|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does May-may help Mary Sinclair to arrange?
2. What does May-may ask Dirk to do after their argument over her ball gown?
3. Who is known as the Tai-Pan of Tai Ping Shan?
4. The Chinese call Straun and Company another name. What is it?
5. Whose proposal of marriage does Mary Sinclair accept?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Wu Fang Choi request from Dirk when he presents his half coin?
2. After finding May-may dressed in a ball gown with her hair styled like an English woman's, what does Dirk do to restore her dignity?
3. How does Longstaff plan to break into China's tea monopoly?
4. Who are the three people that Dirk must send to England to receive an English education.
5. Why is Dirk surprised to see Wu Fang Choi's ship in Hong Kong waters?
6. Why does Dirk oppose Longstaff's idea of evacuating Happy Valley?
7. What are the stakes in the wager that Dirk and Zergeyev make on the prize fight?
8. Why do the Chinese consider Ti-sen a traitor?
9. Why does May-may think Tess and Culum should marry as quickly as possible?
10. As Zergeyev is judging the gown contest, why does he try to find out who Dirk favors?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How are the relationships between parents and their children represented in this novel? Do the relationships seem healthy? Why or why not? Are there differences between the ways sons and daughters are treated? If so, what are they?
Essay Topic 2
What role do the church and religion play in Tai-Pan? How does Dirk feel about religion and the church? How does May-may feel about religion? Why does she consider converting to Christianity and why does she decide against conversion?
Essay Topic 3
What motivates Jin-qua to help save The Noble House? Are his intentions honorable or is he simply trying to help himself and using The Noble House as a pawn? Or, is there a little bit of honor and self-interest at the same time?
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)