|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is special about the day Chapter 9 takes place on?
(a) It is Elvis's birthday.
(b) It is Fay's birthday.
(c) It is John's birthday.
(d) It is Franklin's birthday.
2. What does Ruth demand immediately up entering Muddy's in Chapter 9?
(a) A drink.
(b) A kiss.
(d) A ride home.
3. How does John say he knows Carl at the jail in Chapter 9?
(a) He is his father.
(b) He is his brother-in-law.
(c) He is a family friend.
(d) He employs him.
4. How does Fay get back into Muddy's in Chapter 11?
(a) She breaks a window.
(b) She comes in the back door.
(c) She jimmies the front door lock.
(d) She has stolen and copied John's key.
5. In the beginning of the Taft section of Chapter 12, where is Virginia?
(a) A parent-teacher conference.
(b) A rummage sale.
(c) A soup kitchen.
(d) A town meeting.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Taft give Tommy Lawson's boy to cool him off?
2. At the beginning of Chapter 11, what does Franklin say he wants to be when he grows up?
3. Who dances to the band's slow, elegiac song at Muddy's in Chapter 11?
4. In Chapter 8, Wallace says that Muddy's is developing a reputation as a what?
5. According to Ruth, what are the Woodmoores trying to convince Marion of in Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens at dinner in Chapter 7.
2. How do Carl and John bond in Chapter 7?
3. What do John and Franklin do together at the end of Chapter 8?
4. How does John anger Ruth at the beginning of Chapter 7?
5. Why does John refuse to be taken to a hospital after being shot?
6. How does Taft die in Chapter 12?
7. What difficulty do John and Fay face in bailing Carl out in Chapter?
8. What is John's catharsis at the end of Taft?
9. Where does John go to recuperate in Chapter 12?
10. How is John shot in Chapter 11?
This section contains 997 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)