|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Dirk tell Robb and Culum The Noble House is to be permanently headquartered?
2. Who does Dirk bet on in the prizefight?
3. Who is known as the Tai-Pan of Tai Ping Shan?
4. What is Alexi Zergeyev's title?
5. Whose ship rams Dirk's lorcha as he leaves the settlement following the order for all foreigners to leave?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Dirk's reason for firing Captain Perry?
2. Why isn't Sarah able to attend Dirk's ball?
3. After finding May-may dressed in a ball gown with her hair styled like an English woman's, what does Dirk do to restore her dignity?
4. Why does Dirk have to be very careful when he travels to visit Jin-qua?
5. As Zergeyev is judging the gown contest, why does he try to find out who Dirk favors?
6. How does Dirk feel about the way Culum solves the problem of the knoll?
7. Who are the three people that Dirk must send to England to receive an English education.
8. How does Longstaff plan to break into China's tea monopoly?
9. Why is the note that Longstaff asks to have translated into Chinese puzzling to Horatio and Glessing?
10. What does Dirk believe he will be able to do if he gets the trade monopoly in Russia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What examples of marriage are portrayed in Tai-Pan? What seems to be the overall view of marriage based on these examples? Does the author use marriages with a purpose in mind? What is the purpose?
Essay Topic 2
Why is the marriage of Tess and Culum so important to both Dirk and Brock? What do each of them stand to gain by either ensuring the marriage happens or preventing it from happening until a specific time? What effect does the marriage ultimately have on the two houses?
Essay Topic 3
Gordon Chen is Dirk's son just as Culum is, yet he isn't even considered as an heir for The Noble House. Why? What is different about Gordon Chen in comparison to Culum that makes him a poor choice for the future tai pan?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)