Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 4, who is Dirk waiting to see in Canton?
2. What is Alexi Zergeyev's title?
3. Who greets Dirk while the men are unloading the barrels in Chapter 12?
4. In Chapter 3, how much time does Dirk have to save his trading company?
5. What signals the beginning of the evening of festivities?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Dirk think Culum should spend more time with Jeff Cooper.
2. In Chapter 47, why does Dirk move May-may and the others to his factory in Happy Valley?
3. How does Dirk feel about the way Culum solves the problem of the knoll?
4. Why does Dirk view Hong Kong as a valuable prize?
5. Why does Brock panic when Dirk pays his debt to Brock in silver?
6. Why isn't Sarah able to attend Dirk's ball?
7. What does Wu Fang Choi request from Dirk when he presents his half coin?
8. What does May-may say will happen to Yin-hsi if Dirk sends her away?
9. After finding May-may dressed in a ball gown with her hair styled like an English woman's, what does Dirk do to restore her dignity?
10. According to Culum, how did Dirk use him and Tess?
Essay Topic 1
What is the importance of honor in Chinese society? What role do honor and dignity play in Tai-Pan? How are they portrayed? Who shows honor and/or dignity? How?
Essay Topic 2
What views of women are presented in this book? How do May-may, Mary Sinclair, Liza, and Tess represent those views?
Essay Topic 3
What examples of marriage are portrayed in Tai-Pan? What seems to be the overall view of marriage based on these examples? Does the author use marriages with a purpose in mind? What is the purpose?
This section contains 1,238 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)