Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What injury did Tommy Lawson suffer at work?
2. What does John always bring with him to dinner with the Woodmoores?
3. While giving Fay a tour of the bar in Chapter 2, John marvels what about Tennessee?
4. What makes Taft uncomfortable about Memphis in Chapter 6?
5. How old was Marion when she met John?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Levon Taft dislike his in-laws?
2. What difficulty do John and Fay face in bailing Carl out in Chapter?
3. Who does Fay introduce John to Chapter 2?
4. What call does John Nickel make at work in Chapter 2?
5. Where does John go to recuperate in Chapter 12?
6. What do John and Fay do at the battlefield in Chapter 4?
7. What is John's catharsis at the end of Taft?
8. How does Taft die in Chapter 12?
9. Describe the frantic call that John gets at the end of the Chapter 1?
10. What happens at dinner in Chapter 7.
Essay Topic 1
Over the course of the novel, Carl Taft appears to be a dangerous and dynamic character. The reader experiences him at many points in his life. Write a three-part essay about the trajectory Carl Taft takes over the course of the novel:
Part 1) What is Carl's life like before his father dies? Discuss what he values in life and what challenges he faces. What does his father do to keep him in line? What mistakes does he make in his adolescent years?
Part 2) Discuss the significance of Taft's death in Carl's life. How is his experience of this tragedy different from his sister's and mother's? What makes it more painful for him, and what significant collapse occurs in his character before he leaves Coalfield?
Part 3) How does the world of Memphis prove horribly detrimental to Carl's life? Discuss how bad habits and addiction become near-suicidal in the larger city? What is Carl's low point and how is he partially redeemed by the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about Levon Taft, and how he is largely a creation of John Nickel's imagination. Why would John Nickel become fixated on Taft? How does he become aware of Taft's existence and death? Discuss the origin of the information in the Taft narrative: his first name, his car, and his various jobs. When would John have heard about these details? Discuss how the final chapter involves John's complete immersion in a Taft construction.
Essay Topic 3
The world of "Taft" is - for much of the novel - the world of Muddy's, the bar John Nickel runs. This microcosm of Memphis is created by the individuals that populate it. Write an essay about three characters that populate Muddy's. How would you describe each character? What role does each play in the plot? Is this a sympathetic individual? What does this character add to the setting of the novel?
Part 1) Rose
Part 2) Cyndi
Part 3) Wallace
This section contains 1,174 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)