|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the bai and seth go when they leave Jaakaylee to watch the children for the first time?
2. Why does the chasniwalla kill Dhunjisha?
3. What does Mrs. Mody offer to Jehangir after Dr Mody's death?
4. How does Daulat view Najamai?
5. Who is the foremost "flicker" amongst the schoolboys in "The Collectors"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes Rustomji decide that he can go to the front of a very long line of people waiting for the A-1 bus?
2. What leads Tehmina to believe that Francis is much stronger than his slight body build shows?
3. What is life like for an ayah?
4. Why are Mehroo and Rustomji happy when Tanoo decides to leave them in order to live with her sister's family in a small village?
5. Before Najamai purchased her fridge, how did Tehmina acquire the ice she needed?
6. What stops the neighborhood children from making fun of Jaakaylee's visions of a ghost?
7. In "Condolence Visit," why is it that Daulat is not looking forward to the visits she will receive?
8. Why does bai begin to treat Jaakaylee with more respect?
9. When and why does the bhoot stop the visits to Jaakaylee?
10. Why is Dr. Mody so disappointed in his son, Pesi, in "The Collectors?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does the murder of Navjeet symbolize to Percy, Kersi and Jamshed, respectively?
Essay Topic 2
In what ways are Mehroo and her husband, Rustomji, different from one another? Cite examples that show these differences and explore their personality traits.
Essay Topic 3
In "The Ghost of Firozsha Baag," examine the relationship between the ayah and the bai. Relate their relationship to the social caste system in India.
This section contains 1,024 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)