|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does John refuse to do for Fay at the end of Chapter 3?
(a) Give her a raise.
(b) Take her back to his apartment.
(c) Tell her about his son.
(d) Kiss her.
2. What makes Taft uncomfortable about Memphis in Chapter 6?
(a) The number of bars.
(b) The black people.
(c) The scantily clad women.
(d) The poverty.
3. The statue on the battlefield commemorates the dead of which state?
4. When did John leave Marion?
(a) When she wanted to get married.
(b) When she became preganant.
(c) When she was in nursing school.
(d) When she started doing cocaine.
5. In Chapter 4, John asks Cyndi if she would be comfortable doing what?
(a) Running the bar.
(b) Picking up Fay.
(c) Running money to the bank.
(d) Mixing cocktails.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of Chapter 4, John imagines Car and Taft doing what?
2. Where does John tell Ruth to meet him in Chapter 6?
3. What singer does Cyndi put on in Chapter 3 that annoys John?
4. In Chapter 5, what does Mr. Woodmoore privately ask John to do?
5. What did Marion demand in return for moving back in with John?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to the Taft family after the patriarch's death?
2. Why did John return to Marion?
3. Why did John Nickel leave Marion?
4. How is Ruth introduced in Chapter 5?
5. What role does Carl play at Muddy's as time does on?
6. In Chapter 2, what does Fay reveal to John about herself?
7. Describe the interchange John has with Cyndi in Chapter 4?
8. What does John reason about the Taft house in the beginning of Chapter 4?
9. How is Levon Taft's life described in Chapter 5?
10. How does John feel about Fay's neighborhood in Chapter 3?
This section contains 902 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)