|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who owns the ship that takes Sarah back to England?
(d) The East India Company.
2. According to Captain Orlov, who will have blood on his hands when he becomes tai-pan.
(b) Gordon Chen.
3. Who writes a letter that angers Ti-sen?
4. According to Robb, what must arrive in London to keep him and Dirk out of financial trouble?
(a) The Blue Cloud.
(b) The cinchon bark.
(c) The Russian documents.
(d) A load of tea.
5. What signals the beginning of the evening of festivities?
(a) A cannon shot.
(d) A speech delivered by Dirk.
6. When Dirk returns home after the ball, who is waiting for him in his living room?
(a) The bishop.
7. How long does it take the British to recapture Canton?
(a) One week.
(b) Three months.
(c) Three weeks.
(d) A year.
8. What does Robb say Dirk and Brock's hatred will do to them in the end?
(a) Leave one and kill the other.
(b) Make them stronger.
(c) Destroy them.
(d) Bring them closer.
9. After Dirk flogs May-may, what does she tell him?
(a) She hates him.
(b) She is pregnant.
(c) She is in love with another man.
(d) She still wants him to sell her.
10. What organizations are the fighters for the prizefight from?
(a) The British Parliament and the Chinese Emperor's Court.
(b) Brock's and Straun's companies.
(c) The Noble House and the British Navy.
(d) The Army and Navy.
11. Who does Dirk find lying dead in his bed?
12. Who does the clerk tell Brock and Dirk has disappeared in Chapter 26?
(c) The servants.
(d) Mary Sinclair.
13. Who is kept busy painting portraits of Robb's children?
(a) Liza Brock.
(b) Aristotle Quance.
(c) Maureen Quance.
(d) Mary Sinclair.
14. With what does Dirk bribe Chinese officials?
(d) Special privileges.
15. Who volunteers to judge the ball gown after Quance leaves?
Short Answer Questions
1. What office does Dirk plan to run for?
2. Who halts all trade between the Chinese and the foreigners?
3. In Dirk's dispatch to Robb, what does he instruct Robb to do in Hong Kong?
4. Who wins the ball gown contest?
5. Who visits Dirk in Canton in Chapter 15?
This section contains 395 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)