|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Tree say she turns on the light in the little room?
2. How long has Tree been sitting in the dark?
3. How did Brother Rush die?
4. What makes Tree realize that Brother Rush is a ghost?
5. Where does Tree feel like she is transported to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Tree and M'Vy talk about Dab?
2. What happens that wakes Tree up in the middle of the night?
3. Describe Tree's relationship with Miss Pricherd.
4. What interrupts Tree's first experience with Brother Rush?
5. What is Tree and Dab's relationship with their mother like?
6. How does the narrator describe the atmosphere in Tree's house?
7. How does Tree know anything about Brother Rush?
8. Describe Tree's experience at Binnie's house.
9. Where does brother come from, and go off to?
10. How do Tree and Dab wake up on Saturday morning?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Evaluate your own reading of "Sweet Whispers, Brother Rush" -- did you resist it, or were you compelled by the story? What does your reading tell you about yourself and your interests? Use specific examples from the book to describe yourself as a reader.
Essay Topic 2
What does Dab's illness seem to be, and how important is it that we know exactly what it is? Considering how his health affects the rest of the story, does it matter what it is, exactly?
Essay Topic 3
Where is the climax of this book? Are there different climaxes? What questions does each climax resolve? What questions does each climax leave unanswered?
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)