|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is obvious about Carl's disposition in Chapter 2?
(a) He is stoned.
(b) He is autistic.
(c) He is highly caffeinated.
(d) He is standoffish.
2. Who does John decide should handle the bar deposits in Chapter 4?
3. What does Taft wonder about his son in Chapter 5?
(a) If he can get a wrestling scholarship.
(b) If he will ever get a girlfriend.
(c) If he wants to leave home.
(d) If he is doing drugs.
4. What does the ranger in Chapter 4 warn Fay and John not to do before letting them into the battlefield?
(a) Get lost.
(b) Vandalize anything.
(d) Make too much noise.
5. Where did Fay work in Coalfield?
(a) Dairy Queen.
(d) Piggly Wiggly.
6. Which of the following is a location John and Fay check for Carl in Chapter 3?
(a) A pool hall.
(b) Rum Boogie Cafe.
(c) The bus depot.
(d) The emergency room.
7. In Chapter 6, what does Taft fear regarding his in-laws and his children?
(a) His children resent the in-laws.
(b) His in-laws want the children as surrogates.
(c) His in-laws are trying to convert his children to Catholicism.
(d) His children are stealing from his in-laws.
8. What tender gesture does John make toward Fay on the battlefield in Chapter 4?
(a) He holds her.
(b) He kisses her.
(c) He rubs her shoulders.
(d) He gives her his coat.
9. How old was Ruth when she kissed John?
10. What is Cyndi angling for in Chapter 4?
(a) Sex with John.
(b) Time off.
(c) A raise.
(d) Getting Fay fired.
11. Why is John angry at the beginning of Chapter 6?
(a) Fay hasn't shown up.
(b) Cyndi is drunk.
(c) Wallace is sick.
(d) The broiler is broken.
12. What does Taft feel his in-laws use against him?
(a) Their happy marriage.
(b) Their faith.
(c) Their worldliness.
(d) Their wealth.
13. Why does John admonish Eddie's father in Chapter 2?
(a) Eddie's father owes john money.
(b) Eddie's father is drunk.
(c) Eddie is not in school.
(d) Eddie has no shoes.
14. Where do Fay and John eventually find Carl in Chapter 3?
(a) The doorway of Muddy's.
(b) Out front of Fay's house.
(c) The woods behind Fay's house.
(d) A methadone clinic.
15. Who does the applicant in Chapter 1 remind John Nickel of?
(a) His father.
(c) Etta James.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does John refuse to do for Fay at the end of Chapter 3?
2. In Chapter 5, what does Mr. Woodmoore privately ask John to do?
3. Whom does John speak to on the phone in Chapter 2?
4. What question does Fay ask John that makes him uncomfortable in Chapter 5?
5. When does the battlefield close in Chapter 4?
This section contains 457 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)