|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to May-may, how did she hear of Yin-hsi?
(a) Through an ad.
(b) From Jin-qua's Tai-Tai.
(c) From Mary Sinclair.
(d) At a whorehouse.
2. What does Dirk decide to do with May-may in Chapter 44?
(a) Sell her.
(b) Leave her.
(c) Marry her.
(d) Murder her.
3. What does Dirk set up a partnership with Cooper to trade?
(a) Cinchona bark.
(b) Chinese slaves.
4. Who does Culum accuse Dirk of using Culum and Tess's elopement to provoke?
5. With what kind of juice does May-may start taking her medicine?
6. In Chapter 47, what fails to fall before the storm?
(a) A windmill.
(c) The barometer.
(d) The Chinese flag.
7. What is Brock planning to do with Dirk when he summons him to the knoll?
(a) Make a deal with him.
(b) Fight to the death.
(c) Demand money.
(d) Sell him the knoll.
8. How is the bark to cure her of malaria given to May-may.
(a) In a syrup.
(b) In a powder.
(c) In a tea.
(d) In a tablet.
9. What cuts off Glessing's arm?
(a) A pane of glass.
(b) A falling flagpole.
(c) Brock's sword.
(d) A falling tree.
10. According to the documents in the briefcase, who will be in position to take control of China in five years?
(a) The Russians.
(b) The Portuguese.
(c) The Americans.
(d) The British.
11. The bishop sends word to Dirk saying there may be cinchona bark at a mission where?
(a) In Canton.
(b) In Bi Tong.
(c) In Lo Ting.
(d) In Quenoy.
12. Who does Dirk tell Brock is to blame for drugging Culum and taking him to a whorehouse?
13. Where does Brock plan to ride out the storm?
(a) At Dirk's factory.
(b) In the emperor's palace.
(c) At Dirk's house.
(d) On the White Witch.
14. What makes Gordon angry about Dirk confronting him regarding the Triads?
(a) May-may told Dirk about Gordon's leadership position.
(b) The assassin talked.
(c) Dirk is lying.
(d) He is hurt that Dirk doesn't trust him.
15. What name does Dirk suggest for the new town in Hong Kong?
(a) New England.
(b) London Town.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does Dirk offer the job of head of the fleet?
2. What is Horatio ranting about during the storm?
3. How does Gordon respond to Dirk when Dirk asks him if he is the leader of the Triads in Hong Kong.
4. What does Dirk offer the doctor if he can cure May-may?
5. What has Monsey been instructed to sail regardless of?
This section contains 450 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)