|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Socrates tell Alcibiades about his political efforts?
(a) He needs to better himself before continuing with politics.
(b) He needs to quit politics.
(c) He does not understand politics enough.
(d) He is not effective in politics.
2. How does Agathon describe love?
(a) The weakest of the gods.
(b) The eldest of the gods.
(c) The youngest of the gods.
(d) The strongest of the gods.
3. What does Diotima tell Socrates about Love's function?
(a) It allows the wise to feel ignorant.
(b) It allows the ignorant to feel wise.
(c) It allows humans to understand immortality.
(d) It allows humans to taste immortality.
4. In the example Socrates provides, what city's laws are "fathered" by Solon?
5. According to Diotima, who is Love's mother?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which one of the following is not included in Diotima's list of things that spirits help with?
2. As explained to Socrates by Diotima, what event brings Love's mother and father together?
3. For what does Socrates give Agathon credit?
4. What complaint does the drunken Alcibiades have at the end of Part 7?
5. In Diotima's opinion, what is the confusing point of Love?
Short Essay Questions
1. What accusation does Alcibiades make against Socrates and why?
2. As explained by Socrates, what is the confusing part of love and what are some of the different kinds of love that exist?
3. What is the definition that Socrates gives of love?
4. What is the purpose of the questions that Socrates asks Agathon at the beginning of his speech and on what point do they agree?
5. What events does Alcibiades describe in his speech, and how do they show that Socrates cannot be bribed?
6. According to Socrates, what is the origin of love?
7. What are the statues of Silenus and why does Alcibiades include them in his speech?
8. What does Socrates think the function of love is?
9. What is Alcibiades' condition when he interrupts the party, and what does he encourage the other guests to do?
10. How does Agathon disagree with Phaedrus in the beginning of his speech and why?
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)