|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the Council call to testify about Lord Horn's death?
2. How many people show up to Richard's public trial?
3. What does Alec offer Richard when he walks into Richard's apartment at the end of the novel?
4. What does Richard give Alec to wear when they go to the performance?
5. Where does Katherine tell Richard to come with her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Richard think of the performance he and Alec go to?
2. How does Richard feel about the duel he participates in during Chapter 16?
3. What does the Duchess tell Alec about Richard and their relationship after Richard has left?
4. What is Ginnie's reaction to the death of Lord Horn's swordsmen?
5. Describe the game played at the Duchess's party in Chapter 19.
6. After Richard leaves the Duchess's estate, what is Alec's attitude?
7. Why does Lord Ferris want to see Richard after he is captured?
8. What does Richard think about the audience at the performance he and Alec go to?
9. What objection does Alec pose to writing the letter?
10. How does Lord Horn feel when he finds Richard has broken into his house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the setting of the novel.
1) How is the geographical layout of the town important to the novel? How do the different locations relate to and reveal different social classes?
2) What importance do different areas of Riverside have in the novel? What does the Old Market add to the story as a setting? What about the taverns in the novel?
3) What importance does the Duchess's barge have in the novel as a setting? What does the setting of the river add to the novel?
Essay Topic 2
The world of the novel is run primarily by men, leaving women as players in the background. Discuss the role of women in the novel.
1) What is the place of women in society in the novel? How is the role of women different on the Hill and in Riverside?
2) What is the Duchess's role in society like? How does she gather power in a world where men hold the power? How does she exemplify women among the nobles?
3) What is Katherine's role in society? How is her life different because she's a woman? What hazards and opportunities does her gender create?
Essay Topic 3
Several characters move between social classes in the novel. Discuss moving between social classes in Swordspoint.
1) How does Katherine move out of Riverside and to the Hill? What is the cost and benefit of this move? Why does she make it? How does it change her life and status?
2) How does Alec move out of the Hill and into Riverside? What is the cost and benefit of this move? Why does he make it? How does it change his life and status?
3) How does Richard, as a swordsman, move between the upper and lower classes?
This section contains 829 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)