|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Dirk and Culum press Brock to grant Culum?
(a) A position in Brock's company.
(b) The rights to the knoll.
(c) A quick marriage to Tess.
(d) Access to Brock's records.
2. What activity will end the day of festivities?
(a) Culum and Tess's wedding.
(b) The sale of Hong Kong.
(c) The ball.
(d) Dirk and May-may's wedding.
3. What is Brock's ship called?
(a) The Resting Cloud.
(b) The White Witch.
(c) The Scarlet Cloud.
(d) The Black Witch.
4. Where do the British plan to attack in Chapter 27?
(a) Happy Valley.
(b) Canton and Peking.
5. What do Sarah and Robb argue about before the ball?
(b) Robb's inability to return to England with Sarah.
(c) Their daughter's wedding.
(d) The baby.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of a ship do Dirk and Culum see from the mountain?
2. How long does it take the British to recapture Canton?
3. What does May-may ask Dirk to do after their argument over her ball gown?
4. With whom is May-May waiting in Dirk's quarters when he returns from his first meeting with Jin-qua?
5. Who wins the ball gown contest?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the merchants think they will be attacked when they are at the Canton settlement?
2. When Brock is dressing for the ball, what does he try to hide from Liza?
3. Why does Jin-qua order Gordon Chen to do anything that May-may requests of him?
4. Who are the three people that Dirk must send to England to receive an English education.
5. After finding May-may dressed in a ball gown with her hair styled like an English woman's, what does Dirk do to restore her dignity?
6. Why is the note that Longstaff asks to have translated into Chinese puzzling to Horatio and Glessing?
7. What is Dirk's reason for firing Captain Perry?
8. Why does Dirk view Hong Kong as a valuable prize?
9. As Zergeyev is judging the gown contest, why does he try to find out who Dirk favors?
10. Why does Brock plan to replace his clipper ships with steam-powered ships?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)