|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What office does Dirk plan to run for?
2. Who halts all trade between the Chinese and the foreigners?
3. What activity will end the day of festivities?
4. Who is Wu Kwok's father?
5. What do May-may and Ah-Sam use to see Dirk on his boat during the festivities?
Short Essay Questions
1. After finding May-may dressed in a ball gown with her hair styled like an English woman's, what does Dirk do to restore her dignity?
2. How does Longstaff plan to break into China's tea monopoly?
3. Why do Liza and Tess sail to Macao together?
4. What does Sarah tell Dirk about Robb's last message to him?
5. Why does Brock panic when Dirk pays his debt to Brock in silver?
6. What does Dirk do to keep the bullion on board his ship a secret when he reaches Hong Kong?
7. Why doesn't Dirk want to move their operations out of Happy Valley?
8. How does Dirk feel about the way Culum solves the problem of the knoll?
9. Why isn't Sarah able to attend Dirk's ball?
10. Why does Dirk oppose Longstaff's idea of evacuating Happy Valley?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gordon Chen is Dirk's son just as Culum is, yet he isn't even considered as an heir for The Noble House. Why? What is different about Gordon Chen in comparison to Culum that makes him a poor choice for the future tai pan?
Essay Topic 2
What examples of marriage are portrayed in Tai-Pan? What seems to be the overall view of marriage based on these examples? Does the author use marriages with a purpose in mind? What is the purpose?
Essay Topic 3
What role do the church and religion play in Tai-Pan? How does Dirk feel about religion and the church? How does May-may feel about religion? Why does she consider converting to Christianity and why does she decide against conversion?
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)