|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Dirk bet on in the prizefight?
2. Who wins the ball gown contest?
3. Who is Wu Kwok's father?
4. When Dirk first visits the settlement, who sends a messenger requesting to see him immediately?
5. According to Captain Scragger, when will Wu Kwok be in Quemony?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the note that Longstaff asks to have translated into Chinese puzzling to Horatio and Glessing?
2. Why does May-may think Tess and Culum should marry as quickly as possible?
3. Why do the Chinese consider Ti-sen a traitor?
4. Why doesn't Dirk want to move their operations out of Happy Valley?
5. If Dirk is unable to save his company, what will become of Brock and why does the outcome bother Dirk?
6. How does Dirk feel about the way Culum solves the problem of the knoll?
7. Why isn't Sarah able to attend Dirk's ball?
8. Why does Dirk view Hong Kong as a valuable prize?
9. Why do Liza and Tess sail to Macao together?
10. When Brock is dressing for the ball, what does he try to hide from Liza?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What changes does Culum undergo through the course of the novel? What causes the changes? Is he truly ready to be tai pan at the close of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Dirk Straun is the hero of this story. What does it mean to be a hero? How does Dirk fit the definition of a hero? What are some of his heroic acts?
Essay Topic 3
How are the relationships between parents and their children represented in this novel? Do the relationships seem healthy? Why or why not? Are there differences between the ways sons and daughters are treated? If so, what are they?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)