|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who replaces Ah-Gip as May-may's servant?
(a) Mary Sinclair.
2. In Dirk's dispatch to Robb, what does he instruct Robb to do in Hong Kong?
(a) Take a ship back to England.
(b) Buy as much land as possible.
(c) Befriend Brock.
(d) Murder Gorth.
3. With what does Dirk bribe Chinese officials?
(b) Special privileges.
4. What is Alexi Zergeyev's title?
5. What is in the kerchief that Scragger's son gives Dirk?
(a) A letter.
(b) Gems, gold, and jewelry.
(c) A half coin.
(d) A finger.
6. Who writes a letter that angers Ti-sen?
7. According to Captain Orlov, who will have blood on his hands when he becomes tai-pan.
(b) Gordon Chen.
8. What organizations are the fighters for the prizefight from?
(a) The Army and Navy.
(b) The British Parliament and the Chinese Emperor's Court.
(c) Brock's and Straun's companies.
(d) The Noble House and the British Navy.
9. Dirk learns that the Turks opened up what empire for British trade?
(a) The Spanish Empire.
(b) The Indian Empire.
(c) The Ottoman Empire.
(d) The Japanese Empire.
10. Where do all of the traders decide to go if they are attacked by the Chinese?
(a) Brock's factory.
(b) Dirk's ship.
(c) Dirk's factory.
(d) Brock's ship.
11. What time does Dirk leave the ball to go see May-may?
(a) 6 p.m.
(b) He doesn't leave the ball.
12. Who visits Dirk in Canton in Chapter 15?
(a) Wu Fang Choi.
(d) Mary Sinclair.
13. Who is known as the Tai-Pan of Tai Ping Shan?
(a) Gordon Chen.
14. What office does Dirk plan to run for?
(c) A seat in Parliament.
(d) President of the U.S.
15. Why is Ti-sen considered a traitor to the emperor?
(a) He tried to kill the emperor.
(b) He sold information to Dirk.
(c) He is friends with the Dirk.
(d) He signed the Treaty of Chuenpi.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wins the ball gown contest?
2. As they are standing in the square waiting for Ti-sen to be sentenced, whom does Dirk stop from talking to the crowd?
3. Why do Robb and Liza leave the ball?
4. When Dirk first visits the settlement, who sends a messenger requesting to see him immediately?
5. Whose proposal of marriage does Mary Sinclair accept?
This section contains 391 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)