|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Skinner's editorial urge the traders to do?
(a) Purchase tea.
(b) Discredit Cunningham.
(c) Leave China.
(d) Purchase opium.
2. With what kind of juice does May-may start taking her medicine?
3. What does Dirk want to do during his trip back to England?
(a) Attack the pirate fleet.
(b) Marry May-may.
(c) Send a letter to Zergeyev.
(d) Sleep many hours.
4. What does Dirk decide to do with May-may in Chapter 44?
(a) Sell her.
(b) Leave her.
(c) Murder her.
(d) Marry her.
5. In Chapter 34, who finds out that Mary Sinclair took herbs to cause an abortion?
(d) Gordon Chen.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Culum ask to take care of the funeral arrangements for Dirk and May-may?
2. Who secretly owns the Oriental Times?
3. At the knoll, what lie does Dirk tell Brock about Tess?
4. Who does Culum tell Brock gave him the idea to elope with Tess?
5. Who left a briefcase with the bishop, which the bishop gives to Dirk?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Dirk and Captain Orlov sail back to Hong Kong in Chapter 42, why do they think they're getting old?
2. May-may presents Yin-hsi to Dirk as a birthday gift. What is the real reason she gives the girl to Dirk?
3. In Chapter 49, why does Zergeyev think the Russians will now be able to dominate China?
4. At the end of the book, why does Gordon Chen think The Noble House is dead?
5. How will Dirk and the others know when the eye of the storm is centered over Hong Kong?
6. Why does Dirk instruct Gordon Chen to form a spy system?
7. Why does Gorth go to the English club looking for Dirk?
8. In Chapter 47, why does Dirk move May-may and the others to his factory in Happy Valley?
9. What does Dirk hope the information he leaks for the article in the Oriental Times will do?
10. Why does Wu Kwok have Scragger killed?
This section contains 558 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)