|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who dances to the band's slow, elegiac song at Muddy's in Chapter 11?
2. How does John say he knows Carl at the jail in Chapter 9?
(a) He is a family friend.
(b) He is his brother-in-law.
(c) He employs him.
(d) He is his father.
3. What does Carl demand of John after he breaks into Muddy's in Chapter 11?
(a) John's pistol.
(b) His sister.
(c) The deposit.
(d) His drug stash.
4. Where does Fay spend most of her time on the second work shift in Chapter 7?
(a) The kitchen.
(b) In the bathroom.
(c) Working the tables.
(d) Behind the bar.
5. What do John and Fay eat for dinner in Chapter 9?
(b) Cobb salads,
6. What does the doctor suggest to Marion at the end of Chapter 11?
(a) She should give up nursing.
(b) She should cut off communication with John.
(c) She should return to Memphis.
(d) She should have dinner with him.
7. Why is Carl particularly angry about having his stash taken in Chapter 8?
(a) He spent all night cutting it.
(b) He has promised it to buyers.
(c) He smuggled it into the country personally.
(d) He is on advance.
8. What does John teach Carl in Chapter 7?
(a) Basic boxing moves.
(b) Jazz theory.
(c) How to balance a ledger.
(d) Mixing drinks.
9. What does Fay ask John at the very beginning of Chapter 9?
(a) If she can have a raise.
(b) Why he kicked Carl out.
(c) Whether he loves her.
(d) If Marion has left.
10. In the beginning of the Taft section of Chapter 12, where is Virginia?
(a) A parent-teacher conference.
(b) A rummage sale.
(c) A soup kitchen.
(d) A town meeting.
11. In Chapter 7, why does Fay want John to apologize to her?
(a) For hiring another waitress.
(b) For yelling at Carl.
(c) For kissing her.
(d) For leaving her.
12. What kind of whiskey do Carl and John share in Chapter 7?
(a) Johnny Walker Blue.
(b) Jim Beam.
(d) Jack Daniels.
13. Where do Marion and Franklin first meet John in Chapter 7?
(a) John's apartment.
(c) A baseball game.
(d) The Woodmoores'.
14. In Chapter 10, Taft gives Tommy Lawson's son tips on what?
15. What does Ruth demand immediately up entering Muddy's in Chapter 9?
(b) A kiss.
(c) A drink.
(d) A ride home.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Wallace surprised by in Chapter 7?
2. What does Taft give Tommy Lawson's boy to cool him off?
3. Which character dies over the course of the novel?
4. Why can John not sleep in his bed in Chapter 7?
5. According to Ruth, what are the Woodmoores trying to convince Marion of in Chapter 9?
This section contains 456 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)