|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What signals the beginning of the evening of festivities?
(b) A speech delivered by Dirk.
(c) A cannon shot.
2. In Dirk's dispatch to Robb, what does he instruct Robb to do in Hong Kong?
(a) Buy as much land as possible.
(b) Take a ship back to England.
(c) Murder Gorth.
(d) Befriend Brock.
3. Who owns the ship that takes Sarah back to England?
(a) The East India Company.
4. The Chinese call Straun and Company another name. What is it?
(a) The Great House.
(b) The Noble House.
5. What trade does Zergeyev offer Dirk as a monopoly in Russia?
(b) Cinchon bark.
6. In Chapter 3, how much time does Dirk have to save his trading company?
(a) Three months.
(b) One week.
(c) One year.
(d) 29 days.
7. Who does the clerk tell Brock and Dirk has disappeared in Chapter 26?
(c) The servants.
(d) Mary Sinclair.
8. What activity will end the day of festivities?
(a) Dirk and May-may's wedding.
(b) The sale of Hong Kong.
(c) Culum and Tess's wedding.
(d) The ball.
9. Who replaces Ah-Gip as May-may's servant?
(c) Mary Sinclair.
10. What is the Hung Mun Tong?
(a) A secret Chinese society.
(b) The Chinese name for Dirk.
(c) A ship.
(d) The Chinese name for the opium trade.
11. What office does Dirk plan to run for?
(c) A seat in Parliament.
(d) President of the U.S.
12. Who halts all trade between the Chinese and the foreigners?
(a) The British government.
(c) The Chinese emperor.
13. What is the amount of the ransom that the British receive for Canton?
(a) 5,000 pounds.
(b) 3 million taels.
(c) 1 million pounds.
(d) 6 million taels.
14. Who writes a letter that angers Ti-sen?
15. Who does May-may tell Gordon Chen she wants killed in Macao?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Dirk tell Robb and Culum The Noble House is to be permanently headquartered?
2. In Chapter 4, who is Dirk waiting to see in Canton?
3. Who does May-may send to Macao when the epidemic begins?
4. According to Robb, what must arrive in London to keep him and Dirk out of financial trouble?
5. Who is Wu Kwok's father?
This section contains 373 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)