|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Liza beg Brock to recognize Culum as?
(a) Tess's husband.
(b) Tai pan.
(c) His rival.
(d) His better.
2. What is in the secret report Dirk finds in the briefcase that worries him?
(a) Details on the opium trade.
(b) A Russian plan for world domination.
(c) A Russian plan to start a new trading company.
(d) Information about the tea trade.
3. Who fills May-may in on everything that happened while she was ill?
(d) Mary Sinclair.
4. With what kind of juice does May-may start taking her medicine?
5. What makes Gordon angry about Dirk confronting him regarding the Triads?
(a) The assassin talked.
(b) He is hurt that Dirk doesn't trust him.
(c) May-may told Dirk about Gordon's leadership position.
(d) Dirk is lying.
6. What cuts off Glessing's arm?
(a) A falling flagpole.
(b) A falling tree.
(c) Brock's sword.
(d) A pane of glass.
7. Where does the bishop say he was when the bark cured his malaria?
8. What does Dirk set up a partnership with Cooper to trade?
(a) Cinchona bark.
(c) Chinese slaves.
9. Where is the bishop's palace?
(a) Near the Great Wall.
(b) In Happy Valley.
(c) In Quenoy.
(d) In Canton.
10. In Chapter 37, who is the letter from that Culum delivers to Dirk?
11. In Chapter 47, what fails to fall before the storm?
(b) A windmill.
(c) The Chinese flag.
(d) The barometer.
12. What does Brock apologize to Dirk for when they are at the knoll together?
(a) Tricking him.
(b) Tess and Culum's marriage.
(c) Gorth's behavior and summoning Dirk to the knoll.
13. What did the British government want Longstaff to take instead of Hong Kong?
(a) Control of all Chinese trade.
(b) Five or six Chinese ports.
(c) Mainland China.
14. When May-may learns she will survive the malaria, what does she contemplate doing but decides against?
(a) Marrying Dirk.
(b) Becoming Christian.
(c) Becoming a nurse.
(d) Becoming a nun.
15. According to May-may, how did she hear of Yin-hsi?
(a) Through an ad.
(b) At a whorehouse.
(c) From Jin-qua's Tai-Tai.
(d) From Mary Sinclair.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the bishop tell Dirk he owes the church for the bark to cure May-may?
2. Who does Dirk tell Brock is to blame for drugging Culum and taking him to a whorehouse?
3. What does Dirk decide to do with May-may in Chapter 44?
4. What is Roger Blore's real name?
5. Who secretly owns the Oriental Times?
This section contains 410 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)