|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who instructs Gordon Chen to do whatever May-may wants?
2. What does Robb say Dirk and Brock's hatred will do to them in the end?
3. After Dirk flogs May-may, what does she tell him?
4. What does Dirk do to get into May-may's quarters after the two argue over her ball gown?
5. Who does the clerk tell Brock and Dirk has disappeared in Chapter 26?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the note that Longstaff asks to have translated into Chinese puzzling to Horatio and Glessing?
2. What does Brock do that causes Dirk to accuse him of piracy?
3. As Zergeyev is judging the gown contest, why does he try to find out who Dirk favors?
4. Why doesn't Dirk want to move their operations out of Happy Valley?
5. Why does Brock plan to replace his clipper ships with steam-powered ships?
6. Why do the merchants think they will be attacked when they are at the Canton settlement?
7. Why does Dirk have to be very careful when he travels to visit Jin-qua?
8. After finding May-may dressed in a ball gown with her hair styled like an English woman's, what does Dirk do to restore her dignity?
9. What is Dirk's reason for firing Captain Perry?
10. Why does Dirk view Hong Kong as a valuable prize?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the importance of honor in Chinese society? What role do honor and dignity play in Tai-Pan? How are they portrayed? Who shows honor and/or dignity? How?
Essay Topic 2
There are several instances of symbolism in Tai-Pan, such as the half coins and the relationship between Dirk and May-may. Discuss the presence of symbolism in the novel, including what the symbols are and what they stand for.
Essay Topic 3
What point of view is used to tell this story? Why is it necessary to use this point of view? Would another perspective work? Why or why not?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)