|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Dirk returns home after the ball, who is waiting for him in his living room?
(d) The bishop.
2. As they are standing in the square waiting for Ti-sen to be sentenced, whom does Dirk stop from talking to the crowd?
3. If Dirk can get a monopoly in Russia, what does he believe he will be able to do?
(a) Marry Mary Sinclair.
(b) Take over Brock's company.
(c) Murder Brock with no consequence.
(d) Ignore convention and marry May-may.
4. According to Captain Orlov, who will have blood on his hands when he becomes tai-pan.
(b) Gordon Chen.
5. Where do all of the traders decide to go if they are attacked by the Chinese?
(a) Dirk's ship.
(b) Dirk's factory.
(c) Brock's ship.
(d) Brock's factory.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of a ship do Dirk and Culum see from the mountain?
2. How long is the indenture agreement for the men who arrive with Captain Scragger?
3. What does May-may help Mary Sinclair to arrange?
4. Who replaces Ah-Gip as May-may's servant?
5. With whom does Dirk set sail prior to the ball?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Brock panic when Dirk pays his debt to Brock in silver?
2. Why do the Chinese consider Ti-sen a traitor?
3. Why is Dirk surprised to see Wu Fang Choi's ship in Hong Kong waters?
4. What does Dirk do to keep the bullion on board his ship a secret when he reaches Hong Kong?
5. Why does Dirk view Hong Kong as a valuable prize?
6. How does Longstaff plan to break into China's tea monopoly?
7. Why doesn't Dirk want to move their operations out of Happy Valley?
8. Why does Brock plan to replace his clipper ships with steam-powered ships?
9. If Dirk is unable to save his company, what will become of Brock and why does the outcome bother Dirk?
10. What does Wu Fang Choi request from Dirk when he presents his half coin?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)