|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who dances to the band's slow, elegiac song at Muddy's in Chapter 11?
2. At the beginning of Chapter 12, who picks up John's prescription?
(b) The Doctor.
3. Why does the doctor in Chapter 11 agree to help John in Chapter 11?
(a) He is being paid under the table.
(b) He likes Marion.
(c) He is a regular at Muddy's.
(d) He is one of Carl's customers.
4. Which character dies over the course of the novel?
5. What does Carl do immediately before John kicks him out in Chapter 8?
(a) Try to punch him.
(b) Make a grab for his stash.
(c) Push Fay over.
(d) Break a glass.
6. At the beginning of Chapter 11, what does Franklin say he wants to be when he grows up?
(a) A doctor.
(b) An archeologist.
(c) A drummer.
(d) A firefighter.
7. What does John tell Teddy to do in Chapter 11 after the bar closes?
(a) Count the deposit.
(b) Lock the doors.
(c) Walk Fay out.
(d) Change out the kegs.
8. In Chapter 12, where does Fay say she thinks she can get a job?
(a) A day care.
(b) The lumberyard.
(c) A church.
(d) The Dairy Queen.
9. In Chapter 10, how does Taft decide Carl will pay off the damage to the car?
(a) A paper route.
(b) A job at the lumberyard.
(c) A job at the Dairy Queen.
(d) A job at the local video store.
10. Where is Taft in Chapter 12 when he has his fatal heart attack?
(a) The kitchen.
(b) The bathroom.
(c) The backyard.
(d) His bedroom.
11. What is Tommy Lawson's son selling when he knocks on Taft's door in Chapter 10?
(a) Magazine subscriptions.
(b) Candy bars.
(c) Kitchen knives.
(d) Coupon books.
12. Why can John not sleep in his bed in Chapter 7?
(a) He had caffeine too late in the day.
(b) It smells like Ruth.
(c) He has no air conditioning.
(d) It is lumpy.
13. What does John assure Ruth of regarding Marion in the beginning of Chapter 9?
(a) She doesn't want Franklin anymore.
(b) She is a good mother.
(c) She will never leave Miami.
(d) He does not want her back.
14. Why, according to the mechanic in Chapter 10, will the car insurance only pay a few hundred?
(a) Another car was not involved.
(b) This was not his first accident.
(c) The car is almost totalled.
(d) Taft was not driving.
15. What does Taft do as soon as he returns home from the mechanic in Chapter 10?
(a) Orders a pizza.
(b) Opens a beer.
(c) Work on the porch.
(d) Calls into work.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Mr. and Mrs. Woodmoore keep quiet in the house after the wounded John arrives in Chapter 11?
2. What is Ruth doing when John wakes up at the beginning of Chapter 7?
3. In Chapter 7, why does Fay want John to apologize to her?
4. Who is Carl involved with as of Chapter 8?
5. Who visits Taft in the middle of the night in Chapter 10?
This section contains 512 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)