|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Tree goes to the little room?
2. How does the narrator characterize the relationship between Tree and Don?
3. How has M'Vy changed for the funeral?
4. Where does Tree say her knowledge about family came from?
5. How does Dab seem to be doing, when Tree, M'Vy and Silversmith look into his room?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Tree and M'Vy's relationship like, at the end of the book?
2. Why does Tree get upset when M'Vy says that it is time to go out?
3. What happens when M'Vy follows Tree into the little room?
4. What does M'Vy tell Tree about her brothers and Dab?
5. What does Tree learn from M'Vy about Dab's condition?
6. Describe Tree's discovery of Dab's death.
7. What does Tree see when she and M'Vy are transported back to the past together?
8. Describe Tree's relationship with Silversmith.
9. What are Tree's feelings about Dab's sickness?
10. What happens that Dab gets taken to the hospital?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the rules for the alternate reality Tree travels to? Is it a dream, or is it really another time? Who else has the power to go back and forth? Do you think Tree will see Dab in her little room one day?
Essay Topic 2
What are the advantages and disadvantages of Virginia Hamilton's writing in dialect? Does it make the story easier or harder to follow? Does it make you feel like the characters are more alive, or more like puppets? Where does the dialect really work? Where does it seem like it doesn't work as well?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Ken and Silversmith. How are they similar? How are they different? What are they like as people? What are they like as father figures for Tree?
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)