|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who owns the ship that takes Sarah back to England?
(a) The East India Company.
2. What does Wu Kwok give Dirk from the Scarlet Cloud?
(a) A chest of gold.
(b) The flag and log book.
(c) The anchor.
3. What is Ti-sen wearing when he is brought into the square?
(c) A kimono.
(d) A blindfold.
4. When does Dirk leave May-may's room on the night of the ball?
(a) While she is still crying.
(b) When she orders him out.
(c) He does not leave that night.
(d) After she falls asleep.
5. Who is kept busy painting portraits of Robb's children?
(a) Aristotle Quance.
(b) Maureen Quance.
(c) Liza Brock.
(d) Mary Sinclair.
6. What is Brock's ship called?
(a) The Scarlet Cloud.
(b) The Resting Cloud.
(c) The Black Witch.
(d) The White Witch.
7. What organizations are the fighters for the prizefight from?
(a) Brock's and Straun's companies.
(b) The Noble House and the British Navy.
(c) The Army and Navy.
(d) The British Parliament and the Chinese Emperor's Court.
8. What group is not being forced out of the settlement?
(a) The British.
(b) The Germans.
(c) The Russians.
(d) The Americans.
9. What office does Dirk plan to run for?
(b) A seat in Parliament.
(c) President of the U.S.
10. Who is May-may?
(a) Brock's mistress.
(b) Dirk's mistress.
(c) Dirk's wife.
(d) A Chinese pirate.
11. Who is known as the Tai-Pan of Tai Ping Shan?
(d) Gordon Chen.
12. What does Dirk do to get into May-may's quarters after the two argue over her ball gown?
(a) He knocks and waits for her to answer.
(b) He climbs through the window.
(c) He breaks down the door.
(d) She leaves the door open.
13. What possessions of Aristotle's does Maureen Quance destroy?
(a) His clothing.
(b) His paints and brushes.
(c) His furniture.
(d) His bottles of alcohol.
14. Who does Dirk bet on in the prizefight?
(b) The Army.
(c) The Navy.
15. What is the amount of the ransom that the British receive for Canton?
(a) 6 million taels.
(b) 1 million pounds.
(c) 5,000 pounds.
(d) 3 million taels.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Dirk returns home after the ball, who is waiting for him in his living room?
2. With what does Dirk bribe Chinese officials?
3. Who does Dirk say is responsible for repaying Jin-qua's loan?
4. Who buys the knoll to build a church?
5. According to Captain Scragger, when will Wu Kwok be in Quemony?
This section contains 392 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)