Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What injury did Tommy Lawson suffer at work?
2. What does John always bring with him to dinner with the Woodmoores?
3. While giving Fay a tour of the bar in Chapter 2, John marvels what about Tennessee?
4. What makes Taft uncomfortable about Memphis in Chapter 6?
5. How old was Marion when she met John?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Levon Taft dislike his in-laws?
2. What difficulty do John and Fay face in bailing Carl out in Chapter?
3. Who does Fay introduce John to Chapter 2?
4. What call does John Nickel make at work in Chapter 2?
5. Where does John go to recuperate in Chapter 12?
6. What do John and Fay do at the battlefield in Chapter 4?
7. What is John's catharsis at the end of Taft?
8. How does Taft die in Chapter 12?
9. Describe the frantic call that John gets at the end of the Chapter 1?
10. What happens at dinner in Chapter 7.
Essay Topic 1
The novel of "Taft" is about two fathers and the children they fear losing. Each of the central figures is concerned that he is the only thing standing between his child and the dark, vicious world around them. Write a three-part essay about the children of these fathers and how losing a paternal figure affects them:
Part 1) Discuss the concerns that Levon Taft has for Fay. What does he worry Fay is not prepared for in the wide world? What plans does he make in his final days to bring her closer? What does Fay do after Taft's death to attempt to hold the family together? How does she crumble in the wake of the tragedy?
Part 2) Compare Carl's collapse after Taft's death to Fay's. How did her experience this tragedy differently? How was he already unpredictable? Discuss the depths to which Carl falls after his father's death, and where it ends?
Part 3) How does Franklin's life change after he is taken away from his father? How does John fear his son is in danger? Discuss the ways in which Franklin and John fear separation and fight to reunite through the novel.
Essay Topic 2
"Taft" is a story of two fathers: Levon Taft and John Nickel. Compare these two protagonists in an essay. What flaws does each father have? How does the author make clear to the reader that both Taft and John are, at heart, good men? Which struggles do the men share, and what problems are unique to each? Discuss the way each man's arc is a commentary on the other.
Essay Topic 3
John Nickel is a deeply sympathetic character, but his self-destructive tendencies come into view whenever he becomes sexually entangled with a woman. Write an essay about three such of these entanglements. How does each begin and how does each develop? What personal weaknesses do these trysts reveal in John? What mental anguish do they unearth? Does John overcome this anguish by the end of the novel? If so, how?
Part 1) Marion
Part 2) Ruth
Part 3) Fay
This section contains 1,191 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)