|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does Chance give for not receiving Scudder's letter?
2. What kind of birds squawk outside the hotel window?
3. Who is standing near Boss Finley?
4. What is the choir singing in the church across the way?
5. Who does Scudder say died a couple weeks before?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Chance find out about himself in New York?
2. What do the shadows and noises of the birds symbolize?
3. What does Chance say is the great difference between people in the world?
4. Why is Alexandra disappointed at the end of the scene?
5. What is Chance's plan to get Heavenly back?
6. How does Chance know it is Sunday?
7. What does Chance say happened last time he came to the town?
8. What is Boss' plan to move Princess out of the hotel?
9. Why did Chance want to be successful as a child?
10. How does Princess react to what Sally tells her?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the values of the 1950s.
1. In what ways are the characters a product of their time?
2. How does the play express the changes America was going through at the time?
3. Does modern society share any values with 1950s America?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the play and helps to express character and theme.
2. Point of view.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the play's chronological setting.
1. What were the main concerns during the 1950s? How does the author express these concerns?
2. How would the author change the play if it was set in today's society?
This section contains 1,436 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)