|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Dab?
2. What is Tree's response to the man on the stoop?
3. How does the narrator characterize Dab's intellectual power?
4. How does Tree know Brother Rush's name?
5. What had Tree prayed before she took Miss Pricherd back to the little room again?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the first time Tree sees Brother Rush.
2. What does Tree see when she is transported back to the past?
3. What does Miss Pricherd see in the little room?
4. Describe Tree's relationship with Miss Pricherd.
5. Where does brother come from, and go off to?
6. How is Dab described?
7. What does Dab experience when Tree takes him to the little room?
8. What interrupts Tree's first experience with Brother Rush?
9. What happens when Tree finally gets to talk to her mother?
10. Where is Tree transported to?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why are M'Vy and Tree able to reconcile at the end of "Sweet Whispers, Brother Rush"? What has changed that allows their relationship to go into the future?
Essay Topic 2
Evaluate your own reading of "Sweet Whispers, Brother Rush" -- did you resist it, or were you compelled by the story? What does your reading tell you about yourself and your interests? Use specific examples from the book to describe yourself as a reader.
Essay Topic 3
How does Tree change from the beginning of the book to the end? What has she learned, and how has she grown? How has her relationship with her mother changed?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)