Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 4, who is Dirk waiting to see in Canton?
2. What is Alexi Zergeyev's title?
3. Who greets Dirk while the men are unloading the barrels in Chapter 12?
4. In Chapter 3, how much time does Dirk have to save his trading company?
5. What signals the beginning of the evening of festivities?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Dirk think Culum should spend more time with Jeff Cooper.
2. In Chapter 47, why does Dirk move May-may and the others to his factory in Happy Valley?
3. How does Dirk feel about the way Culum solves the problem of the knoll?
4. Why does Dirk view Hong Kong as a valuable prize?
5. Why does Brock panic when Dirk pays his debt to Brock in silver?
6. Why isn't Sarah able to attend Dirk's ball?
7. What does Wu Fang Choi request from Dirk when he presents his half coin?
8. What does May-may say will happen to Yin-hsi if Dirk sends her away?
9. After finding May-may dressed in a ball gown with her hair styled like an English woman's, what does Dirk do to restore her dignity?
10. According to Culum, how did Dirk use him and Tess?
Essay Topic 1
How does the setting, both physical and historical, affect the plot of Tai-Pan? What is the importance of picking this specific time in history to set the novel in? Could the story have worked in a different historical setting? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Dirk takes many calculated risks throughout the course of the novel. What are the risks he takes? Are his risks wise or foolish? In other words, does Dirk succeed through luck or through shrewd business sense? Why?
Essay Topic 3
The rivalry between Dirk and Brock is enormous and is responsible for much of the action in the book. Why are these two characters such bitter rivals? What led to their current relationship and how does their relationship affect their companies and families?
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)