|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tree tell M'Vy about Brother Rush?
2. What does M'Vy tell Tree about Ken?
3. What is M'Vy worried the doctors will think when they see Dab?
4. Where are Brother Rush and the other man going, when Tree was still in the back seat of the car?
5. What are Tree's feelings in the hospital?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does M'Vy tell Tree about her brothers and Dab?
2. What does Tree see from the back seat of the car, when no one knows she is there?
3. What ails Brother Rush?
4. What does M'Vy say when Tree and Dab tell her about their experiences with Brother Rush?
5. What does Tree tell M'Vy about Dab's funeral?
6. How is the relationship with Tree and Miss Pricherd different at the end of the book?
7. Describe Tree's relationship with Silversmith.
8. Describe Dab's admittance into the hospital.
9. Describe Tree's discovery of Dab's death.
10. How is Silversmith described?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you think Tree will continue to go back into the past -- and into her own childhood -- from the little room? Or was her trip back into the past just part of her growing up and becoming the person she is in the present?
Essay Topic 2
Would you recommend Sweet Whispers, Brother Rush"? For what purposes would you recommend "Sweet Whispers, Brother Rush", and what kinds of readers would you not recommend it for? What book would you recommend that would cover the same material or tell the same story in a different way?
Essay Topic 3
M'Vy tells Tree that she had not told her much about her family because she wanted to keep a closed fist to beat fate. Does Tree try to beat fate, or how does she try to deal with fate's effect on her life? Who else has techniques for dealing with fate? How successful do these other techniques seem to be?
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)