|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Culum and Tess stay in Macao after their wedding?
(a) The Resting Cloud.
(b) Dirk's factory.
(c) The English Hotel.
(d) The White Witch.
2. In Chapter 47, what fails to fall before the storm?
(b) The Chinese flag.
(c) The barometer.
(d) A windmill.
3. Who rings up a bill at the whorehouse that Dirk agrees to pay one last time?
(a) Aristotle Quance.
4. Who performs the marriage of Culum and Tess?
(c) The bishop.
(d) Captain Orlov.
5. Who gives Culum the idea to elope with Tess?
6. What does Liza beg Brock to recognize Culum as?
(a) His rival.
(b) Tai pan.
(c) Tess's husband.
(d) His better.
7. Who does Culum tell Brock gave him the idea to elope with Tess?
8. What did the British government want Longstaff to take instead of Hong Kong?
(a) Five or six Chinese ports.
(c) Control of all Chinese trade.
(d) Mainland China.
9. What does Skinner lose in the storm?
(a) His printing equipment.
(b) His home.
(c) His life.
(d) His daughter.
10. What is Monsey sent to tell Longstaff?
(a) To leave Hong Kong.
(b) To marry Mary Sinclair.
(c) To purchase tea seeds.
(d) To stay in Hong Kong.
11. What happens to Dirk's factory during the second round of the storm?
(a) It stands strong.
(b) The western wall crumbles.
(c) All of the windows are blown out.
(d) The roof blows off.
12. What is Aristotle the first to call Culum?
(c) Mr. Straun.
13. When the eye of the storm arrives, what does Horatio plan to see Glessing about?
(a) Glessing ending his engagement to Mary.
(b) Entering the opium trade.
(c) Purchasing some land.
(d) Assassinating Brock.
14. When May-may learns she will survive the malaria, what does she contemplate doing but decides against?
(a) Becoming Christian.
(b) Becoming a nun.
(c) Becoming a nurse.
(d) Marrying Dirk.
15. When Dirk returns from the English Club following the duel challenge, who is waiting for him at his home?
(a) Liza Brock.
(b) Mary Sinclair.
(c) Wu Fang Choi.
(d) Tess Brock.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Dirk tell Brock is to blame for drugging Culum and taking him to a whorehouse?
2. How is the bark to cure her of malaria given to May-may.
3. What does May-may buy Dirk for his birthday?
4. When does Brock tell Dirk he will have anything to do with Tess and Culum after they are married?
5. Who does Dirk challenge to a duel?
This section contains 427 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)