|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is John's concern regarding his applicant in Chapter 1?
(a) They have a foreign accent.
(b) They seem too young.
(c) They cannot provide a proof of citizenship.
(d) They have a criminal record.
2. With whom are Carl and Fay living in Memphis?
(b) Their aunt and uncle.
(c) Social services.
3. Why is John angry at the beginning of Chapter 6?
(a) Wallace is sick.
(b) Cyndi is drunk.
(c) The broiler is broken.
(d) Fay hasn't shown up.
4. Where does Fay kiss John in Chapter 6?
(a) In the kitchen.
(b) By his car.
(c) In her uncle's house.
(d) All of the above.
5. What business in Memphis does Fay's uncle run?
(a) Citizen's Bank and Trust.
(b) Martin-Quick Pharmacy.
(c) Shnucks Grocery.
(d) Mr. Bojangles.
6. What did Marion demand in return for moving back in with John?
(a) They move out of Memphis.
(b) He pay her way through school.
(c) They get married.
(d) He give up drumming forever.
7. While giving Fay a tour of the bar in Chapter 2, John marvels what about Tennessee?
(a) It is so diverse.
(b) It is so poor.
(c) It is so small.
(d) It is so green.
8. Who does the applicant in Chapter 1 remind John Nickel of?
(c) Etta James.
(d) His father.
9. What is Carl wearing in Chapter 6?
(a) A Titan's jersey.
(b) His father's suit.
(c) His wrestling shirt.
(d) A wife-beater.
10. What does John fixate on at the beginning of Chapter 4?
(a) Franklin's voice.
(b) Carl almost dying.
(c) Cyndi's dancing.
(d) Fay touching his neck.
11. Why does John feel awful in the morning of Chapter 2?
(a) He fell asleep in a chair.
(b) He drank too much.
(c) He is getting a cold.
(d) He did not sleep.
12. Which of the following relatives does John not see through the window with Fay in Chapter 6?
(b) Her mother.
(c) Her uncle.
(d) Her cousin.
13. Who approaches John Nickel about a job at the beginning of Chapter 1?
14. What makes Taft uncomfortable about Memphis in Chapter 6?
(a) The scantily clad women.
(b) The black people.
(c) The poverty.
(d) The number of bars.
15. Who does John decide should handle the bar deposits in Chapter 4?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is obvious about Carl's disposition in Chapter 2?
2. When did John decide he wanted Marion back?
3. What does John decide was an pivotal event for Fay and Carl?
4. What is Mr. Woodmoore's career?
5. How old was Marion when she met John?
This section contains 425 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)