|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Lady Godwin's son Michael's reaction to his mother's conversation with Lady Mary Halliday and Duchess Tremontaine?
(a) He is angry.
(b) He is bored.
(c) He is sad.
(d) He is fascinated.
2. How does Michael meet with Lord Horn, after Michael leaves his lover's house?
(a) Lord Horn meets him in a tavern.
(b) Lord Horn comes to his house.
(c) Lord Horn finds him drunk on the street.
(d) Lord Horn almost runs him over.
3. Who does Lord Horn ask Richard to kill in a letter?
(a) The Duchess.
(b) Lord Ferris.
(d) Lord Halliday.
4. Who does Brent insult?
(a) The Duchess.
5. Where does St. Vier go after the duel?
(a) To his rented home in Riverside.
(b) To the home of a prominent lord.
(c) To the council building.
(d) Out of the country.
6. What does Applethorpe think of Michael's ability?
(a) He thinks Michael has already surpassed him.
(b) He thinks Michael could be a great swordfighter, with practice.
(c) He thinks Michael will always be a mediocre swordfighter.
(d) He thinks Michael could never even become a mediocre swordfighter.
7. Who insults Hugo?
8. When Richard begins to fight Brent, what do the onlookers do?
(a) Bet on the outcome.
(b) Run from the area.
(c) Try to pull them apart.
(d) Call the police.
9. When Basil, Lord Ferris, and Lord Horn ask Katherine about the life of a swordsman, what does she do?
(a) She tells them about Applethorpe losing his arm.
(b) She makes up a story to tell them.
(c) She tells them about Richard killing Jessamyn.
(d) She tells them she knows nothing of swordsmen.
10. Why does Richard go up to the Hill at the beginning of Chapter 5?
(a) To get paid for a duel.
(b) To go to a party.
(c) To go to a funeral.
(d) To find a new client.
11. Who wins, when Appethorpe spars with Michael in Chapter 11?
(a) Applethorpe, easily.
(b) Applethorpe, but with difficulty.
(c) Michael, easily.
(d) Michael, but with difficulty.
12. Who lives on the Hill?
(a) The outcasts.
(b) The aristocracy.
(c) The merchant class.
(d) The military.
13. Where does the Duchess invite Basil and Mary?
(a) To a picnic on her barge.
(b) To a luncheon in the town hall.
(c) To a dance in her home.
(d) To an outing to a local castle.
14. What does the Duchess's barge look like?
(a) A swan.
(b) A peacock.
(c) A leaf.
(d) A fish.
15. What is Katherine's former profession?
Short Answer Questions
1. What state is Richard in when he arrives home after his meeting with Katherine?
2. Where does the duel where the swordsmen are killed take place?
3. How many swordsman are killed, as the novel begins?
4. Why does Basil return home early?
5. What does Michael Godwin ask Richard?
This section contains 518 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)