|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who visits Taft in the middle of the night in Chapter 10?
(a) Tommy Lawson.
2. Why does the doctor in Chapter 11 agree to help John in Chapter 11?
(a) He is one of Carl's customers.
(b) He likes Marion.
(c) He is being paid under the table.
(d) He is a regular at Muddy's.
3. Who does the officer in the jail insist must bail out Carl in Chapter 9?
(b) His aunt.
(c) His father.
(d) His mother.
4. What kind of whiskey do Carl and John share in Chapter 7?
(b) Johnny Walker Blue.
(c) Jack Daniels.
(d) Jim Beam.
5. Where do John, Marion and Franklin meet for breakfast in Chapter 8?
(a) Waffle House.
6. What was Carl evidently doing when he crashed the car?
(a) Sleeping at the wheel.
(b) Changing radio stations.
(c) Racing another car.
(d) Driving drunk.
7. Who dances to the band's slow, elegiac song at Muddy's in Chapter 11?
8. What did Carl hit in his crash?
(a) A tree.
(b) An embankment.
(c) Another car.
(d) A guard rail.
9. What does John assure Ruth of regarding Marion in the beginning of Chapter 9?
(a) She will never leave Miami.
(b) She doesn't want Franklin anymore.
(c) He does not want her back.
(d) She is a good mother.
10. What does the doctor suggest to Marion at the end of Chapter 11?
(a) She should give up nursing.
(b) She should have dinner with him.
(c) She should return to Memphis.
(d) She should cut off communication with John.
11. Why do Mr. and Mrs. Woodmoore keep quiet in the house after the wounded John arrives in Chapter 11?
(a) They do not want to wake Franklin.
(b) They do not want to aggravate John's condition.
(c) They have experienced a shooting wound before.
(d) They are afraid the police will get called.
12. How many shifts in a row is Taft planning to work in Chapter 8?
13. What does Taft give Tommy Lawson's boy to cool him off?
(a) A Coke.
(b) A popsickle.
(c) A beer.
(d) An ice-cream sandwich.
14. In Chapter 8, What does Fay pointedly ask John?
(a) If he is supplying Carl.
(b) If she is fired.
(c) If he is leaving Memphis.
(d) If he and Marion are back together.
15. What does John tell Teddy to do in Chapter 11 after the bar closes?
(a) Lock the doors.
(b) Count the deposit.
(c) Walk Fay out.
(d) Change out the kegs.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Carl doing when John asks him to help with the deck in Chapter 12?
2. Who is Carl involved with as of Chapter 8?
3. What does Mrs. Woodmore ask John to do regarding Fay in Chapter 12?
4. What is Carl doing for the first time in the Taft section of Chapter 8?
5. What is Carl's excuse for the cocaine in Chapter 9?
This section contains 484 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)