|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Dirk say did not cheat him but rather outsmarted him?
(c) Wu Kwok.
2. What organizations are the fighters for the prizefight from?
(a) Brock's and Straun's companies.
(b) The Noble House and the British Navy.
(c) The British Parliament and the Chinese Emperor's Court.
(d) The Army and Navy.
3. Who does May-may tell Gordon Chen she wants killed in Macao?
4. What ship did Dirk and Brock both work on as teenagers?
(a) The China Cloud.
(b) The White Witch.
(c) The Resting Cloud.
(d) The Vagrant Star.
5. Who is May-may?
(a) Brock's mistress.
(b) Dirk's mistress.
(c) A Chinese pirate.
(d) Dirk's wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ti-sen agrees to loan Dirk money in exchange for Dirk agreeing to what being in Hong Kong?
2. What happens to Dirk as he is traveling back to the settlement in a sedan chair?
3. What is Alexi Zergeyev's title?
4. Who owns the ship that takes Sarah back to England?
5. In Chapter 1, who takes possession of Hong Kong?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Brock know about Dirk's financial problems?
2. Why does May-may think Tess and Culum should marry as quickly as possible?
3. Why is the note that Longstaff asks to have translated into Chinese puzzling to Horatio and Glessing?
4. Why does Brock plan to replace his clipper ships with steam-powered ships?
5. Why does Brock panic when Dirk pays his debt to Brock in silver?
6. Who are the three people that Dirk must send to England to receive an English education.
7. What does Sarah tell Dirk about Robb's last message to him?
8. As Zergeyev is judging the gown contest, why does he try to find out who Dirk favors?
9. Why do the Chinese consider Ti-sen a traitor?
10. What does Dirk do to keep the bullion on board his ship a secret when he reaches Hong Kong?
This section contains 627 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)