|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter 48, what is falling rapidly?
(a) The barometer.
(d) The price of tea.
2. Where do Culum and Tess stay in Macao after their wedding?
(a) The English Hotel.
(b) The White Witch.
(c) Dirk's factory.
(d) The Resting Cloud.
3. What is in the secret report Dirk finds in the briefcase that worries him?
(a) Details on the opium trade.
(b) A Russian plan to start a new trading company.
(c) A Russian plan for world domination.
(d) Information about the tea trade.
4. Who does Culum tell Dirk he will join The Noble House with?
(a) Cooper and Tillman.
(b) Brock and Sons.
(c) No one.
5. Why is Glessing angry with Longstaff in Chapter 47?
(a) Longstaff lied to him.
(b) Longstaff suggested that Glessing go to England.
(c) Longstaff cheated him out of money.
(d) Longstaff flirted with Mary.
6. What does Liza beg Brock to recognize Culum as?
(a) His better.
(b) Tai pan.
(c) Tess's husband.
(d) His rival.
7. What does Skinner's editorial urge the traders to do?
(a) Purchase tea.
(b) Discredit Cunningham.
(c) Purchase opium.
(d) Leave China.
8. Who fills May-may in on everything that happened while she was ill?
(b) Mary Sinclair.
9. What does Dirk offer the doctor if he can cure May-may?
(a) 1,000 pounds.
(b) A permanent position as his company doctor.
(c) 20,000 taels of silver.
(d) 1 million bullion.
10. Who gives Culum the idea to elope with Tess?
11. What is Horatio ranting about during the storm?
(a) Dirk's plan to marry May-may.
(b) Mary's abortion.
(c) The opium trade.
(d) Tess's marriage to Culum.
12. While at the knoll, what do Dirk and Brock agree is coming?
(a) The death of Brock.
(b) A typhoon.
(c) The British army.
(d) The end of their trading days.
13. What does May-may buy Dirk for his birthday?
(a) A clipper ship.
(b) A Chinese girl.
(c) A new suit.
(d) An expensive bottle of whiskey.
14. Who does Dirk remind there are laws against murder when Culum is missing?
(b) Wu Kwok.
15. Where is the bishop's palace?
(a) Near the Great Wall.
(b) In Canton.
(c) In Quenoy.
(d) In Happy Valley.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Brock plan to ride out the storm?
2. Who threatens to charge Culum with treason if he doesn't deliver Dirk's papers to him?
3. What is Brock planning to do with Dirk when he summons him to the knoll?
4. Who does Dirk sail to Aberdeen to meet at midnight?
5. Who does May-may order to join Dirk in his bed?
This section contains 422 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)