|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does May-may send to talk to Mary Sinclair?
(c) Her elder sister.
2. When May-may learns she will survive the malaria, what does she contemplate doing but decides against?
(a) Becoming Christian.
(b) Becoming a nun.
(c) Becoming a nurse.
(d) Marrying Dirk.
3. What does Dirk do while he waits for word about the missing Culum?
(a) Visits a whorehouse.
(b) Searches the streets for Culum.
(c) Tries to work.
4. When Dirk returns from the English Club following the duel challenge, who is waiting for him at his home?
(a) Liza Brock.
(b) Mary Sinclair.
(c) Wu Fang Choi.
(d) Tess Brock.
5. Who does Dirk remind there are laws against murder when Culum is missing?
(c) Wu Kwok.
6. Who does Culum accuse Dirk of using Culum and Tess's elopement to provoke?
7. How does Gordon respond to Dirk when Dirk asks him if he is the leader of the Triads in Hong Kong.
(a) He attacks Dirk.
(b) He says it's a lie.
(c) He tells Dirk that Brock is the leader.
(d) He admits it is true.
8. What does Dirk decide to do with May-may in Chapter 44?
(a) Marry her.
(b) Leave her.
(c) Murder her.
(d) Sell her.
9. How is the bark to cure her of malaria given to May-may.
(a) In a syrup.
(b) In a tablet.
(c) In a tea.
(d) In a powder.
10. What is Monsey sent to tell Longstaff?
(a) To leave Hong Kong.
(b) To marry Mary Sinclair.
(c) To stay in Hong Kong.
(d) To purchase tea seeds.
11. In Chapter 33, who tells Dirk they cannot find the bark?
(a) The bishop.
(d) Gordon Chen.
12. Who threatens to charge Culum with treason if he doesn't deliver Dirk's papers to him?
13. In Chapter 37, who is the letter from that Culum delivers to Dirk?
14. Who do the authorities learn is the leader of the Triads in Hong Kong when they capture the assassin?
(a) Wu Kwok.
(c) Gordon Chen.
15. While at the knoll, what do Dirk and Brock agree is coming?
(a) A typhoon.
(b) The British army.
(c) The death of Brock.
(d) The end of their trading days.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Dirk arrives at the harbor master's office, where are Tess and Culum?
2. What do Dirk and Wu Kwok both vow to do after Dirk finds the sack?
3. In Chapter 40, for how many more days does Dirk tell May-may she has to drink the tea?
4. What is Roger Blore's real name?
5. What is Brock planning to do with Dirk when he summons him to the knoll?
This section contains 457 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)