|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Taft in Chapter 12 when he has his fatal heart attack?
(a) The kitchen.
(b) The backyard.
(c) His bedroom.
(d) The bathroom.
2. What is Carl's excuse for the cocaine in Chapter 9?
(a) He was holding it for someone else.
(b) He was using it himself.
(c) He was delivering it.
(d) The cop planted it on him.
3. Which character dies over the course of the novel?
4. What does Taft do as soon as he returns home from the mechanic in Chapter 10?
(a) Work on the porch.
(b) Orders a pizza.
(c) Opens a beer.
(d) Calls into work.
5. What is Ruth doing when John wakes up at the beginning of Chapter 7?
(a) Talking on the phone.
(b) Making breakfast.
(c) Doing her nails.
(d) Taking a shower.
6. Which of the following is in Carl's pocket when John interrogates him in Chapter 8?
(b) A luck rabbit's foot.
(c) A gun.
7. Where does Fay spend most of her time on the second work shift in Chapter 7?
(a) The kitchen.
(b) Behind the bar.
(c) Working the tables.
(d) In the bathroom.
8. Why does John demand not to be taken to the hospital in Chapter 11?
(a) He thinks he will die en route.
(b) He is a Christian Scientist.
(c) He fears Carl will be arrested.
(d) He does not trust white doctor's
9. What is Carl doing for the first time in the Taft section of Chapter 8?
(a) Going camping.
(b) Going on a date.
(c) Borrowing the car.
(d) Working a job.
10. What does Carl thank John for at the beginning of Chapter 8?
(a) Taking care of him weeks ago.
(b) The boxing lesson.
(c) Driving Fay home.
(d) Letting him hang around Muddy's.
11. In Chapter 7, why does Fay want John to apologize to her?
(a) For leaving her.
(b) For hiring another waitress.
(c) For kissing her.
(d) For yelling at Carl.
12. What is Tommy Lawson's son selling when he knocks on Taft's door in Chapter 10?
(a) Kitchen knives.
(b) Candy bars.
(c) Coupon books.
(d) Magazine subscriptions.
13. What does Mrs. Woodmoore interrupt when she comes to talk to John in Chapter 12?
(a) His painkiller dose.
(b) His breakfast.
(c) His sponge bath.
(d) His agreeing to take Marion back.
14. In the beginning of the Taft section of Chapter 12, where is Virginia?
(a) A rummage sale.
(b) A parent-teacher conference.
(c) A town meeting.
(d) A soup kitchen.
15. What does Carl do immediately before John kicks him out in Chapter 8?
(a) Make a grab for his stash.
(b) Break a glass.
(c) Try to punch him.
(d) Push Fay over.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why, according to the mechanic in Chapter 10, will the car insurance only pay a few hundred?
2. What do John and Fay eat for dinner in Chapter 9?
3. How does John say he knows Carl at the jail in Chapter 9?
4. What does Mrs. Woodmore ask John to do regarding Fay in Chapter 12?
5. In Chapter 12, where does Fay say she thinks she can get a job?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)