|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 49, what does Dirk order Orlov to do?
(a) Purchase opium.
(b) Sail to Peru.
(c) Turn the China Cloud around.
(d) Murder Gorth.
2. Whom does Culum ask to take care of the funeral arrangements for Dirk and May-may?
3. Who secretly owns the Oriental Times?
4. The bishop sends word to Dirk saying there may be cinchona bark at a mission where?
(a) In Bi Tong.
(b) In Canton.
(c) In Quenoy.
(d) In Lo Ting.
5. Who sent Monsey to Hong Kong?
(b) The Queen of England.
6. Who rings up a bill at the whorehouse that Dirk agrees to pay one last time?
(c) Aristotle Quance.
7. Which ship collides with the Boston Princess?
(a) The Scarlet Cloud.
(b) The China Cloud.
(c) The Resting Cloud.
(d) The White Witch.
8. In Chapter 37, who is the letter from that Culum delivers to Dirk?
9. When May-may learns she will survive the malaria, what does she contemplate doing but decides against?
(a) Becoming a nurse.
(b) Becoming Christian.
(c) Becoming a nun.
(d) Marrying Dirk.
10. Where does the bishop say he was when the bark cured his malaria?
11. While at the knoll, what do Dirk and Brock agree is coming?
(a) The death of Brock.
(b) The end of their trading days.
(c) The British army.
(d) A typhoon.
12. In Chapter 40, for how many more days does Dirk tell May-may she has to drink the tea?
13. Why do some people believe the storm in Chapter 47 isn't a typhoon?
(a) It isn't strong enough.
(b) There are never typhoons in Hong Kong.
(c) The winds are from the north.
(d) It's the wrong season.
14. What does Skinner lose in the storm?
(a) His printing equipment.
(b) His home.
(c) His daughter.
(d) His life.
15. What does Brock apologize to Dirk for when they are at the knoll together?
(a) Gorth's behavior and summoning Dirk to the knoll.
(b) Tricking him.
(c) Tess and Culum's marriage.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Horatio ranting about during the storm?
2. When Dirk returns from the English Club following the duel challenge, who is waiting for him at his home?
3. When does Brock tell Dirk he will have anything to do with Tess and Culum after they are married?
4. Who does Culum tell Brock gave him the idea to elope with Tess?
5. What does the British government plan to do with Longstaff?
This section contains 436 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)