|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the bark to cure her of malaria given to May-may.
2. Who threatens to charge Culum with treason if he doesn't deliver Dirk's papers to him?
3. Whose body is discovered in an alley near Chinatown?
4. To whom does Dirk offer the job of head of the fleet?
5. What do Dirk and Wu Kwok both vow to do after Dirk finds the sack?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 41, why does Culum tell Liza she cannot take Tess back to her home?
2. Why does Dirk think the bishop might have cinchona bark?
3. Why does Dirk remind Gorth that it is against the law to murder a prostitute?
4. At the end of the book, why does Gordon Chen think The Noble House is dead?
5. After May-may begins to recover from malaria, what does she tell Dirk she will do if he goes back to Hong Kong without her?
6. In Chapter 47, why does Dirk move May-may and the others to his factory in Happy Valley?
7. Why does Dirk instruct Gordon Chen to form a spy system?
8. How does Gordon Chen plan to hide the fact that he is the leader of the Triads in Hong Kong from Dirk after Dirk confronts him about whether he is a leader?
9. Why is May-may angry at the assassin who named Gordon Chen as the leader of the Triads?
10. Why does Richard Crosse go by the name Roger Blore?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the importance of honor in Chinese society? What role do honor and dignity play in Tai-Pan? How are they portrayed? Who shows honor and/or dignity? How?
Essay Topic 2
What point of view is used to tell this story? Why is it necessary to use this point of view? Would another perspective work? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Dirk Straun is the hero of this story. What does it mean to be a hero? How does Dirk fit the definition of a hero? What are some of his heroic acts?
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)