|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Robb, what must arrive in London to keep him and Dirk out of financial trouble?
(a) The Russian documents.
(b) The Blue Cloud.
(c) The cinchon bark.
(d) A load of tea.
2. Which European woman is pregnant with a Chinese child?
(a) Liza Brock.
(c) Mary Sinclair.
(d) Tess Brock.
3. Whose ship rams Dirk's lorcha as he leaves the settlement following the order for all foreigners to leave?
(d) Wu Kwok's.
4. On what does the feng shui expert say Dirk's house is built?
(a) A dragon's eyeball.
(b) A lion's tail.
(c) A bear's back.
(d) A dragon's claw.
5. If Dirk can get a monopoly in Russia, what does he believe he will be able to do?
(a) Marry Mary Sinclair.
(b) Murder Brock with no consequence.
(c) Take over Brock's company.
(d) Ignore convention and marry May-may.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who volunteers to judge the ball gown after Quance leaves?
2. Who owns the ship that takes Sarah back to England?
3. In Chapter 3, how much time does Dirk have to save his trading company?
4. Who is known as the Tai-Pan of Tai Ping Shan?
5. What does May-may help Mary Sinclair to arrange?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Longstaff plan to break into China's tea monopoly?
2. Why do the merchants think they will be attacked when they are at the Canton settlement?
3. Why is Dirk surprised to see Wu Fang Choi's ship in Hong Kong waters?
4. Who are the three people that Dirk must send to England to receive an English education.
5. What does Sarah tell Dirk about Robb's last message to him?
6. If Dirk is unable to save his company, what will become of Brock and why does the outcome bother Dirk?
7. Why do Liza and Tess sail to Macao together?
8. Why does May-may think Tess and Culum should marry as quickly as possible?
9. Why is the note that Longstaff asks to have translated into Chinese puzzling to Horatio and Glessing?
10. What does Dirk believe he will be able to do if he gets the trade monopoly in Russia?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)