|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the bark to cure her of malaria given to May-may.
2. Who fills May-may in on everything that happened while she was ill?
3. According to the documents in the briefcase, who will be in position to take control of China in five years?
4. Who gives Culum the idea to elope with Tess?
5. What cuts off Glessing's arm?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the Russians feel they must control China?
2. What does Dirk hope the information he leaks for the article in the Oriental Times will do?
3. Why does Gorth go to the English club looking for Dirk?
4. In Chapter 47, why does Dirk move May-may and the others to his factory in Happy Valley?
5. How will Dirk and the others know when the eye of the storm is centered over Hong Kong?
6. Why does Dirk think the bishop might have cinchona bark?
7. As Dirk and Captain Orlov sail back to Hong Kong in Chapter 42, why do they think they're getting old?
8. How is the White Witch damaged in Chapter 45?
9. In Chapter 41, why does Culum tell Liza she cannot take Tess back to her home?
10. When Dirk and Brock meet to fight at the knoll, why do they begin to talk about the weather?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The rivalry between Dirk and Brock is enormous and is responsible for much of the action in the book. Why are these two characters such bitter rivals? What led to their current relationship and how does their relationship affect their companies and families?
Essay Topic 2
What views of women are presented in this book? How do May-may, Mary Sinclair, Liza, and Tess represent those views?
Essay Topic 3
There are several instances of symbolism in Tai-Pan, such as the half coins and the relationship between Dirk and May-may. Discuss the presence of symbolism in the novel, including what the symbols are and what they stand for.
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)