|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What trade does Zergeyev offer Dirk as a monopoly in Russia?
(a) Cinchon bark.
2. When Dirk first visits the settlement, who sends a messenger requesting to see him immediately?
(a) Wu Kwok.
3. With whom does May-may want Dirk to consult about the house he is building?
(a) An architect.
(b) A priest.
(c) A feng shui expert.
(d) Mary Sinclair.
4. What is the amount of the ransom that the British receive for Canton?
(a) 5,000 pounds.
(b) 1 million pounds.
(c) 3 million taels.
(d) 6 million taels.
5. What is in the kerchief that Scragger's son gives Dirk?
(a) A letter.
(b) A half coin.
(c) A finger.
(d) Gems, gold, and jewelry.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 13, what does Liza tell Brock is her reason for sailing to Macao?
2. In Chapter 6, what does Brock suggest that he and Dirk do?
3. According to Captain Orlov, who will have blood on his hands when he becomes tai-pan.
4. Who halts all trade between the Chinese and the foreigners?
5. In Chapter 4, who is Dirk waiting to see in Canton?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does May-may say will happen to Yin-hsi if Dirk sends her away?
2. Why does Dirk view Hong Kong as a valuable prize?
3. How does Brock know about Dirk's financial problems?
4. When Dirk and Brock meet to fight at the knoll, why do they begin to talk about the weather?
5. How does Gordon Chen build up the Hung Mun in Hong Kong?
6. Why does Dirk have to be very careful when he travels to visit Jin-qua?
7. What does Dirk think is the reason Culum cannot remember where he was in Macao?
8. Why do Liza and Tess sail to Macao together?
9. Why does Jin-qua order Gordon Chen to do anything that May-may requests of him?
10. Why does Dirk remind Gorth that it is against the law to murder a prostitute?
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)