|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year and month do some of the selves decide to break away from Sybil?
2. Does the author feel as though the story of Sybil is a moving tale?
3. As Dr. Wilbur researches multiple personality disorder, what does she realize?
4. After she gets well, why does Sybil feel rejected?
5. How many personalities go on Sybil and Dr. Wilbur's outing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are many children confused or uncomfortable with their parents having sex?
2. As therapy escalates, how does Sybil feel about her life?
3. As the novel begins, where does the reader find Sybil Isabel Dorsett?
4. What selves does Dr. Wilbur gradually meet as she and Sybil continue to meet?
5. Who is the author of the book and how does she come to write Sybil's book? As the author writes, what tone does she immediately take for the book?
6. As far as Sybil's treatment is concerned, what do Sybil's parents mostly question her about?
7. Explain Sybil's feelings concerning her meetings with Dr. Wilbur.
8. Describe Peggy Lou and how she is different from Sybil.
9. Sybil catches her parents having sex, and it scares her. Why does this severely scar Sybil?
10. Why is Sybil hesitant to share more of her feelings and life with Dr. Wilbur?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many deaths occur throughout the book. Death becomes a central theme and important part of Sybil's healing.
1. What does Sybil's grandmother's death cause?
2. How do the death of Hattie and Willard help to sure Sybil?
3. Throughout the book, why do the selves constantly fear for their survival in Sybil?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and Contrast one set of the following personalities:
1. Mike & Sid
2. Sybil Ann & Clara
3. Vicky & Nancy
4. Vanessa & Mary
Essay Topic 3
In what ways does Sybil resemble her mother?
How can the two women have similarities after the treatment Hattie inflicted upon Sybil? How does this resemblance negatively affect Sybil?
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)