|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does M'Vy do when Tree and Dab come back to the room from their visions?
2. What stories does Don tell Tree?
3. What does M'Vy say is Dab's problem?
4. Where does Tree say her knowledge about family came from?
5. What is Tree's response when M'Vy comes home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does M'Vy tell Tree is wrong with Dab?
2. How does the narrator describe the relationship between M'Vy and Dab?
3. What prompts Tree to decide to leave home?
4. What are Tree's feelings about Dab's sickness?
5. What does Tree learn from M'Vy about Dab's condition?
6. What does Tree see from the back seat of the car, when no one knows she is there?
7. How is Dab described when Tree visits him in chapter 11?
8. How is the relationship with Tree and Miss Pricherd different at the end of the book?
9. What does Tree tell M'Vy about Dab's funeral?
10. How is Silversmith described?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do you think Tree's daughter would see if she were to find a little room in her own house, twenty or thirty years into the future? Will Tree tell her daughter everything, do you think, or will she be open about the things she is ashamed of?
Essay Topic 2
What is missing from this book? What should have been covered or presented that was not? What is the effect of this absence? Describe an element that ought to have been covered, and explain why it would have made the book stronger.
Essay Topic 3
Write an evaluative review of "Sweet Whispers, Brother Rush". What is this book's place in culture? What are its uses? Who is its audience? What are its limitations?
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)