|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Diotima think Love is not a god?
(a) Love cannot understand the language of the Gods.
(b) Love cannot make laws.
(c) Love can die quickly.
(d) Love cannot create things.
2. What general definition of Love does Diotima provide?
(a) The desire to have the good forever.
(b) The desire to have the bad temporarily.
(c) The desire to have both good or bad.
(d) The desire to have neither good nor bad.
3. How does Agathon compare love with other desires?
(a) It is the weakest desire.
(b) It is one of the strongest desires.
(c) It is the strongest desire.
(d) It is one of the weakest desires.
4. How many kinds of Love are there, according to Diotima?
(b) Very few.
5. For what does Socrates give Agathon credit?
(a) Giving such a broad definition of love.
(b) Recommending love to everyone.
(c) Giving such a detailed definition of love.
(d) Recommending love to only those who deserve it.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Socrates refer to as an example of a remembered writer?
2. According to Diotima's explanation, what will beasts die to protect?
3. According to Alcibiades, what tactic does not work with Socrates?
4. What is the source of the Platonic Dialogues?
5. Which one of the following is not included in the things Agathon thinks are associated with love?
This section contains 253 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)