|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Dirk say did not cheat him but rather outsmarted him?
2. What time does Dirk leave the ball to go see May-may?
3. What do Sarah and Robb argue about before the ball?
4. On what does the feng shui expert say Dirk's house is built?
5. When Dirk first visits the settlement, who sends a messenger requesting to see him immediately?
Short Essay Questions
1. If Dirk is unable to save his company, what will become of Brock and why does the outcome bother Dirk?
2. Why does Brock plan to replace his clipper ships with steam-powered ships?
3. Why does May-may think Tess and Culum should marry as quickly as possible?
4. Why is Dirk surprised to see Wu Fang Choi's ship in Hong Kong waters?
5. Why doesn't Dirk want to move their operations out of Happy Valley?
6. What does Sarah tell Dirk about Robb's last message to him?
7. Why is the note that Longstaff asks to have translated into Chinese puzzling to Horatio and Glessing?
8. Why does Dirk have to be very careful when he travels to visit Jin-qua?
9. What does Dirk believe he will be able to do if he gets the trade monopoly in Russia?
10. What does Brock do that causes Dirk to accuse him of piracy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the beginning of the novel, what is the financial situation of The Noble House? How did the company get into this situation? What is the deal between Jin-qua and Dirk and why is it necessary in saving The Noble House?
Essay Topic 2
Dirk takes many calculated risks throughout the course of the novel. What are the risks he takes? Are his risks wise or foolish? In other words, does Dirk succeed through luck or through shrewd business sense? Why?
Essay Topic 3
The rivalry between Dirk and Brock is enormous and is responsible for much of the action in the book. Why are these two characters such bitter rivals? What led to their current relationship and how does their relationship affect their companies and families?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)