|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Dirk challenge to a duel?
2. Where do Culum and Tess stay in Macao after their wedding?
3. Where do Culum and Dirk agree to have dinner together in Chapter 41?
4. Whom does Culum ask to take care of the funeral arrangements for Dirk and May-may?
5. According to the documents in the briefcase, who will be in position to take control of China in five years?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 47, why does Dirk move May-may and the others to his factory in Happy Valley?
2. Why does Richard Crosse go by the name Roger Blore?
3. Why does Dirk think Culum should spend more time with Jeff Cooper.
4. What does Dirk hope the information he leaks for the article in the Oriental Times will do?
5. Why does Wu Kwok have Scragger killed?
6. In Chapter 49, why does Zergeyev think the Russians will now be able to dominate China?
7. After May-may begins to recover from malaria, what does she tell Dirk she will do if he goes back to Hong Kong without her?
8. Why is May-may angry at the assassin who named Gordon Chen as the leader of the Triads?
9. How is the White Witch damaged in Chapter 45?
10. When Dirk and Brock meet to fight at the knoll, why do they begin to talk about the weather?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The rivalry between Dirk and Brock is enormous and is responsible for much of the action in the book. Why are these two characters such bitter rivals? What led to their current relationship and how does their relationship affect their companies and families?
Essay Topic 2
What is the importance of honor in Chinese society? What role do honor and dignity play in Tai-Pan? How are they portrayed? Who shows honor and/or dignity? How?
Essay Topic 3
Why is the marriage of Tess and Culum so important to both Dirk and Brock? What do each of them stand to gain by either ensuring the marriage happens or preventing it from happening until a specific time? What effect does the marriage ultimately have on the two houses?
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)