|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 8, What does Fay pointedly ask John?
2. Why can John not sleep in his bed in Chapter 7?
3. How much does the mechanic quote Taft for the damage in the beginning of Chapter 10?
4. How old is Carl in the final passage of Taft?
5. In Chapter 7, why does John think the crowd is larger than normal?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Carl explain his arrest in Chapter 9?
2. When does Fay surprise Taft in Chapter 10?
3. Where does John go to recuperate in Chapter 12?
4. What is John's catharsis at the end of Taft?
5. What does Mrs. Woodmore request of John in Chapter 12?
6. Why is Taft shaken by the site of Carl's accident in Chapter 10?
7. Describe Taft's interaction with Tommy Lawson's son in Chapter 10?
8. How does John anger Ruth at the beginning of Chapter 7?
9. How do Carl and John bond in Chapter 7?
10. Describe John and Fay's interaction in Chapter 7.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Romance in the novel is both a powerful force between characters and also one that is overcome by other types of love. Write an essay about the way romance is portrayed in "Taft". How does John Nickel fall in love with women in different and abandoned way? How do these romances fall apart? Discuss the motivations John has to leave the women that win his heart. What is more important to him in life?
Essay Topic 2
The world of "Taft" is - for much of the novel - the world of Muddy's, the bar John Nickel runs. This microcosm of Memphis is created by the individuals that populate it. Write an essay about three characters that populate Muddy's. How would you describe each character? What role does each play in the plot? Is this a sympathetic individual? What does this character add to the setting of the novel?
Part 1) Rose
Part 2) Cyndi
Part 3) Wallace
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the character of Fay Taft and how she is portrayed in the novel. To what extent if Fay an enigmatic character? How do both John and her father struggle to understand her and what she wants in her life? What fears do other characters have for her? In the end, is Fay a strong or a weak individual? What challenges and conflicts does Patchett use to reveal her essential character in the novel?
This section contains 1,067 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)