|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which ship collides with the Boston Princess?
2. What name does Dirk suggest for the new town in Hong Kong?
3. Whom does Culum ask to take care of the funeral arrangements for Dirk and May-may?
4. In Chapter 44, what is the only reason Dirk will allow himself to be disturbed when he returns home?
5. What does Dirk offer the doctor if he can cure May-may?
Essay Topic 1
Why do Dirk and Brock decide to form their uneasy truce? What leads to the truce? Why is it important for these two characters to come to some sort of understanding? What might have happened if they had not called a truce?
Essay Topic 2
Gordon Chen is Dirk's son just as Culum is, yet he isn't even considered as an heir for The Noble House. Why? What is different about Gordon Chen in comparison to Culum that makes him a poor choice for the future tai pan?
Essay Topic 3
What is the importance of honor in Chinese society? What role do honor and dignity play in Tai-Pan? How are they portrayed? Who shows honor and/or dignity? How?
This section contains 874 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)