|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose proposal of marriage does Mary Sinclair accept?
2. After Dirk flogs May-may, what does she tell him?
(a) She is in love with another man.
(b) She still wants him to sell her.
(c) She hates him.
(d) She is pregnant.
3. What happens to Dirk as he is traveling back to the settlement in a sedan chair?
(a) He is attacked.
(b) He falls asleep.
(c) He is kidnapped.
(d) He learns May-may is pregnant.
4. Who orchestrates the run on Dirk's bank?
(a) Morgan Brock.
(c) Tyler Brock.
5. Ti-sen agrees to loan Dirk money in exchange for Dirk agreeing to what being in Hong Kong?
(a) A Chinese temple of worship.
(b) A mandarin.
(c) A pirate's headquarters.
(d) The emperor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What activity will end the day of festivities?
2. What does May-may ask Dirk to do after their argument over her ball gown?
3. Who writes a letter that angers Ti-sen?
4. How long does it take the British to recapture Canton?
5. Where do all of the traders decide to go if they are attacked by the Chinese?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jin-qua order Gordon Chen to do anything that May-may requests of him?
2. Why doesn't Dirk want to move their operations out of Happy Valley?
3. Why does Dirk view Hong Kong as a valuable prize?
4. Why do the merchants think they will be attacked when they are at the Canton settlement?
5. What does Dirk do to keep the bullion on board his ship a secret when he reaches Hong Kong?
6. How does Longstaff plan to break into China's tea monopoly?
7. What does Brock do that causes Dirk to accuse him of piracy?
8. What does Dirk believe he will be able to do if he gets the trade monopoly in Russia?
9. Why does Dirk have to be very careful when he travels to visit Jin-qua?
10. What does Sarah tell Dirk about Robb's last message to him?
This section contains 608 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)