|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Fay in Chapter 4, what did her mother spend all day doing after Taft's death?
(a) Folding his shirts.
(b) Praying at their family church.
(d) Sitting on the unfinished deck.
2. Who does John Nickel imagine as he walks through Fay's house?
(b) Her father.
(c) His brother.
3. why is Lily annoyed at Carl during the visit in Chapter 6?
(a) He is high.
(b) He won't eat.
(c) He curses regularly.
(d) He goes to sleep early.
4. While Cyndi is drunk in Chapter 3, she talks about her time where?
(d) New York.
5. Which of the following is a location John and Fay check for Carl in Chapter 3?
(a) Rum Boogie Cafe.
(b) The emergency room.
(c) A pool hall.
(d) The bus depot.
6. In Chapter 4, John asks Cyndi if she would be comfortable doing what?
(a) Mixing cocktails.
(b) Running money to the bank.
(c) Picking up Fay.
(d) Running the bar.
7. What do the Woodmoores regularly try to convince Marion to do?
(a) Share custody of Franklin with John.
(b) Take some time off.
(c) Get her doctorate.
(d) Take John back.
8. How old was Ruth when she kissed John?
9. Where is Budd Woodmoore stationed?
10. How often did John and Marion see each other after reuniting?
(a) Only during work hours.
(b) Four hours a day.
(c) All the time.
11. What is Rose's job at Muddy's?
12. What rule does John have about drinking?
(a) Never in his own bar.
(c) Never mix.
(d) Never more than one a night.
13. What does Taft feel his in-laws use against him?
(a) Their happy marriage.
(b) Their wealth.
(c) Their faith.
(d) Their worldliness.
14. Who apologizes to John before he leaves to pick up Fay in Chapter 4?
15. In Chapter 6, how does Taft feel about visiting his in-laws?
(a) He dislikes it.
(b) He looks forward to it.
(c) He is indifferent to it.
(d) He is the only one willing to do it.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom are Carl and Fay living in Memphis?
2. What business in Memphis does Fay's uncle run?
3. What is John's concern regarding his applicant in Chapter 1?
4. Why does Taft stop working on the deck early in Chapter 5?
5. At the beginning of Chapter 3, what does John decide he will do if Franklin wants to visit?
This section contains 434 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)