|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the most likely meaning of the word "gunga" in the story?
2. What is it that Nariman Hansotia cannot convince Rustomji to do?
3. What volunteer organization does Rustomji have good remembrances of?
4. What does Dr. Burjor Mody assume principalship of in "The Collectors" just before moving to Firozsha Baag?
5. What does Nasjamai offer to Daulat as a help after dusmoo?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Daulat wishes she had accepted Sarosh's gift of a portable tape recorder, what does she think she could have used it for?
2. In "Condolence Visit," why is it that Daulat is not looking forward to the visits she will receive?
3. What does Daulat do to disobey the usual custom after one's spouse dies?
4. In "The Ghost of Firozsha Baag," how does Jacqueline's name get changed to Jaakaylee?
5. Why is Behram roje such an important date for Mehroo?
6. When and why does the bhoot stop the visits to Jaakaylee?
7. How does Mrs. Mody feel about Jehangir's visits to her home on Sunday mornings?
8. Before Najamai purchased her fridge, how did Tehmina acquire the ice she needed?
9. Why does bai begin to treat Jaakaylee with more respect?
10. Why is Cajetan on Jaakaylee's mind since she has seen the bhoot?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the two couples from "The Paying Guest." Delve into their personalities and main characteristics.
Essay Topic 2
In "The Paying Guests," how does Khorshedbai prove that "...no one will peck me to pieces?" Why does she use this metaphor to explain her anguished response to being pushed around?
Essay Topic 3
Based upon the first story, "Auspicious Occasion," describe in detail the Firozsha Baag apartment complex and its inhabitants. What are the apartments like? How do the tenants interact?
This section contains 1,005 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)