|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who halts all trade between the Chinese and the foreigners?
(a) The British government.
(c) The Chinese emperor.
2. With whom does Dirk set sail prior to the ball?
(b) The expeditionary force.
(c) Wu Fang Choi.
3. Whose ship rams Dirk's lorcha as he leaves the settlement following the order for all foreigners to leave?
(c) Wu Kwok's.
4. According to Captain Orlov, who will have blood on his hands when he becomes tai-pan.
(b) Gordon Chen.
5. What do Dirk and Culum press Brock to grant Culum?
(a) Access to Brock's records.
(b) A position in Brock's company.
(c) The rights to the knoll.
(d) A quick marriage to Tess.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is in the kerchief that Scragger's son gives Dirk?
2. How long does it take the British to recapture Canton?
3. When does Dirk leave May-may's room on the night of the ball?
4. How long is the indenture agreement for the men who arrive with Captain Scragger?
5. What does Zergeyev promise to send to Dirk and Longstaff?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Dirk view Hong Kong as a valuable prize?
2. Why does May-may think Tess and Culum should marry as quickly as possible?
3. Why doesn't Dirk want to move their operations out of Happy Valley?
4. Why does Brock panic when Dirk pays his debt to Brock in silver?
5. What does Wu Fang Choi request from Dirk when he presents his half coin?
6. Why does Jin-qua order Gordon Chen to do anything that May-may requests of him?
7. Why does Brock plan to replace his clipper ships with steam-powered ships?
8. Why do Liza and Tess sail to Macao together?
9. Why do the merchants think they will be attacked when they are at the Canton settlement?
10. Who are the three people that Dirk must send to England to receive an English education.
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)