|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Act 2, Scene 1 take place?
2. What is the man lighting at the beginning of the scene?
3. What is the name of Heavenly's father?
4. Where does Chance say Princess will find the car when he is finished?
5. Who does Princess phone in the second scene?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Miss Lucy try and help Chance?
2. What problems does Boss say Tom Jr. has caused him?
3. What is Chance's motivation in life?
4. What do the shadows and noises of the birds symbolize?
5. What problem had Heavenly had to go through since she last saw Chance?
6. How is Chance's name ironic?
7. Why did Chance want to be successful as a child?
8. How does the bar react when Chance asks them to sing along to his song?
9. How did Aunt Nonnie help Chance in the past?
10. Why does Chance say he wants to borrow Princess' car?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Chance's character to the person he was at the beginning of the play to the person he is at the end.
1) What did Chance hope to achieve at the beginning of the play?
2) What events changes Chance ideas about life?
3) How has Chance's character changed by the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the play's chronological setting.
1. What were the main concerns during the 1950s? How does the author express these concerns?
2. How would the author change the play if it was set in today's society?
Essay Topic 3
Replace the play's setting with one of the following settings:
1. New York.
2. Los Angeles.
3. Jefferson County.
What new meaning would the new setting give the book? How important is setting for developing meaning in a story?
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)