|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why can John not sleep in his bed in Chapter 7?
(a) He has no air conditioning.
(b) It is lumpy.
(c) It smells like Ruth.
(d) He had caffeine too late in the day.
2. Which of the following characters does not become romantically involved with John in the novel?
3. Why is Carl particularly angry about having his stash taken in Chapter 8?
(a) He is on advance.
(b) He has promised it to buyers.
(c) He spent all night cutting it.
(d) He smuggled it into the country personally.
4. Where do Marion and Franklin first meet John in Chapter 7?
(a) The Woodmoores'.
(b) John's apartment.
(d) A baseball game.
5. What do John and Fay eat for dinner in Chapter 9?
(b) Cobb salads,
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of whiskey do Carl and John share in Chapter 7?
2. In Chapter 10, Taft gives Tommy Lawson's son tips on what?
3. Where does Fay spend most of her time on the second work shift in Chapter 7?
4. Why is Carl not with Taft when he dies in Chapter 12?
5. What did Carl hit in his crash?
Short Essay Questions
1. When does Fay surprise Taft in Chapter 10?
2. What is John's catharsis at the end of Taft?
3. Why does John refuse to be taken to a hospital after being shot?
4. What does Fay ask John at dinner in Chapter 9?
5. What confrontation do John and Carl have in Chapter 8?
6. Why is John deeply gladdened by his morning with Marion and Franklin in Chapter 11?
7. Where does John go to recuperate in Chapter 12?
8. Why is Taft shaken by the site of Carl's accident in Chapter 10?
9. How does Taft die in Chapter 12?
10. What difficulty do John and Fay face in bailing Carl out in Chapter?
This section contains 971 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)