|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 6, what does Brock suggest that he and Dirk do?
2. Who is known as the Tai-Pan of Tai Ping Shan?
3. Who writes a letter that angers Ti-sen?
4. What ship did Dirk and Brock both work on as teenagers?
5. In Chapter 13, what does Liza tell Brock is her reason for sailing to Macao?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does May-may think Tess and Culum should marry as quickly as possible?
2. What does Brock do that causes Dirk to accuse him of piracy?
3. What does Dirk do to keep the bullion on board his ship a secret when he reaches Hong Kong?
4. Why does Dirk oppose Longstaff's idea of evacuating Happy Valley?
5. If Dirk is unable to save his company, what will become of Brock and why does the outcome bother Dirk?
6. What does Dirk believe he will be able to do if he gets the trade monopoly in Russia?
7. How does Brock know about Dirk's financial problems?
8. What does Sarah tell Dirk about Robb's last message to him?
9. Why does Dirk have to be very careful when he travels to visit Jin-qua?
10. After finding May-may dressed in a ball gown with her hair styled like an English woman's, what does Dirk do to restore her dignity?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The rivalry between Dirk and Brock is enormous and is responsible for much of the action in the book. Why are these two characters such bitter rivals? What led to their current relationship and how does their relationship affect their companies and families?
Essay Topic 2
Gordon Chen is Dirk's son just as Culum is, yet he isn't even considered as an heir for The Noble House. Why? What is different about Gordon Chen in comparison to Culum that makes him a poor choice for the future tai pan?
Essay Topic 3
Dirk takes many calculated risks throughout the course of the novel. What are the risks he takes? Are his risks wise or foolish? In other words, does Dirk succeed through luck or through shrewd business sense? Why?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)