|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many children are on the bus when it crashes?
2. What is notable about the child in #18?
3. Who was Billy Ansel thinking of as he followed the school bus that fateful morning?
4. In what city does Dolores live?
5. What runs out of the area in #30 and frightens Dolores?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Mitchell Stephenson's opinion about the bus crash being an accident?
2. How does Mitchell determine who to sue in the school bus accident case?
3. What are Nichole's reactions when she learns that she has a new bedroom?
4. What time of year is it in Chapter 5 and what annual event do Dolores and Abbott usually attend?
5. What can Billy relate about what happened after the accident.
6. What is Dolores' reputation and why does she take such pride in it?
7. What does Mitchell Stephenson surmise about Sam Dent after driving through it?
8. Why is Nichole Burnell so important to Mitchell and his case?
9. Why do so many people tell Nichole she is lucky?
10. Who is the first narrator and what does she first relate in the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses the literary technique of flashback to explain Mitchell's intensity about starting this new case. Why did the author include this flashback? Why does it help explain Mitchell as a character? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the irony of Nichole's being confined to a wheelchair as her long-awaited freedom from her father's sexual abuse.
Essay Topic 3
Mitchell Stephens learns that he, too, is losing his daughter, Zoe, who has tested positive for HIV. What impact does this news have on Mitchell's decision to sue for the parents of Sam Dent who have lost their children? Explain.
This section contains 1,020 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)