|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Fay and John eventually find Carl in Chapter 3?
(a) The woods behind Fay's house.
(b) The doorway of Muddy's.
(c) Out front of Fay's house.
(d) A methadone clinic.
2. Why does John admonish Eddie's father in Chapter 2?
(a) Eddie is not in school.
(b) Eddie has no shoes.
(c) Eddie's father owes john money.
(d) Eddie's father is drunk.
3. Why does John feel awful in the morning of Chapter 2?
(a) He drank too much.
(b) He is getting a cold.
(c) He fell asleep in a chair.
(d) He did not sleep.
4. What business in Memphis does Fay's uncle run?
(a) Shnucks Grocery.
(b) Citizen's Bank and Trust.
(c) Martin-Quick Pharmacy.
(d) Mr. Bojangles.
5. When did John leave Marion?
(a) When she wanted to get married.
(b) When she became preganant.
(c) When she started doing cocaine.
(d) When she was in nursing school.
6. Which of the following relatives does John not see through the window with Fay in Chapter 6?
(b) Her cousin.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Her uncle.
7. What does John decide was an pivotal event for Fay and Carl?
(a) Moving to Memphis.
(b) Carl's turning to drugs.
(c) The father losing his job.
(d) Their father's death.
8. What promise does John make Marion at the end of Chapter 5?
(a) To stop calling.
(b) To find them a hotel.
(c) To behave.
(d) To take up yoga.
9. Who apologizes to John before he leaves to pick up Fay in Chapter 4?
10. At the Rum Boogie Cafe, John is certain he will have sex with a woman despite what?
(a) She is married.
(b) She dislikes him.
(c) She is white.
(d) She is sober.
11. While giving Fay a tour of the bar in Chapter 2, John marvels what about Tennessee?
(a) It is so poor.
(b) It is so small.
(c) It is so green.
(d) It is so diverse.
12. What does Carl do while he is at the bar in Chapter 3?
(a) Help with tables.
(b) Watch TV.
(c) Read a book.
(d) Play the jukebox.
13. How old does Fay admit to being in Chapter 6?
(a) Almost 16.
(b) Almost 18.
(c) Almost 22.
(d) Almost 20.
14. Who is teaching Fay a new skill at Muddy's in Chapter 5?
15. In Chapter 6, what does Ruth insist about John's drumming?
(a) He was overrated.
(b) He was underutilized by his band.
(c) He was better on trumpet.
(d) He could have been professional.
Short Answer Questions
1. What question does Fay ask John that makes him uncomfortable in Chapter 5?
2. In Chapter 3, John notices that Carl does not have what?
3. How is Franklin hurt at the end of Chapter 1?
4. What is obvious about Carl's disposition in Chapter 2?
5. Why does Taft stop working on the deck early in Chapter 5?
This section contains 487 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)