|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the narrator characterize Tree's feeling, standing in the little room with Brother Rush?
2. What does Tree cook for Dab and herself?
3. Where does Tree try to get Dab to follow her?
4. Who does Tree always want to be held by?
5. How does Teresa respond to being noticed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes the baby happy?
2. How is Dab feeling when Tree goes to wake him up?
3. What is Tree as a cook?
4. How does "Sweet Whispers, Brother Rush" begin?
5. What is Tree and Dab's relationship with their mother like?
6. Describe Tree's relationship with Miss Pricherd.
7. How does the narrator describe Brother Rush's driving?
8. What happens when Tree finally gets to talk to her mother?
9. How is Brother Rush's death described?
10. How does the narrator describe the atmosphere in Tree's house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why are M'Vy and Tree able to reconcile at the end of "Sweet Whispers, Brother Rush"? What has changed that allows their relationship to go into the future?
Essay Topic 2
What are the rules for the alternate reality Tree travels to? Is it a dream, or is it really another time? Who else has the power to go back and forth? Do you think Tree will see Dab in her little room one day?
Essay Topic 3
How does Tree change from the beginning of the book to the end? What has she learned, and how has she grown? How has her relationship with her mother changed?
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)