|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 42, how many days ahead of Dirk's ship is Brock's ship on the way to England?
(a) Three days.
(b) One day.
(c) Six days.
(d) Five days.
2. Who performs the marriage of Culum and Tess?
(c) Captain Orlov.
(d) The bishop.
3. What is Roger Blore's real name?
(a) Jeff Cooper.
(b) John Adamson.
(c) Wilf Tillman.
(d) Richard Crosse.
4. What did the British government want Longstaff to take instead of Hong Kong?
(a) Mainland China.
(c) Five or six Chinese ports.
(d) Control of all Chinese trade.
5. According to May-may, how did she hear of Yin-hsi?
(a) At a whorehouse.
(b) From Jin-qua's Tai-Tai.
(c) Through an ad.
(d) From Mary Sinclair.
6. Who is upset by the article in the Oriental Times?
(a) Mary Sinclair.
7. What does the British government plan to do with Longstaff?
(a) Have him executed.
(b) Promote him.
(c) Send him to Russia.
(d) Replace him.
8. In Chapter 33, who tells Dirk they cannot find the bark?
(c) Gordon Chen.
(d) The bishop.
9. Where do Culum and Tess stay in Macao after their wedding?
(a) The White Witch.
(b) The English Hotel.
(c) Dirk's factory.
(d) The Resting Cloud.
10. Who does Culum tell Brock gave him the idea to elope with Tess?
11. Why do some people believe the storm in Chapter 47 isn't a typhoon?
(a) It isn't strong enough.
(b) It's the wrong season.
(c) There are never typhoons in Hong Kong.
(d) The winds are from the north.
12. When Dirk arrives at the harbor master's office, where are Tess and Culum?
(a) At Dirk's factory.
(b) In the harbor master's office.
(c) On the White Witch.
(d) At church.
13. What does Dirk set up a partnership with Cooper to trade?
(a) Chinese slaves.
(d) Cinchona bark.
14. In Chapter 44, what is the only reason Dirk will allow himself to be disturbed when he returns home?
(a) For May-may.
(b) For Culum.
(c) For the emperor.
(d) For an emergency.
15. Whose body is discovered in an alley near Chinatown?
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes Gordon angry about Dirk confronting him regarding the Triads?
2. What does the bishop tell Dirk he owes the church for the bark to cure May-may?
3. Where is the bishop's palace?
4. Who does May-may send to talk to Mary Sinclair?
5. What does Dirk offer the doctor if he can cure May-may?
This section contains 421 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)