|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who fills May-may in on everything that happened while she was ill?
2. Who rings up a bill at the whorehouse that Dirk agrees to pay one last time?
3. What is Brock planning to do with Dirk when he summons him to the knoll?
4. How does Gordon respond to Dirk when Dirk asks him if he is the leader of the Triads in Hong Kong.
5. In Chapter 40, for how many more days does Dirk tell May-may she has to drink the tea?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Dirk lie to Brock about Tess and Culum being poxed?
2. How will Dirk and the others know when the eye of the storm is centered over Hong Kong?
3. Why is May-may angry at the assassin who named Gordon Chen as the leader of the Triads?
4. Why does Dirk remind Gorth that it is against the law to murder a prostitute?
5. As Dirk and Captain Orlov sail back to Hong Kong in Chapter 42, why do they think they're getting old?
6. At the end of the book, why does Gordon Chen think The Noble House is dead?
7. During the storm, how does one of Dirk's sailors die?
8. May-may presents Yin-hsi to Dirk as a birthday gift. What is the real reason she gives the girl to Dirk?
9. In Chapter 41, why does Culum tell Liza she cannot take Tess back to her home?
10. How is the White Witch damaged in Chapter 45?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the culture clash between the English and the Chinese people in this novel. Where do we see the clash? How does the clash affect the events of the story?
Essay Topic 2
Dirk takes many calculated risks throughout the course of the novel. What are the risks he takes? Are his risks wise or foolish? In other words, does Dirk succeed through luck or through shrewd business sense? Why?
Essay Topic 3
How does Tyler Brock fit the role of antagonist in this novel? Is he the only antagonist? If so, why? If not, who else can be seen as an antagonist and why?
This section contains 608 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)