|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 4, John asks Cyndi if she would be comfortable doing what?
(a) Running money to the bank.
(b) Mixing cocktails.
(c) Picking up Fay.
(d) Running the bar.
2. What question does Fay ask John that makes him uncomfortable in Chapter 5?
(a) Whether he likes her.
(b) If he sees his son often.
(c) Whether he likes white people.
(d) If he is married.
3. What does John fixate on at the beginning of Chapter 4?
(a) Cyndi's dancing.
(b) Carl almost dying.
(c) Franklin's voice.
(d) Fay touching his neck.
4. What does Taft feel his in-laws use against him?
(a) Their happy marriage.
(b) Their faith.
(c) Their worldliness.
(d) Their wealth.
5. Who apologizes to John before he leaves to pick up Fay in Chapter 4?
6. Where do Fay and John eventually find Carl in Chapter 3?
(a) The woods behind Fay's house.
(b) A methadone clinic.
(c) The doorway of Muddy's.
(d) Out front of Fay's house.
7. How often did John and Marion see each other after reuniting?
(a) Four hours a day.
(b) All the time.
(d) Only during work hours.
8. In Chapter 5, what still amazes John about the Woodmoores?
(a) They never speak to Marion.
(b) They got over their hatred of him.
(c) They do not own a television.
(d) They still call him James.
9. What does Taft wonder about his son in Chapter 5?
(a) If he will ever get a girlfriend.
(b) If he can get a wrestling scholarship.
(c) If he is doing drugs.
(d) If he wants to leave home.
10. In Chapter 5, why does John state he is indebted to Ruth?
(a) She convinced Marion to return to Memphis.
(b) She lent him a few hundred dollars.
(c) She stuck by him in the bad days.
(d) She never missed one of his shows.
11. In Chapter 4, who tells John to pick up Fay?
12. Which of the following relatives does John not see through the window with Fay in Chapter 6?
(a) Her uncle.
(b) Her mother.
(c) Her cousin.
13. In Chapter 6, what does Ruth insist about John's drumming?
(a) He was overrated.
(b) He could have been professional.
(c) He was better on trumpet.
(d) He was underutilized by his band.
14. How is Franklin hurt at the end of Chapter 1?
(a) He sprains his ankle.
(b) He cuts his face.
(c) He fall off a ledge.
(d) He scrapes his knee.
15. What does John refuse to do for Fay at the end of Chapter 3?
(a) Tell her about his son.
(b) Give her a raise.
(c) Kiss her.
(d) Take her back to his apartment.
Short Answer Questions
1. What singer does Cyndi put on in Chapter 3 that annoys John?
2. In Chapter 6, how does Taft feel about visiting his in-laws?
3. Who is Virginia?
4. What injury did Tommy Lawson suffer at work?
5. In Chapter 5, Ruth has just moved back to Memphis from where?
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)