|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While at the knoll, what do Dirk and Brock agree is coming?
(a) A typhoon.
(b) The British army.
(c) The end of their trading days.
(d) The death of Brock.
2. When does Brock tell Dirk he will have anything to do with Tess and Culum after they are married?
(a) When Brock is tai-pan.
(b) When Culum is tai-pan.
(d) When Tess has her first child.
3. In Chapter 50, who suggests to Culum that they join their houses?
4. Who does Dirk sail to Aberdeen to meet at midnight?
5. What do Dirk and Wu Kwok both vow to do after Dirk finds the sack?
(a) Kill each other.
(b) Avenge Scragger's death.
(c) Join forces.
(d) Murder Brock.
6. What does Skinner's editorial urge the traders to do?
(a) Purchase opium.
(b) Purchase tea.
(c) Leave China.
(d) Discredit Cunningham.
7. According to the documents in the briefcase, who will be in position to take control of China in five years?
(a) The Russians.
(b) The Americans.
(c) The Portuguese.
(d) The British.
8. What does Dirk want to do during his trip back to England?
(a) Marry May-may.
(b) Sleep many hours.
(c) Attack the pirate fleet.
(d) Send a letter to Zergeyev.
9. In Chapter 42, how many days ahead of Dirk's ship is Brock's ship on the way to England?
(a) Three days.
(b) One day.
(c) Five days.
(d) Six days.
10. Who is upset by the article in the Oriental Times?
(d) Mary Sinclair.
11. What is Brock planning to do with Dirk when he summons him to the knoll?
(a) Demand money.
(b) Sell him the knoll.
(c) Make a deal with him.
(d) Fight to the death.
12. In Chapter 34, who finds out that Mary Sinclair took herbs to cause an abortion?
(a) Gordon Chen.
13. Who is the leader of the Triads in Macao?
(c) Gordon Chen.
(d) Chen Sheng.
14. Who fills May-may in on everything that happened while she was ill?
(d) Mary Sinclair.
15. The bishop sends word to Dirk saying there may be cinchona bark at a mission where?
(a) In Bi Tong.
(b) In Canton.
(c) In Quenoy.
(d) In Lo Ting.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does Dirk offer the job of head of the fleet?
2. When Dirk arrives at the harbor master's office, where are Tess and Culum?
3. What does the British government plan to do with Longstaff?
4. Who does Culum tell Brock gave him the idea to elope with Tess?
5. What is in the secret report Dirk finds in the briefcase that worries him?
This section contains 454 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)