|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of a ship do Dirk and Culum see from the mountain?
2. Who buys the knoll to build a church?
3. Where do all of the traders decide to go if they are attacked by the Chinese?
4. What is in the kerchief that Scragger's son gives Dirk?
5. When Dirk first visits the settlement, who sends a messenger requesting to see him immediately?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Longstaff plan to break into China's tea monopoly?
2. Who are the three people that Dirk must send to England to receive an English education.
3. Why is Dirk surprised to see Wu Fang Choi's ship in Hong Kong waters?
4. How does Gordon Chen build up the Hung Mun in Hong Kong?
5. Why is the note that Longstaff asks to have translated into Chinese puzzling to Horatio and Glessing?
6. After finding May-may dressed in a ball gown with her hair styled like an English woman's, what does Dirk do to restore her dignity?
7. What are the stakes in the wager that Dirk and Zergeyev make on the prize fight?
8. If Dirk is unable to save his company, what will become of Brock and why does the outcome bother Dirk?
9. Why do the merchants think they will be attacked when they are at the Canton settlement?
10. Why does Jin-qua order Gordon Chen to do anything that May-may requests of him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do Dirk and Brock decide to form their uneasy truce? What leads to the truce? Why is it important for these two characters to come to some sort of understanding? What might have happened if they had not called a truce?
Essay Topic 2
What role do the church and religion play in Tai-Pan? How does Dirk feel about religion and the church? How does May-may feel about religion? Why does she consider converting to Christianity and why does she decide against conversion?
Essay Topic 3
What is the importance of Hong Kong to the Chinese and to the British? How do the traders feel about the possession of Hong Kong?
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)