|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does John notice about Carl as he leaves the bar in Chapter 2?
(a) He always walks behind Fay.
(b) He is skipping.
(c) He walks very straight and fast.
(d) He can barely walk.
2. What is the primary reason for the Tafts' visit to Memphis in Chapter 6?
(a) Fay's piano recital.
(b) A cousin's wedding.
(c) Carl's wrestling match.
(d) Victoria's high school reunion.
3. What makes Taft uncomfortable about Memphis in Chapter 6?
(a) The number of bars.
(b) The poverty.
(c) The black people.
(d) The scantily clad women.
4. What tender gesture does John make toward Fay on the battlefield in Chapter 4?
(a) He gives her his coat.
(b) He holds her.
(c) He rubs her shoulders.
(d) He kisses her.
5. How old does Fay admit to being in Chapter 6?
(a) Almost 18.
(b) Almost 22.
(c) Almost 20.
(d) Almost 16.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does John refuse to do for Fay at the end of Chapter 3?
2. Who apologizes to John before he leaves to pick up Fay in Chapter 4?
3. How does Ruth treat Fay in Chapter 6?
4. Who gets standoffish with John near the end of Chapter 4?
5. What task in the bar does John worry about delegating in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Taft worry about regarding his children in Chapter 5?
2. Why does Levon Taft dislike his in-laws?
3. In what state is Cyndi on the second night of Chapter 3?
4. How does Fay describe her family to John In Chapter 6?
5. How do John and Fay meet in Chapter 1?
6. What call does John Nickel make at work in Chapter 2?
7. What is the nature of Ruth and John's visit together in the midst of Chapter 6?
8. How are Taft's feelings about race elucidated in Chapter 6?
9. Who does Fay introduce John to Chapter 2?
10. Why did John return to Marion?
This section contains 919 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)