|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What condition does M'Vy say Dab is in when she calls Tree at home?
2. What was M'Vy's experience in the little room?
3. How does Dab seem to be doing, when Tree, M'Vy and Silversmith look into his room?
4. What does the narrator say is the result of Tree describing details of Brother Rush's accident?
5. What does Miss Pricherd tell Tree?
Short Essay Questions
1. What prompts Tree to decide to leave home?
2. What happens that Dab gets taken to the hospital?
3. What does M'Vy say when Tree and Dab tell her about their experiences with Brother Rush?
4. What ails Brother Rush?
5. What does Tree learn when she sees Brother Rush after Dab's death?
6. What makes Tree think of Dab when she is at home alone?
7. How is the relationship with Tree and Miss Pricherd different at the end of the book?
8. What is Tree's nightmare?
9. Describe Tree's relationship with Silversmith.
10. What does Tree tell M'Vy about Dab's funeral?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a character sketch of the author based on her style and content. What values does she hold dear? What do you think the author holds as hopes and fears? What kind of person do you think she may be? What can you find out about her online or in research? Anchor your sketch with passages in the book.
Essay Topic 2
Would you recommend Sweet Whispers, Brother Rush"? For what purposes would you recommend "Sweet Whispers, Brother Rush", and what kinds of readers would you not recommend it for? What book would you recommend that would cover the same material or tell the same story in a different way?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Ken and Silversmith. How are they similar? How are they different? What are they like as people? What are they like as father figures for Tree?
This section contains 824 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)