|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Franklin ask to do at the end of Chapter 7?
(a) To go back to Miami.
(b) To get ice cream.
(c) To go to bed early.
(d) To stay with John.
2. In Chapter 7, why does John think the crowd is larger than normal?
(a) Elvis's birthday is today.
(b) Fay's friends are coming.
(c) The bar across the street has closed.
(d) Tourist season has started.
3. In Chapter 10, how does Taft decide Carl will pay off the damage to the car?
(a) A paper route.
(b) A job at the Dairy Queen.
(c) A job at the local video store.
(d) A job at the lumberyard.
4. Which character dies over the course of the novel?
5. What advise from Virginia regarding the car repair does Taft refuse in Chapter 10?
(a) Buying a used car.
(b) Going without a car.
(c) Borrowing money from his in-laws.
(d) Putting it on the Visa.
6. What is Tommy Lawson's son selling when he knocks on Taft's door in Chapter 10?
(a) Candy bars.
(b) Kitchen knives.
(c) Magazine subscriptions.
(d) Coupon books.
7. Which of the following is in Carl's pocket when John interrogates him in Chapter 8?
(b) A gun.
(c) A luck rabbit's foot.
8. What does Carl demand of John after he breaks into Muddy's in Chapter 11?
(a) His sister.
(b) John's pistol.
(c) The deposit.
(d) His drug stash.
9. How much does the mechanic want to simply patch the car up in Chapter 10?
10. What does Taft give Tommy Lawson's boy to cool him off?
(a) An ice-cream sandwich.
(b) A popsickle.
(c) A beer.
(d) A Coke.
11. Where is Taft in Chapter 12 when he has his fatal heart attack?
(a) The kitchen.
(b) The bathroom.
(c) His bedroom.
(d) The backyard.
12. How does John say he knows Carl at the jail in Chapter 9?
(a) He is his father.
(b) He employs him.
(c) He is a family friend.
(d) He is his brother-in-law.
13. According to Ruth, what are the Woodmoores trying to convince Marion of in Chapter 9?
(a) Staying another week.
(b) Leaving Franklin with them.
(c) Taking back John.
(d) Giving up nursing.
14. What does Mrs. Woodmore ask John to do regarding Fay in Chapter 12?
(a) Never see her again.
(b) Marry her.
(c) Keep her on the Muddy's staff.
(d) Adopt her.
15. In Chapter 8, What does Fay pointedly ask John?
(a) If he is leaving Memphis.
(b) If he and Marion are back together.
(c) If he is supplying Carl.
(d) If she is fired.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Carl involved with as of Chapter 8?
2. What does John say that enrages Ruth in Chapter 7?
3. Who immediately accosts John when he enters Muddy's in Chapter 11?
4. What kind of whiskey do Carl and John share in Chapter 7?
5. Who holds John's neck throughout most of Chapter 11?
This section contains 456 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)