|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does May-may tell Gordon Chen she wants killed in Macao?
2. What ship did Dirk and Brock both work on as teenagers?
(a) The Vagrant Star.
(b) The White Witch.
(c) The China Cloud.
(d) The Resting Cloud.
3. What group is not being forced out of the settlement?
(a) The Russians.
(b) The Americans.
(c) The Germans.
(d) The British.
4. Why is Longstaff tired of Hong Kong?
(a) There are too many traders there.
(b) There are too many problems.
(c) He would rather go home to England.
(d) He doesn't like the whorehouses.
5. Who is Wu Kwok's father?
(d) Wu Fang Choi.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Dirk and Culum press Brock to grant Culum?
2. What does Wu Kwok give Dirk from the Scarlet Cloud?
3. As they are standing in the square waiting for Ti-sen to be sentenced, whom does Dirk stop from talking to the crowd?
4. Whose proposal of marriage does Mary Sinclair accept?
5. What possessions of Aristotle's does Maureen Quance destroy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Liza and Tess sail to Macao together?
2. If Dirk is unable to save his company, what will become of Brock and why does the outcome bother Dirk?
3. Why does Jin-qua order Gordon Chen to do anything that May-may requests of him?
4. Why does Brock panic when Dirk pays his debt to Brock in silver?
5. Why does Dirk lie to Brock about Tess and Culum being poxed?
6. Why does Dirk remind Gorth that it is against the law to murder a prostitute?
7. What does Dirk do to keep the bullion on board his ship a secret when he reaches Hong Kong?
8. Why does Wu Kwok have Scragger killed?
9. Who are the three people that Dirk must send to England to receive an English education.
10. As Zergeyev is judging the gown contest, why does he try to find out who Dirk favors?
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)