|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What detail does Tree seize on in Brother Rush's story?
2. How does Dab seem to be doing, when Tree, M'Vy and Silversmith look into his room?
3. How does Miss Pricherd respond when Tree calls her by her nickname?
4. What could Tree tell by the way M'Vy walked into the house, at the beginning of Chapter 15?
5. What does M'Vy tell Tree?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does M'Vy say when Tree and Dab tell her about their experiences with Brother Rush?
2. What does Tree see when she takes off Brother Rush's gloves?
3. How does the narrator describe the relationship between M'Vy and Dab?
4. Describe Tree's discovery of Dab's death.
5. What happens that Dab gets taken to the hospital?
6. Why does Tree get upset when M'Vy says that it is time to go out?
7. What is Tree and M'Vy's relationship like, at the end of the book?
8. How is Silversmith described?
9. What does Tree see from the back seat of the car, when no one knows she is there?
10. How is the relationship with Tree and Miss Pricherd different at the end of the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an evaluative review of "Sweet Whispers, Brother Rush". What is this book's place in culture? What are its uses? Who is its audience? What are its limitations?
Essay Topic 2
Where is the climax of this book? Are there different climaxes? What questions does each climax resolve? What questions does each climax leave unanswered?
Essay Topic 3
M'Vy tells Tree that she had not told her much about her family because she wanted to keep a closed fist to beat fate. Does Tree try to beat fate, or how does she try to deal with fate's effect on her life? Who else has techniques for dealing with fate? How successful do these other techniques seem to be?
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)