|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom do Brock and Dirk discuss as a possible husband for Tess?
2. Who is May-may?
(a) Dirk's mistress.
(b) Dirk's wife.
(c) Brock's mistress.
(d) A Chinese pirate.
3. Who does May-may send to Macao when the epidemic begins?
(a) Her children.
(b) Mary Sinclair.
4. What is the Hung Mun Tong?
(a) The Chinese name for the opium trade.
(b) The Chinese name for Dirk.
(c) A secret Chinese society.
(d) A ship.
5. What ship did Dirk and Brock both work on as teenagers?
(a) The White Witch.
(b) The Resting Cloud.
(c) The China Cloud.
(d) The Vagrant Star.
6. How long does it take the British to recapture Canton?
(a) A year.
(b) Three months.
(c) One week.
(d) Three weeks.
7. In Dirk's dispatch to Robb, what does he instruct Robb to do in Hong Kong?
(a) Take a ship back to England.
(b) Befriend Brock.
(c) Buy as much land as possible.
(d) Murder Gorth.
8. As they are standing in the square waiting for Ti-sen to be sentenced, whom does Dirk stop from talking to the crowd?
9. Who is known as the Tai-Pan of Tai Ping Shan?
(a) Gordon Chen.
10. What do Sarah and Robb argue about before the ball?
(a) Robb's inability to return to England with Sarah.
(b) Their daughter's wedding.
(c) The baby.
11. Whose ship rams Dirk's lorcha as he leaves the settlement following the order for all foreigners to leave?
(b) Wu Kwok's.
12. What does May-may ask Dirk to do after their argument over her ball gown?
(a) Sell her.
(b) Throw her into the streets.
(c) Marry her.
(d) Allow her to marry another man.
13. Who wins the ball gown contest?
(b) Mary Sinclair.
(c) Liza Brock.
(d) Tess Brock.
14. In Chapter 3, how much time does Dirk have to save his trading company?
(a) 29 days.
(b) One week.
(c) Three months.
(d) One year.
15. Who owns the ship that takes Sarah back to England?
(a) The East India Company.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do May-may and Ah-Sam use to see Dirk on his boat during the festivities?
2. What do Dirk and Culum press Brock to grant Culum?
3. What activity will end the day of festivities?
4. Whose proposal of marriage does Mary Sinclair accept?
5. What does Zergeyev promise to send to Dirk and Longstaff?
This section contains 406 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)