|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 50, who suggests to Culum that they join their houses?
2. In Chapter 47, what fails to fall before the storm?
3. In Chapter 34, who finds out that Mary Sinclair took herbs to cause an abortion?
4. What is Brock planning to do with Dirk when he summons him to the knoll?
5. How is the bark to cure her of malaria given to May-may.
Short Essay Questions
1. When Dirk and Brock meet to fight at the knoll, why do they begin to talk about the weather?
2. In Chapter 49, why does Zergeyev think the Russians will now be able to dominate China?
3. Why does Gorth go to the English club looking for Dirk?
4. Why does Dirk remind Gorth that it is against the law to murder a prostitute?
5. Why do the Russians feel they must control China?
6. What causes the wages and costs in Hong Kong to rise above Dirk's expectations?
7. In Chapter 41, why does Culum tell Liza she cannot take Tess back to her home?
8. In Chapter 47, why does Dirk move May-may and the others to his factory in Happy Valley?
9. Why does Dirk think Culum should spend more time with Jeff Cooper.
10. What does Dirk think is the reason Culum cannot remember where he was in Macao?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What examples of marriage are portrayed in Tai-Pan? What seems to be the overall view of marriage based on these examples? Does the author use marriages with a purpose in mind? What is the purpose?
Essay Topic 2
What motivates Jin-qua to help save The Noble House? Are his intentions honorable or is he simply trying to help himself and using The Noble House as a pawn? Or, is there a little bit of honor and self-interest at the same time?
Essay Topic 3
Why do Dirk and Brock decide to form their uneasy truce? What leads to the truce? Why is it important for these two characters to come to some sort of understanding? What might have happened if they had not called a truce?
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)