|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who fills May-may in on everything that happened while she was ill?
(a) Mary Sinclair.
2. Who is upset by the article in the <i>Oriental Times</i>?
(a) Mary Sinclair.
3. Who threatens to charge Culum with treason if he doesn't deliver Dirk's papers to him?
4. Whose body is discovered in an alley near Chinatown?
5. What does Liza beg Brock to recognize Culum as?
(a) Tess's husband.
(b) Tai pan.
(c) His rival.
(d) His better.
6. Who rings up a bill at the whorehouse that Dirk agrees to pay one last time?
(c) Aristotle Quance.
7. Who does Dirk tell Brock is to blame for drugging Culum and taking him to a whorehouse?
8. What is in the secret report Dirk finds in the briefcase that worries him?
(a) A Russian plan for world domination.
(b) A Russian plan to start a new trading company.
(c) Details on the opium trade.
(d) Information about the tea trade.
9. Who is Dirk surprised to see at the factory during the storm?
(c) Wu Kwok.
10. To whom does Dirk offer the job of head of the fleet?
(b) Captain Orlov.
11. According to May-may, how did she hear of Yin-hsi?
(a) From Jin-qua's Tai-Tai.
(b) Through an ad.
(c) From Mary Sinclair.
(d) At a whorehouse.
12. What does the British government plan to do with Longstaff?
(a) Replace him.
(b) Have him executed.
(c) Send him to Russia.
(d) Promote him.
13. Where do Culum and Tess stay in Macao after their wedding?
(a) Dirk's factory.
(b) The Resting Cloud.
(c) The English Hotel.
(d) The White Witch.
14. What is Brock planning to do with Dirk when he summons him to the knoll?
(a) Demand money.
(b) Fight to the death.
(c) Sell him the knoll.
(d) Make a deal with him.
15. What does Brock apologize to Dirk for when they are at the knoll together?
(a) Tricking him.
(b) Gorth's behavior and summoning Dirk to the knoll.
(d) Tess and Culum's marriage.
Short Answer Questions
1. What name does Dirk suggest for the new town in Hong Kong?
2. When May-may learns she will survive the malaria, what does she contemplate doing but decides against?
3. Who tells Dirk that dueling is outlawed in Macao?
4. Who gives Culum the idea to elope with Tess?
5. What does the bishop tell Dirk he owes the church for the bark to cure May-may?
This section contains 420 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)