Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Agathon, who can love capture?
2. Who does Socrates refer to as an example of a remembered writer?
3. Where does Diotima think that Love sleeps?
4. How does Agathon compare love with other desires?
5. How does Diotima think a young person should interact with beautiful minds?
Explain the possible controversy of Pausanias' speech as it might be interpreted today by detailing his views on relationships and the laws that govern them. Include an analysis of the differences in time period, why Pausanias might have made this type of speech, and whether the practices he endorses are acceptable.
Describe the parallels between love and music that Eryximachus makes in his speech. Include several examples of how love and music are similar and why Eryximachus uses music as an effective metaphor in analyzing the way that love works.
Compare and contrast the different speeches given at the Symposium.
1) Analyze the similarities between Socrates' speech and Eryximachus' speech as well as what the main difference was between the two.
2) Explain which speeches had the most differences and why.
3) Describe the speech or speeches that you think made the most sense and/or contained the most important information.
This section contains 268 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)