|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When May-may learns she will survive the malaria, what does she contemplate doing but decides against?
(a) Becoming a nurse.
(b) Becoming Christian.
(c) Marrying Dirk.
(d) Becoming a nun.
2. What do Dirk and Wu Kwok both vow to do after Dirk finds the sack?
(a) Join forces.
(b) Murder Brock.
(c) Kill each other.
(d) Avenge Scragger's death.
3. Who rings up a bill at the whorehouse that Dirk agrees to pay one last time?
(c) Aristotle Quance.
4. Whom does Culum ask to take care of the funeral arrangements for Dirk and May-may?
5. When Dirk arrives at the harbor master's office, where are Tess and Culum?
(a) On the White Witch.
(b) In the harbor master's office.
(c) At church.
(d) At Dirk's factory.
6. In Chapter 33, who tells Dirk they cannot find the bark?
(c) The bishop.
(d) Gordon Chen.
7. What is in the sack that Dirk finds in Aberdeen?
(c) Gorth's body.
(d) Scragger's body.
8. Who does May-may order to join Dirk in his bed?
(c) Mary Sinclair.
9. Who does Dirk bring to the factory to ride out the storm?
(b) His crew and naval personnel.
(d) Tess and Culum.
10. Where does Brock plan to ride out the storm?
(a) On the White Witch.
(b) At Dirk's house.
(c) At Dirk's factory.
(d) In the emperor's palace.
11. When Dirk returns from the English Club following the duel challenge, who is waiting for him at his home?
(a) Mary Sinclair.
(b) Liza Brock.
(c) Tess Brock.
(d) Wu Fang Choi.
12. Who is the leader of the Triads in Macao?
(b) Chen Sheng.
(c) Gordon Chen.
13. Who does Culum tell Dirk he will join The Noble House with?
(a) Brock and Sons.
(b) No one.
(d) Cooper and Tillman.
14. What is the bark that might cure May-may but might also be a wives' tale?
(a) Cinchona bark.
(b) Eucalyptus bark.
(c) Poplar bark.
(d) Cherry tree bark.
15. Who gives Culum the idea to elope with Tess?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dirk set up a partnership with Cooper to trade?
2. In Chapter 44, what is the only reason Dirk will allow himself to be disturbed when he returns home?
3. Whose body is discovered in an alley near Chinatown?
4. With what kind of juice does May-may start taking her medicine?
5. What cuts off Glessing's arm?
This section contains 401 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)