|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dab see when he comes to the little room with her?
2. What is Dab upset about at dinner?
3. Why doesn't Dab get up?
4. What does Tree give Miss Pricherd when she leaves?
5. What does Tree do for Dab?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Tree and Dab's relationship with their mother like?
2. How is Dab described?
3. What happens to Tree when she is cooking?
4. How do Tree and Dab wake up on Saturday morning?
5. How does "Sweet Whispers, Brother Rush" begin?
6. Where does brother come from, and go off to?
7. What do Tree and Dab's visions foreshadow?
8. What interrupts Tree's first experience with Brother Rush?
9. How does Tree know anything about Brother Rush?
10. How does the narrator describe the atmosphere in Tree's house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you think Tree will continue to go back into the past -- and into her own childhood -- from the little room? Or was her trip back into the past just part of her growing up and becoming the person she is in the present?
Essay Topic 2
What does Tree get in return for the loss of her brother? Is she compensated, or does she simply lose him?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Miss Pricherd and M'Vy. How are they similar? How are they different? Which one is a better mother figure for Tree? What are the advantages and disadvantages of either one, as a mother?
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)