|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who greets Dirk while the men are unloading the barrels in Chapter 12?
2. When does Dirk leave May-may's room on the night of the ball?
3. According to Robb, what must arrive in London to keep him and Dirk out of financial trouble?
4. After Dirk flogs May-may, what does she tell him?
5. With whom is May-May waiting in Dirk's quarters when he returns from his first meeting with Jin-qua?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Longstaff plan to break into China's tea monopoly?
2. Why does Dirk oppose Longstaff's idea of evacuating Happy Valley?
3. Why is Dirk surprised to see Wu Fang Choi's ship in Hong Kong waters?
4. What does Dirk believe he will be able to do if he gets the trade monopoly in Russia?
5. What does Dirk do to keep the bullion on board his ship a secret when he reaches Hong Kong?
6. What is Dirk's reason for firing Captain Perry?
7. What does Wu Fang Choi request from Dirk when he presents his half coin?
8. Why is the note that Longstaff asks to have translated into Chinese puzzling to Horatio and Glessing?
9. Why does Brock plan to replace his clipper ships with steam-powered ships?
10. What does Sarah tell Dirk about Robb's last message to him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What point of view is used to tell this story? Why is it necessary to use this point of view? Would another perspective work? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the culture clash between the English and the Chinese people in this novel. Where do we see the clash? How does the clash affect the events of the story?
Essay Topic 3
What views of women are presented in this book? How do May-may, Mary Sinclair, Liza, and Tess represent those views?
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)