|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does John demand not to be taken to the hospital in Chapter 11?
(a) He does not trust white doctor's
(b) He is a Christian Scientist.
(c) He fears Carl will be arrested.
(d) He thinks he will die en route.
2. Where does Carl call Muddy's from in Chapter 9?
(a) The Woodmoores.
(c) New Orleans.
(d) Rum Boogie Cafe.
3. What kind of whiskey do Carl and John share in Chapter 7?
(b) Johnny Walker Blue.
(c) Jack Daniels.
(d) Jim Beam.
4. Where is Taft in Chapter 12 when he has his fatal heart attack?
(a) The kitchen.
(b) The bathroom.
(c) His bedroom.
(d) The backyard.
5. How old is Carl in the final passage of Taft?
(a) 3 months.
6. What does John say that enrages Ruth in Chapter 7?
(a) He is leaving Memphis.
(b) She needs to lose weight.
(c) He should not have called her.
(d) He wants to see Marion.
7. In Chapter 10, how does Taft decide Carl will pay off the damage to the car?
(a) A paper route.
(b) A job at the Dairy Queen.
(c) A job at the lumberyard.
(d) A job at the local video store.
8. In Chapter 8, What does Fay pointedly ask John?
(a) If he is supplying Carl.
(b) If he is leaving Memphis.
(c) If he and Marion are back together.
(d) If she is fired.
9. How does Fay get back into Muddy's in Chapter 11?
(a) She comes in the back door.
(b) She jimmies the front door lock.
(c) She breaks a window.
(d) She has stolen and copied John's key.
10. In Chapter 8, Wallace reveal Carl to be what?
(a) A racist.
(b) A homosexual.
(c) A rapist.
(d) A drug dealer.
11. What does John teach Carl in Chapter 7?
(a) Basic boxing moves.
(b) Jazz theory.
(c) Mixing drinks.
(d) How to balance a ledger.
12. What does the doctor suggest to Marion at the end of Chapter 11?
(a) She should have dinner with him.
(b) She should return to Memphis.
(c) She should give up nursing.
(d) She should cut off communication with John.
13. In Chapter 9, Carl says he was arrested in the parking lot of what?
(a) A nightclub.
(b) A high school.
(c) A Carl Jr.'s.
(d) A zoo.
14. In Chapter 8, Wallace says that Muddy's is developing a reputation as a what?
(a) Dangerous bar.
(b) Gay bar.
(c) Dead bar.
(d) Drug bar.
15. What advise from Virginia regarding the car repair does Taft refuse in Chapter 10?
(a) Buying a used car.
(b) Borrowing money from his in-laws.
(c) Putting it on the Visa.
(d) Going without a car.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is left at the Woodmoore house in Chapter 11 when John is brought to the doctor's?
2. Where does Fay spend most of her time on the second work shift in Chapter 7?
3. At the beginning of Chapter 11, what does Franklin say he wants to be when he grows up?
4. Who does Taft fear is dead in Chapter 8?
5. What do John and Fay eat for dinner in Chapter 9?
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)