|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does May-may ask Dirk to do after their argument over her ball gown?
(a) Marry her.
(b) Throw her into the streets.
(c) Sell her.
(d) Allow her to marry another man.
2. Who greets Dirk while the men are unloading the barrels in Chapter 12?
(a) Mary Sinclair.
3. Who does Dirk say did not cheat him but rather outsmarted him?
(a) Wu Kwok.
4. What is in the kerchief that Scragger's son gives Dirk?
(a) A half coin.
(b) Gems, gold, and jewelry.
(c) A letter.
(d) A finger.
5. What is Ti-sen wearing when he is brought into the square?
(b) A kimono.
(d) A blindfold.
Short Answer Questions
1. What activity will end the day of festivities?
2. What do Sarah and Robb argue about before the ball?
3. In Chapter 4, who is Dirk waiting to see in Canton?
4. In Dirk's dispatch to Robb, what does he instruct Robb to do in Hong Kong?
5. Who does Dirk find lying dead in his bed?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Dirk feel about the way Culum solves the problem of the knoll?
2. Why is the note that Longstaff asks to have translated into Chinese puzzling to Horatio and Glessing?
3. How does Longstaff plan to break into China's tea monopoly?
4. Why does Brock panic when Dirk pays his debt to Brock in silver?
5. Why isn't Sarah able to attend Dirk's ball?
6. Why does Jin-qua order Gordon Chen to do anything that May-may requests of him?
7. What does Brock do that causes Dirk to accuse him of piracy?
8. Who are the three people that Dirk must send to England to receive an English education.
9. Why does Dirk oppose Longstaff's idea of evacuating Happy Valley?
10. What does Wu Fang Choi request from Dirk when he presents his half coin?
This section contains 619 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)