|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Carl not with Taft when he dies in Chapter 12?
(a) He is calling an ambulance.
(b) He is in the toolshed.
(c) He is asleep.
(d) He refuses to touch him.
2. Where do the Woodmoores put John to sleep in Chapter 12?
(a) Franklin's room.
(b) Marion's old room.
(c) The living room.
(d) Their bedroom.
3. In Chapter 10, Taft gives Tommy Lawson's son tips on what?
4. What did Carl hit in his crash?
(a) An embankment.
(b) A guard rail.
(c) A tree.
(d) Another car.
5. Who immediately accosts John when he enters Muddy's in Chapter 11?
6. In Chapter 8, Wallace reveal Carl to be what?
(a) A racist.
(b) A homosexual.
(c) A rapist.
(d) A drug dealer.
7. What does Fay ask John at the very beginning of Chapter 9?
(a) If Marion has left.
(b) If she can have a raise.
(c) Whether he loves her.
(d) Why he kicked Carl out.
8. Which character dies over the course of the novel?
9. What does Taft give Tommy Lawson's boy to cool him off?
(a) A popsickle.
(b) A beer.
(c) An ice-cream sandwich.
(d) A Coke.
10. What does John tell Teddy to do in Chapter 11 after the bar closes?
(a) Walk Fay out.
(b) Count the deposit.
(c) Lock the doors.
(d) Change out the kegs.
11. How does John say he knows Carl at the jail in Chapter 9?
(a) He is his brother-in-law.
(b) He employs him.
(c) He is his father.
(d) He is a family friend.
12. What does Mrs. Woodmore ask John to do regarding Fay in Chapter 12?
(a) Keep her on the Muddy's staff.
(b) Adopt her.
(c) Marry her.
(d) Never see her again.
13. Where is Taft in Chapter 12 when he has his fatal heart attack?
(a) The kitchen.
(b) The backyard.
(c) The bathroom.
(d) His bedroom.
14. What does Fay ask of John at dinner in Chapter 9?
(a) That he take her virginity.
(b) That he marry her.
(c) That he hire Carl on.
(d) That he fire her.
15. Which of the following is in Carl's pocket when John interrogates him in Chapter 8?
(b) A luck rabbit's foot.
(d) A gun.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Carl evidently doing when he crashed the car?
2. What is Carl doing for the first time in the Taft section of Chapter 8?
3. How does Fay get back into Muddy's in Chapter 11?
4. At the beginning of Chapter 11, what does Franklin say he wants to be when he grows up?
5. What is Ruth doing when John wakes up at the beginning of Chapter 7?
This section contains 453 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)