|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tree know Brother Rush's name?
2. What makes the baby happy?
3. Who does Tree realize she is, in this vision?
4. Who does Tree find in her little room?
5. How does the narrator characterize Tree's feeling, standing in the little room with Brother Rush?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dab experience when Tree takes him to the little room?
2. What does Dab see when he comes into the little room?
3. What does Miss Pricherd see in the little room?
4. What happens when Tree finally gets to talk to her mother?
5. Describe Tree's experience at Binnie's house.
6. How does the narrator describe Brother Rush's driving?
7. What happens to Tree when she is cooking?
8. What does Tree tell Miss Pricherd about what she saw?
9. Describe Brother Rush as Tree first sees him.
10. How does the narrator describe the atmosphere in Tree's house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you think Tree will continue to go back into the past -- and into her own childhood -- from the little room? Or was her trip back into the past just part of her growing up and becoming the person she is in the present?
Essay Topic 2
What is missing from this book? What should have been covered or presented that was not? What is the effect of this absence? Describe an element that ought to have been covered, and explain why it would have made the book stronger.
Essay Topic 3
Evaluate your own reading of "Sweet Whispers, Brother Rush" -- did you resist it, or were you compelled by the story? What does your reading tell you about yourself and your interests? Use specific examples from the book to describe yourself as a reader.
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)