|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When May-may learns she will survive the malaria, what does she contemplate doing but decides against?
2. Who does Culum accuse Dirk of using Culum and Tess's elopement to provoke?
3. How long does Dirk give Gordon to find out who the leader of the Triads in Hong Kong is?
4. Who is Dirk surprised to see at the factory during the storm?
5. What is the bark that might cure May-may but might also be a wives' tale?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 47, why does Dirk move May-may and the others to his factory in Happy Valley?
2. After the typhoon, how does Skinner plan to publish the next issue of his paper?
3. What does Dirk hope the information he leaks for the article in the Oriental Times will do?
4. What causes the wages and costs in Hong Kong to rise above Dirk's expectations?
5. When Dirk and Brock meet to fight at the knoll, why do they begin to talk about the weather?
6. At the end of the book, why does Gordon Chen think The Noble House is dead?
7. Why does Dirk think Culum should spend more time with Jeff Cooper.
8. How will Dirk and the others know when the eye of the storm is centered over Hong Kong?
9. In Chapter 49, why does Zergeyev think the Russians will now be able to dominate China?
10. In Chapter 41, why does Culum tell Liza she cannot take Tess back to her home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dirk Straun is the hero of this story. What does it mean to be a hero? How does Dirk fit the definition of a hero? What are some of his heroic acts?
Essay Topic 2
Gordon Chen is Dirk's son just as Culum is, yet he isn't even considered as an heir for The Noble House. Why? What is different about Gordon Chen in comparison to Culum that makes him a poor choice for the future tai pan?
Essay Topic 3
What is the importance of honor in Chinese society? What role do honor and dignity play in Tai-Pan? How are they portrayed? Who shows honor and/or dignity? How?
This section contains 619 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)