|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Fay get back into Muddy's in Chapter 11?
(a) She jimmies the front door lock.
(b) She comes in the back door.
(c) She breaks a window.
(d) She has stolen and copied John's key.
2. In the beginning of the Taft section of Chapter 12, where is Virginia?
(a) A parent-teacher conference.
(b) A soup kitchen.
(c) A town meeting.
(d) A rummage sale.
3. Which of the following is in Carl's pocket when John interrogates him in Chapter 8?
(a) A gun.
(b) A luck rabbit's foot.
4. In Chapter 10, Taft gives Tommy Lawson's son tips on what?
5. How many shifts in a row is Taft planning to work in Chapter 8?
6. Where does Fay spend most of her time on the second work shift in Chapter 7?
(a) The kitchen.
(b) Behind the bar.
(c) In the bathroom.
(d) Working the tables.
7. Why do Mr. and Mrs. Woodmoore keep quiet in the house after the wounded John arrives in Chapter 11?
(a) They are afraid the police will get called.
(b) They have experienced a shooting wound before.
(c) They do not want to wake Franklin.
(d) They do not want to aggravate John's condition.
8. Who immediately accosts John when he enters Muddy's in Chapter 11?
9. Which character dies over the course of the novel?
10. According to Ruth, what are the Woodmoores trying to convince Marion of in Chapter 9?
(a) Taking back John.
(b) Giving up nursing.
(c) Staying another week.
(d) Leaving Franklin with them.
11. What does Carl demand of John after he breaks into Muddy's in Chapter 11?
(a) His drug stash.
(b) The deposit.
(c) His sister.
(d) John's pistol.
12. Where do the Woodmoores put John to sleep in Chapter 12?
(a) Their bedroom.
(b) Marion's old room.
(c) Franklin's room.
(d) The living room.
13. Who calls John at the beginning on Chapter 7?
(a) Mrs. Woodmoore.
14. What does John assure Ruth of regarding Marion in the beginning of Chapter 9?
(a) He does not want her back.
(b) She is a good mother.
(c) She doesn't want Franklin anymore.
(d) She will never leave Miami.
15. Who visits Taft in the middle of the night in Chapter 10?
(d) Tommy Lawson.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who holds John's neck throughout most of Chapter 11?
2. What is special about the day Chapter 9 takes place on?
3. What do John and Fay eat for dinner in Chapter 9?
4. How old is Carl in the final passage of Taft?
5. Why can John not sleep in his bed in Chapter 7?
This section contains 432 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)