|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does May-may order to join Dirk in his bed?
(d) Mary Sinclair.
2. Who does Dirk want to introduce Zergeyev around Washington, D.C.?
3. Where is the bishop's palace?
(a) In Quenoy.
(b) In Happy Valley.
(c) In Canton.
(d) Near the Great Wall.
4. Where does Brock plan to ride out the storm?
(a) In the emperor's palace.
(b) At Dirk's house.
(c) At Dirk's factory.
(d) On the White Witch.
5. What is in the sack that Dirk finds in Aberdeen?
(b) Gorth's body.
(c) Scragger's body.
6. Whose body is discovered in an alley near Chinatown?
7. In Chapter 45, where does Brock ask Dirk to meet him?
(a) On the White Witch.
(b) At the knoll.
(c) At May-may's house.
(d) At the factory.
8. Where does the bishop say he was when the bark cured his malaria?
9. Who threatens to charge Culum with treason if he doesn't deliver Dirk's papers to him?
10. Who is Dirk surprised to see at the factory during the storm?
(a) Wu Kwok.
11. What does Dirk do while he waits for word about the missing Culum?
(a) Visits a whorehouse.
(b) Tries to work.
(d) Searches the streets for Culum.
12. According to May-may, how did she hear of Yin-hsi?
(a) From Jin-qua's Tai-Tai.
(b) At a whorehouse.
(c) Through an ad.
(d) From Mary Sinclair.
13. When May-may learns she will survive the malaria, what does she contemplate doing but decides against?
(a) Becoming a nurse.
(b) Becoming Christian.
(c) Becoming a nun.
(d) Marrying Dirk.
14. What is the bark that might cure May-may but might also be a wives' tale?
(a) Cherry tree bark.
(b) Eucalyptus bark.
(c) Cinchona bark.
(d) Poplar bark.
15. Which ship collides with the Boston Princess?
(a) The Resting Cloud.
(b) The Scarlet Cloud.
(c) The China Cloud.
(d) The White Witch.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the leader of the Triads in Macao?
2. Where do Culum and Dirk agree to have dinner together in Chapter 41?
3. In Chapter 44, what is the only reason Dirk will allow himself to be disturbed when he returns home?
4. Whom does Culum ask to take care of the funeral arrangements for Dirk and May-may?
5. What does Skinner lose in the storm?
This section contains 390 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)