|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 13, what does Liza tell Brock is her reason for sailing to Macao?
(a) To purchase furniture.
(b) To take another ship back to England.
(c) To order gowns for the ball.
(d) To arrange a marriage for Tess.
2. Who visits Dirk in Canton in Chapter 15?
(a) Mary Sinclair.
(c) Wu Fang Choi.
3. When Dirk returns home after the ball, who is waiting for him in his living room?
(d) The bishop.
4. If Dirk can get a monopoly in Russia, what does he believe he will be able to do?
(a) Marry Mary Sinclair.
(b) Ignore convention and marry May-may.
(c) Murder Brock with no consequence.
(d) Take over Brock's company.
5. What is the amount of the ransom that the British receive for Canton?
(a) 6 million taels.
(b) 1 million pounds.
(c) 5,000 pounds.
(d) 3 million taels.
6. According to Robb, what must arrive in London to keep him and Dirk out of financial trouble?
(a) The Blue Cloud.
(b) The cinchon bark.
(c) A load of tea.
(d) The Russian documents.
7. Why is Ti-sen considered a traitor to the emperor?
(a) He tried to kill the emperor.
(b) He signed the Treaty of Chuenpi.
(c) He is friends with the Dirk.
(d) He sold information to Dirk.
8. Who does Dirk bet on in the prizefight?
(c) The Army.
(d) The Navy.
9. Who orchestrates the run on Dirk's bank?
(c) Morgan Brock.
(d) Tyler Brock.
10. Who wins the ball gown contest?
(a) Liza Brock.
(b) Tess Brock.
(d) Mary Sinclair.
11. Ti-sen agrees to loan Dirk money in exchange for Dirk agreeing to what being in Hong Kong?
(a) A Chinese temple of worship.
(b) A pirate's headquarters.
(c) A mandarin.
(d) The emperor.
12. Where does Dirk tell Robb and Culum The Noble House is to be permanently headquartered?
(c) Happy Valley.
(d) Hong Kong.
13. What is the Hung Mun Tong?
(a) A secret Chinese society.
(b) A ship.
(c) The Chinese name for Dirk.
(d) The Chinese name for the opium trade.
14. With what does Dirk bribe Chinese officials?
(b) Special privileges.
15. In Dirk's dispatch to Robb, what does he instruct Robb to do in Hong Kong?
(a) Murder Gorth.
(b) Buy as much land as possible.
(c) Befriend Brock.
(d) Take a ship back to England.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the British plan to attack in Chapter 27?
2. What happens to Dirk as he is traveling back to the settlement in a sedan chair?
3. With whom does May-may want Dirk to consult about the house he is building?
4. Who does May-may send to Macao when the epidemic begins?
5. Who replaces Ah-Gip as May-may's servant?
This section contains 442 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)