|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does it take the British to recapture Canton?
2. Whose ship rams Dirk's lorcha as he leaves the settlement following the order for all foreigners to leave?
3. How many nights of sleep does Culum lose over the knoll incident?
4. Who does Dirk bet on in the prizefight?
5. Who is kept busy painting portraits of Robb's children?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Gordon Chen build up the Hung Mun in Hong Kong?
2. What does Brock do that causes Dirk to accuse him of piracy?
3. Why does Dirk have to be very careful when he travels to visit Jin-qua?
4. Why does Dirk oppose Longstaff's idea of evacuating Happy Valley?
5. Why doesn't Dirk want to move their operations out of Happy Valley?
6. When Brock is dressing for the ball, what does he try to hide from Liza?
7. Why does Brock plan to replace his clipper ships with steam-powered ships?
8. Why does Brock panic when Dirk pays his debt to Brock in silver?
9. Why do the Chinese consider Ti-sen a traitor?
10. How does Dirk feel about the way Culum solves the problem of the knoll?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What views of women are presented in this book? How do May-may, Mary Sinclair, Liza, and Tess represent those views?
Essay Topic 2
How are the relationships between parents and their children represented in this novel? Do the relationships seem healthy? Why or why not? Are there differences between the ways sons and daughters are treated? If so, what are they?
Essay Topic 3
What point of view is used to tell this story? Why is it necessary to use this point of view? Would another perspective work? Why or why not?
This section contains 562 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)