|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When May-may learns she will survive the malaria, what does she contemplate doing but decides against?
(a) Becoming Christian.
(b) Becoming a nurse.
(c) Marrying Dirk.
(d) Becoming a nun.
2. Who performs the marriage of Culum and Tess?
(a) The bishop.
(c) Captain Orlov.
3. What does Skinner lose in the storm?
(a) His printing equipment.
(b) His daughter.
(c) His life.
(d) His home.
4. In Chapter 42, how many days ahead of Dirk's ship is Brock's ship on the way to England?
(a) Three days.
(b) Six days.
(c) One day.
(d) Five days.
5. What is Roger Blore's real name?
(a) John Adamson.
(b) Richard Crosse.
(c) Wilf Tillman.
(d) Jeff Cooper.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does May-may buy Dirk for his birthday?
2. What does Dirk do while he waits for word about the missing Culum?
3. Why do some people believe the storm in Chapter 47 isn't a typhoon?
4. Where is the bishop's palace?
5. Where do Culum and Tess stay in Macao after their wedding?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the White Witch damaged in Chapter 45?
2. Why does Dirk remind Gorth that it is against the law to murder a prostitute?
3. Why does Dirk instruct Gordon Chen to form a spy system?
4. May-may presents Yin-hsi to Dirk as a birthday gift. What is the real reason she gives the girl to Dirk?
5. How does Gordon Chen plan to hide the fact that he is the leader of the Triads in Hong Kong from Dirk after Dirk confronts him about whether he is a leader?
6. Why does Gorth go to the English club looking for Dirk?
7. Why is May-may angry at the assassin who named Gordon Chen as the leader of the Triads?
8. Why does Richard Crosse go by the name Roger Blore?
9. What does Dirk think is the reason Culum cannot remember where he was in Macao?
10. After May-may begins to recover from malaria, what does she tell Dirk she will do if he goes back to Hong Kong without her?
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)