|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who volunteers to judge the ball gown after Quance leaves?
2. Who visits Dirk in Canton in Chapter 15?
(c) Wu Fang Choi.
(d) Mary Sinclair.
3. What is in the kerchief that Scragger's son gives Dirk?
(a) A half coin.
(b) A letter.
(c) Gems, gold, and jewelry.
(d) A finger.
4. Who is known as the Tai-Pan of Tai Ping Shan?
(d) Gordon Chen.
5. Whose ship rams Dirk's lorcha as he leaves the settlement following the order for all foreigners to leave?
(b) Wu Kwok's.
6. What does Robb say Dirk and Brock's hatred will do to them in the end?
(a) Destroy them.
(b) Leave one and kill the other.
(c) Bring them closer.
(d) Make them stronger.
7. What is the Hung Mun Tong?
(a) A secret Chinese society.
(b) The Chinese name for the opium trade.
(c) A ship.
(d) The Chinese name for Dirk.
8. Who is Wu Kwok's father?
(b) Wu Fang Choi.
9. What kind of a ship do Dirk and Culum see from the mountain?
(a) A lorcha.
(b) A clipper ship.
(c) A steam-powered battleship.
(d) A pirate ship.
10. As they are standing in the square waiting for Ti-sen to be sentenced, whom does Dirk stop from talking to the crowd?
11. What activity will end the day of festivities?
(a) The ball.
(b) Culum and Tess's wedding.
(c) The sale of Hong Kong.
(d) Dirk and May-may's wedding.
12. According to Robb, what must arrive in London to keep him and Dirk out of financial trouble?
(a) The cinchon bark.
(b) The Russian documents.
(c) The Blue Cloud.
(d) A load of tea.
13. Who does Dirk say is responsible for repaying Jin-qua's loan?
(d) The Noble House.
14. In Chapter 4, who is Dirk waiting to see in Canton?
15. What possessions of Aristotle's does Maureen Quance destroy?
(a) His clothing.
(b) His paints and brushes.
(c) His furniture.
(d) His bottles of alcohol.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Longstaff tired of Hong Kong?
2. Whose proposal of marriage does Mary Sinclair accept?
3. What does May-may ask Dirk to do after their argument over her ball gown?
4. How many nights of sleep does Culum lose over the knoll incident?
5. With what does Dirk bribe Chinese officials?
This section contains 407 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)