|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Dirk arrives at the harbor master's office, where are Tess and Culum?
(a) At Dirk's factory.
(b) At church.
(c) In the harbor master's office.
(d) On the White Witch.
2. Who does Dirk tell Brock is to blame for drugging Culum and taking him to a whorehouse?
3. What does Dirk offer the doctor if he can cure May-may?
(a) 1 million bullion.
(b) 20,000 taels of silver.
(c) A permanent position as his company doctor.
(d) 1,000 pounds.
4. In Chapter 47, what fails to fall before the storm?
(a) The Chinese flag.
(c) The barometer.
(d) A windmill.
5. In Chapter 50, who suggests to Culum that they join their houses?
6. Which ship collides with the Boston Princess?
(a) The Resting Cloud.
(b) The White Witch.
(c) The China Cloud.
(d) The Scarlet Cloud.
7. What is Brock planning to do with Dirk when he summons him to the knoll?
(a) Demand money.
(b) Make a deal with him.
(c) Fight to the death.
(d) Sell him the knoll.
8. Who performs the marriage of Culum and Tess?
(c) The bishop.
(d) Captain Orlov.
9. According to May-may, how did she hear of Yin-hsi?
(a) From Jin-qua's Tai-Tai.
(b) Through an ad.
(c) At a whorehouse.
(d) From Mary Sinclair.
10. What does Dirk set up a partnership with Cooper to trade?
(a) Cinchona bark.
(d) Chinese slaves.
11. With what kind of juice does May-may start taking her medicine?
12. What is the bark that might cure May-may but might also be a wives' tale?
(a) Poplar bark.
(b) Cinchona bark.
(c) Eucalyptus bark.
(d) Cherry tree bark.
13. Who is upset by the article in the <i>Oriental Times</i>?
(b) Mary Sinclair.
14. Where do Culum and Dirk agree to have dinner together in Chapter 41?
(a) At Tess and Culum's house.
(b) Dirk's house.
(c) Brock's house.
(d) The club.
15. Who secretly owns the <i>Oriental Times</i>?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 34, who finds out that Mary Sinclair took herbs to cause an abortion?
2. What does Brock apologize to Dirk for when they are at the knoll together?
3. Who does Dirk bring to the factory to ride out the storm?
4. When May-may learns she will survive the malaria, what does she contemplate doing but decides against?
5. Who is the leader of the Triads in Macao?
This section contains 407 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)