|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who stays with Tree while M'Vy sees to Dab?
2. What does M'Vy admit to, after Tree finds pills in Dab's room?
3. How does the narrator say M'Vy feels when she takes care of Dab?
4. What does M'Vy say she should have done?
5. What does M'Vy tell Tree Ken loved?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Dab's admittance into the hospital.
2. What is Tree and M'Vy's relationship like, at the end of the book?
3. What happens that Dab gets taken to the hospital?
4. How is Silversmith described?
5. How does the narrator describe the relationship between M'Vy and Dab?
6. What does Tree see when she and M'Vy are transported back to the past together?
7. What does M'Vy tell Tree is wrong with Dab?
8. What does Tree learn from M'Vy about Dab's condition?
9. What does Tree learn when she sees Brother Rush after Dab's death?
10. What is Tree's nightmare?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do you think Tree's daughter would see if she were to find a little room in her own house, twenty or thirty years into the future? Will Tree tell her daughter everything, do you think, or will she be open about the things she is ashamed of?
Essay Topic 2
What are the advantages and disadvantages of Virginia Hamilton's writing in dialect? Does it make the story easier or harder to follow? Does it make you feel like the characters are more alive, or more like puppets? Where does the dialect really work? Where does it seem like it doesn't work as well?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Ken and Silversmith. How are they similar? How are they different? What are they like as people? What are they like as father figures for Tree?
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)