|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is in the kerchief that Scragger's son gives Dirk?
(a) A finger.
(b) A half coin.
(c) A letter.
(d) Gems, gold, and jewelry.
2. Why is Ti-sen considered a traitor to the emperor?
(a) He sold information to Dirk.
(b) He tried to kill the emperor.
(c) He signed the Treaty of Chuenpi.
(d) He is friends with the Dirk.
3. In what village does Dirk wait for Wu Kwok?
(b) Happy Valley.
4. What kind of epidemic sweeps through Queens Town?
(b) Black plague.
(c) Small pox.
5. Where does Dirk tell Robb and Culum The Noble House is to be permanently headquartered?
(a) Happy Valley.
(d) Hong Kong.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 3, how much time does Dirk have to save his trading company?
2. Who replaces Ah-Gip as May-may's servant?
3. With whom is May-May waiting in Dirk's quarters when he returns from his first meeting with Jin-qua?
4. As they are standing in the square waiting for Ti-sen to be sentenced, whom does Dirk stop from talking to the crowd?
5. What does May-may ask Dirk to do after their argument over her ball gown?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does May-may think Tess and Culum should marry as quickly as possible?
2. What are the stakes in the wager that Dirk and Zergeyev make on the prize fight?
3. When Brock is dressing for the ball, what does he try to hide from Liza?
4. As Zergeyev is judging the gown contest, why does he try to find out who Dirk favors?
5. What does Wu Fang Choi request from Dirk when he presents his half coin?
6. Why doesn't Dirk want to move their operations out of Happy Valley?
7. Who are the three people that Dirk must send to England to receive an English education.
8. Why do Liza and Tess sail to Macao together?
9. Why does Dirk view Hong Kong as a valuable prize?
10. Why do the merchants think they will be attacked when they are at the Canton settlement?
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)