|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does John tell Ruth to meet him in Chapter 6?
(a) Rum Boogie Cafe.
(c) His apartment.
2. In Chapter 4, John asks Cyndi if she would be comfortable doing what?
(a) Picking up Fay.
(b) Running the bar.
(c) Mixing cocktails.
(d) Running money to the bank.
3. What is obvious about Carl's disposition in Chapter 2?
(a) He is standoffish.
(b) He is autistic.
(c) He is highly caffeinated.
(d) He is stoned.
4. While giving Fay a tour of the bar in Chapter 2, John marvels what about Tennessee?
(a) It is so green.
(b) It is so diverse.
(c) It is so small.
(d) It is so poor.
5. What does John fixate on at the beginning of Chapter 4?
(a) Fay touching his neck.
(b) Carl almost dying.
(c) Franklin's voice.
(d) Cyndi's dancing.
6. What do the Woodmoores regularly try to convince Marion to do?
(a) Take some time off.
(b) Take John back.
(c) Get her doctorate.
(d) Share custody of Franklin with John.
7. With whom are Carl and Fay living in Memphis?
(b) Social services.
(c) Their aunt and uncle.
8. Who does John decide should handle the bar deposits in Chapter 4?
9. When did John leave Marion?
(a) When she wanted to get married.
(b) When she was in nursing school.
(c) When she became preganant.
(d) When she started doing cocaine.
10. While Cyndi is drunk in Chapter 3, she talks about her time where?
(b) New York.
11. What does John notice about Carl as he leaves the bar in Chapter 2?
(a) He can barely walk.
(b) He is skipping.
(c) He always walks behind Fay.
(d) He walks very straight and fast.
12. What singer does Cyndi put on in Chapter 3 that annoys John?
(a) David Bowie.
(b) Sam Cooke.
(d) Waylen Jennings.
13. Before leaving the Woodmoore's, what does John invite Ruth to do?
(a) Come with him to Miami.
(b) See a movie.
(c) Come to Muddy's.
(d) See a show.
14. What question does Fay ask John that makes him uncomfortable in Chapter 5?
(a) Whether he likes her.
(b) If he sees his son often.
(c) Whether he likes white people.
(d) If he is married.
15. When did John decide he wanted Marion back?
(a) When he saw his child.
(b) When he nearly died in a car crash.
(c) When Marion became pregnant.
(d) When his father died.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does John offer to drive Fay home in Chapter 3?
2. At the end of Chapter 4, John imagines Car and Taft doing what?
3. Why is John uncomfortable in Fay's neighborhood?
4. In Chapter 5, what does Taft admonish Fay about?
5. In Chapter 4, who tells John to pick up Fay?
This section contains 455 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)