|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Alcibiades, what type of music are Socrates' speeches comparable to?
2. What part of Agathon's speech does Socrates compliment?
3. According to Diotima, how many people does a young person eventually become attracted to?
4. How many kinds of Love are there, according to Diotima?
5. How does Diotima define a spirit?
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the different speeches given at the Symposium.
1) Analyze the similarities between Socrates' speech and Eryximachus' speech as well as what the main difference was between the two.
2) Explain which speeches had the most differences and why.
3) Describe the speech or speeches that you think made the most sense and/or contained the most important information.
Essay Topic 2
After a brief argument with Socrates, Agathon gives his speech.
1) Explain how Agathon disagrees with Phaedrus.
2) Describe what the characteristics of love are, according to Agathon.
3) Explain how Agathon's reputation for being a playwright might have influenced his thoughts and views about love.
4) Describe the effect that love can have on people as they are given in Agathon's speech.
Essay Topic 3
Explain how the subject of love is decided as the main topic for the speeches given at the Symposium. Be sure to include whose idea it was, how it was suggested, how the guests and Socrates, in particular, respond, and what conditions were agreed upon before the speeches begin.
This section contains 1,419 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)