|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the bishop say he was when the bark cured his malaria?
2. In Chapter 44, what is the only reason Dirk will allow himself to be disturbed when he returns home?
3. Who does Culum tell Dirk he will join The Noble House with?
4. Where is the bishop's palace?
5. What is Brock planning to do with Dirk when he summons him to the knoll?
Essay Topic 1
Why is the marriage of Tess and Culum so important to both Dirk and Brock? What do each of them stand to gain by either ensuring the marriage happens or preventing it from happening until a specific time? What effect does the marriage ultimately have on the two houses?
Essay Topic 2
What point of view is used to tell this story? Why is it necessary to use this point of view? Would another perspective work? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
What is the importance of honor in Chinese society? What role do honor and dignity play in Tai-Pan? How are they portrayed? Who shows honor and/or dignity? How?
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)