Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 4, who is Dirk waiting to see in Canton?
2. What is Alexi Zergeyev's title?
3. Who greets Dirk while the men are unloading the barrels in Chapter 12?
4. In Chapter 3, how much time does Dirk have to save his trading company?
5. What signals the beginning of the evening of festivities?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Dirk think Culum should spend more time with Jeff Cooper.
2. In Chapter 47, why does Dirk move May-may and the others to his factory in Happy Valley?
3. How does Dirk feel about the way Culum solves the problem of the knoll?
4. Why does Dirk view Hong Kong as a valuable prize?
5. Why does Brock panic when Dirk pays his debt to Brock in silver?
6. Why isn't Sarah able to attend Dirk's ball?
7. What does Wu Fang Choi request from Dirk when he presents his half coin?
8. What does May-may say will happen to Yin-hsi if Dirk sends her away?
9. After finding May-may dressed in a ball gown with her hair styled like an English woman's, what does Dirk do to restore her dignity?
10. According to Culum, how did Dirk use him and Tess?
Essay Topic 1
What is the importance of Hong Kong to the Chinese and to the British? How do the traders feel about the possession of Hong Kong?
Essay Topic 2
Why do Dirk and Brock decide to form their uneasy truce? What leads to the truce? Why is it important for these two characters to come to some sort of understanding? What might have happened if they had not called a truce?
Essay Topic 3
What point of view is used to tell this story? Why is it necessary to use this point of view? Would another perspective work? Why or why not?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)