|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 5, When is Marion planning to bring Franklin to Memphis?
(a) At Christmas.
(b) During summer vacation.
(c) Over spring break.
(d) At Thanksgiving.
2. What does Taft feel his in-laws use against him?
(a) Their wealth.
(b) Their happy marriage.
(c) Their faith.
(d) Their worldliness.
3. Why does Taft stop working on the deck early in Chapter 5?
(a) He is too tired.
(b) Fay needs a ride.
(c) He is having chest pains.
(d) Carl storms off.
4. Why does John offer to drive Fay home in Chapter 3?
(a) Carl hasn't shown.
(b) She is tipsy.
(c) He feels lonely.
(d) There is a tornado watch.
5. Where does John tell Ruth to meet him in Chapter 6?
(c) His apartment.
(d) Rum Boogie Cafe.
6. Where do Taft's in-laws live?
(d) St. Louis.
7. In Chapter 5, what still amazes John about the Woodmoores?
(a) They still call him James.
(b) They never speak to Marion.
(c) They do not own a television.
(d) They got over their hatred of him.
8. When did John leave Marion?
(a) When she started doing cocaine.
(b) When she was in nursing school.
(c) When she became preganant.
(d) When she wanted to get married.
9. According to Fay in Chapter 4, what did her mother spend all day doing after Taft's death?
(a) Folding his shirts.
(b) Sitting on the unfinished deck.
(c) Praying at their family church.
10. How often did John and Marion see each other after reuniting?
(a) Only during work hours.
(b) Four hours a day.
(d) All the time.
11. What does the Taft family do its first day in Memphis?
(b) Have s picnic.
(c) Go to church.
(d) Play baseball.
12. What is John's concern regarding his applicant in Chapter 1?
(a) They have a foreign accent.
(b) They seem too young.
(c) They have a criminal record.
(d) They cannot provide a proof of citizenship.
13. How old was Marion when she met John?
14. What does John decide was an pivotal event for Fay and Carl?
(a) Their father's death.
(b) Carl's turning to drugs.
(c) Moving to Memphis.
(d) The father losing his job.
15. In Chapter 6, how does Taft feel about visiting his in-laws?
(a) He dislikes it.
(b) He is the only one willing to do it.
(c) He looks forward to it.
(d) He is indifferent to it.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 5, what does Taft admonish Fay about?
2. In Chapter 1, what is John doing to fend off depression?
3. How did Fay's father die?
4. Who gets standoffish with John near the end of Chapter 4?
5. Where did Carl work after his father's death?
This section contains 433 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)