|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Glessing angry with Longstaff in Chapter 47?
(a) Longstaff cheated him out of money.
(b) Longstaff suggested that Glessing go to England.
(c) Longstaff flirted with Mary.
(d) Longstaff lied to him.
2. Who fills May-may in on everything that happened while she was ill?
(b) Mary Sinclair.
3. Where does Brock plan to ride out the storm?
(a) On the White Witch.
(b) At Dirk's house.
(c) In the emperor's palace.
(d) At Dirk's factory.
4. What is in the secret report Dirk finds in the briefcase that worries him?
(a) Details on the opium trade.
(b) A Russian plan for world domination.
(c) Information about the tea trade.
(d) A Russian plan to start a new trading company.
5. Who left a briefcase with the bishop, which the bishop gives to Dirk?
(c) The emperor.
6. What do Dirk and Wu Kwok both vow to do after Dirk finds the sack?
(a) Kill each other.
(b) Avenge Scragger's death.
(c) Murder Brock.
(d) Join forces.
7. When does Brock tell Dirk he will have anything to do with Tess and Culum after they are married?
(a) When Brock is tai-pan.
(c) When Tess has her first child.
(d) When Culum is tai-pan.
8. In Chapter 33, who tells Dirk they cannot find the bark?
(b) Gordon Chen.
(d) The bishop.
9. What does the British government plan to do with Longstaff?
(a) Promote him.
(b) Replace him.
(c) Send him to Russia.
(d) Have him executed.
10. Whom does Culum ask to take care of the funeral arrangements for Dirk and May-may?
11. How long does Dirk give Gordon to find out who the leader of the Triads in Hong Kong is?
(a) One year.
(b) One week.
(c) Six months.
(d) Three days.
12. In Chapter 34, who finds out that Mary Sinclair took herbs to cause an abortion?
(d) Gordon Chen.
13. What does Dirk tell Culum and Tess they are a part of regardless of what Brock says?
(a) Brock's family.
(b) The British government.
(c) Dirk's family.
(d) The Noble House.
14. In Chapter 50, who suggests to Culum that they join their houses?
15. According to May-may, how did she hear of Yin-hsi?
(a) From Mary Sinclair.
(b) Through an ad.
(c) At a whorehouse.
(d) From Jin-qua's Tai-Tai.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Culum tell Dirk he will join The Noble House with?
2. What does Dirk want to do during his trip back to England?
3. In Chapter 49, what does Dirk order Orlov to do?
4. What is in the sack that Dirk finds in Aberdeen?
5. What does Dirk set up a partnership with Cooper to trade?
This section contains 451 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)