|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tree say Brother Rush's hands are full of?
2. Where does M'Vy say Dab is, when she finds Tree again?
3. Where does Tree find herself when she goes to see Brother Rush?
4. How has M'Vy changed for the funeral?
5. What is M'Vy's reaction when Tree tells her what she realized about Brother Rush?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator describe the relationship between M'Vy and Dab?
2. How is the relationship with Tree and Miss Pricherd different at the end of the book?
3. What does M'Vy say when Tree and Dab tell her about their experiences with Brother Rush?
4. What is Tree and M'Vy's relationship like, at the end of the book?
5. What happens when M'Vy follows Tree into the little room?
6. What happens that Dab gets taken to the hospital?
7. What prompts Tree to decide to leave home?
8. Describe Brother Rush's house, when Brother Rush takes Tree and Dab there.
9. What happens when Miss Pricherd cleans Dab's room?
10. What does Tree see when she and M'Vy are transported back to the past together?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Dab's illness seem to be, and how important is it that we know exactly what it is? Considering how his health affects the rest of the story, does it matter what it is, exactly?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast "Sweet Whispers, Brother Rush" with "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe", another book in which children are transported into another world through a special portal.
Essay Topic 3
Write a character sketch of the author based on her style and content. What values does she hold dear? What do you think the author holds as hopes and fears? What kind of person do you think she may be? What can you find out about her online or in research? Anchor your sketch with passages in the book.
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)