|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Jamshed eat lunch at one o'clock?
(a) He goes home.
(b) In an air-conditioned car.
(c) In the school lunchroom.
(d) Outside in the play yard.
2. What does Nariman do to ensure that Jehangir will hear the rest of the Sarosh story?
(a) He records it on a cassette tape.
(b) He finishes the story quickly.
(c) He promises to finish it the next day.
(d) He goes to his apartment to tell it to him.
3. What is Mrs. Savukshaw's secret?
(a) Her hunting techniques.
(b) Savukshaw's strength.
(c) Her fried fish.
(d) Her chicken-dhansaak.
4. What was once Kashmira's devout ambition in life?
(a) To do social work.
(b) To finish her schooling.
(c) To become a tenancy lawyer.
(d) To be a landlady.
5. Why does Jehangir enjoy Nariman's story so much?
(a) He feels like one of the boys.
(b) It gives him something to do.
(c) The plots are quite interesting.
(d) He enjoys Nariman's way with words.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does MCC stand for in the story Nariman tells?
2. What does Korshedbai end up taking from Kashmira?
3. What image does Korshedbai carry at the back of her mind?
4. What does Jehangir's mother tell him will happen if he returns home after eight o'clock at night?
5. What are Bhagwan Baba's words of advice?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Exercisers," how does Jehangir feel about the boys who have come to college from the co-educational schools?
2. In "The Paying Guests," why does Khorshedbai feel she is justified in leaving garbage spread around the veranda?
3. What is it about Jamshed's letter to Kersi that disturbs Kersi so much?
4. What do Jehangir's mother and Behroze, two very different women, have in common?
5. In "Lend Me Your Light," why is Kersi's mother happy that Percy is friends with Jamshed?
6. Why does Jehangir stop going to the Hanging Gardens?
7. For most of her life, Khorshedbai has an image in her mind of a flock of crows. What is this image?
8. How does Jehangir explain to the boys the manner in which Nariman tells his stories?
9. How does Daddy react when Kersi puts down the tweezers and goes to read to comics?
10. Why does Nariman like to use big, new words when telling his stories to the boys?
This section contains 1,050 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)