|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 4, who is Dirk waiting to see in Canton?
2. Who does the clerk tell Brock and Dirk has disappeared in Chapter 26?
(b) Mary Sinclair.
(c) The servants.
3. Who writes a letter that angers Ti-sen?
4. What time does Dirk leave the ball to go see May-may?
(a) 6 p.m.
(c) He doesn't leave the ball.
5. What does Dirk do to get into May-may's quarters after the two argue over her ball gown?
(a) He knocks and waits for her to answer.
(b) He climbs through the window.
(c) He breaks down the door.
(d) She leaves the door open.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is kept busy painting portraits of Robb's children?
2. In Chapter 6, what does Brock suggest that he and Dirk do?
3. What do Sarah and Robb argue about before the ball?
4. On what does the feng shui expert say Dirk's house is built?
5. What is Alexi Zergeyev's title?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Dirk feel about the way Culum solves the problem of the knoll?
2. Why do the Chinese consider Ti-sen a traitor?
3. If Dirk is unable to save his company, what will become of Brock and why does the outcome bother Dirk?
4. Who are the three people that Dirk must send to England to receive an English education.
5. Why does Dirk oppose Longstaff's idea of evacuating Happy Valley?
6. Why does Brock panic when Dirk pays his debt to Brock in silver?
7. Why does Dirk view Hong Kong as a valuable prize?
8. As Zergeyev is judging the gown contest, why does he try to find out who Dirk favors?
9. Why does Jin-qua order Gordon Chen to do anything that May-may requests of him?
10. Why is Dirk surprised to see Wu Fang Choi's ship in Hong Kong waters?
This section contains 593 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)