|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the bark that might cure May-may but might also be a wives' tale?
2. Why is Glessing angry with Longstaff in Chapter 47?
3. Where is the bishop's palace?
4. At the knoll, what lie does Dirk tell Brock about Tess?
5. Who is Dirk surprised to see at the factory during the storm?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Dirk remind Gorth that it is against the law to murder a prostitute?
2. What causes the wages and costs in Hong Kong to rise above Dirk's expectations?
3. Why does Gorth go to the English club looking for Dirk?
4. What does Dirk think is the reason Culum cannot remember where he was in Macao?
5. After the typhoon, how does Skinner plan to publish the next issue of his paper?
6. When Dirk and Brock meet to fight at the knoll, why do they begin to talk about the weather?
7. Why do the Russians feel they must control China?
8. How will Dirk and the others know when the eye of the storm is centered over Hong Kong?
9. How does Gordon Chen plan to hide the fact that he is the leader of the Triads in Hong Kong from Dirk after Dirk confronts him about whether he is a leader?
10. According to Culum, how did Dirk use him and Tess?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What motivates Jin-qua to help save The Noble House? Are his intentions honorable or is he simply trying to help himself and using The Noble House as a pawn? Or, is there a little bit of honor and self-interest at the same time?
Essay Topic 2
Why is the marriage of Tess and Culum so important to both Dirk and Brock? What do each of them stand to gain by either ensuring the marriage happens or preventing it from happening until a specific time? What effect does the marriage ultimately have on the two houses?
Essay Topic 3
Dirk takes many calculated risks throughout the course of the novel. What are the risks he takes? Are his risks wise or foolish? In other words, does Dirk succeed through luck or through shrewd business sense? Why?
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)