|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Dirk surprised to see at the factory during the storm?
(a) Wu Kwok.
2. What does Skinner lose in the storm?
(a) His life.
(b) His daughter.
(c) His home.
(d) His printing equipment.
3. When Dirk returns from the English Club following the duel challenge, who is waiting for him at his home?
(a) Wu Fang Choi.
(b) Liza Brock.
(c) Mary Sinclair.
(d) Tess Brock.
4. What is Monsey sent to tell Longstaff?
(a) To purchase tea seeds.
(b) To leave Hong Kong.
(c) To marry Mary Sinclair.
(d) To stay in Hong Kong.
5. Whom does Culum ask to take care of the funeral arrangements for Dirk and May-may?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who left a briefcase with the bishop, which the bishop gives to Dirk?
2. In Chapter 42, how many days ahead of Dirk's ship is Brock's ship on the way to England?
3. Who secretly owns the Oriental Times?
4. When Dirk arrives at the harbor master's office, where are Tess and Culum?
5. Who does May-may order to join Dirk in his bed?
Short Essay Questions
1. After May-may begins to recover from malaria, what does she tell Dirk she will do if he goes back to Hong Kong without her?
2. What does Dirk think is the reason Culum cannot remember where he was in Macao?
3. Why does Wu Kwok have Scragger killed?
4. As Dirk and Captain Orlov sail back to Hong Kong in Chapter 42, why do they think they're getting old?
5. In Chapter 49, why does Zergeyev think the Russians will now be able to dominate China?
6. When Dirk and Brock meet to fight at the knoll, why do they begin to talk about the weather?
7. How does Gordon Chen plan to hide the fact that he is the leader of the Triads in Hong Kong from Dirk after Dirk confronts him about whether he is a leader?
8. During the storm, how does one of Dirk's sailors die?
9. How is the White Witch damaged in Chapter 45?
10. Why do the Russians feel they must control China?
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)