|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 6, what does Taft fear regarding his in-laws and his children?
(a) His children are stealing from his in-laws.
(b) His children resent the in-laws.
(c) His in-laws are trying to convert his children to Catholicism.
(d) His in-laws want the children as surrogates.
2. Which of the following is a location John and Fay check for Carl in Chapter 3?
(a) Rum Boogie Cafe.
(b) The bus depot.
(c) A pool hall.
(d) The emergency room.
3. In Chapter 5, what does Taft admonish Fay about?
(a) Staying out late.
(b) Almost failing a test.
(c) Eating too much.
4. What injury did Tommy Lawson suffer at work?
(a) He developed lupus.
(b) He turned an ankle.
(c) He lost two fingers.
(d) He suffered a concussion.
5. In Chapter 5, what still amazes John about the Woodmoores?
(a) They do not own a television.
(b) They got over their hatred of him.
(c) They still call him James.
(d) They never speak to Marion.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did John leave Marion?
2. What does Carl do while he is at the bar in Chapter 3?
3. How old was Ruth when she kissed John?
4. What question does Fay ask John that makes him uncomfortable in Chapter 5?
5. How often did John and Marion see each other after reuniting?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are Taft's feelings about race elucidated in Chapter 6?
2. Describe the interchange John has with Cyndi in Chapter 4?
3. In what state is Cyndi on the second night of Chapter 3?
4. How is Levon Taft's life described in Chapter 5?
5. Describe the frantic call that John gets at the end of the Chapter 1?
6. How is Ruth introduced in Chapter 5?
7. How do John and Fay meet in Chapter 1?
8. What do John and Fay do at the battlefield in Chapter 4?
9. What role does Carl play at Muddy's as time does on?
10. What call does John Nickel make at work in Chapter 2?
This section contains 1,000 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)