Essay Topic 1
When Michael first meets Basil, he sees Basil as more manly. Discuss manliness in the novel.
1) In what ways does Michael become more manly over the course of the novel? Why? What does this say about the idea of manliness?
2) How is Basil manly? What does this say about his character?
3) How is Richard manly? What qualities of manliness does he have, and how do these qualities compare or contrast with Basil?
Essay Topic 2
One of the primary thematic ideas in the novel is social class. Discuss social class in the novel.
1) What are the social classes in the novel, and what defines them? How does society treat the members of different social classes?
2) How do the characters in the novel fit into their social classes, and what dissatisfies characters about their social classes?
3) How do the different social classes interact with each other and affect...
This section contains 1,535 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)