|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does John refuse to do for Fay at the end of Chapter 3?
(a) Kiss her.
(b) Tell her about his son.
(c) Give her a raise.
(d) Take her back to his apartment.
2. Where did Fay work in Coalfield?
(b) Dairy Queen.
(c) Piggly Wiggly.
3. Why does John give up admonishing Eddie's father in Chapter 2?
(a) He is too hung over.
(b) He may have a gun.
(c) He is running late for an appointment.
(d) She isn't listening.
4. What makes Taft uncomfortable about Memphis in Chapter 6?
(a) The number of bars.
(b) The poverty.
(c) The black people.
(d) The scantily clad women.
5. What does John notice about Carl as he leaves the bar in Chapter 2?
(a) He walks very straight and fast.
(b) He can barely walk.
(c) He is skipping.
(d) He always walks behind Fay.
6. When did John decide he wanted Marion back?
(a) When he saw his child.
(b) When he nearly died in a car crash.
(c) When his father died.
(d) When Marion became pregnant.
7. How old does Fay admit to being in Chapter 6?
(a) Almost 22.
(b) Almost 16.
(c) Almost 18.
(d) Almost 20.
8. What do Ruth and John do after meeting in Chapter 6?
(a) Talk about Franklin.
(b) Call Marion.
(c) Have sex.
(d) Get high together.
9. What injury did Tommy Lawson suffer at work?
(a) He lost two fingers.
(b) He turned an ankle.
(c) He developed lupus.
(d) He suffered a concussion.
10. At the beginning of Chapter 3, what does John decide he will do if Franklin wants to visit?
(a) Buy him a bicycle.
(b) Take some weeks off.
(c) Go back with him to Miami.
(d) Ask Marion to join them.
11. How does Ruth treat Fay in Chapter 6?
(a) She asks her about her brother.
(b) She ribs her.
(c) She ignores her.
(d) She commiserates with her.
12. In Chapter 5, what does Taft admonish Fay about?
(a) Staying out late.
(b) Eating too much.
(d) Almost failing a test.
13. Who does John Nickel imagine as he walks through Fay's house?
(b) His brother.
(d) Her father.
14. What is Mr. Woodmoore's career?
(a) Automotive engineer.
(d) Tugboat captain.
15. Which battlefield do Fay and Fay think to visit in Chapter 4?
(c) Cold Harbor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Cyndi angling for in Chapter 4?
2. What is Levon Taft's day job?
3. What does Carl say to John at the end of Chapter 5?
4. Who gets standoffish with John near the end of Chapter 4?
5. Who is Virginia?
This section contains 420 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)