|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is John angry at the beginning of Chapter 6?
(a) The broiler is broken.
(b) Wallace is sick.
(c) Cyndi is drunk.
(d) Fay hasn't shown up.
2. In Chapter 4, John asks Cyndi if she would be comfortable doing what?
(a) Mixing cocktails.
(b) Running money to the bank.
(c) Running the bar.
(d) Picking up Fay.
3. In Chapter 5, why does John state he is indebted to Ruth?
(a) She lent him a few hundred dollars.
(b) She convinced Marion to return to Memphis.
(c) She stuck by him in the bad days.
(d) She never missed one of his shows.
4. In Chapter 6, what does Ruth insist about John's drumming?
(a) He could have been professional.
(b) He was better on trumpet.
(c) He was overrated.
(d) He was underutilized by his band.
5. While Cyndi is drunk in Chapter 3, she talks about her time where?
(b) New York.
Short Answer Questions
1. What question does Fay ask John that makes him uncomfortable in Chapter 5?
2. In Chapter 5, what does Taft admonish Fay about?
3. Who does John decide should handle the bar deposits in Chapter 4?
4. What does Taft wish would happen during the match at the end of Chapter 6?
5. Whom does John speak to on the phone in Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did John return to Marion?
2. What role does Carl play at Muddy's as time does on?
3. What does Taft worry about regarding his children in Chapter 5?
4. What does John imagine at the end of Chapter 4?
5. How does Ruth interact with Fay and John in Chapter 6?
6. In Chapter 2, what does Fay reveal to John about herself?
7. Describe the interchange John has with Cyndi in Chapter 4?
8. Describe John Nickel's experience at the Rum Boogie Cafe.
9. What happened to the Taft family after the patriarch's death?
10. How is Ruth introduced in Chapter 5?
This section contains 975 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)