|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what does the feng shui expert say Dirk's house is built?
2. According to Captain Orlov, who will have blood on his hands when he becomes tai-pan.
3. The Chinese call Straun and Company another name. What is it?
4. Who orchestrates the run on Dirk's bank?
5. Which European woman is pregnant with a Chinese child?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why isn't Sarah able to attend Dirk's ball?
2. What are the stakes in the wager that Dirk and Zergeyev make on the prize fight?
3. Why does Dirk have to be very careful when he travels to visit Jin-qua?
4. What does Sarah tell Dirk about Robb's last message to him?
5. Why does Dirk oppose Longstaff's idea of evacuating Happy Valley?
6. Why is Dirk surprised to see Wu Fang Choi's ship in Hong Kong waters?
7. Why does Jin-qua order Gordon Chen to do anything that May-may requests of him?
8. Who are the three people that Dirk must send to England to receive an English education.
9. Why do Liza and Tess sail to Macao together?
10. After finding May-may dressed in a ball gown with her hair styled like an English woman's, what does Dirk do to restore her dignity?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the importance of honor in Chinese society? What role do honor and dignity play in Tai-Pan? How are they portrayed? Who shows honor and/or dignity? How?
Essay Topic 2
There are several instances of symbolism in Tai-Pan, such as the half coins and the relationship between Dirk and May-may. Discuss the presence of symbolism in the novel, including what the symbols are and what they stand for.
Essay Topic 3
Why is the marriage of Tess and Culum so important to both Dirk and Brock? What do each of them stand to gain by either ensuring the marriage happens or preventing it from happening until a specific time? What effect does the marriage ultimately have on the two houses?
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)