|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does John admonish Eddie's father in Chapter 2?
(a) Eddie is not in school.
(b) Eddie has no shoes.
(c) Eddie's father owes john money.
(d) Eddie's father is drunk.
2. In Chapter 4, Taft jokes with Fay before what?
(a) They go to church.
(b) He goes to sleep.
(c) She goes on a date.
(d) They leave fro Memphis.
3. What does John notice about Carl as he leaves the bar in Chapter 2?
(a) He is skipping.
(b) He walks very straight and fast.
(c) He can barely walk.
(d) He always walks behind Fay.
4. Where do Taft's in-laws live?
(d) St. Louis.
5. What sport was Carl a star of?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who apologizes to John before he leaves to pick up Fay in Chapter 4?
2. How does John know the woman at Rum Boogie Cafe?
3. What does John fixate on at the beginning of Chapter 4?
4. What business in Memphis does Fay's uncle run?
5. Why does John offer to drive Fay home in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are Taft's feelings about race elucidated in Chapter 6?
2. Why does John refuse to be taken to a hospital after being shot?
3. How does Ruth interact with Fay and John in Chapter 6?
4. Why is John deeply gladdened by his morning with Marion and Franklin in Chapter 11?
5. How is Levon Taft's life described in Chapter 5?
6. Why did John return to Marion?
7. What confrontation do John and Carl have in Chapter 8?
8. How does Marion's friend, the doctor, help John in Chapter 11?
9. How does John anger Ruth at the beginning of Chapter 7?
10. Why did John Nickel leave Marion?
This section contains 966 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)