|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What part of Agathon's speech does Socrates compliment?
(a) The beginning.
(b) The middle.
(c) The ending.
(d) None of it.
2. Whose permission does Socrates seek before asking Agathon questions?
3. Which one of the following is not listed by Socrates as an idea that can be transmitted through love?
4. Who objects to the drinking taking place in Chapter 8?
5. What does Socrates think about the speeches he has just heard?
(a) They make no sense.
(b) They are too logical.
(c) They are filled with lies.
(d) They are filled with the truth.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which one of the following is not included in the things Agathon thinks are associated with love?
2. According to Diotima, who is Love's mother?
3. In Diotima's opinion, what is the confusing point of Love?
4. As explained by Alcibiades, how does Socrates make him feel?
5. How does Agathon describe love?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Alcibiades' condition when he interrupts the party, and what does he encourage the other guests to do?
2. What does love have the power to do, according to Agathon?
3. What suggestion does Alcibiades make, why does Socrates object to it, and how does Alcibiades convince him to allow it?
4. What is the purpose of the questions that Socrates asks Agathon at the beginning of his speech and on what point do they agree?
5. What examples does Socrates provide of what men can leave behind?
6. How does Agathon disagree with Phaedrus in the beginning of his speech and why?
7. What accusation does Alcibiades make against Socrates and why?
8. How does Socrates' theory of passing on knowledge apply to his own life?
9. What are the statues of Silenus and why does Alcibiades include them in his speech?
10. What does Socrates think the function of love is?
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)