|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What tender gesture does John make toward Fay on the battlefield in Chapter 4?
(a) He holds her.
(b) He kisses her.
(c) He gives her his coat.
(d) He rubs her shoulders.
2. Where did Carl work after his father's death?
(a) The local high school.
(b) A mechanic's shop.
(c) A gas station.
(d) A lumberyard.
3. Why is John angry at the beginning of Chapter 6?
(a) The broiler is broken.
(b) Cyndi is drunk.
(c) Fay hasn't shown up.
(d) Wallace is sick.
4. What do John and Fay look at immediately upon entering the battlefield in Chapter 4?
(b) A statue.
(c) The highest hill.
(d) The woods.
5. How old does Fay admit to being in Chapter 6?
(a) Almost 18.
(b) Almost 20.
(c) Almost 16.
(d) Almost 22.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gets standoffish with John near the end of Chapter 4?
2. What does Taft feel his in-laws use against him?
3. What was Fay's mother's occupation before her husband's death?
4. What do the Woodmoores regularly try to convince Marion to do?
5. When does the battlefield close in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Levon Taft's life described in Chapter 5?
2. Why does Levon Taft dislike his in-laws?
3. In what state is Cyndi on the second night of Chapter 3?
4. How is Ruth introduced in Chapter 5?
5. What does John learn about Marion at dinner in Chapter 5?
6. What do John and Fay do at the battlefield in Chapter 4?
7. Why did John Nickel leave Marion?
8. Describe the interchange between John and Fay in Chapter 5.
9. Why does John buy cigarettes in Chapter 5?
10. Why did John return to Marion?
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)