|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dirk decide to do with May-may in Chapter 44?
(a) Sell her.
(b) Leave her.
(c) Murder her.
(d) Marry her.
2. What does the bishop tell Dirk he owes the church for the bark to cure May-may?
(a) 1,000 pounds.
(b) His devotion.
(c) A ship load of tea.
3. To whom does Dirk offer the job of head of the fleet?
(d) Captain Orlov.
4. What makes Gordon angry about Dirk confronting him regarding the Triads?
(a) He is hurt that Dirk doesn't trust him.
(b) The assassin talked.
(c) May-may told Dirk about Gordon's leadership position.
(d) Dirk is lying.
5. When does Brock tell Dirk he will have anything to do with Tess and Culum after they are married?
(a) When Brock is tai-pan.
(b) When Tess has her first child.
(d) When Culum is tai-pan.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dirk tell Culum and Tess they are a part of regardless of what Brock says?
2. What does Skinner's editorial urge the traders to do?
3. When Dirk arrives at the harbor master's office, where are Tess and Culum?
4. In Chapter 42, how many days ahead of Dirk's ship is Brock's ship on the way to England?
5. Who performs the marriage of Culum and Tess?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Dirk think Culum should spend more time with Jeff Cooper.
2. Why does Dirk lie to Brock about Tess and Culum being poxed?
3. May-may presents Yin-hsi to Dirk as a birthday gift. What is the real reason she gives the girl to Dirk?
4. What does Dirk hope the information he leaks for the article in the Oriental Times will do?
5. How is the White Witch damaged in Chapter 45?
6. According to Culum, how did Dirk use him and Tess?
7. Why do the Russians feel they must control China?
8. How does Gordon Chen plan to hide the fact that he is the leader of the Triads in Hong Kong from Dirk after Dirk confronts him about whether he is a leader?
9. After the typhoon, how does Skinner plan to publish the next issue of his paper?
10. As Dirk and Captain Orlov sail back to Hong Kong in Chapter 42, why do they think they're getting old?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)