|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Culum and Tess stay in Macao after their wedding?
2. At the beginning of Chapter 48, what is falling rapidly?
3. What is the bark that might cure May-may but might also be a wives' tale?
4. Why do some people believe the storm in Chapter 47 isn't a typhoon?
5. Who does Dirk tell Brock is to blame for drugging Culum and taking him to a whorehouse?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Whalen send Monsey to Hong Kong to tell Longstaff he must leave?
2. After May-may begins to recover from malaria, what does she tell Dirk she will do if he goes back to Hong Kong without her?
3. According to Culum, how did Dirk use him and Tess?
4. How is the White Witch damaged in Chapter 45?
5. How does Gordon Chen plan to hide the fact that he is the leader of the Triads in Hong Kong from Dirk after Dirk confronts him about whether he is a leader?
6. Why does Richard Crosse go by the name Roger Blore?
7. In Chapter 47, why does Dirk move May-may and the others to his factory in Happy Valley?
8. As Dirk and Captain Orlov sail back to Hong Kong in Chapter 42, why do they think they're getting old?
9. Why does Dirk lie to Brock about Tess and Culum being poxed?
10. Why does Dirk think Culum should spend more time with Jeff Cooper.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the culture clash between the English and the Chinese people in this novel. Where do we see the clash? How does the clash affect the events of the story?
Essay Topic 2
Dirk takes many calculated risks throughout the course of the novel. What are the risks he takes? Are his risks wise or foolish? In other words, does Dirk succeed through luck or through shrewd business sense? Why?
Essay Topic 3
At the beginning of the novel, what is the financial situation of The Noble House? How did the company get into this situation? What is the deal between Jin-qua and Dirk and why is it necessary in saving The Noble House?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)