|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do some people believe the storm in Chapter 47 isn't a typhoon?
(a) The winds are from the north.
(b) There are never typhoons in Hong Kong.
(c) It isn't strong enough.
(d) It's the wrong season.
2. Who does Culum accuse Dirk of using Culum and Tess's elopement to provoke?
3. What does Liza beg Brock to recognize Culum as?
(a) His better.
(b) His rival.
(c) Tai pan.
(d) Tess's husband.
4. Where does the bishop say he was when the bark cured his malaria?
5. Who rings up a bill at the whorehouse that Dirk agrees to pay one last time?
(c) Aristotle Quance.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the British government want Longstaff to take instead of Hong Kong?
2. Where do Culum and Dirk agree to have dinner together in Chapter 41?
3. Who does May-may order to join Dirk in his bed?
4. What cuts off Glessing's arm?
5. What does Dirk do while he waits for word about the missing Culum?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the Russians feel they must control China?
2. Why does Dirk instruct Gordon Chen to form a spy system?
3. In Chapter 47, why does Dirk move May-may and the others to his factory in Happy Valley?
4. Why does Dirk lie to Brock about Tess and Culum being poxed?
5. Why does Dirk remind Gorth that it is against the law to murder a prostitute?
6. How is the White Witch damaged in Chapter 45?
7. What does Dirk hope the information he leaks for the article in the Oriental Times will do?
8. Why does Dirk think the bishop might have cinchona bark?
9. According to Culum, how did Dirk use him and Tess?
10. During the storm, how does one of Dirk's sailors die?
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)