|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Tree always want to be held by?
2. How old is Dab?
3. What does Tree do when she sees her mother?
4. Where is Dab when Tree and M'Vy are in the little room?
5. What does Brother Rush do at night?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Tree's relationship with Miss Pricherd.
2. What happens to Tree when she is cooking?
3. How does Tree know anything about Brother Rush?
4. What does Dab see when he comes into the little room?
5. Describe Tree's experience at Binnie's house.
6. What does Miss Pricherd see in the little room when Tree takes her back there?
7. How does "Sweet Whispers, Brother Rush" begin?
8. What is Tree like as a student, and as a person?
9. How is Brother Rush's death described?
10. What does Tree see when she is transported back to the past?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why are M'Vy and Tree able to reconcile at the end of "Sweet Whispers, Brother Rush"? What has changed that allows their relationship to go into the future?
Essay Topic 2
How does Tree change from the beginning of the book to the end? What has she learned, and how has she grown? How has her relationship with her mother changed?
Essay Topic 3
What are the advantages and disadvantages of Virginia Hamilton's writing in dialect? Does it make the story easier or harder to follow? Does it make you feel like the characters are more alive, or more like puppets? Where does the dialect really work? Where does it seem like it doesn't work as well?
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)