|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does M'Vy apologize to Tree for?
2. What causes the car accident that kills Brother Rush?
3. What does M'Vy do when Tree and Dab come back to the room from their visions?
4. What does Tree see when she takes Brother Rush's gloves?
5. How old is the Brother Rush driving in the car?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Tree's discovery of Dab's death.
2. What happens when Miss Pricherd cleans Dab's room?
3. Describe Brother Rush's house, when Brother Rush takes Tree and Dab there.
4. Why does Tree get upset when M'Vy says that it is time to go out?
5. What does Tree learn when she sees Brother Rush after Dab's death?
6. What is Tree's nightmare?
7. What does M'Vy tell Tree is wrong with Dab?
8. What are Tree's feelings about Dab's sickness?
9. What happens when M'Vy follows Tree into the little room?
10. What does Tree see when she and M'Vy are transported back to the past together?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Tree get in return for the loss of her brother? Is she compensated, or does she simply lose him?
Essay Topic 2
What does Dab's illness seem to be, and how important is it that we know exactly what it is? Considering how his health affects the rest of the story, does it matter what it is, exactly?
Essay Topic 3
What are the advantages and disadvantages of Virginia Hamilton's writing in dialect? Does it make the story easier or harder to follow? Does it make you feel like the characters are more alive, or more like puppets? Where does the dialect really work? Where does it seem like it doesn't work as well?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)