|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tree approach the recognition that Brother Rush is her brother?
2. How does Dab make Brother Rush angry, in Tree's vision?
3. What makes Tree run out of her little room?
4. What does Dab see when he comes to the little room with her?
5. How old is Dab?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Tree like as a student, and as a person?
2. What does Dab experience when Tree takes him to the little room?
3. What does Tree learn when she sees Brother Rush after Dab's death?
4. Describe the room in which Tree discovers Brother Rush.
5. How is Brother Rush's death described?
6. What makes Tree think of Dab when she is at home alone?
7. How does Tree know anything about Brother Rush?
8. What interrupts Tree's first experience with Brother Rush?
9. What does Tree tell M'Vy about Dab's funeral?
10. Describe Tree's discovery of Dab's death.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Tree change from the beginning of the book to the end? What has she learned, and how has she grown? How has her relationship with her mother changed?
Essay Topic 2
Many stories of people living in poor circumstances are centered on the possibility that one day they'll live better lives, especially when children are involved, since everyone wants to think that children raised in poverty will be better taken care of in the future. What role does this storyline play in "Sweet Whispers, Brother Rush"? What hope do we have for Tree's future, and how does the story encourage us to believe that her future will be better than the present?
Essay Topic 3
In a couple of places, characters do little dances when they are happy, or can't find words for their feelings. What do characters express without words, in "Sweet Whispers, Brother Rush"? What would they say if they had words--can you paraphrase what they are saying? Why do you think Virginia Hamilton gave them gestures instead of words?
This section contains 1,479 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)