|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What time does Dirk leave the ball to go see May-may?
2. Who is May-may?
3. Why is Longstaff tired of Hong Kong?
4. Whose ship rams Dirk's lorcha as he leaves the settlement following the order for all foreigners to leave?
5. According to Captain Orlov, who will have blood on his hands when he becomes tai-pan.
Short Essay Questions
1. When Brock is dressing for the ball, what does he try to hide from Liza?
2. What causes the wages and costs in Hong Kong to rise above Dirk's expectations?
3. What is Dirk's reason for firing Captain Perry?
4. What are the stakes in the wager that Dirk and Zergeyev make on the prize fight?
5. Why is May-may angry at the assassin who named Gordon Chen as the leader of the Triads?
6. Why does Dirk have to be very careful when he travels to visit Jin-qua?
7. Why does Dirk lie to Brock about Tess and Culum being poxed?
8. As Zergeyev is judging the gown contest, why does he try to find out who Dirk favors?
9. What does Sarah tell Dirk about Robb's last message to him?
10. Why does Brock plan to replace his clipper ships with steam-powered ships?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Tyler Brock fit the role of antagonist in this novel? Is he the only antagonist? If so, why? If not, who else can be seen as an antagonist and why?
Essay Topic 2
What is the importance of honor in Chinese society? What role do honor and dignity play in Tai-Pan? How are they portrayed? Who shows honor and/or dignity? How?
Essay Topic 3
What changes does Culum undergo through the course of the novel? What causes the changes? Is he truly ready to be tai pan at the close of the novel?
This section contains 1,285 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)