|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where had the wrecked school bus been parked?
2. In what war did Billy serve?
3. What is Billy's wife's name?
4. Bear Otto's parents are _______________ and artists.
5. How does Billy deal with his grief?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Nichole feel comfortable with Mitchell Stephens?
2. Who comes to Dolores' aid as she struggles with Abbott's wheelchair in the grandstand?
3. Who is the first narrator and what does she first relate in the story?
4. Describe Nichole's new bedroom.
5. Describe Dolores' observations when she is seated in the grandstand.
6. How does Billy react to his wife's death?
7. What surprising information does Billy tell Dolores about Nichole's testimony?
8. Explain Billy's relationship with death.
9. What brought Mitchell Stephenson to the town of Sam Dent?
10. Describe Nichole's feelings upon returning home after being hospitalized for so long.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the irony of Nichole's being confined to a wheelchair as her long-awaited freedom from her father's sexual abuse.
Essay Topic 2
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for the lives of Dolores, Billy, Mitchell and Nichole.
Essay Topic 3
The characters in the story have suffered much loss even prior to the bus crash. Cite at least three examples of loss experienced by some of the characters and support your answers.
This section contains 935 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)