|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What organizations are the fighters for the prizefight from?
(a) The Noble House and the British Navy.
(b) The British Parliament and the Chinese Emperor's Court.
(c) Brock's and Straun's companies.
(d) The Army and Navy.
2. Who does Dirk bet on in the prizefight?
(a) The Navy.
(c) The Army.
3. Why is Ti-sen considered a traitor to the emperor?
(a) He is friends with the Dirk.
(b) He tried to kill the emperor.
(c) He sold information to Dirk.
(d) He signed the Treaty of Chuenpi.
4. Who does May-may send to Macao when the epidemic begins?
(c) Her children.
(d) Mary Sinclair.
5. Where do the British plan to attack in Chapter 27?
(c) Happy Valley.
(d) Canton and Peking.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 1, who takes possession of Hong Kong?
2. If Dirk can get a monopoly in Russia, what does he believe he will be able to do?
3. As they are standing in the square waiting for Ti-sen to be sentenced, whom does Dirk stop from talking to the crowd?
4. Who greets Dirk while the men are unloading the barrels in Chapter 12?
5. Who halts all trade between the Chinese and the foreigners?
Short Essay Questions
1. After finding May-may dressed in a ball gown with her hair styled like an English woman's, what does Dirk do to restore her dignity?
2. What is Dirk's reason for firing Captain Perry?
3. Why is Dirk surprised to see Wu Fang Choi's ship in Hong Kong waters?
4. What are the stakes in the wager that Dirk and Zergeyev make on the prize fight?
5. Why isn't Sarah able to attend Dirk's ball?
6. Why does Jin-qua order Gordon Chen to do anything that May-may requests of him?
7. Why do Liza and Tess sail to Macao together?
8. Why does Dirk view Hong Kong as a valuable prize?
9. If Dirk is unable to save his company, what will become of Brock and why does the outcome bother Dirk?
10. Why do the merchants think they will be attacked when they are at the Canton settlement?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)