|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 7, line 208a to 214a.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What phrase does Socrates use to refer to the practice of learning?
(a) The hypothesis of the higher hypothesis.
(b) The hypothesis of the changing hypothesis.
(c) The hypothesis of the forgotten hypothesis.
(d) The hypothesis of the remembered hypothesis.
2. Whose permission does Socrates seek before asking Agathon questions?
3. In Eryximachus' opinion, what is education in musical terms?
(a) The analysis of an existing composition.
(b) The correct performance of an existing composition.
(c) The criticism of new songs.
(d) The composition of new songs.
4. Why is Aristophanes unable to speak in his scheduled turn?
(a) He has the hiccups.
(b) He has disappeared.
(c) He is not finished eating.
(d) He cannot remember what he wanted to say.
5. Which one of the following is not an example that Eryximachus uses to describe the hostile elements?
(a) Hard and soft.
(b) Bitter and sweet.
(c) Moist and dry.
(d) Hot and cold.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Eryximachus define astronomy?
2. What part of Agathon's speech does Socrates compliment?
3. What does Eryximachus say about his omission of certain things in his speech?
4. What is the "art" that Eryximachus refers to as the inspiration for the ideas in his speech?
5. On what point do Socrates and Agathon agree?
This section contains 281 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)