|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What injury did Tommy Lawson suffer at work?
2. What does John always bring with him to dinner with the Woodmoores?
3. While giving Fay a tour of the bar in Chapter 2, John marvels what about Tennessee?
4. What makes Taft uncomfortable about Memphis in Chapter 6?
5. How old was Marion when she met John?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Levon Taft dislike his in-laws?
2. What difficulty do John and Fay face in bailing Carl out in Chapter?
3. Who does Fay introduce John to Chapter 2?
4. What call does John Nickel make at work in Chapter 2?
5. Where does John go to recuperate in Chapter 12?
6. What do John and Fay do at the battlefield in Chapter 4?
7. What is John's catharsis at the end of Taft?
8. How does Taft die in Chapter 12?
9. Describe the frantic call that John gets at the end of the Chapter 1?
10. What happens at dinner in Chapter 7.
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of innocence and experience in the novel, focusing on the characters of Fay and Carl Taft. How are the characters unaware of danger and vice before the death of their father? What silly and foolish mistakes do they make before this tragedy? How do these follies transform into dangerous and destructive activities after Taft's death? Why do these children become less heedful of their own safety after they lose a parent?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the dark worldview that exists in the novel. Citing specific examples from the text, discuss in what respect the world of Taft is dangerous, particularly to children. How are the innocent in danger throughout the novel, and what misfortunes befall them? Focusing on Fay and Carl Taft, chart the way naïve figures face the world's challenges. How do these experiences reflect on the prospect of Franklin growing up without a father?
Essay Topic 3
Romance in the novel is both a powerful force between characters and also one that is overcome by other types of love. Write an essay about the way romance is portrayed in "Taft". How does John Nickel fall in love with women in different and abandoned way? How do these romances fall apart? Discuss the motivations John has to leave the women that win his heart. What is more important to him in life?
This section contains 2,898 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)