|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Taft feel his in-laws use against him?
(a) Their worldliness.
(b) Their faith.
(c) Their wealth.
(d) Their happy marriage.
2. When did John decide he wanted Marion back?
(a) When Marion became pregnant.
(b) When his father died.
(c) When he saw his child.
(d) When he nearly died in a car crash.
3. Where do Taft's in-laws live?
(a) St. Louis.
4. What do Ruth and John do after meeting in Chapter 6?
(a) Have sex.
(b) Get high together.
(c) Call Marion.
(d) Talk about Franklin.
5. How is Franklin hurt at the end of Chapter 1?
(a) He sprains his ankle.
(b) He scrapes his knee.
(c) He cuts his face.
(d) He fall off a ledge.
6. What does John fixate on at the beginning of Chapter 4?
(a) Carl almost dying.
(b) Cyndi's dancing.
(c) Franklin's voice.
(d) Fay touching his neck.
7. At the Rum Boogie Cafe, John is certain he will have sex with a woman despite what?
(a) She is sober.
(b) She is married.
(c) She is white.
(d) She dislikes him.
8. In Chapter 4, Taft jokes with Fay before what?
(a) He goes to sleep.
(b) They go to church.
(c) She goes on a date.
(d) They leave fro Memphis.
9. Who is teaching Fay a new skill at Muddy's in Chapter 5?
10. What was Fay's mother's occupation before her husband's death?
11. In Chapter 5, When is Marion planning to bring Franklin to Memphis?
(a) During summer vacation.
(b) At Thanksgiving.
(c) At Christmas.
(d) Over spring break.
12. Where do Fay and John eventually find Carl in Chapter 3?
(a) The doorway of Muddy's.
(b) The woods behind Fay's house.
(c) A methadone clinic.
(d) Out front of Fay's house.
13. How old was Marion when she met John?
14. In Chapter 3, John notices that Carl does not have what?
(a) All of his fingers.
(b) A drug of choice.
(c) A favorite football team.
(d) His own car.
15. Who does John Nickel imagine as he walks through Fay's house?
(a) His brother.
(b) Her father.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 5, Ruth has just moved back to Memphis from where?
2. Who threatened John when he visited Franklin in the nursery for the first time?
3. Why does John feel awful in the morning of Chapter 2?
4. What tender gesture does John make toward Fay on the battlefield in Chapter 4?
5. What does John refuse to do for Fay at the end of Chapter 3?
This section contains 428 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)