|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Does Lord Ferris recognize Alec when he sees him at the Duchess's?
2. What does Lord Ferris say about the House of Tremontaine after his plot is revealed?
3. Who knocks on Richard's door with the news that Lord Horn's swordsmen are dead?
4. What does the Duchess's servant invite Richard to join the Duchess in drinking?
5. What kind of party does the Duchess hold in Chapter 19?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Duchess see her relationship with Lord Ferris?
2. What letter do the kidnappers ask Alec to write to Richard?
3. For what reason does Richard claim he killed Lord Horn?
4. What does Richard think about the audience at the performance he and Alec go to?
5. After Richard leaves the Duchess's estate, what is Alec's attitude?
6. What does the Duchess tell Katherine after Alec injures himself?
7. How does Basil Halliday react to the news of Lord Horn's death?
8. How does the Duchess act toward Michael?
9. How do Alec and Richard react to Lord Horn lying at the trial?
10. During his meeting with the Duchess, what does Richard learn about the betting about him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the novel's point of view.
1) Why does the novel move between different characters' points of view? What different perspectives does it give the reader?
2) What are the primary characters whose points of view are shown in the novel? Find a character who never takes the narrative point of view. Why is this character excluded?
3) How much does the reader's perspective change as the point of view switches between different characters or areas of the society?
Essay Topic 2
Several of the characters in the novel take self-destructive action. Discuss self-destruction in the novel.
1) Why is Alec self-destructive? How does Richard respond to his self-destructive tendencies?
2) In what ways is Richard self-destructive? How does he put himself in harm's way?
3) What other characters are self-destructive? How do they harm themselves through their actions or inactions?
Essay Topic 3
Swordsmanship is central to the novel. Discuss sword fighting in the novel.
1) What changes about Michael after he studies sword fighting? What causes him to change?
2) What does sword fighting require? Is it a laudable occupation? What drives Richard to be a swordsman?
3) Basil believes hiring swordsmen is barbaric. Explain his point of view. Why does he think it is barbaric? How true is his depiction?
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)