|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Agathon explains, where does love bring people together?
(a) The battlefield.
(c) Anywhere and everywhere.
2. Which one of the following is not listed by Socrates as an idea that can be transmitted through love?
3. As explained by Diotima, how many people is a young person initially attracted to?
4. According to Diotima, how many people does a young person eventually become attracted to?
5. According to Socrates, what is the lover directed towards?
(a) What he or she will never understand.
(b) What he or she does not have.
(c) What he or she already has.
(d) What he or she does not understand.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Diotima compare Love to in explaining its features?
2. How does Diotima think women are helped to give birth?
3. Why does Diotima think Love is not a god?
4. According to Alcibiades, what tactic does not work with Socrates?
5. What does Socrates ironically state his speech is about?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Socrates think the function of love is?
2. How does Agathon describe love?
3. What are the statues of Silenus and why does Alcibiades include them in his speech?
4. At the conclusion of his speech, what does Socrates states is the true power or purpose of love?
5. What events does Alcibiades describe in his speech, and how do they show that Socrates cannot be bribed?
6. How does Diotima help Socrates understand how a person can become a philosopher through love?
7. What examples does Socrates provide of what men can leave behind?
8. According to Socrates, what is the origin of love?
9. Why does Socrates think that love is a spirit?
10. What is Alcibiades' condition when he interrupts the party, and what does he encourage the other guests to do?
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)