|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Boss ask Aunt Nonnie to go and get?
2. What actress does Chance compare Miss Lucy to?
3. What did Miss Lucy use to write on the mirror in the Royal Palms Hotel?
4. What does Boss think desegregation threatens?
5. What does Aunt Nonnie say Chance needs to go back to?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What problems does Chance's generation face? How are the problems for Chance's generation different from the problems his father's generation faced? Identify and discuss a significant problem facing your generation.
Essay Topic 2
Aside from the main character, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 3
In 1962, Paul Newman starred in a movie version of SWEET BIRD OF YOUTH. Why do you think the themes and ideas in the book were still relevant so many years later? How did the filmmakers adapt the themes to fit in with the new environment? How did these changes affect the meaning of the story?
This section contains 214 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)