|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What time does Dirk leave the ball to go see May-may?
2. According to Robb, what must arrive in London to keep him and Dirk out of financial trouble?
3. The Chinese call Straun and Company another name. What is it?
4. Where do the British plan to attack in Chapter 27?
5. What trade does Zergeyev offer Dirk as a monopoly in Russia?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Dirk oppose Longstaff's idea of evacuating Happy Valley?
2. How does Brock know about Dirk's financial problems?
3. What does Dirk do to keep the bullion on board his ship a secret when he reaches Hong Kong?
4. Why is the note that Longstaff asks to have translated into Chinese puzzling to Horatio and Glessing?
5. How does Longstaff plan to break into China's tea monopoly?
6. What does Sarah tell Dirk about Robb's last message to him?
7. Why does May-may think Tess and Culum should marry as quickly as possible?
8. What does Dirk believe he will be able to do if he gets the trade monopoly in Russia?
9. Why isn't Sarah able to attend Dirk's ball?
10. After finding May-may dressed in a ball gown with her hair styled like an English woman's, what does Dirk do to restore her dignity?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The rivalry between Dirk and Brock is enormous and is responsible for much of the action in the book. Why are these two characters such bitter rivals? What led to their current relationship and how does their relationship affect their companies and families?
Essay Topic 2
Dirk takes many calculated risks throughout the course of the novel. What are the risks he takes? Are his risks wise or foolish? In other words, does Dirk succeed through luck or through shrewd business sense? Why?
Essay Topic 3
What changes does Culum undergo through the course of the novel? What causes the changes? Is he truly ready to be tai pan at the close of the novel?
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)