|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who fills May-may in on everything that happened while she was ill?
(c) Mary Sinclair.
2. In Chapter 34, who finds out that Mary Sinclair took herbs to cause an abortion?
(d) Gordon Chen.
3. What does Dirk set up a partnership with Cooper to trade?
(a) Cinchona bark.
(b) Chinese slaves.
4. With what kind of juice does May-may start taking her medicine?
5. What did the British government want Longstaff to take instead of Hong Kong?
(b) Control of all Chinese trade.
(c) Mainland China.
(d) Five or six Chinese ports.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who finds the bodies of Dirk and May-may?
2. What name does Dirk suggest for the new town in Hong Kong?
3. What do Dirk and Wu Kwok both vow to do after Dirk finds the sack?
4. Who rings up a bill at the whorehouse that Dirk agrees to pay one last time?
5. Who sent Monsey to Hong Kong?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is May-may angry at the assassin who named Gordon Chen as the leader of the Triads?
2. Why does Wu Kwok have Scragger killed?
3. What causes the wages and costs in Hong Kong to rise above Dirk's expectations?
4. At the end of the book, why does Gordon Chen think The Noble House is dead?
5. In Chapter 47, why does Dirk move May-may and the others to his factory in Happy Valley?
6. May-may presents Yin-hsi to Dirk as a birthday gift. What is the real reason she gives the girl to Dirk?
7. Why does Dirk instruct Gordon Chen to form a spy system?
8. According to Culum, how did Dirk use him and Tess?
9. Why does Richard Crosse go by the name Roger Blore?
10. As Dirk and Captain Orlov sail back to Hong Kong in Chapter 42, why do they think they're getting old?
This section contains 572 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)