as the leader of the Triads?
8. During the storm, how does one of Dirk's sailors die?
9. What causes the wages and costs in Hong Kong to rise above Dirk's expectations?
10. After the typhoon, how does Skinner plan to publish the next issue of his paper?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What examples of marriage are portrayed in Tai-Pan? What seems to be the overall view of marriage based on these examples? Does the author use marriages with a purpose in mind? What is the purpose?
Essay Topic 2
Dirk takes many calculated risks throughout the course of the novel. What are the risks he takes? Are his risks wise or foolish? In other words, does Dirk succeed through luck or through shrewd business sense? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the culture clash between the English and the Chinese people in this novel. Where do we see the clash? How does the clash affect the events of the story?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)