|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Carl doing when John asks him to help with the deck in Chapter 12?
2. What does Carl demand of John after he breaks into Muddy's in Chapter 11?
3. What is Tommy Lawson's son selling when he knocks on Taft's door in Chapter 10?
4. Who does the officer in the jail insist must bail out Carl in Chapter 9?
5. What does Mrs. Woodmore ask John to do regarding Fay in Chapter 12?
Essay Topic 1
Romance in the novel is both a powerful force between characters and also one that is overcome by other types of love. Write an essay about the way romance is portrayed in "Taft". How does John Nickel fall in love with women in different and abandoned way? How do these romances fall apart? Discuss the motivations John has to leave the women that win his heart. What is more important to him in life?
Essay Topic 2
"Taft" is a story of two fathers: Levon Taft and John Nickel. Compare these two protagonists in an essay. What flaws does each father have? How does the author make clear to the reader that both Taft and John are, at heart, good men? Which struggles do the men share, and what problems are unique to each? Discuss the way each man's arc is a commentary on the other.
Essay Topic 3
The narratives of "Taft" take place in two towns: Memphis and Coalfield. In an essay, compare the way that these two towns are portrayed in the novel. What abstract ideas and movements are represented by the towns? How does Patchett forge a tone in the novel for each of these settings? Discuss the characters that come from each town. How are their objectives and values similar and different? Do they come into conflict?
This section contains 2,166 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)