|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 7, why does John think the crowd is larger than normal?
2. What does John assure Ruth of regarding Marion in the beginning of Chapter 9?
3. What does Taft give Tommy Lawson's boy to cool him off?
4. Where does Carl call Muddy's from in Chapter 9?
5. Why is Wallace surprised by in Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does John go to recuperate in Chapter 12?
2. Describe John and Fay's interaction in Chapter 7.
3. What does Mrs. Woodmore request of John in Chapter 12?
4. Why does Taft ask his children to stay home Friday night?
5. What happens at dinner in Chapter 7.
6. How does Taft die in Chapter 12?
7. Describe Taft's interaction with Tommy Lawson's son in Chapter 10?
8. What does Fay ask John at dinner in Chapter 9?
9. How is John shot in Chapter 11?
10. What does Wallace tell John about Carl in Chapter 8?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about the tenuous relationship between John and Marion in the novel. How did they discover each other, and what was the root of their infatuation? Discuss how the birth of Franklin forever changes the nature of this relationship? Throughout the plot of the novel, what do Marion and John want from each other and what obstacles prevent their relationship from flourishing or forever fading away?
Essay Topic 2
The narratives of "Taft" take place in two towns: Memphis and Coalfield. In an essay, compare the way that these two towns are portrayed in the novel. What abstract ideas and movements are represented by the towns? How does Patchett forge a tone in the novel for each of these settings? Discuss the characters that come from each town. How are their objectives and values similar and different? Do they come into conflict?
Essay Topic 3
Romance in the novel is both a powerful force between characters and also one that is overcome by other types of love. Write an essay about the way romance is portrayed in "Taft". How does John Nickel fall in love with women in different and abandoned way? How do these romances fall apart? Discuss the motivations John has to leave the women that win his heart. What is more important to him in life?
This section contains 1,008 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)