|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does John demand not to be taken to the hospital in Chapter 11?
2. Why is Carl not with Taft when he dies in Chapter 12?
3. Which of the following is in Carl's pocket when John interrogates him in Chapter 8?
4. What does John tell Teddy to do in Chapter 11 after the bar closes?
5. What does Carl demand of John after he breaks into Muddy's in Chapter 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does John go to recuperate in Chapter 12?
2. What happens at dinner in Chapter 7.
3. How does Carl explain his arrest in Chapter 9?
4. What is John's catharsis at the end of Taft?
5. Why is Taft shaken by the site of Carl's accident in Chapter 10?
6. What confrontation do John and Carl have in Chapter 8?
7. How do Carl and John bond in Chapter 7?
8. How does Marion's friend, the doctor, help John in Chapter 11?
9. What does Fay ask John at dinner in Chapter 9?
10. How is John shot in Chapter 11?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Over the course of the novel, Carl Taft appears to be a dangerous and dynamic character. The reader experiences him at many points in his life. Write a three-part essay about the trajectory Carl Taft takes over the course of the novel:
Part 1) What is Carl's life like before his father dies? Discuss what he values in life and what challenges he faces. What does his father do to keep him in line? What mistakes does he make in his adolescent years?
Part 2) Discuss the significance of Taft's death in Carl's life. How is his experience of this tragedy different from his sister's and mother's? What makes it more painful for him, and what significant collapse occurs in his character before he leaves Coalfield?
Part 3) How does the world of Memphis prove horribly detrimental to Carl's life? Discuss how bad habits and addiction become near-suicidal in the larger city? What is Carl's low point and how is he partially redeemed by the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the character of Fay Taft and how she is portrayed in the novel. To what extent if Fay an enigmatic character? How do both John and her father struggle to understand her and what she wants in her life? What fears do other characters have for her? In the end, is Fay a strong or a weak individual? What challenges and conflicts does Patchett use to reveal her essential character in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the narrative structure of "Taft" in an essay. What two narratives comprise the story of the novel? How does Patchett interweave the two plotlines? To what extent does the reader already know the outcome of one of these plots? Discuss the ways the author is able to comment on over narrative with the other? What thematic elements does each share?
This section contains 1,166 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)