|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is in the kerchief that Scragger's son gives Dirk?
(a) A finger.
(b) Gems, gold, and jewelry.
(c) A half coin.
(d) A letter.
2. Who does Dirk find lying dead in his bed?
3. What signals the beginning of the evening of festivities?
(b) A cannon shot.
(c) A speech delivered by Dirk.
4. Why is Ti-sen considered a traitor to the emperor?
(a) He signed the Treaty of Chuenpi.
(b) He is friends with the Dirk.
(c) He tried to kill the emperor.
(d) He sold information to Dirk.
5. When Dirk returns home after the ball, who is waiting for him in his living room?
(d) The bishop.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 13, what does Liza tell Brock is her reason for sailing to Macao?
2. Who halts all trade between the Chinese and the foreigners?
3. Where do the British plan to attack in Chapter 27?
4. Who instructs Gordon Chen to do whatever May-may wants?
5. Ti-sen agrees to loan Dirk money in exchange for Dirk agreeing to what being in Hong Kong?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Gordon Chen build up the Hung Mun in Hong Kong?
2. May-may presents Yin-hsi to Dirk as a birthday gift. What is the real reason she gives the girl to Dirk?
3. According to Culum, how did Dirk use him and Tess?
4. How will Dirk and the others know when the eye of the storm is centered over Hong Kong?
5. What are the stakes in the wager that Dirk and Zergeyev make on the prize fight?
6. How does Brock know about Dirk's financial problems?
7. After finding May-may dressed in a ball gown with her hair styled like an English woman's, what does Dirk do to restore her dignity?
8. Why does Wu Kwok have Scragger killed?
9. Why is the note that Longstaff asks to have translated into Chinese puzzling to Horatio and Glessing?
10. Why isn't Sarah able to attend Dirk's ball?
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)