|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Ruth doing when John wakes up at the beginning of Chapter 7?
(a) Taking a shower.
(b) Making breakfast.
(c) Talking on the phone.
(d) Doing her nails.
2. Where does Carl call Muddy's from in Chapter 9?
(a) Rum Boogie Cafe.
(b) The Woodmoores.
(c) New Orleans.
3. Who does Taft fear is dead in Chapter 8?
(b) Tommy Lawson.
4. What advise from Virginia regarding the car repair does Taft refuse in Chapter 10?
(a) Going without a car.
(b) Putting it on the Visa.
(c) Buying a used car.
(d) Borrowing money from his in-laws.
5. In Chapter 10, Taft gives Tommy Lawson's son tips on what?
6. Which of the following characters does not become romantically involved with John in the novel?
7. Who immediately accosts John when he enters Muddy's in Chapter 11?
8. In Chapter 8, What does Fay pointedly ask John?
(a) If she is fired.
(b) If he and Marion are back together.
(c) If he is leaving Memphis.
(d) If he is supplying Carl.
9. Who is left at the Woodmoore house in Chapter 11 when John is brought to the doctor's?
10. Where does Fay spend most of her time on the second work shift in Chapter 7?
(a) Working the tables.
(b) In the bathroom.
(c) Behind the bar.
(d) The kitchen.
11. Who dances to the band's slow, elegiac song at Muddy's in Chapter 11?
12. Who visits Taft in the middle of the night in Chapter 10?
(b) Tommy Lawson.
13. What does Mrs. Woodmore ask John to do regarding Fay in Chapter 12?
(a) Marry her.
(b) Never see her again.
(c) Adopt her.
(d) Keep her on the Muddy's staff.
14. Why does the doctor in Chapter 11 agree to help John in Chapter 11?
(a) He is being paid under the table.
(b) He likes Marion.
(c) He is one of Carl's customers.
(d) He is a regular at Muddy's.
15. What does Mrs. Woodmoore interrupt when she comes to talk to John in Chapter 12?
(a) His breakfast.
(b) His sponge bath.
(c) His painkiller dose.
(d) His agreeing to take Marion back.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Carl not with Taft when he dies in Chapter 12?
2. Where do John, Marion and Franklin meet for breakfast in Chapter 8?
3. What does Taft do as soon as he returns home from the mechanic in Chapter 10?
4. How does John say he knows Carl at the jail in Chapter 9?
5. At the beginning of Chapter 12, who picks up John's prescription?
This section contains 443 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)