|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Taft do as soon as he returns home from the mechanic in Chapter 10?
(a) Work on the porch.
(b) Orders a pizza.
(c) Calls into work.
(d) Opens a beer.
2. What does Carl do immediately before John kicks him out in Chapter 8?
(a) Push Fay over.
(b) Make a grab for his stash.
(c) Break a glass.
(d) Try to punch him.
3. Why is Carl not with Taft when he dies in Chapter 12?
(a) He refuses to touch him.
(b) He is in the toolshed.
(c) He is asleep.
(d) He is calling an ambulance.
4. What is Carl doing when John asks him to help with the deck in Chapter 12?
(b) Eating breaksfast.
(c) Reading a school book.
(d) Lifting weights.
5. What does John teach Carl in Chapter 7?
(a) How to balance a ledger.
(b) Jazz theory.
(c) Mixing drinks.
(d) Basic boxing moves.
6. Who does the officer in the jail insist must bail out Carl in Chapter 9?
(a) His mother.
(b) His aunt.
(d) His father.
7. Who dances to the band's slow, elegiac song at Muddy's in Chapter 11?
8. What does Mrs. Woodmoore interrupt when she comes to talk to John in Chapter 12?
(a) His sponge bath.
(b) His agreeing to take Marion back.
(c) His breakfast.
(d) His painkiller dose.
9. Who holds John's neck throughout most of Chapter 11?
10. What does John say that enrages Ruth in Chapter 7?
(a) He is leaving Memphis.
(b) He wants to see Marion.
(c) She needs to lose weight.
(d) He should not have called her.
11. What does John tell Teddy to do in Chapter 11 after the bar closes?
(a) Lock the doors.
(b) Change out the kegs.
(c) Count the deposit.
(d) Walk Fay out.
12. What is Ruth doing when John wakes up at the beginning of Chapter 7?
(a) Doing her nails.
(b) Talking on the phone.
(c) Making breakfast.
(d) Taking a shower.
13. What was Carl evidently doing when he crashed the car?
(a) Sleeping at the wheel.
(b) Changing radio stations.
(c) Racing another car.
(d) Driving drunk.
14. What does Ruth demand immediately up entering Muddy's in Chapter 9?
(b) A drink.
(c) A ride home.
(d) A kiss.
15. According to Ruth, what are the Woodmoores trying to convince Marion of in Chapter 9?
(a) Giving up nursing.
(b) Leaving Franklin with them.
(c) Staying another week.
(d) Taking back John.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Fay ask John at the very beginning of Chapter 9?
2. What kind of whiskey do Carl and John share in Chapter 7?
3. Why can John not sleep in his bed in Chapter 7?
4. Who does Taft fear is dead in Chapter 8?
5. What advise from Virginia regarding the car repair does Taft refuse in Chapter 10?
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)