|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does John admonish Eddie's father in Chapter 2?
(a) Eddie's father owes john money.
(b) Eddie is not in school.
(c) Eddie's father is drunk.
(d) Eddie has no shoes.
2. Before leaving the Woodmoore's, what does John invite Ruth to do?
(a) Come with him to Miami.
(b) Come to Muddy's.
(c) See a movie.
(d) See a show.
3. Whom does John speak to on the phone in Chapter 2?
(a) Mrs. Woodmore.
4. At the Rum Boogie Cafe, John is certain he will have sex with a woman despite what?
(a) She is married.
(b) She is white.
(c) She is sober.
(d) She dislikes him.
5. What does John refuse to do for Fay at the end of Chapter 3?
(a) Take her back to his apartment.
(b) Tell her about his son.
(c) Kiss her.
(d) Give her a raise.
6. Who threatened John when he visited Franklin in the nursery for the first time?
(a) Mr. Woodmoore.
(c) Mrs. Woodmoore.
7. What is Rose's job at Muddy's?
8. When does the battlefield close in Chapter 4?
(b) 4 p.m.
(c) It is open 24 hours.
9. How does John know the woman at Rum Boogie Cafe?
(a) She is a regular at Muddy's.
(b) She is a nurse.
(c) She is Marion's cousin.
(d) She is a alderwoman.
10. What do the Woodmoores regularly try to convince Marion to do?
(a) Take John back.
(b) Get her doctorate.
(c) Share custody of Franklin with John.
(d) Take some time off.
11. why is Lily annoyed at Carl during the visit in Chapter 6?
(a) He curses regularly.
(b) He won't eat.
(c) He is high.
(d) He goes to sleep early.
12. Where do Taft's in-laws live?
(c) St. Louis.
13. What is John's concern regarding his applicant in Chapter 1?
(a) They have a criminal record.
(b) They have a foreign accent.
(c) They cannot provide a proof of citizenship.
(d) They seem too young.
14. What did Marion demand in return for moving back in with John?
(a) He give up drumming forever.
(b) They get married.
(c) They move out of Memphis.
(d) He pay her way through school.
15. Why is John uncomfortable in Fay's neighborhood?
(a) It is known for gang violence.
(b) It is in a dry county.
(c) It is affluent and white.
(d) It is outside of town.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 4, Taft jokes with Fay before what?
2. In Chapter 4, who tells John to pick up Fay?
3. How old does Fay admit to being in Chapter 6?
4. Why is John angry at the beginning of Chapter 6?
5. In Chapter 5, what still amazes John about the Woodmoores?
This section contains 456 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)