Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Agathon, who can love capture?
2. Who does Socrates refer to as an example of a remembered writer?
3. Where does Diotima think that Love sleeps?
4. How does Agathon compare love with other desires?
5. How does Diotima think a young person should interact with beautiful minds?
Essay Topic 1
Apollodorus introduces an interesting notion about the way philosophers and rich people view each other.
1) Describe Apollodorus' general opinion of people and how he got his nickname.
2) Explain why he pities rich men and the reasons why he thinks they also pity him.
3) Analyze how the story might be affected be being told by someone with Apollodorus' views on life.
Essay Topic 2
The main function and purpose of love is explained by Socrates at the end of his speech.
1) Analyze Socrates' theory on love's main purpose and the way he thinks that it can lead humans to immortality.
2) Describe the practice of higher learning that Diotima taught Socrates, how a person can become a philosopher, and the important realization they need to make along the way.
3) Explain Socrates' ideas about pregnancy and the way people are remembered, including the examples that he provides.
4) Describe the "hypothesis of the higher hypothesis" by Socrates and the way it relates to the true power of love.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the parallels between love and music that Eryximachus makes in his speech. Include several examples of how love and music are similar and why Eryximachus uses music as an effective metaphor in analyzing the way that love works.
This section contains 326 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)