|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of whiskey do Carl and John share in Chapter 7?
(a) Jim Beam.
(b) Johnny Walker Blue.
(c) Jack Daniels.
2. In the beginning of the Taft section of Chapter 12, where is Virginia?
(a) A rummage sale.
(b) A soup kitchen.
(c) A town meeting.
(d) A parent-teacher conference.
3. Which of the following is in Carl's pocket when John interrogates him in Chapter 8?
(a) A gun.
(b) A luck rabbit's foot.
4. In Chapter 8, Wallace says that Muddy's is developing a reputation as a what?
(a) Dead bar.
(b) Dangerous bar.
(c) Gay bar.
(d) Drug bar.
5. What does Mrs. Woodmore ask John to do regarding Fay in Chapter 12?
(a) Marry her.
(b) Keep her on the Muddy's staff.
(c) Adopt her.
(d) Never see her again.
6. Which character dies over the course of the novel?
7. Why do Mr. and Mrs. Woodmoore keep quiet in the house after the wounded John arrives in Chapter 11?
(a) They are afraid the police will get called.
(b) They do not want to aggravate John's condition.
(c) They have experienced a shooting wound before.
(d) They do not want to wake Franklin.
8. Why, according to the mechanic in Chapter 10, will the car insurance only pay a few hundred?
(a) Another car was not involved.
(b) Taft was not driving.
(c) The car is almost totalled.
(d) This was not his first accident.
9. Why can John not sleep in his bed in Chapter 7?
(a) It is lumpy.
(b) He has no air conditioning.
(c) It smells like Ruth.
(d) He had caffeine too late in the day.
10. Who visits Taft in the middle of the night in Chapter 10?
(d) Tommy Lawson.
11. In Chapter 9, Carl says he was arrested in the parking lot of what?
(a) A high school.
(b) A nightclub.
(c) A zoo.
(d) A Carl Jr.'s.
12. What does Ruth demand immediately up entering Muddy's in Chapter 9?
(b) A drink.
(c) A kiss.
(d) A ride home.
13. What does John say that enrages Ruth in Chapter 7?
(a) He is leaving Memphis.
(b) She needs to lose weight.
(c) He should not have called her.
(d) He wants to see Marion.
14. What does Franklin ask to do at the end of Chapter 7?
(a) To get ice cream.
(b) To stay with John.
(c) To go to bed early.
(d) To go back to Miami.
15. Why is Carl particularly angry about having his stash taken in Chapter 8?
(a) He smuggled it into the country personally.
(b) He has promised it to buyers.
(c) He is on advance.
(d) He spent all night cutting it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Woodmoore interrupt when she comes to talk to John in Chapter 12?
2. Where is Taft in Chapter 12 when he has his fatal heart attack?
3. In Chapter 10, how does Taft decide Carl will pay off the damage to the car?
4. Who holds John's neck throughout most of Chapter 11?
5. In Chapter 7, why does Fay want John to apologize to her?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)