|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who owns the ship that takes Sarah back to England?
(b) The East India Company.
2. The emperor offers Wu Fang Choi mandarinates if he attacks what?
(b) Dirk's fleet.
(c) The Russian archduke.
(d) Hong Kong harbor.
3. After Dirk flogs May-may, what does she tell him?
(a) She still wants him to sell her.
(b) She is pregnant.
(c) She is in love with another man.
(d) She hates him.
4. Who does Dirk find lying dead in his bed?
5. Which European woman is pregnant with a Chinese child?
(a) Tess Brock.
(b) Mary Sinclair.
(d) Liza Brock.
6. According to Captain Scragger, when will Wu Kwok be in Quemony?
(b) New Year's Day.
(c) Midsummer's Night.
(d) Boxing Day.
7. What activity will end the day of festivities?
(a) Dirk and May-may's wedding.
(b) Culum and Tess's wedding.
(c) The ball.
(d) The sale of Hong Kong.
8. What is Brock's ship called?
(a) The Black Witch.
(b) The White Witch.
(c) The Scarlet Cloud.
(d) The Resting Cloud.
9. Who writes a letter that angers Ti-sen?
10. Who halts all trade between the Chinese and the foreigners?
(b) The Chinese emperor.
(d) The British government.
11. What do May-may and Ah-Sam use to see Dirk on his boat during the festivities?
(a) Their eyes.
(c) A telescope.
12. Who is May-may?
(a) Dirk's mistress.
(b) A Chinese pirate.
(c) Dirk's wife.
(d) Brock's mistress.
13. In Chapter 13, what does Liza tell Brock is her reason for sailing to Macao?
(a) To purchase furniture.
(b) To take another ship back to England.
(c) To order gowns for the ball.
(d) To arrange a marriage for Tess.
14. Why do Robb and Liza leave the ball?
(a) They leave to have a tryst.
(b) Liza becomes ill.
(c) Dirk orders them to leave.
(d) Sarah goes into labor.
15. What does Dirk do to get into May-may's quarters after the two argue over her ball gown?
(a) He knocks and waits for her to answer.
(b) He climbs through the window.
(c) She leaves the door open.
(d) He breaks down the door.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 6, what does Brock suggest that he and Dirk do?
2. Who volunteers to judge the ball gown after Quance leaves?
3. Whose proposal of marriage does Mary Sinclair accept?
4. What group is not being forced out of the settlement?
5. Who greets Dirk while the men are unloading the barrels in Chapter 12?
This section contains 402 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)