Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Agathon, who can love capture?
2. Who does Socrates refer to as an example of a remembered writer?
3. Where does Diotima think that Love sleeps?
4. How does Agathon compare love with other desires?
5. How does Diotima think a young person should interact with beautiful minds?
Essay Topic 1
After a brief argument with Socrates, Agathon gives his speech.
1) Explain how Agathon disagrees with Phaedrus.
2) Describe what the characteristics of love are, according to Agathon.
3) Explain how Agathon's reputation for being a playwright might have influenced his thoughts and views about love.
4) Describe the effect that love can have on people as they are given in Agathon's speech.
Essay Topic 2
Diotima teaches Socrates about love and Socrates relates what he has learned to the guests at the Symposium.
1) Describe the definition of love that Socrates begins his speech with, as well as how he reached his opinion.
2) Discuss what Socrates thinks the characteristics of love are, along with why and how they contradict Agathon's speech.
3) Explain the reasons why Socrates believes that love is a spirit.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the different speeches given at the Symposium.
1) Analyze the similarities between Socrates' speech and Eryximachus' speech as well as what the main difference was between the two.
2) Explain which speeches had the most differences and why.
3) Describe the speech or speeches that you think made the most sense and/or contained the most important information.
This section contains 309 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)