|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does May-may send to Macao when the epidemic begins?
2. What happens to Dirk as he is traveling back to the settlement in a sedan chair?
3. What do Sarah and Robb argue about before the ball?
4. What is Alexi Zergeyev's title?
5. What trade does Zergeyev offer Dirk as a monopoly in Russia?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Gordon Chen build up the Hung Mun in Hong Kong?
2. Why does Dirk view Hong Kong as a valuable prize?
3. How does Brock know about Dirk's financial problems?
4. Why isn't Sarah able to attend Dirk's ball?
5. Why does May-may think Tess and Culum should marry as quickly as possible?
6. Why does Jin-qua order Gordon Chen to do anything that May-may requests of him?
7. Why do the merchants think they will be attacked when they are at the Canton settlement?
8. Why is the note that Longstaff asks to have translated into Chinese puzzling to Horatio and Glessing?
9. What does Dirk do to keep the bullion on board his ship a secret when he reaches Hong Kong?
10. If Dirk is unable to save his company, what will become of Brock and why does the outcome bother Dirk?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dirk takes many calculated risks throughout the course of the novel. What are the risks he takes? Are his risks wise or foolish? In other words, does Dirk succeed through luck or through shrewd business sense? Why?
Essay Topic 2
What is the importance of Hong Kong to the Chinese and to the British? How do the traders feel about the possession of Hong Kong?
Essay Topic 3
How does Tyler Brock fit the role of antagonist in this novel? Is he the only antagonist? If so, why? If not, who else can be seen as an antagonist and why?
This section contains 608 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)