|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Dirk say did not cheat him but rather outsmarted him?
(d) Wu Kwok.
2. How long is the indenture agreement for the men who arrive with Captain Scragger?
(a) Ten years.
(b) Five years.
(c) One year.
(d) Six months.
3. In what village does Dirk wait for Wu Kwok?
(d) Happy Valley.
4. The emperor offers Wu Fang Choi mandarinates if he attacks what?
(a) The Russian archduke.
(c) Hong Kong harbor.
(d) Dirk's fleet.
5. Who does Dirk say is responsible for repaying Jin-qua's loan?
(d) The Noble House.
6. According to Captain Scragger, when will Wu Kwok be in Quemony?
(a) New Year's Day.
(c) Midsummer's Night.
(d) Boxing Day.
7. In Dirk's dispatch to Robb, what does he instruct Robb to do in Hong Kong?
(a) Buy as much land as possible.
(b) Befriend Brock.
(c) Take a ship back to England.
(d) Murder Gorth.
8. Who does Dirk find lying dead in his bed?
9. In Chapter 3, how much time does Dirk have to save his trading company?
(a) Three months.
(b) One week.
(c) 29 days.
(d) One year.
10. What kind of epidemic sweeps through Queens Town?
(a) Black plague.
(d) Small pox.
11. Who replaces Ah-Gip as May-may's servant?
(d) Mary Sinclair.
12. With whom does May-may want Dirk to consult about the house he is building?
(a) An architect.
(b) A feng shui expert.
(c) A priest.
(d) Mary Sinclair.
13. With what does Dirk bribe Chinese officials?
(b) Special privileges.
14. In Chapter 6, what does Brock suggest that he and Dirk do?
(a) Quit trading.
(b) Join their companies.
(c) Enter the opium trade.
(d) Leave the settlement.
15. What is the amount of the ransom that the British receive for Canton?
(a) 3 million taels.
(b) 1 million pounds.
(c) 6 million taels.
(d) 5,000 pounds.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is May-may?
2. What does Wu Kwok give Dirk from the Scarlet Cloud?
3. What is Alexi Zergeyev's title?
4. The Chinese call Straun and Company another name. What is it?
5. Why is Longstaff tired of Hong Kong?
This section contains 368 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)