|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter 48, what is falling rapidly?
2. Who left a briefcase with the bishop, which the bishop gives to Dirk?
3. How is the bark to cure her of malaria given to May-may.
4. When does Brock tell Dirk he will have anything to do with Tess and Culum after they are married?
5. Where does Brock plan to ride out the storm?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Dirk instruct Gordon Chen to form a spy system?
2. Why does Dirk remind Gorth that it is against the law to murder a prostitute?
3. After May-may begins to recover from malaria, what does she tell Dirk she will do if he goes back to Hong Kong without her?
4. How does Gordon Chen plan to hide the fact that he is the leader of the Triads in Hong Kong from Dirk after Dirk confronts him about whether he is a leader?
5. In Chapter 47, why does Dirk move May-may and the others to his factory in Happy Valley?
6. As Dirk and Captain Orlov sail back to Hong Kong in Chapter 42, why do they think they're getting old?
7. Why does Wu Kwok have Scragger killed?
8. Why does Whalen send Monsey to Hong Kong to tell Longstaff he must leave?
9. Why does Richard Crosse go by the name Roger Blore?
10. In Chapter 49, why does Zergeyev think the Russians will now be able to dominate China?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the importance of honor in Chinese society? What role do honor and dignity play in Tai-Pan? How are they portrayed? Who shows honor and/or dignity? How?
Essay Topic 2
What views of women are presented in this book? How do May-may, Mary Sinclair, Liza, and Tess represent those views?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the culture clash between the English and the Chinese people in this novel. Where do we see the clash? How does the clash affect the events of the story?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)