|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which character dies over the course of the novel?
2. What does Mrs. Woodmore ask John to do regarding Fay in Chapter 12?
(a) Keep her on the Muddy's staff.
(b) Adopt her.
(c) Never see her again.
(d) Marry her.
3. Why is Carl not with Taft when he dies in Chapter 12?
(a) He is calling an ambulance.
(b) He refuses to touch him.
(c) He is in the toolshed.
(d) He is asleep.
4. Which of the following is in Carl's pocket when John interrogates him in Chapter 8?
(b) A luck rabbit's foot.
(d) A gun.
5. How many shifts in a row is Taft planning to work in Chapter 8?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Fay get back into Muddy's in Chapter 11?
2. What does Mrs. Woodmoore interrupt when she comes to talk to John in Chapter 12?
3. Who calls John at the beginning on Chapter 7?
4. Who dances to the band's slow, elegiac song at Muddy's in Chapter 11?
5. Where do the Woodmoores put John to sleep in Chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do John and Franklin do together at the end of Chapter 8?
2. What is John's catharsis at the end of Taft?
3. How does Carl explain his arrest in Chapter 9?
4. Why is Taft shaken by the site of Carl's accident in Chapter 10?
5. How does Marion's friend, the doctor, help John in Chapter 11?
6. What does Fay ask John at dinner in Chapter 9?
7. How does John anger Ruth at the beginning of Chapter 7?
8. Where does John go to recuperate in Chapter 12?
9. What does Wallace tell John about Carl in Chapter 8?
10. What difficulty do John and Fay face in bailing Carl out in Chapter?
This section contains 951 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)