|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter 11, what does Franklin say he wants to be when he grows up?
(a) A drummer.
(b) An archeologist.
(c) A doctor.
(d) A firefighter.
2. According to Ruth, what are the Woodmoores trying to convince Marion of in Chapter 9?
(a) Giving up nursing.
(b) Taking back John.
(c) Staying another week.
(d) Leaving Franklin with them.
3. What does John teach Carl in Chapter 7?
(a) Basic boxing moves.
(b) Jazz theory.
(c) How to balance a ledger.
(d) Mixing drinks.
4. Who immediately accosts John when he enters Muddy's in Chapter 11?
5. Who calls John at the beginning on Chapter 7?
(b) Mrs. Woodmoore.
6. How does Fay get back into Muddy's in Chapter 11?
(a) She has stolen and copied John's key.
(b) She comes in the back door.
(c) She breaks a window.
(d) She jimmies the front door lock.
7. What does Ruth demand immediately up entering Muddy's in Chapter 9?
(a) A kiss.
(b) A ride home.
(c) A drink.
8. Who dances to the band's slow, elegiac song at Muddy's in Chapter 11?
9. What does John assure Ruth of regarding Marion in the beginning of Chapter 9?
(a) She will never leave Miami.
(b) She doesn't want Franklin anymore.
(c) She is a good mother.
(d) He does not want her back.
10. Where do the Woodmoores put John to sleep in Chapter 12?
(a) Their bedroom.
(b) Marion's old room.
(c) The living room.
(d) Franklin's room.
11. What is Carl doing for the first time in the Taft section of Chapter 8?
(a) Borrowing the car.
(b) Going camping.
(c) Going on a date.
(d) Working a job.
12. In Chapter 10, how does Taft decide Carl will pay off the damage to the car?
(a) A job at the local video store.
(b) A paper route.
(c) A job at the Dairy Queen.
(d) A job at the lumberyard.
13. How old is Carl in the final passage of Taft?
(c) 3 months.
14. In Chapter 8, Wallace says that Muddy's is developing a reputation as a what?
(a) Dead bar.
(b) Drug bar.
(c) Dangerous bar.
(d) Gay bar.
15. What is Carl doing when John asks him to help with the deck in Chapter 12?
(b) Eating breaksfast.
(c) Reading a school book.
(d) Lifting weights.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Tommy Lawson's son selling when he knocks on Taft's door in Chapter 10?
2. What does Carl thank John for at the beginning of Chapter 8?
3. Which character dies over the course of the novel?
4. In Chapter 7, why does Fay want John to apologize to her?
5. Who does the officer in the jail insist must bail out Carl in Chapter 9?
This section contains 445 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)