|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 4, who is Dirk waiting to see in Canton?
2. What is Alexi Zergeyev's title?
3. Who greets Dirk while the men are unloading the barrels in Chapter 12?
(a) Mary Sinclair.
4. In Chapter 3, how much time does Dirk have to save his trading company?
(a) One year.
(b) One week.
(c) 29 days.
(d) Three months.
5. What signals the beginning of the evening of festivities?
(a) A speech delivered by Dirk.
(c) A cannon shot.
6. Who is Wu Kwok's father?
(c) Wu Fang Choi.
7. Why is Longstaff tired of Hong Kong?
(a) He doesn't like the whorehouses.
(b) There are too many problems.
(c) There are too many traders there.
(d) He would rather go home to England.
8. Whose servants are secretly all a part of Hung Mun Tong?
(d) The bishop's.
9. What is Brock's ship called?
(a) The Resting Cloud.
(b) The White Witch.
(c) The Black Witch.
(d) The Scarlet Cloud.
10. In Chapter 13, what does Liza tell Brock is her reason for sailing to Macao?
(a) To purchase furniture.
(b) To take another ship back to England.
(c) To order gowns for the ball.
(d) To arrange a marriage for Tess.
11. In what village does Dirk wait for Wu Kwok?
(b) Happy Valley.
12. Who volunteers to judge the ball gown after Quance leaves?
13. Whose proposal of marriage does Mary Sinclair accept?
14. What do Sarah and Robb argue about before the ball?
(a) Their daughter's wedding.
(b) Robb's inability to return to England with Sarah.
(c) The baby.
15. Who is May-may?
(a) Dirk's wife.
(b) A Chinese pirate.
(c) Dirk's mistress.
(d) Brock's mistress.
Short Answer Questions
1. What trade does Zergeyev offer Dirk as a monopoly in Russia?
2. Who does the clerk tell Brock and Dirk has disappeared in Chapter 26?
3. Where does Dirk tell Robb and Culum The Noble House is to be permanently headquartered?
4. Who buys the knoll to build a church?
5. With whom does Dirk set sail prior to the ball?
This section contains 350 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)