|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 50, who suggests to Culum that they join their houses?
2. The bishop sends word to Dirk saying there may be cinchona bark at a mission where?
3. Who does Dirk tell Brock is to blame for drugging Culum and taking him to a whorehouse?
4. What does Skinner's editorial urge the traders to do?
5. What is Roger Blore's real name?
Short Essay Questions
1. After May-may begins to recover from malaria, what does she tell Dirk she will do if he goes back to Hong Kong without her?
2. Why does Richard Crosse go by the name Roger Blore?
3. After the typhoon, how does Skinner plan to publish the next issue of his paper?
4. What does Dirk hope the information he leaks for the article in the Oriental Times will do?
5. Why is May-may angry at the assassin who named Gordon Chen as the leader of the Triads?
6. Why does Wu Kwok have Scragger killed?
7. In Chapter 47, why does Dirk move May-may and the others to his factory in Happy Valley?
8. Why does Whalen send Monsey to Hong Kong to tell Longstaff he must leave?
9. What causes the wages and costs in Hong Kong to rise above Dirk's expectations?
10. During the storm, how does one of Dirk's sailors die?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do Dirk and Brock decide to form their uneasy truce? What leads to the truce? Why is it important for these two characters to come to some sort of understanding? What might have happened if they had not called a truce?
Essay Topic 2
What motivates Jin-qua to help save The Noble House? Are his intentions honorable or is he simply trying to help himself and using The Noble House as a pawn? Or, is there a little bit of honor and self-interest at the same time?
Essay Topic 3
Why is the marriage of Tess and Culum so important to both Dirk and Brock? What do each of them stand to gain by either ensuring the marriage happens or preventing it from happening until a specific time? What effect does the marriage ultimately have on the two houses?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)