|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Applethorpe lose his arm?
(a) In a swordfight.
(b) In an act of revenge for killing someone in a duel.
(c) Falling off a cliff.
(d) In a street accident.
2. Where does the Duchess invite Basil and Mary?
(a) To an outing to a local castle.
(b) To a picnic on her barge.
(c) To a dance in her home.
(d) To a luncheon in the town hall.
3. What group begins a revolt?
(a) The blacksmiths.
(b) The weavers.
(c) The farm workers.
(d) The woodworkers.
4. What does the Duchess give to the man Michael believes she is having an affair with?
(a) A necklace.
(b) A watch.
(c) A coin.
(d) A ring.
5. Who does Michael meet and sleep with, when he stands up his lover?
(a) He meets his lover's wife.
(b) He meets his lover's handmaid.
(c) He meets his lover's girlfriend.
(d) He meets his lover's daughter.
6. What causes Michael to throw himself into his swordfighting training?
(a) A desire for revenge.
(b) Trying to forget the Duchess.
(c) Trying to get a better body.
7. What state is Richard in when he arrives home after his meeting with Katherine?
(a) He is falling asleep.
(b) He is drunk.
(c) He is overly excited and restless.
(d) He is drugged.
8. How has Alec lost most of his money?
(a) Playing dice.
(b) Playing cards.
(c) Betting on fights.
(d) Betting on races.
9. Who complains to Richard after he kills Brent?
(a) The barkeeper.
(b) A whore who worked for Brent.
(c) Brent's wife.
(d) Brent's son.
10. Who lives on the Hill?
(a) The aristocracy.
(b) The outcasts.
(c) The military.
(d) The merchant class.
11. Who wins, when Appethorpe spars with Michael in Chapter 11?
(a) Michael, easily.
(b) Applethorpe, but with difficulty.
(c) Michael, but with difficulty.
(d) Applethorpe, easily.
12. What time of day is it when Richard wakes at the beginning of Chapter 3?
(a) The middle of the night.
(b) Late afternoon.
(c) Late morning.
(d) Early morning.
13. What does the note from Basil to Lord Ferris ask?
(a) It asks Lord Ferris to meet Basil privately.
(b) It asks Lord Ferris to give himself up.
(c) It asks Lord Ferris to ally with Basil.
(d) It asks Lord Ferris to come to a party.
14. Who is Michael Godwin having an affair with?
(a) Bertram Rossilion.
(b) Richard St. Vier.
(c) Lord Horn.
(d) Lord Halliday.
15. What causes Michael to change his mind about sleeping with Lord Horn?
(a) He sees Lord Horn's face in the light.
(b) He remembers his mother's relationship with Lord Horn.
(c) He is offended by something Lord Horn says.
(d) He finds an offensive letter Lord Horn wrote.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is holding the gathering which Richard St. Vier shows up to at the beginning of the novel?
2. What does Michael Godwin ask Richard?
3. Who has been trying to take the job that's waiting for Richard?
4. Who does Lord Horn flirt with at the Duchess's party?
5. When Basil, Lord Ferris, and Lord Horn ask Katherine about the life of a swordsman, what does she do?
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)