|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Dirk flogs May-may, what does she tell him?
2. Where do all of the traders decide to go if they are attacked by the Chinese?
3. In Chapter 1, who takes possession of Hong Kong?
4. In Chapter 3, how much time does Dirk have to save his trading company?
5. What does Wu Kwok give Dirk from the Scarlet Cloud?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Dirk have to be very careful when he travels to visit Jin-qua?
2. Why do the Chinese consider Ti-sen a traitor?
3. Who are the three people that Dirk must send to England to receive an English education.
4. Why does May-may think Tess and Culum should marry as quickly as possible?
5. What does Dirk believe he will be able to do if he gets the trade monopoly in Russia?
6. After finding May-may dressed in a ball gown with her hair styled like an English woman's, what does Dirk do to restore her dignity?
7. What does Wu Fang Choi request from Dirk when he presents his half coin?
8. As Zergeyev is judging the gown contest, why does he try to find out who Dirk favors?
9. How does Gordon Chen build up the Hung Mun in Hong Kong?
10. Why does Brock plan to replace his clipper ships with steam-powered ships?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What changes does Culum undergo through the course of the novel? What causes the changes? Is he truly ready to be tai pan at the close of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
How does Tyler Brock fit the role of antagonist in this novel? Is he the only antagonist? If so, why? If not, who else can be seen as an antagonist and why?
Essay Topic 3
What is the importance of honor in Chinese society? What role do honor and dignity play in Tai-Pan? How are they portrayed? Who shows honor and/or dignity? How?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)