|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With whom does May-may want Dirk to consult about the house he is building?
(a) A priest.
(b) An architect.
(c) A feng shui expert.
(d) Mary Sinclair.
2. Who is known as the Tai-Pan of Tai Ping Shan?
(d) Gordon Chen.
3. Who does Dirk say is responsible for repaying Jin-qua's loan?
(d) The Noble House.
4. The emperor offers Wu Fang Choi mandarinates if he attacks what?
(a) Hong Kong harbor.
(b) Dirk's fleet.
(c) The Russian archduke.
5. Who halts all trade between the Chinese and the foreigners?
(c) The Chinese emperor.
(d) The British government.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do May-may and Ah-Sam use to see Dirk on his boat during the festivities?
2. Where does Dirk tell Robb and Culum The Noble House is to be permanently headquartered?
3. What trade does Zergeyev offer Dirk as a monopoly in Russia?
4. In Chapter 4, who is Dirk waiting to see in Canton?
5. If Dirk can get a monopoly in Russia, what does he believe he will be able to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Brock is dressing for the ball, what does he try to hide from Liza?
2. Why does Dirk oppose Longstaff's idea of evacuating Happy Valley?
3. What does Sarah tell Dirk about Robb's last message to him?
4. Why does Dirk have to be very careful when he travels to visit Jin-qua?
5. What does Dirk do to keep the bullion on board his ship a secret when he reaches Hong Kong?
6. After finding May-may dressed in a ball gown with her hair styled like an English woman's, what does Dirk do to restore her dignity?
7. Why does May-may think Tess and Culum should marry as quickly as possible?
8. As Zergeyev is judging the gown contest, why does he try to find out who Dirk favors?
9. How does Dirk feel about the way Culum solves the problem of the knoll?
10. What does Dirk believe he will be able to do if he gets the trade monopoly in Russia?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)