|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 5, what does Mr. Woodmoore privately ask John to do?
(a) Compliment Mrs. Woodmoore's cooking.
(b) Visit Miami.
(c) Call Marion.
(d) Take Ruth out for a night.
2. What do John and Fay look at immediately upon entering the battlefield in Chapter 4?
(a) A statue.
(b) The highest hill.
(c) The woods.
3. In Chapter 6, what does Taft fear regarding his in-laws and his children?
(a) His in-laws want the children as surrogates.
(b) His children resent the in-laws.
(c) His in-laws are trying to convert his children to Catholicism.
(d) His children are stealing from his in-laws.
4. Why does Taft stop working on the deck early in Chapter 5?
(a) He is having chest pains.
(b) He is too tired.
(c) Fay needs a ride.
(d) Carl storms off.
5. How is Franklin hurt at the end of Chapter 1?
(a) He fall off a ledge.
(b) He sprains his ankle.
(c) He scrapes his knee.
(d) He cuts his face.
6. Who threatened John when he visited Franklin in the nursery for the first time?
(b) Mrs. Woodmoore.
(d) Mr. Woodmoore.
7. With whom are Carl and Fay living in Memphis?
(a) Social services.
(c) Their aunt and uncle.
8. Which of the following relatives does John not see through the window with Fay in Chapter 6?
(a) Her mother.
(b) Her cousin.
(c) Her uncle.
9. Where do Fay and John eventually find Carl in Chapter 3?
(a) The woods behind Fay's house.
(b) The doorway of Muddy's.
(c) Out front of Fay's house.
(d) A methadone clinic.
10. In Chapter 1, what is John doing to fend off depression?
(a) Buys a dog.
(b) Going to movies.
(c) Working long hours.
(d) Drinking heavily.
11. Why does John feel awful in the morning of Chapter 2?
(a) He did not sleep.
(b) He is getting a cold.
(c) He fell asleep in a chair.
(d) He drank too much.
12. Who approaches John Nickel about a job at the beginning of Chapter 1?
13. How did Fay's father die?
(a) Heart failure.
(b) A car accident.
(c) Pancreatic cancer.
(d) A stroke.
14. Why does John admonish Eddie's father in Chapter 2?
(a) Eddie's father owes john money.
(b) Eddie is not in school.
(c) Eddie's father is drunk.
(d) Eddie has no shoes.
15. Whom does John speak to on the phone in Chapter 2?
(c) Mrs. Woodmore.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 1, what does John Nickel say he will probably never do again?
2. At the end of Chapter 4, John imagines Car and Taft doing what?
3. What business in Memphis does Fay's uncle run?
4. In Chapter 3, John notices that Carl does not have what?
5. Who gets standoffish with John near the end of Chapter 4?
This section contains 448 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)