|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Dab?
2. How is "Sweet Whispers, Brother Rush" narrated?
3. What time of day does it always seem to be in Tree's house?
4. What is M'Vy scared by?
5. What does the man on the stoop remind Tree of?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does M'Vy say when Tree and Dab tell her about their experiences with Brother Rush?
2. What does Tree know about the people she sees in this new place?
3. Describe the room in which Tree discovers Brother Rush.
4. What does Tree learn from M'Vy about Dab's condition?
5. What prompts Tree to decide to leave home?
6. How is Dab described when Tree visits him in chapter 11?
7. How is Silversmith described?
8. What new information does Tree learn about Brother Rush's death, when they are checking in at the hospital?
9. What does Tree see from the back seat of the car, when no one knows she is there?
10. What are Tree's feelings about Dab's sickness?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the rules for the alternate reality Tree travels to? Is it a dream, or is it really another time? Who else has the power to go back and forth? Do you think Tree will see Dab in her little room one day?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast "Sweet Whispers, Brother Rush" with "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe", another book in which children are transported into another world through a special portal.
Essay Topic 3
What does Dab's illness seem to be, and how important is it that we know exactly what it is? Considering how his health affects the rest of the story, does it matter what it is, exactly?
This section contains 1,470 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)