|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Ti-sen considered a traitor to the emperor?
(a) He tried to kill the emperor.
(b) He is friends with the Dirk.
(c) He sold information to Dirk.
(d) He signed the Treaty of Chuenpi.
2. As they are standing in the square waiting for Ti-sen to be sentenced, whom does Dirk stop from talking to the crowd?
3. In Chapter 6, what does Brock suggest that he and Dirk do?
(a) Quit trading.
(b) Join their companies.
(c) Enter the opium trade.
(d) Leave the settlement.
4. Whose proposal of marriage does Mary Sinclair accept?
5. Who is Wu Kwok's father?
(a) Wu Fang Choi.
6. Ti-sen agrees to loan Dirk money in exchange for Dirk agreeing to what being in Hong Kong?
(a) A mandarin.
(b) A pirate's headquarters.
(c) A Chinese temple of worship.
(d) The emperor.
7. If Dirk can get a monopoly in Russia, what does he believe he will be able to do?
(a) Murder Brock with no consequence.
(b) Ignore convention and marry May-may.
(c) Take over Brock's company.
(d) Marry Mary Sinclair.
8. Who instructs Gordon Chen to do whatever May-may wants?
(c) Mary Sinclair.
(d) Wu Kwok.
9. Who buys the knoll to build a church?
10. According to Robb, what must arrive in London to keep him and Dirk out of financial trouble?
(a) The Russian documents.
(b) The cinchon bark.
(c) The Blue Cloud.
(d) A load of tea.
11. Who halts all trade between the Chinese and the foreigners?
(a) The British government.
(d) The Chinese emperor.
12. What trade does Zergeyev offer Dirk as a monopoly in Russia?
(b) Cinchon bark.
13. In Dirk's dispatch to Robb, what does he instruct Robb to do in Hong Kong?
(a) Buy as much land as possible.
(b) Take a ship back to England.
(c) Murder Gorth.
(d) Befriend Brock.
14. Who is the officer on Brock's boat that wants to marry Tess?
(a) Jeff Cooper.
(c) Nygreck Thumb.
15. Why do Robb and Liza leave the ball?
(a) Liza becomes ill.
(b) Dirk orders them to leave.
(c) They leave to have a tryst.
(d) Sarah goes into labor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dirk insist Culum begin to do regularly?
2. In Chapter 3, how much time does Dirk have to save his trading company?
3. With whom does May-may want Dirk to consult about the house he is building?
4. What does May-may help Mary Sinclair to arrange?
5. What do May-may and Ah-Sam use to see Dirk on his boat during the festivities?
This section contains 435 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)