|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dirk do to get into May-may's quarters after the two argue over her ball gown?
2. Who is May-may?
3. With whom does Dirk set sail prior to the ball?
4. Which European woman is pregnant with a Chinese child?
5. What is the amount of the ransom that the British receive for Canton?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Gordon Chen build up the Hung Mun in Hong Kong?
2. What does Brock do that causes Dirk to accuse him of piracy?
3. When Brock is dressing for the ball, what does he try to hide from Liza?
4. Why is the note that Longstaff asks to have translated into Chinese puzzling to Horatio and Glessing?
5. Why does Brock panic when Dirk pays his debt to Brock in silver?
6. What does Dirk believe he will be able to do if he gets the trade monopoly in Russia?
7. Why isn't Sarah able to attend Dirk's ball?
8. Why does Dirk oppose Longstaff's idea of evacuating Happy Valley?
9. What does Dirk do to keep the bullion on board his ship a secret when he reaches Hong Kong?
10. What are the stakes in the wager that Dirk and Zergeyev make on the prize fight?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the importance of Hong Kong to the Chinese and to the British? How do the traders feel about the possession of Hong Kong?
Essay Topic 2
What point of view is used to tell this story? Why is it necessary to use this point of view? Would another perspective work? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
What is the importance of honor in Chinese society? What role do honor and dignity play in Tai-Pan? How are they portrayed? Who shows honor and/or dignity? How?
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)