|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What answer does Brother Rush give to Tree's question?
2. What snaps Tree back to the present?
3. What does Tree check Dab for?
4. Why does Tree tell Dab to get up?
5. What had Tree prayed before she took Miss Pricherd back to the little room again?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Miss Pricherd see in the little room?
2. What is Tree and Dab's relationship with their mother like?
3. What happens to Tree when she is cooking?
4. What happens when Tree finally gets to talk to her mother?
5. What does Tree know about the people she sees in this new place?
6. How does the narrator describe the atmosphere in Tree's house?
7. Describe the first time Tree sees Brother Rush.
8. Describe Brother Rush as Tree first sees him.
9. What do Tree and Dab's visions foreshadow?
10. Where does brother come from, and go off to?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Where is the climax of this book? Are there different climaxes? What questions does each climax resolve? What questions does each climax leave unanswered?
Essay Topic 2
Evaluate your own reading of "Sweet Whispers, Brother Rush" -- did you resist it, or were you compelled by the story? What does your reading tell you about yourself and your interests? Use specific examples from the book to describe yourself as a reader.
Essay Topic 3
What are the advantages and disadvantages of Virginia Hamilton's writing in dialect? Does it make the story easier or harder to follow? Does it make you feel like the characters are more alive, or more like puppets? Where does the dialect really work? Where does it seem like it doesn't work as well?
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)