|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What stories does Don tell Tree?
2. What does Tree want her mother to explain to her?
3. What does Tree realize as her mother tells her stories?
4. Who is driving with Brother Rush?
5. Where does Tree find herself when she goes to see Brother Rush?
Short Essay Questions
1. What ails Brother Rush?
2. What are Tree's feelings about Dab's sickness?
3. How does the narrator describe the relationship between M'Vy and Dab?
4. What prompts Tree to decide to leave home?
5. What does Tree see when she takes off Brother Rush's gloves?
6. Describe Tree's discovery of Dab's death.
7. What does M'Vy say when Tree and Dab tell her about their experiences with Brother Rush?
8. Describe Tree's relationship with Silversmith.
9. What does M'Vy tell Tree is wrong with Dab?
10. What is Tree and M'Vy's relationship like, at the end of the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Dab's illness seem to be, and how important is it that we know exactly what it is? Considering how his health affects the rest of the story, does it matter what it is, exactly?
Essay Topic 2
What are the advantages and disadvantages of Virginia Hamilton's writing in dialect? Does it make the story easier or harder to follow? Does it make you feel like the characters are more alive, or more like puppets? Where does the dialect really work? Where does it seem like it doesn't work as well?
Essay Topic 3
Why are M'Vy and Tree able to reconcile at the end of "Sweet Whispers, Brother Rush"? What has changed that allows their relationship to go into the future?
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)