Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the bishop say he was when the bark cured his malaria?
2. In Chapter 44, what is the only reason Dirk will allow himself to be disturbed when he returns home?
3. Who does Culum tell Dirk he will join The Noble House with?
4. Where is the bishop's palace?
5. What is Brock planning to do with Dirk when he summons him to the knoll?
Essay Topic 1
There are several instances of symbolism in Tai-Pan, such as the half coins and the relationship between Dirk and May-may. Discuss the presence of symbolism in the novel, including what the symbols are and what they stand for.
Essay Topic 2
What role do the church and religion play in Tai-Pan? How does Dirk feel about religion and the church? How does May-may feel about religion? Why does she consider converting to Christianity and why does she decide against conversion?
Essay Topic 3
How does the setting, both physical and historical, affect the plot of Tai-Pan? What is the importance of picking this specific time in history to set the novel in? Could the story have worked in a different historical setting? Why or why not?
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)