|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What movie does Tree think Dab looks like he might be in, when she visits him later?
2. How does Dab seem to be doing, when Tree, M'Vy and Silversmith look into his room?
3. What does Miss Pricherd say will happen to Dab's things?
4. What did Dab die of?
5. What is Tree's nightmare?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes Tree think of Dab when she is at home alone?
2. Why does Tree get upset when M'Vy says that it is time to go out?
3. What prompts Tree to decide to leave home?
4. What new information does Tree learn about Brother Rush's death, when they are checking in at the hospital?
5. What does Tree see when she takes off Brother Rush's gloves?
6. What happens when Miss Pricherd cleans Dab's room?
7. How is Dab described when Tree visits him in chapter 11?
8. Describe Tree's relationship with Silversmith.
9. What is Tree's nightmare?
10. How is the relationship with Tree and Miss Pricherd different at the end of the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Evaluate your own reading of "Sweet Whispers, Brother Rush" -- did you resist it, or were you compelled by the story? What does your reading tell you about yourself and your interests? Use specific examples from the book to describe yourself as a reader.
Essay Topic 2
How does Tree change from the beginning of the book to the end? What has she learned, and how has she grown? How has her relationship with her mother changed?
Essay Topic 3
Write a character sketch of the author based on her style and content. What values does she hold dear? What do you think the author holds as hopes and fears? What kind of person do you think she may be? What can you find out about her online or in research? Anchor your sketch with passages in the book.
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)