|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is in the sack that Dirk finds in Aberdeen?
(a) Scragger's body.
(b) Gorth's body.
2. What does Liza beg Brock to recognize Culum as?
(a) His rival.
(b) Tess's husband.
(c) His better.
(d) Tai pan.
3. What cuts off Glessing's arm?
(a) A pane of glass.
(b) Brock's sword.
(c) A falling tree.
(d) A falling flagpole.
4. In Chapter 47, what fails to fall before the storm?
(a) The Chinese flag.
(b) The barometer.
(d) A windmill.
5. What does May-may buy Dirk for his birthday?
(a) An expensive bottle of whiskey.
(b) A new suit.
(c) A clipper ship.
(d) A Chinese girl.
6. Who does Dirk sail to Aberdeen to meet at midnight?
7. In Chapter 37, who is the letter from that Culum delivers to Dirk?
8. When Dirk returns from the English Club following the duel challenge, who is waiting for him at his home?
(a) Tess Brock.
(b) Wu Fang Choi.
(c) Mary Sinclair.
(d) Liza Brock.
9. Who does Dirk want to introduce Zergeyev around Washington, D.C.?
10. Where do Culum and Tess stay in Macao after their wedding?
(a) The English Hotel.
(b) The White Witch.
(c) The Resting Cloud.
(d) Dirk's factory.
11. What does Dirk tell Culum and Tess they are a part of regardless of what Brock says?
(a) The Noble House.
(b) The British government.
(c) Brock's family.
(d) Dirk's family.
12. Why is Glessing angry with Longstaff in Chapter 47?
(a) Longstaff lied to him.
(b) Longstaff flirted with Mary.
(c) Longstaff cheated him out of money.
(d) Longstaff suggested that Glessing go to England.
13. Who does Dirk tell Brock is to blame for drugging Culum and taking him to a whorehouse?
14. What does Dirk offer the doctor if he can cure May-may?
(a) 20,000 taels of silver.
(b) 1,000 pounds.
(c) A permanent position as his company doctor.
(d) 1 million bullion.
15. How long does Dirk give Gordon to find out who the leader of the Triads in Hong Kong is?
(a) One week.
(b) One year.
(c) Three days.
(d) Six months.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Brock tell Dirk he will have anything to do with Tess and Culum after they are married?
2. While at the knoll, what do Dirk and Brock agree is coming?
3. When May-may learns she will survive the malaria, what does she contemplate doing but decides against?
4. Whom does Culum ask to take care of the funeral arrangements for Dirk and May-may?
5. Who performs the marriage of Culum and Tess?
This section contains 432 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)