|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Brock tell Dirk he will have anything to do with Tess and Culum after they are married?
2. Where does Brock plan to ride out the storm?
3. Who sent Monsey to Hong Kong?
4. Where do Culum and Dirk agree to have dinner together in Chapter 41?
5. According to May-may, how did she hear of Yin-hsi?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Dirk think the bishop might have cinchona bark?
2. Why does Dirk remind Gorth that it is against the law to murder a prostitute?
3. Why does Dirk instruct Gordon Chen to form a spy system?
4. Why does Dirk want to send Father Sebastian to Peru?
5. How does Gordon Chen plan to hide the fact that he is the leader of the Triads in Hong Kong from Dirk after Dirk confronts him about whether he is a leader?
6. Why does Gorth go to the English club looking for Dirk?
7. In Chapter 41, why does Culum tell Liza she cannot take Tess back to her home?
8. Why does Wu Kwok have Scragger killed?
9. According to Culum, how did Dirk use him and Tess?
10. What causes the wages and costs in Hong Kong to rise above Dirk's expectations?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the beginning of the novel, what is the financial situation of The Noble House? How did the company get into this situation? What is the deal between Jin-qua and Dirk and why is it necessary in saving The Noble House?
Essay Topic 2
What is the importance of Hong Kong to the Chinese and to the British? How do the traders feel about the possession of Hong Kong?
Essay Topic 3
Dirk Straun is the hero of this story. What does it mean to be a hero? How does Dirk fit the definition of a hero? What are some of his heroic acts?
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)