|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Agathon, who can love capture?
2. Who does Socrates refer to as an example of a remembered writer?
3. Where does Diotima think that Love sleeps?
4. How does Agathon compare love with other desires?
5. How does Diotima think a young person should interact with beautiful minds?
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the different speeches given at the Symposium.
1) Analyze the similarities between Socrates' speech and Eryximachus' speech as well as what the main difference was between the two.
2) Explain which speeches had the most differences and why.
3) Describe the speech or speeches that you think made the most sense and/or contained the most important information.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the parallels between love and music that Eryximachus makes in his speech. Include several examples of how love and music are similar and why Eryximachus uses music as an effective metaphor in analyzing the way that love works.
Essay Topic 3
Apollodorus introduces an interesting notion about the way philosophers and rich people view each other.
1) Describe Apollodorus' general opinion of people and how he got his nickname.
2) Explain why he pities rich men and the reasons why he thinks they also pity him.
3) Analyze how the story might be affected be being told by someone with Apollodorus' views on life.
This section contains 1,431 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)