|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Applethorpe think of Michael's ability?
(a) He thinks Michael could be a great swordfighter, with practice.
(b) He thinks Michael has already surpassed him.
(c) He thinks Michael will always be a mediocre swordfighter.
(d) He thinks Michael could never even become a mediocre swordfighter.
2. What do the wealthy people on the river throw to each other during the Duchess's festivities?
(c) Strings of beads.
3. What does Katherine give Richard to wear at his next meeting, so his contact will recognize him?
(a) A handkerchief.
(b) A glove.
(c) A scarf.
(d) A ring.
4. What is Katherine's former profession?
5. What happens to Lord Karleigh after the duel?
(a) He locks himself up in his house.
(b) He disappears without explanation.
(c) He suddenly has a lot of money.
(d) He begins bragging about being responsible for the duel.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Richard begins to fight Brent, what do the onlookers do?
2. What is Basil concerned about, regarding his position as Crescent Chancellor?
3. Who insults Hugo?
4. Who wins, when Appethorpe spars with Michael in Chapter 11?
5. What does Michael Godwin ask Richard?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Alec's advice to Richard about the job Richard has been offered?
2. What does Ginnie Vandall think of Richard's performance in the sword fight?
3. What does Richard tell Katherine about Alec's background?
4. Why is the idea of becoming a swordsman a joke for Michael?
5. Why is it ill-advised for Lord Horn to send the letter he sends to Richard?
6. What happens when Alec wakes Richard during the night, after Richard's meeting with Katherine?
7. What does Richard St. Vier give his landlady when he first sees her in the novel, and why?
8. What interferes with Ferris speaking privately with Basil after their dinner together?
9. What message does Lord Ferris ask Katherine to send to Richard?
10. Describe the job that Richard is approached with in Chapter 8.
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)