|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What question does Fay ask John that makes him uncomfortable in Chapter 5?
(a) Whether he likes white people.
(b) If he is married.
(c) If he sees his son often.
(d) Whether he likes her.
2. What does John notice about Carl as he leaves the bar in Chapter 2?
(a) He walks very straight and fast.
(b) He is skipping.
(c) He can barely walk.
(d) He always walks behind Fay.
3. What is John's concern regarding his applicant in Chapter 1?
(a) They seem too young.
(b) They cannot provide a proof of citizenship.
(c) They have a foreign accent.
(d) They have a criminal record.
4. Where did Fay work in Coalfield?
(a) Piggly Wiggly.
(c) Dairy Queen.
5. Why can Fay only stay a work for a few hours in Chapter 6?
(a) Carl is in the hospital.
(b) She is feeling faint.
(c) It is her uncle's birthday.
(d) A tornado is coming.
6. In Chapter 5, what does Mr. Woodmoore say about Marion?
(a) She is developing an alcohol problem.
(b) She is unhappy.
(c) She is pregnant again.
(d) She never calls anymore.
7. Before leaving the Woodmoore's, what does John invite Ruth to do?
(a) See a show.
(b) Come with him to Miami.
(c) See a movie.
(d) Come to Muddy's.
8. In Chapter 6, what does John tell the Woodmoores about his interest in Ruth?
(a) He wants her to fix his sound system.
(b) He wants her to join him for dinner.
(c) He wants her to see a band with him.
(d) He wants her to help him pick out a new suit.
9. Who is teaching Fay a new skill at Muddy's in Chapter 5?
10. Which of the following is a location John and Fay check for Carl in Chapter 3?
(a) The emergency room.
(b) Rum Boogie Cafe.
(c) A pool hall.
(d) The bus depot.
11. Where does John tell Ruth to meet him in Chapter 6?
(a) His apartment.
(b) Rum Boogie Cafe.
12. What does John always bring with him to dinner with the Woodmoores?
(a) A copy of the newspaper.
(b) A bottle of wine.
(c) A box of cigarettes.
(d) A pecan pie.
13. Who apologizes to John before he leaves to pick up Fay in Chapter 4?
14. How is the weather when John arrives at the Woodmoore house in Chapter 5?
(a) It is unseasonably warm.
(b) It is raining.
(c) It is cool and clear.
(d) It is snowing.
15. Who is Virginia?
(a) Ruth's daughter.
(b) Taft's wife.
(c) Carl's girlfriend.
(d) John's sister.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old does Fay admit to being in Chapter 6?
2. How old was Marion when she met John?
3. What tender gesture does John make toward Fay on the battlefield in Chapter 4?
4. What sport was Carl a star of?
5. What business in Memphis does Fay's uncle run?
This section contains 456 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)