|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Dirk bring to the factory to ride out the storm?
(b) His crew and naval personnel.
(c) Tess and Culum.
2. In Chapter 50, who suggests to Culum that they join their houses?
3. In Chapter 45, where does Brock ask Dirk to meet him?
(a) At the knoll.
(b) On the White Witch.
(c) At May-may's house.
(d) At the factory.
4. What name does Dirk suggest for the new town in Hong Kong?
(b) London Town.
(c) New England.
5. Who does Culum tell Dirk he will join The Noble House with?
(a) Cooper and Tillman.
(b) No one.
(d) Brock and Sons.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who rings up a bill at the whorehouse that Dirk agrees to pay one last time?
2. Who sent Monsey to Hong Kong?
3. In Chapter 33, who tells Dirk they cannot find the bark?
4. Who does May-may send to talk to Mary Sinclair?
5. Who left a briefcase with the bishop, which the bishop gives to Dirk?
Short Essay Questions
1. During the storm, how does one of Dirk's sailors die?
2. Why is May-may angry at the assassin who named Gordon Chen as the leader of the Triads?
3. How does Gordon Chen plan to hide the fact that he is the leader of the Triads in Hong Kong from Dirk after Dirk confronts him about whether he is a leader?
4. What does Dirk think is the reason Culum cannot remember where he was in Macao?
5. In Chapter 49, why does Zergeyev think the Russians will now be able to dominate China?
6. In Chapter 47, why does Dirk move May-may and the others to his factory in Happy Valley?
7. Why does Gorth go to the English club looking for Dirk?
8. Why does Dirk remind Gorth that it is against the law to murder a prostitute?
9. What causes the wages and costs in Hong Kong to rise above Dirk's expectations?
10. Why does Whalen send Monsey to Hong Kong to tell Longstaff he must leave?
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)