|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Dirk find lying dead in his bed?
2. Who orchestrates the run on Dirk's bank?
(b) Tyler Brock.
(d) Morgan Brock.
3. What does May-may help Mary Sinclair to arrange?
(a) Her wedding.
(b) A funeral for Gorth.
(c) A ball.
(d) An abortion.
4. With whom does Dirk set sail prior to the ball?
(a) The expeditionary force.
(c) Wu Fang Choi.
5. Who buys the knoll to build a church?
6. Who replaces Ah-Gip as May-may's servant?
(c) Mary Sinclair.
7. Whose proposal of marriage does Mary Sinclair accept?
8. When Dirk first visits the settlement, who sends a messenger requesting to see him immediately?
(a) Wu Kwok.
9. Dirk learns that the Turks opened up what empire for British trade?
(a) The Japanese Empire.
(b) The Ottoman Empire.
(c) The Indian Empire.
(d) The Spanish Empire.
10. When Dirk returns home after the ball, who is waiting for him in his living room?
(c) The bishop.
11. Why do Robb and Liza leave the ball?
(a) Dirk orders them to leave.
(b) Liza becomes ill.
(c) They leave to have a tryst.
(d) Sarah goes into labor.
12. What do Dirk and Culum press Brock to grant Culum?
(a) A position in Brock's company.
(b) A quick marriage to Tess.
(c) The rights to the knoll.
(d) Access to Brock's records.
13. In Chapter 1, who takes possession of Hong Kong?
(a) The Chinese.
(b) The British.
(c) The Germans.
(d) The Russians.
14. Who volunteers to judge the ball gown after Quance leaves?
15. What is the amount of the ransom that the British receive for Canton?
(a) 1 million pounds.
(b) 5,000 pounds.
(c) 3 million taels.
(d) 6 million taels.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Robb, what must arrive in London to keep him and Dirk out of financial trouble?
2. Who does Dirk bet on in the prizefight?
3. What ship did Dirk and Brock both work on as teenagers?
4. In what village does Dirk wait for Wu Kwok?
5. Where do all of the traders decide to go if they are attacked by the Chinese?
This section contains 372 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)