|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Tree go back to?
2. How does Tree know Brother Rush's name?
3. How old is Dab?
4. What happens when Miss Pricherd opens the door to Tree's little room?
5. What feeling does Tree get about the woman?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Tree and Dab's relationship with their mother like?
2. What does Miss Pricherd see in the little room?
3. Describe the room in which Tree discovers Brother Rush.
4. What happens to Tree when she is cooking?
5. What do Tree and Dab's visions foreshadow?
6. How does "Sweet Whispers, Brother Rush" begin?
7. What does Dab see when he comes into the little room?
8. What is Tree as a cook?
9. What makes the baby happy?
10. Describe Tree's experience at Binnie's house.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Miss Pricherd and M'Vy. How are they similar? How are they different? Which one is a better mother figure for Tree? What are the advantages and disadvantages of either one, as a mother?
Essay Topic 2
What does Dab's illness seem to be, and how important is it that we know exactly what it is? Considering how his health affects the rest of the story, does it matter what it is, exactly?
Essay Topic 3
Write an evaluative review of "Sweet Whispers, Brother Rush". What is this book's place in culture? What are its uses? Who is its audience? What are its limitations?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)