|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When May-may learns she will survive the malaria, what does she contemplate doing but decides against?
2. When Dirk arrives at the harbor master's office, where are Tess and Culum?
3. What does Skinner's editorial urge the traders to do?
4. Who finds the bodies of Dirk and May-may?
5. What happens to Dirk's factory during the second round of the storm?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the White Witch damaged in Chapter 45?
2. In Chapter 41, why does Culum tell Liza she cannot take Tess back to her home?
3. Why does Wu Kwok have Scragger killed?
4. After May-may begins to recover from malaria, what does she tell Dirk she will do if he goes back to Hong Kong without her?
5. Why does Richard Crosse go by the name Roger Blore?
6. Why does Gorth go to the English club looking for Dirk?
7. How will Dirk and the others know when the eye of the storm is centered over Hong Kong?
8. What does Dirk think is the reason Culum cannot remember where he was in Macao?
9. Why do the Russians feel they must control China?
10. According to Culum, how did Dirk use him and Tess?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are several instances of symbolism in Tai-Pan, such as the half coins and the relationship between Dirk and May-may. Discuss the presence of symbolism in the novel, including what the symbols are and what they stand for.
Essay Topic 2
What role do the church and religion play in Tai-Pan? How does Dirk feel about religion and the church? How does May-may feel about religion? Why does she consider converting to Christianity and why does she decide against conversion?
Essay Topic 3
The rivalry between Dirk and Brock is enormous and is responsible for much of the action in the book. Why are these two characters such bitter rivals? What led to their current relationship and how does their relationship affect their companies and families?
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)