|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 44, what is the only reason Dirk will allow himself to be disturbed when he returns home?
(a) For the emperor.
(b) For May-may.
(c) For an emergency.
(d) For Culum.
2. Who does Culum tell Dirk he will join The Noble House with?
(a) Brock and Sons.
(b) Cooper and Tillman.
(c) No one.
3. Who does Dirk sail to Aberdeen to meet at midnight?
4. Where do Culum and Tess stay in Macao after their wedding?
(a) Dirk's factory.
(b) The Resting Cloud.
(c) The White Witch.
(d) The English Hotel.
5. Why do some people believe the storm in Chapter 47 isn't a typhoon?
(a) There are never typhoons in Hong Kong.
(b) It isn't strong enough.
(c) The winds are from the north.
(d) It's the wrong season.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the eye of the storm arrives, what does Horatio plan to see Glessing about?
2. What name does Dirk suggest for the new town in Hong Kong?
3. What does Dirk want to do during his trip back to England?
4. Who does Dirk bring to the factory to ride out the storm?
5. What does Dirk decide to do with May-may in Chapter 44?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the Russians feel they must control China?
2. In Chapter 41, why does Culum tell Liza she cannot take Tess back to her home?
3. According to Culum, how did Dirk use him and Tess?
4. Why does Gorth go to the English club looking for Dirk?
5. Why is May-may angry at the assassin who named Gordon Chen as the leader of the Triads?
6. May-may presents Yin-hsi to Dirk as a birthday gift. What is the real reason she gives the girl to Dirk?
7. What does May-may say will happen to Yin-hsi if Dirk sends her away?
8. Why does Wu Kwok have Scragger killed?
9. Why does Whalen send Monsey to Hong Kong to tell Longstaff he must leave?
10. When Dirk and Brock meet to fight at the knoll, why do they begin to talk about the weather?
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)