|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Tree thinking about when she arrives home?
2. What is the woman holding who Tree sees in this place?
3. What is Miss Pricherd there to do?
4. What does Tree ask Brother Rush?
5. What does Tree tell Dab to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Tree like as a student, and as a person?
2. How is Dab feeling when Tree goes to wake him up?
3. What does Tree see when she is transported back to the past?
4. Describe the first time Tree sees Brother Rush.
5. What does Tree know about the people she sees in this new place?
6. How is Dab described?
7. How does the narrator describe the atmosphere in Tree's house?
8. What happens that wakes Tree up in the middle of the night?
9. What makes the baby happy?
10. How do Tree and Dab wake up on Saturday morning?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
M'Vy tells Tree that she had not told her much about her family because she wanted to keep a closed fist to beat fate. Does Tree try to beat fate, or how does she try to deal with fate's effect on her life? Who else has techniques for dealing with fate? How successful do these other techniques seem to be?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Ken and Silversmith. How are they similar? How are they different? What are they like as people? What are they like as father figures for Tree?
Essay Topic 3
Write a character sketch of the author based on her style and content. What values does she hold dear? What do you think the author holds as hopes and fears? What kind of person do you think she may be? What can you find out about her online or in research? Anchor your sketch with passages in the book.
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)