|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what village does Dirk wait for Wu Kwok?
2. What do Dirk and Culum press Brock to grant Culum?
3. When Dirk returns home after the ball, who is waiting for him in his living room?
4. Who does May-may send to Macao when the epidemic begins?
5. What do May-may and Ah-Sam use to see Dirk on his boat during the festivities?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Brock panic when Dirk pays his debt to Brock in silver?
2. Why do the Chinese consider Ti-sen a traitor?
3. Why does Dirk have to be very careful when he travels to visit Jin-qua?
4. How does Longstaff plan to break into China's tea monopoly?
5. Why does Brock plan to replace his clipper ships with steam-powered ships?
6. How does Gordon Chen build up the Hung Mun in Hong Kong?
7. As Zergeyev is judging the gown contest, why does he try to find out who Dirk favors?
8. Why do Liza and Tess sail to Macao together?
9. What does Sarah tell Dirk about Robb's last message to him?
10. Why isn't Sarah able to attend Dirk's ball?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the beginning of the novel, what is the financial situation of The Noble House? How did the company get into this situation? What is the deal between Jin-qua and Dirk and why is it necessary in saving The Noble House?
Essay Topic 2
Dirk takes many calculated risks throughout the course of the novel. What are the risks he takes? Are his risks wise or foolish? In other words, does Dirk succeed through luck or through shrewd business sense? Why?
Essay Topic 3
How does the setting, both physical and historical, affect the plot of Tai-Pan? What is the importance of picking this specific time in history to set the novel in? Could the story have worked in a different historical setting? Why or why not?
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)