|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Marion and Franklin first meet John in Chapter 7?
(a) The Woodmoores'.
(b) A baseball game.
(c) John's apartment.
2. What does the doctor suggest to Marion at the end of Chapter 11?
(a) She should give up nursing.
(b) She should have dinner with him.
(c) She should cut off communication with John.
(d) She should return to Memphis.
3. What does John say that enrages Ruth in Chapter 7?
(a) He wants to see Marion.
(b) She needs to lose weight.
(c) He should not have called her.
(d) He is leaving Memphis.
4. What does Carl do immediately before John kicks him out in Chapter 8?
(a) Push Fay over.
(b) Make a grab for his stash.
(c) Try to punch him.
(d) Break a glass.
5. What was Carl evidently doing when he crashed the car?
(a) Driving drunk.
(b) Sleeping at the wheel.
(c) Racing another car.
(d) Changing radio stations.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Carl hit in his crash?
2. Why is Carl not with Taft when he dies in Chapter 12?
3. What is Carl doing when John asks him to help with the deck in Chapter 12?
4. Which character dies over the course of the novel?
5. Where does Carl call Muddy's from in Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is John shot in Chapter 11?
2. Why is Taft shaken by the site of Carl's accident in Chapter 10?
3. How does John anger Ruth at the beginning of Chapter 7?
4. How do Ruth, Fay and Cyndi gang up on John at the beginning of Chapter 9?
5. Why does Taft ask his children to stay home Friday night?
6. What do John and Franklin do together at the end of Chapter 8?
7. Describe Taft's interaction with Tommy Lawson's son in Chapter 10?
8. What happens at dinner in Chapter 7.
9. How does Taft die in Chapter 12?
10. When does Fay surprise Taft in Chapter 10?
This section contains 999 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)