|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Captain Scragger, when will Wu Kwok be in Quemony?
2. Who is May-may?
3. What ship did Dirk and Brock both work on as teenagers?
4. Who does Dirk find lying dead in his bed?
5. In what village does Dirk wait for Wu Kwok?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Zergeyev is judging the gown contest, why does he try to find out who Dirk favors?
2. Who are the three people that Dirk must send to England to receive an English education.
3. What does Sarah tell Dirk about Robb's last message to him?
4. Why do the Chinese consider Ti-sen a traitor?
5. When Brock is dressing for the ball, what does he try to hide from Liza?
6. Why do Liza and Tess sail to Macao together?
7. Why do the merchants think they will be attacked when they are at the Canton settlement?
8. How does Gordon Chen build up the Hung Mun in Hong Kong?
9. How does Dirk feel about the way Culum solves the problem of the knoll?
10. Why does Dirk have to be very careful when he travels to visit Jin-qua?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the beginning of the novel, what is the financial situation of The Noble House? How did the company get into this situation? What is the deal between Jin-qua and Dirk and why is it necessary in saving The Noble House?
Essay Topic 2
What is the importance of Hong Kong to the Chinese and to the British? How do the traders feel about the possession of Hong Kong?
Essay Topic 3
The rivalry between Dirk and Brock is enormous and is responsible for much of the action in the book. Why are these two characters such bitter rivals? What led to their current relationship and how does their relationship affect their companies and families?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)