|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who greets Dirk while the men are unloading the barrels in Chapter 12?
(c) Mary Sinclair.
2. Why is Longstaff tired of Hong Kong?
(a) He doesn't like the whorehouses.
(b) He would rather go home to England.
(c) There are too many traders there.
(d) There are too many problems.
3. In Chapter 13, what does Liza tell Brock is her reason for sailing to Macao?
(a) To order gowns for the ball.
(b) To purchase furniture.
(c) To arrange a marriage for Tess.
(d) To take another ship back to England.
4. What does Dirk do to get into May-may's quarters after the two argue over her ball gown?
(a) He breaks down the door.
(b) He climbs through the window.
(c) He knocks and waits for her to answer.
(d) She leaves the door open.
5. The Chinese call Straun and Company another name. What is it?
(a) The Noble House.
(b) The Great House.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Ti-sen considered a traitor to the emperor?
2. Who buys the knoll to build a church?
3. With whom does May-may want Dirk to consult about the house he is building?
4. According to Captain Scragger, when will Wu Kwok be in Quemony?
5. Who does Dirk say did not cheat him but rather outsmarted him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Dirk have to be very careful when he travels to visit Jin-qua?
2. What does Brock do that causes Dirk to accuse him of piracy?
3. Why does Dirk view Hong Kong as a valuable prize?
4. Who are the three people that Dirk must send to England to receive an English education.
5. What does Dirk do to keep the bullion on board his ship a secret when he reaches Hong Kong?
6. How does Brock know about Dirk's financial problems?
7. Why does Brock panic when Dirk pays his debt to Brock in silver?
8. Why does May-may think Tess and Culum should marry as quickly as possible?
9. If Dirk is unable to save his company, what will become of Brock and why does the outcome bother Dirk?
10. Why does Brock plan to replace his clipper ships with steam-powered ships?
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)