|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dirk tell Culum and Tess they are a part of regardless of what Brock says?
(a) The British government.
(b) Brock's family.
(c) The Noble House.
(d) Dirk's family.
2. When Dirk returns from the English Club following the duel challenge, who is waiting for him at his home?
(a) Liza Brock.
(b) Tess Brock.
(c) Wu Fang Choi.
(d) Mary Sinclair.
3. To whom does Dirk offer the job of head of the fleet?
(c) Captain Orlov.
4. Which ship collides with the Boston Princess?
(a) The China Cloud.
(b) The Resting Cloud.
(c) The Scarlet Cloud.
(d) The White Witch.
5. Who does Dirk ask to be Tai-Tai?
(a) Wu Kwok.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Skinner lose in the storm?
2. What has Monsey been instructed to sail regardless of?
3. In Chapter 40, for how many more days does Dirk tell May-may she has to drink the tea?
4. What does Dirk decide to do with May-may in Chapter 44?
5. Why do some people believe the storm in Chapter 47 isn't a typhoon?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is May-may angry at the assassin who named Gordon Chen as the leader of the Triads?
2. Why does Dirk want to send Father Sebastian to Peru?
3. Why does Dirk remind Gorth that it is against the law to murder a prostitute?
4. After the typhoon, how does Skinner plan to publish the next issue of his paper?
5. Why does Dirk think the bishop might have cinchona bark?
6. What does Dirk hope the information he leaks for the article in the Oriental Times will do?
7. How does Gordon Chen plan to hide the fact that he is the leader of the Triads in Hong Kong from Dirk after Dirk confronts him about whether he is a leader?
8. May-may presents Yin-hsi to Dirk as a birthday gift. What is the real reason she gives the girl to Dirk?
9. What does May-may say will happen to Yin-hsi if Dirk sends her away?
10. In Chapter 49, why does Zergeyev think the Russians will now be able to dominate China?
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)