|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does M'Vy hint is wrong with Dab?
2. What does M'Vy say she should have done?
3. Where does Tree find herself when she goes to see Brother Rush?
4. What does Tree say Brother Rush's hands are full of?
5. What makes Tree erupt and scream at M'Vy and Silversmith?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Miss Pricherd cleans Dab's room?
2. What does Tree see from the back seat of the car, when no one knows she is there?
3. What does Tree tell M'Vy about Dab's funeral?
4. What prompts Tree to decide to leave home?
5. What does M'Vy say when Tree and Dab tell her about their experiences with Brother Rush?
6. What does Tree see when she takes off Brother Rush's gloves?
7. What is Tree's nightmare?
8. What does Tree learn from M'Vy about Dab's condition?
9. How is the relationship with Tree and Miss Pricherd different at the end of the book?
10. Describe Tree's discovery of Dab's death.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Tree get in return for the loss of her brother? Is she compensated, or does she simply lose him?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast "Sweet Whispers, Brother Rush" with "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe", another book in which children are transported into another world through a special portal.
Essay Topic 3
In a couple of places, characters do little dances when they are happy, or can't find words for their feelings. What do characters express without words, in "Sweet Whispers, Brother Rush"? What would they say if they had words--can you paraphrase what they are saying? Why do you think Virginia Hamilton gave them gestures instead of words?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)