Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Agathon, who can love capture?
2. Who does Socrates refer to as an example of a remembered writer?
3. Where does Diotima think that Love sleeps?
4. How does Agathon compare love with other desires?
5. How does Diotima think a young person should interact with beautiful minds?
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the entire Socrates-Agathon-Alcibiades escapade that occurs at the end of the story by including the following:
1) Explain the past events of Socrates and Alcibiades, including the effect Socrates has on Alcibiades, the failed advances that Alcibiades makes, and the descriptions he gives about Socrates.
2) Summarize the intentions and main ideas of Alcibiades' speech and the accusation he makes against Socrates.
3) Describe Socrates' response to Alcibiades, the way he exposes his plan, and the actions of both Socrates and Agathon after the speech is finished.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the parallels between love and music that Eryximachus makes in his speech. Include several examples of how love and music are similar and why Eryximachus uses music as an effective metaphor in analyzing the way that love works.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the possible controversy of Pausanias' speech as it might be interpreted today by detailing his views on relationships and the laws that govern them. Include an analysis of the differences in time period, why Pausanias might have made this type of speech, and whether the practices he endorses are acceptable.
This section contains 301 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)