|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Alcibiades request to listen to the story of his extreme actions with Socrates?
(a) No one.
(b) Only people who do not understand philosophy.
(c) Only people who understand philosophy.
2. How does Diotima think a young person should interact with beautiful minds?
(a) Only give ideas to them.
(b) Exchange knowledge and ideas with them.
(c) Only gain knowledge from them.
(d) Neither gain knowledge nor give ideas to them.
3. What complaint does the drunken Alcibiades have at the end of Part 7?
(a) That there is no more wine.
(b) That Socrates is wiser than him.
(c) That he missed Socrates' speech.
(d) That Socrates is sneaking up on him.
4. Who does Alcibiades compare Socrates to in his speech?
5. Where does Diotima think that Love sleeps?
(a) In the streets and fields.
(b) On a cloud.
(c) On the rocks and hills.
(d) In a bed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What characteristics does love have, according to Agathon?
2. How many kinds of Love are there, according to Diotima?
3. As Agathon explains, where does love bring people together?
4. What phrase does Socrates use to refer to the practice of learning?
5. In Socrates' speech, how does he describe someone who searches for wisdom?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Socrates think that love is a spirit?
2. What is Socrates' opinion of the speeches he has heard?
3. How can men become "pregnant," according to Socrates?
4. How does Agathon describe love?
5. As explained by Socrates, what is the confusing part of love and what are some of the different kinds of love that exist?
6. What are the statues of Silenus and why does Alcibiades include them in his speech?
7. How does Diotima help Socrates understand how a person can become a philosopher through love?
8. What is Alcibiades' condition when he interrupts the party, and what does he encourage the other guests to do?
9. Who is Diotima and what is significant about the experience Socrates had with her?
10. At the conclusion of his speech, what does Socrates states is the true power or purpose of love?
This section contains 931 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)