|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 47, what fails to fall before the storm?
(a) The Chinese flag.
(c) The barometer.
(d) A windmill.
2. What does Dirk set up a partnership with Cooper to trade?
(a) Cinchona bark.
(c) Chinese slaves.
3. In Chapter 42, how many days ahead of Dirk's ship is Brock's ship on the way to England?
(a) Six days.
(b) Five days.
(c) One day.
(d) Three days.
4. What is Aristotle the first to call Culum?
(c) Mr. Straun.
5. To whom does Dirk offer the job of head of the fleet?
(a) Captain Orlov.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the bishop say he was when the bark cured his malaria?
2. Who sent Monsey to Hong Kong?
3. In Chapter 50, who suggests to Culum that they join their houses?
4. In Chapter 37, who is the letter from that Culum delivers to Dirk?
5. At the knoll, what lie does Dirk tell Brock about Tess?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is May-may angry at the assassin who named Gordon Chen as the leader of the Triads?
2. Why does Gorth go to the English club looking for Dirk?
3. After May-may begins to recover from malaria, what does she tell Dirk she will do if he goes back to Hong Kong without her?
4. As Dirk and Captain Orlov sail back to Hong Kong in Chapter 42, why do they think they're getting old?
5. How will Dirk and the others know when the eye of the storm is centered over Hong Kong?
6. In Chapter 49, why does Zergeyev think the Russians will now be able to dominate China?
7. Why does Richard Crosse go by the name Roger Blore?
8. In Chapter 41, why does Culum tell Liza she cannot take Tess back to her home?
9. According to Culum, how did Dirk use him and Tess?
10. May-may presents Yin-hsi to Dirk as a birthday gift. What is the real reason she gives the girl to Dirk?
This section contains 588 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)