|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What complaint does the drunken Alcibiades have at the end of Part 7?
(a) That he missed Socrates' speech.
(b) That there is no more wine.
(c) That Socrates is wiser than him.
(d) That Socrates is sneaking up on him.
2. In Diotima's opinion, what is the confusing point of Love?
(a) It is what the lover might or might not feel.
(b) It is what the lover cannot feel.
(c) It is what the lover feels.
(d) It is what the lover should not feel.
3. How does Socrates view people in Alcibiades' view?
(a) He does not care if they are beautiful or rich.
(b) He does not care if they are beautiful, as long as they are rich.
(c) He prefers them to be both beautiful and rich.
(d) He does not care if they are rich, as long as they are beautiful.
4. In the example Socrates provides, what city's laws are "fathered" by Solon?
5. According to Diotima, who is Love's mother?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Alcibiades claim that Socrates assaulted him?
2. As explained by Socrates, what is the drive for immortality related to?
3. In Diotima's opinion, what does a potential philosopher learn about beautiful minds?
4. Who does Alcibiades compare Socrates to in his speech?
5. What part of Agathon's speech does Socrates compliment?
Short Essay Questions
1. What suggestion does Alcibiades make, why does Socrates object to it, and how does Alcibiades convince him to allow it?
2. Who is Diotima and what is significant about the experience Socrates had with her?
3. How does Socrates' theory of passing on knowledge apply to his own life?
4. What accusation does Alcibiades make against Socrates and why?
5. How does Agathon describe love?
6. What examples does Socrates provide of what men can leave behind?
7. What does Socrates think the function of love is?
8. At the conclusion of his speech, what does Socrates states is the true power or purpose of love?
9. What is the purpose of the questions that Socrates asks Agathon at the beginning of his speech and on what point do they agree?
10. How can men become "pregnant," according to Socrates?
This section contains 903 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)