|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Katherine say that Richard has to give his answer about the job?
2. Who wins, when Appethorpe spars with Michael in Chapter 11?
3. What is Lord Horn's position on swordsmen's right to refuse a job?
4. What do the wealthy people on the river throw to each other during the Duchess's festivities?
5. What entertainment does the Duchess have at her party?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Richard reply to Lord Horn's letter?
2. What is Alec's advice to Richard about the job Richard has been offered?
3. What interferes with Ferris speaking privately with Basil after their dinner together?
4. What do the houses in Old Market look like?
5. What happens when Alec wakes Richard during the night, after Richard's meeting with Katherine?
6. What explanation does Lord Ferris give Katherine for asking her to stay with himself, Lord Horn, and Basil?
7. Why doesn't it matter what Michael is wearing at the Duchess's party?
8. What does Richard St. Vier give his landlady when he first sees her in the novel, and why?
9. How does Richard describe his relationship with Alec to Katherine?
10. What does Ginnie Vandall think of Richard's performance in the sword fight?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Swordsmanship is central to the novel. Discuss sword fighting in the novel.
1) What changes about Michael after he studies sword fighting? What causes him to change?
2) What does sword fighting require? Is it a laudable occupation? What drives Richard to be a swordsman?
3) Basil believes hiring swordsmen is barbaric. Explain his point of view. Why does he think it is barbaric? How true is his depiction?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss power and corruption in the novel?
1) Who among the nobility has power? How do the nobles gain, keep, and use their power?
2) Lord Horn and Lord Ferris are corrupt. How does their corruption affect how they use their power? What corrupts them? How are they different from Lord Basil?
3) Who among the lower classes has power? How do the lower-class gain, keep, and use their power?
Essay Topic 3
When Michael first meets Basil, he sees Basil as more manly. Discuss manliness in the novel.
1) In what ways does Michael become more manly over the course of the novel? Why? What does this say about the idea of manliness?
2) How is Basil manly? What does this say about his character?
3) How is Richard manly? What qualities of manliness does he have, and how do these qualities compare or contrast with Basil?
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)