Prologue to Part 1: Early Days
• The following version of this book was used to create this Lesson Plan: Smith, Zadie. Swing Time. Penguin Press, 2016.
• In the Prologue the author has been staying indoors at a condo since she was put on a plane and sent to England.
• On the third day of her isolation, the doorman calls and tells her that the lobby is clear.
• She goes outside and wanders, and she decides to buy a ticket to a film discussion.
• During the discussion, there is a clip of the movie Swing Time.
• This is a movie that the narrator watched over and over again as a child.
• She connects with a man named Lamin, who has also been fired, and then they go back to the condo and surf the internet in bed.
• The narrator checks her phone, and she has only 30 messages, instead of the thousands...
This section contains 4,933 words
(approx. 17 pages at 300 words per page)