|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what military campaign do Socrates and Alcibiades participate?
2. What complaint does the drunken Alcibiades have at the end of Part 7?
3. How does Socrates view people in Alcibiades' view?
4. In the example Socrates provides, what city's laws are "fathered" by Solon?
5. As explained by Alcibiades, how does Socrates make him feel?
Essay Topic 1
Explain the possible controversy of Pausanias' speech as it might be interpreted today by detailing his views on relationships and the laws that govern them. Include an analysis of the differences in time period, why Pausanias might have made this type of speech, and whether the practices he endorses are acceptable.
Essay Topic 2
Explain how the subject of love is decided as the main topic for the speeches given at the Symposium. Be sure to include whose idea it was, how it was suggested, how the guests and Socrates, in particular, respond, and what conditions were agreed upon before the speeches begin.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the different speeches given at the Symposium.
1) Analyze the similarities between Socrates' speech and Eryximachus' speech as well as what the main difference was between the two.
2) Explain which speeches had the most differences and why.
3) Describe the speech or speeches that you think made the most sense and/or contained the most important information.
This section contains 1,447 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)