|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of epidemic sweeps through Queens Town?
(b) Small pox.
(c) Black plague.
2. What does Zergeyev promise to send to Dirk and Longstaff?
3. What does Dirk do to get into May-may's quarters after the two argue over her ball gown?
(a) He knocks and waits for her to answer.
(b) He climbs through the window.
(c) She leaves the door open.
(d) He breaks down the door.
4. What is Brock's ship called?
(a) The Black Witch.
(b) The White Witch.
(c) The Scarlet Cloud.
(d) The Resting Cloud.
5. What do Dirk and Culum press Brock to grant Culum?
(a) Access to Brock's records.
(b) A position in Brock's company.
(c) The rights to the knoll.
(d) A quick marriage to Tess.
6. The Chinese call Straun and Company another name. What is it?
(a) The Great House.
(d) The Noble House.
7. In Chapter 13, what does Liza tell Brock is her reason for sailing to Macao?
(a) To take another ship back to England.
(b) To arrange a marriage for Tess.
(c) To purchase furniture.
(d) To order gowns for the ball.
8. Who does May-may send to Macao when the epidemic begins?
(a) Mary Sinclair.
(b) Her children.
9. Whom do Brock and Dirk discuss as a possible husband for Tess?
10. Who does the clerk tell Brock and Dirk has disappeared in Chapter 26?
(c) The servants.
(d) Mary Sinclair.
11. What is the Hung Mun Tong?
(a) The Chinese name for the opium trade.
(b) A ship.
(c) A secret Chinese society.
(d) The Chinese name for Dirk.
12. What is in the kerchief that Scragger's son gives Dirk?
(a) A finger.
(b) Gems, gold, and jewelry.
(c) A letter.
(d) A half coin.
13. Who volunteers to judge the ball gown after Quance leaves?
14. What is Ti-sen wearing when he is brought into the square?
(b) A kimono.
(d) A blindfold.
15. Who is kept busy painting portraits of Robb's children?
(a) Liza Brock.
(b) Aristotle Quance.
(c) Mary Sinclair.
(d) Maureen Quance.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is known as the Tai-Pan of Tai Ping Shan?
2. Who does Dirk say is responsible for repaying Jin-qua's loan?
3. Dirk learns that the Turks opened up what empire for British trade?
4. Ti-sen agrees to loan Dirk money in exchange for Dirk agreeing to what being in Hong Kong?
5. What does Robb say Dirk and Brock's hatred will do to them in the end?
This section contains 425 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)