|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who orchestrates the run on Dirk's bank?
(b) Morgan Brock.
(d) Tyler Brock.
2. Who does Dirk bet on in the prizefight?
(a) The Navy.
(d) The Army.
3. Who is the officer on Brock's boat that wants to marry Tess?
(b) Nygreck Thumb.
(d) Jeff Cooper.
4. What organizations are the fighters for the prizefight from?
(a) The British Parliament and the Chinese Emperor's Court.
(b) The Army and Navy.
(c) The Noble House and the British Navy.
(d) Brock's and Straun's companies.
5. According to Captain Scragger, when will Wu Kwok be in Quemony?
(b) Midsummer's Night.
(c) Boxing Day.
(d) New Year's Day.
Short Answer Questions
1. As they are standing in the square waiting for Ti-sen to be sentenced, whom does Dirk stop from talking to the crowd?
2. Who is kept busy painting portraits of Robb's children?
3. Whom do Brock and Dirk discuss as a possible husband for Tess?
4. Where does Dirk tell Robb and Culum The Noble House is to be permanently headquartered?
5. What is Brock's ship called?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Brock is dressing for the ball, what does he try to hide from Liza?
2. What is Dirk's reason for firing Captain Perry?
3. Why do the merchants think they will be attacked when they are at the Canton settlement?
4. Why does Brock plan to replace his clipper ships with steam-powered ships?
5. As Zergeyev is judging the gown contest, why does he try to find out who Dirk favors?
6. Why does Dirk have to be very careful when he travels to visit Jin-qua?
7. Why does May-may think Tess and Culum should marry as quickly as possible?
8. What does Dirk believe he will be able to do if he gets the trade monopoly in Russia?
9. What does Wu Fang Choi request from Dirk when he presents his half coin?
10. After finding May-may dressed in a ball gown with her hair styled like an English woman's, what does Dirk do to restore her dignity?
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)