|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the clerk tell Brock and Dirk has disappeared in Chapter 26?
2. According to Captain Orlov, who will have blood on his hands when he becomes tai-pan.
3. What is the amount of the ransom that the British receive for Canton?
4. Ti-sen agrees to loan Dirk money in exchange for Dirk agreeing to what being in Hong Kong?
5. What time does Dirk leave the ball to go see May-may?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why isn't Sarah able to attend Dirk's ball?
2. What does Wu Fang Choi request from Dirk when he presents his half coin?
3. Why does Brock plan to replace his clipper ships with steam-powered ships?
4. Why does Dirk oppose Longstaff's idea of evacuating Happy Valley?
5. What does Sarah tell Dirk about Robb's last message to him?
6. What are the stakes in the wager that Dirk and Zergeyev make on the prize fight?
7. Why is Dirk surprised to see Wu Fang Choi's ship in Hong Kong waters?
8. How does Gordon Chen build up the Hung Mun in Hong Kong?
9. What does Brock do that causes Dirk to accuse him of piracy?
10. When Brock is dressing for the ball, what does he try to hide from Liza?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the beginning of the novel, what is the financial situation of The Noble House? How did the company get into this situation? What is the deal between Jin-qua and Dirk and why is it necessary in saving The Noble House?
Essay Topic 2
Dirk Straun is the hero of this story. What does it mean to be a hero? How does Dirk fit the definition of a hero? What are some of his heroic acts?
Essay Topic 3
What views of women are presented in this book? How do May-may, Mary Sinclair, Liza, and Tess represent those views?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)