|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What possessions of Aristotle's does Maureen Quance destroy?
(a) His paints and brushes.
(b) His clothing.
(c) His furniture.
(d) His bottles of alcohol.
2. With whom does May-may want Dirk to consult about the house he is building?
(a) A priest.
(b) A feng shui expert.
(c) Mary Sinclair.
(d) An architect.
3. According to Robb, what must arrive in London to keep him and Dirk out of financial trouble?
(a) A load of tea.
(b) The Blue Cloud.
(c) The cinchon bark.
(d) The Russian documents.
4. What kind of a ship do Dirk and Culum see from the mountain?
(a) A pirate ship.
(b) A lorcha.
(c) A clipper ship.
(d) A steam-powered battleship.
5. What ship did Dirk and Brock both work on as teenagers?
(a) The China Cloud.
(b) The Resting Cloud.
(c) The White Witch.
(d) The Vagrant Star.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Wu Kwok's father?
2. Whose ship rams Dirk's lorcha as he leaves the settlement following the order for all foreigners to leave?
3. Who replaces Ah-Gip as May-may's servant?
4. Who instructs Gordon Chen to do whatever May-may wants?
5. When Dirk returns home after the ball, who is waiting for him in his living room?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sarah tell Dirk about Robb's last message to him?
2. How does Gordon Chen build up the Hung Mun in Hong Kong?
3. Why do the merchants think they will be attacked when they are at the Canton settlement?
4. Why does May-may think Tess and Culum should marry as quickly as possible?
5. Why does Dirk have to be very careful when he travels to visit Jin-qua?
6. As Zergeyev is judging the gown contest, why does he try to find out who Dirk favors?
7. Why doesn't Dirk want to move their operations out of Happy Valley?
8. Why do Liza and Tess sail to Macao together?
9. Why does Brock plan to replace his clipper ships with steam-powered ships?
10. When Brock is dressing for the ball, what does he try to hide from Liza?
This section contains 596 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)