|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Skinner lose in the storm?
2. What does Dirk want to do during his trip back to England?
3. Who is the leader of the Triads in Macao?
4. What did the British government want Longstaff to take instead of Hong Kong?
5. Who threatens to charge Culum with treason if he doesn't deliver Dirk's papers to him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Wu Kwok have Scragger killed?
2. After the typhoon, how does Skinner plan to publish the next issue of his paper?
3. At the end of the book, why does Gordon Chen think The Noble House is dead?
4. Why does Dirk remind Gorth that it is against the law to murder a prostitute?
5. Why does Whalen send Monsey to Hong Kong to tell Longstaff he must leave?
6. In Chapter 49, why does Zergeyev think the Russians will now be able to dominate China?
7. Why is May-may angry at the assassin who named Gordon Chen as the leader of the Triads?
8. What causes the wages and costs in Hong Kong to rise above Dirk's expectations?
9. During the storm, how does one of Dirk's sailors die?
10. What does May-may say will happen to Yin-hsi if Dirk sends her away?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is the marriage of Tess and Culum so important to both Dirk and Brock? What do each of them stand to gain by either ensuring the marriage happens or preventing it from happening until a specific time? What effect does the marriage ultimately have on the two houses?
Essay Topic 2
There are several instances of symbolism in Tai-Pan, such as the half coins and the relationship between Dirk and May-may. Discuss the presence of symbolism in the novel, including what the symbols are and what they stand for.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the culture clash between the English and the Chinese people in this novel. Where do we see the clash? How does the clash affect the events of the story?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)