|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Skinner's editorial urge the traders to do?
(a) Leave China.
(b) Purchase opium.
(c) Purchase tea.
(d) Discredit Cunningham.
2. Who left a briefcase with the bishop, which the bishop gives to Dirk?
(c) The emperor.
3. What is in the secret report Dirk finds in the briefcase that worries him?
(a) Details on the opium trade.
(b) A Russian plan for world domination.
(c) A Russian plan to start a new trading company.
(d) Information about the tea trade.
4. Why do some people believe the storm in Chapter 47 isn't a typhoon?
(a) It's the wrong season.
(b) There are never typhoons in Hong Kong.
(c) The winds are from the north.
(d) It isn't strong enough.
5. What does the British government plan to do with Longstaff?
(a) Promote him.
(b) Replace him.
(c) Send him to Russia.
(d) Have him executed.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Culum and Tess stay in Macao after their wedding?
2. In Chapter 40, for how many more days does Dirk tell May-may she has to drink the tea?
3. What happens to Dirk's factory during the second round of the storm?
4. In Chapter 49, what does Dirk order Orlov to do?
5. What cuts off Glessing's arm?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Dirk think the bishop might have cinchona bark?
2. Why is May-may angry at the assassin who named Gordon Chen as the leader of the Triads?
3. In Chapter 47, why does Dirk move May-may and the others to his factory in Happy Valley?
4. Why do the Russians feel they must control China?
5. What causes the wages and costs in Hong Kong to rise above Dirk's expectations?
6. After May-may begins to recover from malaria, what does she tell Dirk she will do if he goes back to Hong Kong without her?
7. After the typhoon, how does Skinner plan to publish the next issue of his paper?
8. Why does Dirk instruct Gordon Chen to form a spy system?
9. Why does Wu Kwok have Scragger killed?
10. During the storm, how does one of Dirk's sailors die?
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)