|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Zergeyev promise to send to Dirk and Longstaff?
2. Whose proposal of marriage does Mary Sinclair accept?
3. What is Alexi Zergeyev's title?
4. What do May-may and Ah-Sam use to see Dirk on his boat during the festivities?
5. In Dirk's dispatch to Robb, what does he instruct Robb to do in Hong Kong?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Dirk have to be very careful when he travels to visit Jin-qua?
2. How does Dirk feel about the way Culum solves the problem of the knoll?
3. How is the White Witch damaged in Chapter 45?
4. What does May-may say will happen to Yin-hsi if Dirk sends her away?
5. In Chapter 47, why does Dirk move May-may and the others to his factory in Happy Valley?
6. When Dirk and Brock meet to fight at the knoll, why do they begin to talk about the weather?
7. How does Longstaff plan to break into China's tea monopoly?
8. Why does Dirk instruct Gordon Chen to form a spy system?
9. What does Dirk think is the reason Culum cannot remember where he was in Macao?
10. What causes the wages and costs in Hong Kong to rise above Dirk's expectations?
Essay Topic 1
What changes does Culum undergo through the course of the novel? What causes the changes? Is he truly ready to be tai pan at the close of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
What is the importance of honor in Chinese society? What role do honor and dignity play in Tai-Pan? How are they portrayed? Who shows honor and/or dignity? How?
Essay Topic 3
How does Tyler Brock fit the role of antagonist in this novel? Is he the only antagonist? If so, why? If not, who else can be seen as an antagonist and why?
This section contains 1,230 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)