|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tree approach the recognition that Brother Rush is her brother?
2. How does Tree know Brother Rush's name?
3. What is Tree like as a student?
4. How does the narrator characterize the relationship between Tree and Dab?
5. What makes Dab cry?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dab see when he comes into the little room?
2. What does Dab experience when Tree takes him to the little room?
3. What do Tree and Dab's visions foreshadow?
4. What happens when Tree finally gets to talk to her mother?
5. Describe Brother Rush as Tree first sees him.
6. What is Tree like as a student, and as a person?
7. How is Dab described?
8. What happens that wakes Tree up in the middle of the night?
9. How is Dab feeling when Tree goes to wake him up?
10. What does Tree see when she is transported back to the past?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast "Sweet Whispers, Brother Rush" with "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe", another book in which children are transported into another world through a special portal.
Essay Topic 2
Why are M'Vy and Tree able to reconcile at the end of "Sweet Whispers, Brother Rush"? What has changed that allows their relationship to go into the future?
Essay Topic 3
What is missing from this book? What should have been covered or presented that was not? What is the effect of this absence? Describe an element that ought to have been covered, and explain why it would have made the book stronger.
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)