|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mrs. Savukshaw's secret?
2. Who is Sarosh?
3. Why does Kashmira make a comment about a pretty foreign stamp on Khorshedbai's letter?
4. What does Mr. Karani warn Boman about?
5. What happens to Navjeet by Percy's account?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Exercisers," how does Jehangir feel about the boys who have come to college from the co-educational schools?
2. How does Kersi's family hide the crumbling walls in the apartment?
3. Why does Nariman like to use big, new words when telling his stories to the boys?
4. What are Percy's and the others' feelings when Jamshed returns to visit Bombay and takes them to an expensive restaurant?
5. In "Lend Me Your Light," why is Kersi's mother happy that Percy is friends with Jamshed?
6. What does Sarosh's troubles in Toronto really reflect upon?
7. Why does Kersi want to cry at the end of the story, "Of White Hairs and Cricket?"
8. Why does Jehangir stop going to the Hanging Gardens?
9. How does Jehangir explain the meaning of the stories of Savukshaw to Nariman and the boys?
10. How does Najamai turn out to be responsible for changing the neighbors' decision not to testify against the paying guests?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the book, the author has characters which overlap in the stories. What is the main theme that is embedded within all of the stories? Does the main theme encourage the reader to care about the characters in the Firozsha Baag?
Essay Topic 2
By the end of "The Collectors," Dr. Mody's stamps lay in a trunk under Jehangir's bed, being eaten and destroyed by cockroaches and vermin. What does the trunk full of worthless stamps symbolize? Why does Jehangir feel a sense of relief at the discovery of the stamps' demise?
Essay Topic 3
How is "Squatter" considered to be a story-within-a-story? What are the elements of this story that belie its complexities?
This section contains 1,123 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)