|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the town the play is set in?
2. Who does Scudder say died a couple weeks before?
3. What is the name of Boss' boat?
4. Who phones Chance in the opening scene?
5. What does Chancy say he was born with in his blood?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information about Princess does Chance record?
2. How did Princess know Chance had been defeated?
3. Why does Princess say she is currently in such a vulnerable state?
4. How does Fly know Chance's name?
5. How does Miss Lucy help the heckler?
6. Why did Boss Finley arrange for someone to castrate a blackman?
7. What is Chance's plan to get Heavenly back?
8. What does Chance say is the great difference between people in the world?
9. What tip does Chance give Bud?
10. What does Sally tell Princess on the phone?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the play's chronological setting.
1. What were the main concerns during the 1950s? How does the author express these concerns?
2. How would the author change the play if it was set in today's society?
Essay Topic 2
What problems does Chance's generation face? How are the problems for Chance's generation different from the problems his father's generation faced? Identify and discuss a significant problem facing your generation.
Essay Topic 3
In 1962, Paul Newman starred in a movie version of SWEET BIRD OF YOUTH. Why do you think the themes and ideas in the book were still relevant so many years later? How did the filmmakers adapt the themes to fit in with the new environment? How did these changes affect the meaning of the story?
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)