|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does May-may ask Dirk to do after their argument over her ball gown?
(a) Allow her to marry another man.
(b) Sell her.
(c) Throw her into the streets.
(d) Marry her.
2. Whose servants are secretly all a part of Hung Mun Tong?
(a) The bishop's.
3. On what does the feng shui expert say Dirk's house is built?
(a) A dragon's eyeball.
(b) A bear's back.
(c) A lion's tail.
(d) A dragon's claw.
4. Whose ship rams Dirk's lorcha as he leaves the settlement following the order for all foreigners to leave?
(c) Wu Kwok's.
5. What organizations are the fighters for the prizefight from?
(a) The Noble House and the British Navy.
(b) The British Parliament and the Chinese Emperor's Court.
(c) The Army and Navy.
(d) Brock's and Straun's companies.
6. In Chapter 3, how much time does Dirk have to save his trading company?
(a) Three months.
(b) One week.
(c) 29 days.
(d) One year.
7. After Dirk flogs May-may, what does she tell him?
(a) She is pregnant.
(b) She hates him.
(c) She still wants him to sell her.
(d) She is in love with another man.
8. Who greets Dirk while the men are unloading the barrels in Chapter 12?
(a) Mary Sinclair.
9. The Chinese call Straun and Company another name. What is it?
(c) The Noble House.
(d) The Great House.
10. What signals the beginning of the evening of festivities?
(b) A speech delivered by Dirk.
(c) A cannon shot.
11. As they are standing in the square waiting for Ti-sen to be sentenced, whom does Dirk stop from talking to the crowd?
12. What does Zergeyev promise to send to Dirk and Longstaff?
13. What kind of epidemic sweeps through Queens Town?
(b) Small pox.
(d) Black plague.
14. Ti-sen agrees to loan Dirk money in exchange for Dirk agreeing to what being in Hong Kong?
(a) A mandarin.
(b) A Chinese temple of worship.
(c) A pirate's headquarters.
(d) The emperor.
15. How long does it take the British to recapture Canton?
(a) One week.
(b) A year.
(c) Three weeks.
(d) Three months.
Short Answer Questions
1. What group is not being forced out of the settlement?
2. If Dirk can get a monopoly in Russia, what does he believe he will be able to do?
3. How many nights of sleep does Culum lose over the knoll incident?
4. What does May-may help Mary Sinclair to arrange?
5. Who does May-may send to Macao when the epidemic begins?
This section contains 436 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)