|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter 11, what does Franklin say he wants to be when he grows up?
(a) A firefighter.
(b) An archeologist.
(c) A drummer.
(d) A doctor.
2. What is special about the day Chapter 9 takes place on?
(a) It is Fay's birthday.
(b) It is Elvis's birthday.
(c) It is Franklin's birthday.
(d) It is John's birthday.
3. Who dances to the band's slow, elegiac song at Muddy's in Chapter 11?
4. Who is left at the Woodmoore house in Chapter 11 when John is brought to the doctor's?
5. In Chapter 9, Carl says he was arrested in the parking lot of what?
(a) A Carl Jr.'s.
(b) A nightclub.
(c) A high school.
(d) A zoo.
6. Why does John demand not to be taken to the hospital in Chapter 11?
(a) He thinks he will die en route.
(b) He does not trust white doctor's
(c) He is a Christian Scientist.
(d) He fears Carl will be arrested.
7. Where does Carl call Muddy's from in Chapter 9?
(a) New Orleans.
(c) The Woodmoores.
(d) Rum Boogie Cafe.
8. What does Mrs. Woodmoore interrupt when she comes to talk to John in Chapter 12?
(a) His painkiller dose.
(b) His sponge bath.
(c) His breakfast.
(d) His agreeing to take Marion back.
9. How does John say he knows Carl at the jail in Chapter 9?
(a) He employs him.
(b) He is his father.
(c) He is his brother-in-law.
(d) He is a family friend.
10. Where is Taft in Chapter 12 when he has his fatal heart attack?
(a) The backyard.
(b) His bedroom.
(c) The kitchen.
(d) The bathroom.
11. Where does Fay spend most of her time on the second work shift in Chapter 7?
(a) The kitchen.
(b) Behind the bar.
(c) In the bathroom.
(d) Working the tables.
12. What advise from Virginia regarding the car repair does Taft refuse in Chapter 10?
(a) Borrowing money from his in-laws.
(b) Going without a car.
(c) Putting it on the Visa.
(d) Buying a used car.
13. How much does the mechanic want to simply patch the car up in Chapter 10?
14. Which of the following characters does not become romantically involved with John in the novel?
15. In Chapter 7, why does Fay want John to apologize to her?
(a) For leaving her.
(b) For kissing her.
(c) For yelling at Carl.
(d) For hiring another waitress.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who holds John's neck throughout most of Chapter 11?
2. In Chapter 10, how does Taft decide Carl will pay off the damage to the car?
3. What was Carl evidently doing when he crashed the car?
4. What does John assure Ruth of regarding Marion in the beginning of Chapter 9?
5. Why is Wallace surprised by in Chapter 7?
This section contains 481 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)