|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Chinese call Straun and Company another name. What is it?
2. How many nights of sleep does Culum lose over the knoll incident?
3. Why do Robb and Liza leave the ball?
4. What signals the beginning of the evening of festivities?
5. What organizations are the fighters for the prizefight from?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Liza and Tess sail to Macao together?
2. Why does Dirk view Hong Kong as a valuable prize?
3. According to Culum, how did Dirk use him and Tess?
4. Why do the Chinese consider Ti-sen a traitor?
5. Why does Dirk think Culum should spend more time with Jeff Cooper.
6. Why does Dirk lie to Brock about Tess and Culum being poxed?
7. Why does Jin-qua order Gordon Chen to do anything that May-may requests of him?
8. When Dirk and Brock meet to fight at the knoll, why do they begin to talk about the weather?
9. Why does Brock panic when Dirk pays his debt to Brock in silver?
10. Why doesn't Dirk want to move their operations out of Happy Valley?
Essay Topic 1
What point of view is used to tell this story? Why is it necessary to use this point of view? Would another perspective work? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
At the beginning of the novel, what is the financial situation of The Noble House? How did the company get into this situation? What is the deal between Jin-qua and Dirk and why is it necessary in saving The Noble House?
Essay Topic 3
Dirk Straun is the hero of this story. What does it mean to be a hero? How does Dirk fit the definition of a hero? What are some of his heroic acts?
This section contains 1,240 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)