|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tree cook for Dab and herself?
2. What does Dab see when he comes to the little room with her?
3. What does Tree give Miss Pricherd?
4. What snaps Tree back to the present?
5. Where is Tree whisked away to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Tree and Dab's visions foreshadow?
2. What is Tree and Dab's relationship with their mother like?
3. What does Miss Pricherd see in the little room?
4. How is Dab feeling when Tree goes to wake him up?
5. Describe the room in which Tree discovers Brother Rush.
6. What is Tree as a cook?
7. How is Brother Rush's death described?
8. How do Tree and Dab wake up on Saturday morning?
9. What does Dab see when he comes into the little room?
10. What makes the baby happy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the advantages and disadvantages of Virginia Hamilton's writing in dialect? Does it make the story easier or harder to follow? Does it make you feel like the characters are more alive, or more like puppets? Where does the dialect really work? Where does it seem like it doesn't work as well?
Essay Topic 2
Write an evaluative review of "Sweet Whispers, Brother Rush". What is this book's place in culture? What are its uses? Who is its audience? What are its limitations?
Essay Topic 3
What do you think Tree's daughter would see if she were to find a little room in her own house, twenty or thirty years into the future? Will Tree tell her daughter everything, do you think, or will she be open about the things she is ashamed of?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)