Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What injury did Tommy Lawson suffer at work?
2. What does John always bring with him to dinner with the Woodmoores?
3. While giving Fay a tour of the bar in Chapter 2, John marvels what about Tennessee?
4. What makes Taft uncomfortable about Memphis in Chapter 6?
5. How old was Marion when she met John?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Levon Taft dislike his in-laws?
2. What difficulty do John and Fay face in bailing Carl out in Chapter?
3. Who does Fay introduce John to Chapter 2?
4. What call does John Nickel make at work in Chapter 2?
5. Where does John go to recuperate in Chapter 12?
6. What do John and Fay do at the battlefield in Chapter 4?
7. What is John's catharsis at the end of Taft?
8. How does Taft die in Chapter 12?
9. Describe the frantic call that John gets at the end of the Chapter 1?
10. What happens at dinner in Chapter 7.
Essay Topic 1
One of the central plotlines of the novel is the relationship between John Nickel and John Taft. This relationship is odd in that it does not abandon itself to the sexual tension around it. Write a three-part essay, analyzing this relationship:
Part 1) What is John Nickel's initial impression of Fay Taft, and why does he decide to bring her on to staff at Muddy's? Discuss how the relationship between Fay and John develops in the first weeks. How does it shift on the night that Carl overdoses?
Part 2) Discuss how John and Fay's impromptu trip to Shiloh helps develop the relationship between them. Why do they go? What is each character looking for from the other in these passages? What act of tenderness occurs at the end of the night?
Part 3) How does the relationship between John and Fay become a romantic relationship? What events help catalyze this shift? What kind of reaction does this receive from those around them, and how does the romantic entanglement effectively end?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the tenuous relationship between John and Marion in the novel. How did they discover each other, and what was the root of their infatuation? Discuss how the birth of Franklin forever changes the nature of this relationship? Throughout the plot of the novel, what do Marion and John want from each other and what obstacles prevent their relationship from flourishing or forever fading away?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about Patchett's portrayal of the modern Deep South in the novel. What is left of the specter of Jim Crow in the South? How do the remnants of segregation and racism manifest themselves in the narrative? Discuss how this nascent bigotry affects the character of John Nickel. Why does it make him more reticent to connect with Fay Taft? Is the city really as racist as he believes?
This section contains 1,162 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)