|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is in the kerchief that Scragger's son gives Dirk?
2. According to Captain Scragger, when will Wu Kwok be in Quemony?
3. What is Alexi Zergeyev's title?
4. Ti-sen agrees to loan Dirk money in exchange for Dirk agreeing to what being in Hong Kong?
5. When does Dirk leave May-may's room on the night of the ball?
Short Essay Questions
1. After finding May-may dressed in a ball gown with her hair styled like an English woman's, what does Dirk do to restore her dignity?
2. Why is Dirk surprised to see Wu Fang Choi's ship in Hong Kong waters?
3. Why do the Chinese consider Ti-sen a traitor?
4. What does Brock do that causes Dirk to accuse him of piracy?
5. What is Dirk's reason for firing Captain Perry?
6. How does Brock know about Dirk's financial problems?
7. What does Sarah tell Dirk about Robb's last message to him?
8. Why does Jin-qua order Gordon Chen to do anything that May-may requests of him?
9. Why does Dirk oppose Longstaff's idea of evacuating Happy Valley?
10. Who are the three people that Dirk must send to England to receive an English education.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dirk Straun is the hero of this story. What does it mean to be a hero? How does Dirk fit the definition of a hero? What are some of his heroic acts?
Essay Topic 2
Why do Dirk and Brock decide to form their uneasy truce? What leads to the truce? Why is it important for these two characters to come to some sort of understanding? What might have happened if they had not called a truce?
Essay Topic 3
At the beginning of the novel, what is the financial situation of The Noble House? How did the company get into this situation? What is the deal between Jin-qua and Dirk and why is it necessary in saving The Noble House?
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)