|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes Tree realize that Brother Rush is a ghost?
2. What does Tree give Miss Pricherd?
3. How does Teresa respond to being noticed?
4. What makes M'Vy believe Tree when she says that Dab is sick?
5. What is M'Vy scared by?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does "Sweet Whispers, Brother Rush" begin?
2. What does Miss Pricherd see in the little room?
3. What does Tree see when she is transported back to the past?
4. How does the narrator describe Brother Rush's driving?
5. What is Tree as a cook?
6. What does Miss Pricherd see in the little room when Tree takes her back there?
7. How is Brother Rush's death described?
8. What happens to Tree when she is cooking?
9. How is Dab described?
10. Describe Brother Rush as Tree first sees him.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
M'Vy tells Tree that she had not told her much about her family because she wanted to keep a closed fist to beat fate. Does Tree try to beat fate, or how does she try to deal with fate's effect on her life? Who else has techniques for dealing with fate? How successful do these other techniques seem to be?
Essay Topic 2
Would you recommend Sweet Whispers, Brother Rush"? For what purposes would you recommend "Sweet Whispers, Brother Rush", and what kinds of readers would you not recommend it for? What book would you recommend that would cover the same material or tell the same story in a different way?
Essay Topic 3
Evaluate your own reading of "Sweet Whispers, Brother Rush" -- did you resist it, or were you compelled by the story? What does your reading tell you about yourself and your interests? Use specific examples from the book to describe yourself as a reader.
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)