|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Chance say Princess will find the car when he is finished?
2. What does Chance ask Princess not to call him?
3. What kind of novel does the Princess say she likes?
4. What war did Chance fight in?
5. What does Princess say is raging in her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Boss say he wants Heavenly to do the following morning?
2. How does Princess put Chance down in the final scene?
3. Describe the opening scene.
4. What information about Princess does Chance record?
5. Why is Aunt Nonnie angry at Boss Finley?
6. Why does Princess say she is angry at Chance?
7. How does the play end?
8. What is Boss' plan to move Princess out of the hotel?
9. Why does Chance say he wants to borrow Princess' car?
10. How does Princess react to what Sally tells her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Chance to Boss.
1. What is their relationship to each other?
2. How are their ideas different?
3. How do their differences in opinion prove to be destructive?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss elements of the narrative structure; Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the play's themes?
Essay Topic 3
In 1962, Paul Newman starred in a movie version of SWEET BIRD OF YOUTH. Why do you think the themes and ideas in the book were still relevant so many years later? How did the filmmakers adapt the themes to fit in with the new environment? How did these changes affect the meaning of the story?
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)