|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is in the secret report Dirk finds in the briefcase that worries him?
(a) A Russian plan for world domination.
(b) A Russian plan to start a new trading company.
(c) Information about the tea trade.
(d) Details on the opium trade.
2. What has Monsey been instructed to sail regardless of?
(a) Longstaff's answer.
(b) The weather.
(c) The condition of the ship.
(d) The ship's cargo.
3. Who sent Monsey to Hong Kong?
(a) The Queen of England.
4. At the beginning of Chapter 48, what is falling rapidly?
(a) The barometer.
(b) The price of tea.
5. Who does Culum accuse Dirk of using Culum and Tess's elopement to provoke?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dirk offer the doctor if he can cure May-may?
2. Who performs the marriage of Culum and Tess?
3. How is the bark to cure her of malaria given to May-may.
4. Who is Dirk surprised to see at the factory during the storm?
5. Who threatens to charge Culum with treason if he doesn't deliver Dirk's papers to him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes the wages and costs in Hong Kong to rise above Dirk's expectations?
2. Why does Dirk think Culum should spend more time with Jeff Cooper.
3. Why does Dirk want to send Father Sebastian to Peru?
4. Why does Dirk instruct Gordon Chen to form a spy system?
5. Why do the Russians feel they must control China?
6. During the storm, how does one of Dirk's sailors die?
7. Why does Dirk lie to Brock about Tess and Culum being poxed?
8. What does Dirk hope the information he leaks for the article in the Oriental Times will do?
9. In Chapter 49, why does Zergeyev think the Russians will now be able to dominate China?
10. In Chapter 47, why does Dirk move May-may and the others to his factory in Happy Valley?
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)