|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What complaint does the drunken Alcibiades have at the end of Part 7?
(a) That there is no more wine.
(b) That Socrates is wiser than him.
(c) That Socrates is sneaking up on him.
(d) That he missed Socrates' speech.
2. What is the source of the Platonic Dialogues?
(a) The conversations between Socrates and strangers.
(b) The mentoring of young minds by Socrates.
(c) The mentoring of other philosophers by Socrates.
(d) The conversations between Socrates and friends.
3. As explained by Diotima, how many people is a young person initially attracted to?
4. In what military campaign do Socrates and Alcibiades participate?
5. For what does Socrates give Agathon credit?
(a) Recommending love to only those who deserve it.
(b) Recommending love to everyone.
(c) Giving such a detailed definition of love.
(d) Giving such a broad definition of love.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Alcibiades claim that Socrates assaulted him?
2. In Agathon's opinion, how does love win?
3. Which one of the following is not included in Diotima's list of things that spirits help with?
4. According to Alcibiades, what are Socrates' claims that he knows nothing?
5. How does Diotima think a young person should interact with beautiful minds?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the purpose of the questions that Socrates asks Agathon at the beginning of his speech and on what point do they agree?
2. What accusation does Alcibiades make against Socrates and why?
3. Why does Socrates think that love is a spirit?
4. How does Diotima help Socrates understand how a person can become a philosopher through love?
5. Who is Diotima and what is significant about the experience Socrates had with her?
6. What is Alcibiades' condition when he interrupts the party, and what does he encourage the other guests to do?
7. What are the statues of Silenus and why does Alcibiades include them in his speech?
8. How does Agathon disagree with Phaedrus in the beginning of his speech and why?
9. What is the definition that Socrates gives of love?
10. What suggestion does Alcibiades make, why does Socrates object to it, and how does Alcibiades convince him to allow it?
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)