|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Ti-sen wearing when he is brought into the square?
2. What signals the beginning of the evening of festivities?
3. Where does Dirk tell Robb and Culum The Noble House is to be permanently headquartered?
4. Who is kept busy painting portraits of Robb's children?
5. What does Dirk do to get into May-may's quarters after the two argue over her ball gown?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Zergeyev is judging the gown contest, why does he try to find out who Dirk favors?
2. Why isn't Sarah able to attend Dirk's ball?
3. Why do Liza and Tess sail to Macao together?
4. Who are the three people that Dirk must send to England to receive an English education.
5. What are the stakes in the wager that Dirk and Zergeyev make on the prize fight?
6. When Brock is dressing for the ball, what does he try to hide from Liza?
7. After finding May-may dressed in a ball gown with her hair styled like an English woman's, what does Dirk do to restore her dignity?
8. How does Longstaff plan to break into China's tea monopoly?
9. How does Brock know about Dirk's financial problems?
10. What is Dirk's reason for firing Captain Perry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the importance of Hong Kong to the Chinese and to the British? How do the traders feel about the possession of Hong Kong?
Essay Topic 2
How are the relationships between parents and their children represented in this novel? Do the relationships seem healthy? Why or why not? Are there differences between the ways sons and daughters are treated? If so, what are they?
Essay Topic 3
What motivates Jin-qua to help save The Noble House? Are his intentions honorable or is he simply trying to help himself and using The Noble House as a pawn? Or, is there a little bit of honor and self-interest at the same time?
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)