|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who replaces Ah-Gip as May-may's servant?
(b) Mary Sinclair.
2. Who greets Dirk while the men are unloading the barrels in Chapter 12?
(a) Mary Sinclair.
3. What kind of a ship do Dirk and Culum see from the mountain?
(a) A steam-powered battleship.
(b) A pirate ship.
(c) A clipper ship.
(d) A lorcha.
4. Whose proposal of marriage does Mary Sinclair accept?
5. Who is May-may?
(a) A Chinese pirate.
(b) Dirk's wife.
(c) Dirk's mistress.
(d) Brock's mistress.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ti-sen agrees to loan Dirk money in exchange for Dirk agreeing to what being in Hong Kong?
2. Who owns the ship that takes Sarah back to England?
3. Who is Wu Kwok's father?
4. Which European woman is pregnant with a Chinese child?
5. What possessions of Aristotle's does Maureen Quance destroy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Dirk oppose Longstaff's idea of evacuating Happy Valley?
2. How does Brock know about Dirk's financial problems?
3. Why do Liza and Tess sail to Macao together?
4. What are the stakes in the wager that Dirk and Zergeyev make on the prize fight?
5. What does Wu Fang Choi request from Dirk when he presents his half coin?
6. As Zergeyev is judging the gown contest, why does he try to find out who Dirk favors?
7. Why is the note that Longstaff asks to have translated into Chinese puzzling to Horatio and Glessing?
8. What does Dirk believe he will be able to do if he gets the trade monopoly in Russia?
9. How does Gordon Chen build up the Hung Mun in Hong Kong?
10. Who are the three people that Dirk must send to England to receive an English education.
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)