|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Brock's ship called?
(a) The White Witch.
(b) The Black Witch.
(c) The Resting Cloud.
(d) The Scarlet Cloud.
2. Who does Dirk bet on in the prizefight?
(a) The Army.
(c) The Navy.
3. Whose proposal of marriage does Mary Sinclair accept?
4. If Dirk can get a monopoly in Russia, what does he believe he will be able to do?
(a) Take over Brock's company.
(b) Marry Mary Sinclair.
(c) Ignore convention and marry May-may.
(d) Murder Brock with no consequence.
5. According to Captain Scragger, when will Wu Kwok be in Quemony?
(a) New Year's Day.
(c) Midsummer's Night.
(d) Boxing Day.
Short Answer Questions
1. As they are standing in the square waiting for Ti-sen to be sentenced, whom does Dirk stop from talking to the crowd?
2. Why is Ti-sen considered a traitor to the emperor?
3. What organizations are the fighters for the prizefight from?
4. Who owns the ship that takes Sarah back to England?
5. The emperor offers Wu Fang Choi mandarinates if he attacks what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Dirk have to be very careful when he travels to visit Jin-qua?
2. After finding May-may dressed in a ball gown with her hair styled like an English woman's, what does Dirk do to restore her dignity?
3. Who are the three people that Dirk must send to England to receive an English education.
4. What does Dirk do to keep the bullion on board his ship a secret when he reaches Hong Kong?
5. Why is Dirk surprised to see Wu Fang Choi's ship in Hong Kong waters?
6. Why does May-may think Tess and Culum should marry as quickly as possible?
7. Why is the note that Longstaff asks to have translated into Chinese puzzling to Horatio and Glessing?
8. How does Dirk feel about the way Culum solves the problem of the knoll?
9. What is Dirk's reason for firing Captain Perry?
10. When Brock is dressing for the ball, what does he try to hide from Liza?
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)