|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With what kind of juice does May-may start taking her medicine?
2. Who gives Culum the idea to elope with Tess?
3. Where do Culum and Tess stay in Macao after their wedding?
(a) The White Witch.
(b) The English Hotel.
(c) The Resting Cloud.
(d) Dirk's factory.
4. Who tells Dirk that dueling is outlawed in Macao?
(a) A British officer.
(c) A Portuguese officer.
5. What is in the secret report Dirk finds in the briefcase that worries him?
(a) Information about the tea trade.
(b) A Russian plan to start a new trading company.
(c) A Russian plan for world domination.
(d) Details on the opium trade.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does Dirk offer the job of head of the fleet?
2. In Chapter 40, for how many more days does Dirk tell May-may she has to drink the tea?
3. Who fills May-may in on everything that happened while she was ill?
4. What name does Dirk suggest for the new town in Hong Kong?
5. What is Monsey sent to tell Longstaff?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Culum, how did Dirk use him and Tess?
2. After the typhoon, how does Skinner plan to publish the next issue of his paper?
3. What does Dirk hope the information he leaks for the article in the Oriental Times will do?
4. What does Dirk think is the reason Culum cannot remember where he was in Macao?
5. Why does Gorth go to the English club looking for Dirk?
6. How is the White Witch damaged in Chapter 45?
7. When Dirk and Brock meet to fight at the knoll, why do they begin to talk about the weather?
8. May-may presents Yin-hsi to Dirk as a birthday gift. What is the real reason she gives the girl to Dirk?
9. Why does Dirk instruct Gordon Chen to form a spy system?
10. How will Dirk and the others know when the eye of the storm is centered over Hong Kong?
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)