|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who performs the marriage of Culum and Tess?
(a) The bishop.
(c) Captain Orlov.
2. In Chapter 50, who suggests to Culum that they join their houses?
3. In Chapter 33, who tells Dirk they cannot find the bark?
(b) Gordon Chen.
(d) The bishop.
4. According to the documents in the briefcase, who will be in position to take control of China in five years?
(a) The Portuguese.
(b) The Americans.
(c) The British.
(d) The Russians.
5. What does the bishop tell Dirk he owes the church for the bark to cure May-may?
(b) His devotion.
(c) A ship load of tea.
(d) 1,000 pounds.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Horatio ranting about during the storm?
2. Who does Dirk tell Brock is to blame for drugging Culum and taking him to a whorehouse?
3. With what kind of juice does May-may start taking her medicine?
4. Where is the bishop's palace?
5. What does Dirk want to do during his trip back to England?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 47, why does Dirk move May-may and the others to his factory in Happy Valley?
2. Why is May-may angry at the assassin who named Gordon Chen as the leader of the Triads?
3. How does Gordon Chen plan to hide the fact that he is the leader of the Triads in Hong Kong from Dirk after Dirk confronts him about whether he is a leader?
4. What does Dirk hope the information he leaks for the article in the Oriental Times will do?
5. Why does Dirk instruct Gordon Chen to form a spy system?
6. What does May-may say will happen to Yin-hsi if Dirk sends her away?
7. What does Dirk think is the reason Culum cannot remember where he was in Macao?
8. After May-may begins to recover from malaria, what does she tell Dirk she will do if he goes back to Hong Kong without her?
9. May-may presents Yin-hsi to Dirk as a birthday gift. What is the real reason she gives the girl to Dirk?
10. At the end of the book, why does Gordon Chen think The Noble House is dead?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)