|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who has been trying to take the job that's waiting for Richard?
(a) Basil Halliday.
(b) Michael Godwin.
(c) Hugo Seville.
(d) Vincent Applethorpe.
2. Who does Michael tell that he is practicing sword fighting?
(a) Lord Horn.
(b) No one.
(c) His mother.
(d) The Duchess.
3. Where does Richard practice his swordsmanship?
(a) Against a bedpost.
(b) Against a window.
(c) Against a coatrack.
(d) Against the wall.
4. Why does Basil return home early?
(a) To spend time with his wife.
(b) To keep an appointment with a decorator.
(c) To go out to a party.
(d) To work on his book.
5. What causes Michael to throw himself into his swordfighting training?
(a) Trying to get a better body.
(b) Trying to forget the Duchess.
(c) A desire for revenge.
6. What unusual item is the person trying to hire Richard wearing?
(a) A boutineer of orchids.
(b) A fanciful hat.
(c) An eyepatch.
(d) A false mustache.
7. How does Michael feel about the Duchess?
(a) He is attracted by her.
(b) He is jealous of her.
(c) He hates her for being superficial.
(d) He is irritated by her.
8. What is Basil's position on swordsmen's right to refuse a job?
(a) He disapproves of swordsmen in general.
(b) He approves of it.
(c) He doesn't have an opinion.
(d) He disapproves of it.
9. Who does Lord Horn ask Richard to kill in a letter?
(a) Lord Ferris.
(c) Lord Halliday.
(d) The Duchess.
10. What is Basil concerned about, regarding his position as Crescent Chancellor?
(a) Keeping his position from being eliminated.
(b) Consolidating power among his party.
(c) Getting more power for his position.
(d) Being reelected.
11. Who does Lord Horn flirt with at the Duchess's party?
(b) Lord Ferris.
(c) The Duchess.
(d) Lady Halliday.
12. How do Lady Mary Halliday and Duchess Tremontaine describe Michael?
(a) As happy and clever.
(b) As handsome and elegant.
(c) As polite and dutiful.
(d) As surly and morose.
13. Who wins, when Appethorpe spars with Michael in Chapter 11?
(a) Applethorpe, but with difficulty.
(b) Applethorpe, easily.
(c) Michael, but with difficulty.
(d) Michael, easily.
14. Who do people suspect hired de Maris and Lynch?
(a) Duchess Tremontaine.
(b) Lord Horn.
(c) Lord Karleigh.
(d) St. Vier.
15. How did Alec once try to kill himself?
(a) By hanging himself.
(b) By slitting his wrists.
(c) By throwing himself off a bridge.
(d) By poisoning himself.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the party the Duchess invites Basil and Mary to in honor of?
2. How does Michael leave, after his illicit meeting with a woman associated with his lover?
3. What do the commoners do on the night of the Duchess's party?
4. What is Katherine's current profession?
5. Where does the duel where the swordsmen are killed take place?
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)