|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What advise from Virginia regarding the car repair does Taft refuse in Chapter 10?
2. Why do Mr. and Mrs. Woodmoore keep quiet in the house after the wounded John arrives in Chapter 11?
3. In Chapter 10, Taft gives Tommy Lawson's son tips on what?
4. In Chapter 8, Wallace reveal Carl to be what?
5. Why is Carl not with Taft when he dies in Chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Carl explain his arrest in Chapter 9?
2. How does Marion's friend, the doctor, help John in Chapter 11?
3. What does Fay ask John at dinner in Chapter 9?
4. How do Ruth, Fay and Cyndi gang up on John at the beginning of Chapter 9?
5. Describe Taft's interaction with Tommy Lawson's son in Chapter 10?
6. What is John's catharsis at the end of Taft?
7. When does Fay surprise Taft in Chapter 10?
8. What do John and Franklin do together at the end of Chapter 8?
9. How is John shot in Chapter 11?
10. Why is John deeply gladdened by his morning with Marion and Franklin in Chapter 11?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Romance in the novel is both a powerful force between characters and also one that is overcome by other types of love. Write an essay about the way romance is portrayed in "Taft". How does John Nickel fall in love with women in different and abandoned way? How do these romances fall apart? Discuss the motivations John has to leave the women that win his heart. What is more important to him in life?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the dark worldview that exists in the novel. Citing specific examples from the text, discuss in what respect the world of Taft is dangerous, particularly to children. How are the innocent in danger throughout the novel, and what misfortunes befall them? Focusing on Fay and Carl Taft, chart the way naïve figures face the world's challenges. How do these experiences reflect on the prospect of Franklin growing up without a father?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about Levon Taft, and how he is largely a creation of John Nickel's imagination. Why would John Nickel become fixated on Taft? How does he become aware of Taft's existence and death? Discuss the origin of the information in the Taft narrative: his first name, his car, and his various jobs. When would John have heard about these details? Discuss how the final chapter involves John's complete immersion in a Taft construction.
This section contains 1,185 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)