|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose servants are secretly all a part of Hung Mun Tong?
(c) The bishop's.
2. Who is kept busy painting portraits of Robb's children?
(a) Aristotle Quance.
(b) Maureen Quance.
(c) Liza Brock.
(d) Mary Sinclair.
3. Who does May-may tell Gordon Chen she wants killed in Macao?
4. What does Dirk insist Culum begin to do regularly?
(a) Visit him.
(b) Go to church.
(d) Travel to England.
5. What do Dirk and Culum press Brock to grant Culum?
(a) The rights to the knoll.
(b) Access to Brock's records.
(c) A quick marriage to Tess.
(d) A position in Brock's company.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who halts all trade between the Chinese and the foreigners?
2. The Chinese call Straun and Company another name. What is it?
3. How long is the indenture agreement for the men who arrive with Captain Scragger?
4. With whom is May-May waiting in Dirk's quarters when he returns from his first meeting with Jin-qua?
5. In Chapter 4, who is Dirk waiting to see in Canton?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sarah tell Dirk about Robb's last message to him?
2. Why do the Chinese consider Ti-sen a traitor?
3. According to Culum, how did Dirk use him and Tess?
4. After the typhoon, how does Skinner plan to publish the next issue of his paper?
5. How does Dirk feel about the way Culum solves the problem of the knoll?
6. What causes the wages and costs in Hong Kong to rise above Dirk's expectations?
7. How does Longstaff plan to break into China's tea monopoly?
8. Why does May-may think Tess and Culum should marry as quickly as possible?
9. How will Dirk and the others know when the eye of the storm is centered over Hong Kong?
10. During the storm, how does one of Dirk's sailors die?
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)