Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tree reach for when she wakes up in the middle of the night?
2. What does Miss Pricherd do after opening the door?
3. Where does Tree try to get Dab to follow her?
4. How does the narrator characterize M'Vy when she comes into the little room with Tree?
5. What does Tree really resent about Miss Pricherd?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tree see when she takes off Brother Rush's gloves?
2. How is Dab described when Tree visits him in chapter 11?
3. Describe Tree's relationship with Miss Pricherd.
4. What happens that Dab gets taken to the hospital?
5. Describe Dab's admittance into the hospital.
6. How do Tree and Dab wake up on Saturday morning?
7. How is Brother Rush's death described?
8. How does the narrator describe the relationship between M'Vy and Dab?
9. How does the narrator describe the atmosphere in Tree's house?
10. Why does Tree get upset when M'Vy says that it is time to go out?
Write a character sketch of the author based on her style and content. What values does she hold dear? What do you think the author holds as hopes and fears? What kind of person do you think she may be? What can you find out about her online or in research? Anchor your sketch with passages in the book.
M'Vy tells Tree that she had not told her much about her family because she wanted to keep a closed fist to beat fate. Does Tree try to beat fate, or how does she try to deal with fate's effect on her life? Who else has techniques for dealing with fate? How successful do these other techniques seem to be?
Compare and contrast Miss Pricherd and M'Vy. How are they similar? How are they different? Which one is a better mother figure for Tree? What are the advantages and disadvantages of either one, as a mother?
This section contains 373 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)