|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tree notice as being odd when she and Dab and Brother Rush get back in the car?
2. What happens when Tree goes to the little room?
3. Where does Tree say her knowledge about family came from?
4. What detail does Tree seize on in Brother Rush's story?
5. What does Tree insist on at the funeral?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tree see from the back seat of the car, when no one knows she is there?
2. What does Tree learn from M'Vy about Dab's condition?
3. What happens when M'Vy follows Tree into the little room?
4. What does Tree see when she and M'Vy are transported back to the past together?
5. What new information does Tree learn about Brother Rush's death, when they are checking in at the hospital?
6. What happens that Dab gets taken to the hospital?
7. What does Tree learn when she sees Brother Rush after Dab's death?
8. What does Tree see when she takes off Brother Rush's gloves?
9. What is Tree's nightmare?
10. What happens when Miss Pricherd cleans Dab's room?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Ken and Silversmith. How are they similar? How are they different? What are they like as people? What are they like as father figures for Tree?
Essay Topic 2
Do you think Tree will continue to go back into the past -- and into her own childhood -- from the little room? Or was her trip back into the past just part of her growing up and becoming the person she is in the present?
Essay Topic 3
Would you recommend Sweet Whispers, Brother Rush"? For what purposes would you recommend "Sweet Whispers, Brother Rush", and what kinds of readers would you not recommend it for? What book would you recommend that would cover the same material or tell the same story in a different way?
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)