|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Horatio ranting about during the storm?
(a) Tess's marriage to Culum.
(b) Dirk's plan to marry May-may.
(c) Mary's abortion.
(d) The opium trade.
2. What makes Gordon angry about Dirk confronting him regarding the Triads?
(a) Dirk is lying.
(b) The assassin talked.
(c) May-may told Dirk about Gordon's leadership position.
(d) He is hurt that Dirk doesn't trust him.
3. In Chapter 50, who suggests to Culum that they join their houses?
4. In Chapter 40, for how many more days does Dirk tell May-may she has to drink the tea?
5. Who does Dirk ask to be Tai-Tai?
(d) Wu Kwok.
6. Why is Glessing angry with Longstaff in Chapter 47?
(a) Longstaff flirted with Mary.
(b) Longstaff lied to him.
(c) Longstaff suggested that Glessing go to England.
(d) Longstaff cheated him out of money.
7. What does Skinner's editorial urge the traders to do?
(a) Purchase tea.
(b) Purchase opium.
(c) Leave China.
(d) Discredit Cunningham.
8. How is the bark to cure her of malaria given to May-may.
(a) In a tea.
(b) In a powder.
(c) In a syrup.
(d) In a tablet.
9. When May-may learns she will survive the malaria, what does she contemplate doing but decides against?
(a) Becoming Christian.
(b) Marrying Dirk.
(c) Becoming a nurse.
(d) Becoming a nun.
10. How long does Dirk give Gordon to find out who the leader of the Triads in Hong Kong is?
(a) One week.
(b) Three days.
(c) One year.
(d) Six months.
11. In Chapter 47, what fails to fall before the storm?
(a) The barometer.
(c) A windmill.
(d) The Chinese flag.
12. Who does Dirk remind there are laws against murder when Culum is missing?
(b) Wu Kwok.
13. With what kind of juice does May-may start taking her medicine?
14. What do Dirk and Wu Kwok both vow to do after Dirk finds the sack?
(a) Kill each other.
(b) Murder Brock.
(c) Join forces.
(d) Avenge Scragger's death.
15. Who is the leader of the Triads in Macao?
(b) Chen Sheng.
(d) Gordon Chen.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells Dirk that dueling is outlawed in Macao?
2. What does May-may buy Dirk for his birthday?
3. At the beginning of Chapter 48, what is falling rapidly?
4. When Dirk returns from the English Club following the duel challenge, who is waiting for him at his home?
5. In Chapter 42, how many days ahead of Dirk's ship is Brock's ship on the way to England?
This section contains 424 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)