|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Dirk challenge to a duel?
2. Who does Culum accuse Dirk of using Culum and Tess's elopement to provoke?
3. In Chapter 37, who is the letter from that Culum delivers to Dirk?
4. In Chapter 49, what does Dirk order Orlov to do?
5. What does Dirk decide to do with May-may in Chapter 44?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Dirk want to send Father Sebastian to Peru?
2. What does Dirk hope the information he leaks for the article in the Oriental Times will do?
3. Why does Whalen send Monsey to Hong Kong to tell Longstaff he must leave?
4. How will Dirk and the others know when the eye of the storm is centered over Hong Kong?
5. After the typhoon, how does Skinner plan to publish the next issue of his paper?
6. What causes the wages and costs in Hong Kong to rise above Dirk's expectations?
7. May-may presents Yin-hsi to Dirk as a birthday gift. What is the real reason she gives the girl to Dirk?
8. Why is May-may angry at the assassin who named Gordon Chen as the leader of the Triads?
9. Why does Wu Kwok have Scragger killed?
10. Why does Dirk think the bishop might have cinchona bark?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role do the church and religion play in Tai-Pan? How does Dirk feel about religion and the church? How does May-may feel about religion? Why does she consider converting to Christianity and why does she decide against conversion?
Essay Topic 2
Why is the marriage of Tess and Culum so important to both Dirk and Brock? What do each of them stand to gain by either ensuring the marriage happens or preventing it from happening until a specific time? What effect does the marriage ultimately have on the two houses?
Essay Topic 3
The rivalry between Dirk and Brock is enormous and is responsible for much of the action in the book. Why are these two characters such bitter rivals? What led to their current relationship and how does their relationship affect their companies and families?
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)