|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Alcibiades claim that Socrates assaulted him?
(c) He does not claim that Socrates assaulted him.
2. In Socrates' speech, how does he describe someone who searches for wisdom?
(c) Neither wise nor ignorant.
(d) In between wise and ignorant.
3. Which one of the following is not listed by Socrates as an idea that can be transmitted through love?
4. Why does Diotima think Love is not a god?
(a) Love cannot create things.
(b) Love cannot understand the language of the Gods.
(c) Love can die quickly.
(d) Love cannot make laws.
5. According to Socrates, which love helps a philosopher reproduce an idea?
(a) The love of beauty.
(b) The love of generosity.
(c) The love of intelligence.
(d) The love of patience.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what does Socrates give Agathon credit?
2. What example does Socrates use as a tale that has lived throughout generations?
3. According to Agathon, what effect does love have on bad things?
4. Which one of the following is not used by Diotima to describe Love?
5. According to Socrates, what is the lover directed towards?
Short Essay Questions
1. What accusation does Alcibiades make against Socrates and why?
2. Who is Diotima and what is significant about the experience Socrates had with her?
3. What does Socrates think the function of love is?
4. What are the statues of Silenus and why does Alcibiades include them in his speech?
5. How does Agathon describe love?
6. What is the purpose of the questions that Socrates asks Agathon at the beginning of his speech and on what point do they agree?
7. How does Agathon disagree with Phaedrus in the beginning of his speech and why?
8. How does Diotima help Socrates understand how a person can become a philosopher through love?
9. As explained by Socrates, what is the confusing part of love and what are some of the different kinds of love that exist?
10. What does love have the power to do, according to Agathon?
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)