|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. in "Lend Me Your Light," what do tiffin carriers deliver to the school?
2. What does one man in line to see Bhagwan Baba tell the others most definitely signifies something?
3. Who gives Kordshedbai a gift in the night, according to the dream she has?
4. What does Viraf's and Kersi's private signal sound like?
5. What happens to Navjeet by Percy's account?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Lend Me Your Light," why is Kersi's mother happy that Percy is friends with Jamshed?
2. What is Jehangir's status with the boys of Firozsha Baag by the time of the Squatter story?
3. Why does Daddy stop taking the boys to play cricket at maidaan?
4. In "The Paying Guests," why does Khorshedbai feel she is justified in leaving garbage spread around the veranda?
5. Why does Kersi remember the word ghati with shame?
6. What is an example of Kersi holding back his true feelings?
7. What do Jehangir's mother and Behroze, two very different women, have in common?
8. Why does Nariman like to use big, new words when telling his stories to the boys?
9. How does Daddy react when Kersi puts down the tweezers and goes to read to comics?
10. How does Najamai turn out to be responsible for changing the neighbors' decision not to testify against the paying guests?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a summation of Jehangir's relationship with his mother and hers with him. Is Behroze correct about the "apron strings" showing on Jehangir? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
What more is learned about Nariman in the story, "Squatter?" Is Nariman as popular in Firozsha Baag as Dr. Mody once was? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the two couples from "The Paying Guest." Delve into their personalities and main characteristics.
This section contains 1,061 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)