|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Taft feel his in-laws use against him?
(a) Their worldliness.
(b) Their faith.
(c) Their happy marriage.
(d) Their wealth.
2. Where does Levon work as a night security guard?
(a) An impound lot.
(b) An airstrip.
(c) A lumberyard.
(d) A mall.
3. Where did Fay work in Coalfield?
(a) Piggly Wiggly.
(d) Dairy Queen.
4. What does the ranger in Chapter 4 warn Fay and John not to do before letting them into the battlefield?
(b) Get lost.
(c) Vandalize anything.
(d) Make too much noise.
5. In Chapter 6, what does Ruth insist about John's drumming?
(a) He was better on trumpet.
(b) He was overrated.
(c) He was underutilized by his band.
(d) He could have been professional.
6. What is Rose's job at Muddy's?
7. What does Taft wish would happen during the match at the end of Chapter 6?
(a) The clock would run down.
(b) Carl would get a second shot.
(c) The ref would call the match.
(d) The other kid would tap out.
8. Why is John uncomfortable in Fay's neighborhood?
(a) It is in a dry county.
(b) It is known for gang violence.
(c) It is outside of town.
(d) It is affluent and white.
9. What is John's concern regarding his applicant in Chapter 1?
(a) They have a foreign accent.
(b) They seem too young.
(c) They cannot provide a proof of citizenship.
(d) They have a criminal record.
10. How does John know the woman at Rum Boogie Cafe?
(a) She is Marion's cousin.
(b) She is a alderwoman.
(c) She is a nurse.
(d) She is a regular at Muddy's.
11. In Chapter 5, why does John state he is indebted to Ruth?
(a) She convinced Marion to return to Memphis.
(b) She stuck by him in the bad days.
(c) She lent him a few hundred dollars.
(d) She never missed one of his shows.
12. Who apologizes to John before he leaves to pick up Fay in Chapter 4?
13. In Chapter 5, When is Marion planning to bring Franklin to Memphis?
(a) During summer vacation.
(b) At Thanksgiving.
(c) At Christmas.
(d) Over spring break.
14. How is the weather in Chapter 6?
(a) It is scorching hot.
(b) It is raining.
(c) A frost is coming.
(d) It is dry and mild.
15. Who approaches John Nickel about a job at the beginning of Chapter 1?
Short Answer Questions
1. When does the battlefield close in Chapter 4?
2. Before leaving the Woodmoore's, what does John invite Ruth to do?
3. Who is Virginia?
4. Why does John give up admonishing Eddie's father in Chapter 2?
5. Who gets standoffish with John near the end of Chapter 4?
This section contains 449 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)