|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following characters does not become romantically involved with John in the novel?
2. What did Carl hit in his crash?
(a) A tree.
(b) Another car.
(c) A guard rail.
(d) An embankment.
3. What does Carl thank John for at the beginning of Chapter 8?
(a) Taking care of him weeks ago.
(b) Letting him hang around Muddy's.
(c) The boxing lesson.
(d) Driving Fay home.
4. In Chapter 8, What does Fay pointedly ask John?
(a) If he is supplying Carl.
(b) If he and Marion are back together.
(c) If he is leaving Memphis.
(d) If she is fired.
5. In Chapter 7, why does John think the crowd is larger than normal?
(a) The bar across the street has closed.
(b) Tourist season has started.
(c) Elvis's birthday is today.
(d) Fay's friends are coming.
6. Why is Carl not with Taft when he dies in Chapter 12?
(a) He is calling an ambulance.
(b) He is in the toolshed.
(c) He refuses to touch him.
(d) He is asleep.
7. Who does the officer in the jail insist must bail out Carl in Chapter 9?
(a) His mother.
(b) His aunt.
(c) His father.
8. How much does the mechanic quote Taft for the damage in the beginning of Chapter 10?
(a) $ 800.
9. What does Taft do as soon as he returns home from the mechanic in Chapter 10?
(a) Orders a pizza.
(b) Work on the porch.
(c) Opens a beer.
(d) Calls into work.
10. Where do Marion and Franklin first meet John in Chapter 7?
(a) A baseball game.
(c) John's apartment.
(d) The Woodmoores'.
11. What do John and Fay eat for dinner in Chapter 9?
(c) Cobb salads,
12. In the beginning of the Taft section of Chapter 12, where is Virginia?
(a) A rummage sale.
(b) A parent-teacher conference.
(c) A soup kitchen.
(d) A town meeting.
13. What does Mrs. Woodmoore interrupt when she comes to talk to John in Chapter 12?
(a) His painkiller dose.
(b) His breakfast.
(c) His agreeing to take Marion back.
(d) His sponge bath.
14. What does Franklin ask to do at the end of Chapter 7?
(a) To go to bed early.
(b) To get ice cream.
(c) To go back to Miami.
(d) To stay with John.
15. Who is left at the Woodmoore house in Chapter 11 when John is brought to the doctor's?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the doctor in Chapter 11 agree to help John in Chapter 11?
2. Where do the Woodmoores put John to sleep in Chapter 12?
3. Where does Carl call Muddy's from in Chapter 9?
4. Where is Taft in Chapter 12 when he has his fatal heart attack?
5. What was Carl evidently doing when he crashed the car?
This section contains 462 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)