|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does M'Vy do to Tree?
2. What does Dab do in the vision Tree has?
3. What does Tree really resent about Miss Pricherd?
4. What does Dab tell Tree that is meant to put her concerns to rest?
5. What does the man on the stoop remind Tree of?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Dab described?
2. What does Dab see when he comes into the little room?
3. What does Dab experience when Tree takes him to the little room?
4. Describe Brother Rush as Tree first sees him.
5. Describe the room in which Tree discovers Brother Rush.
6. What does Miss Pricherd see in the little room?
7. What happens to Tree when she is cooking?
8. What happens that wakes Tree up in the middle of the night?
9. Describe Tree's experience at Binnie's house.
10. How does "Sweet Whispers, Brother Rush" begin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Miss Pricherd and M'Vy. How are they similar? How are they different? Which one is a better mother figure for Tree? What are the advantages and disadvantages of either one, as a mother?
Essay Topic 2
What are the advantages and disadvantages of Virginia Hamilton's writing in dialect? Does it make the story easier or harder to follow? Does it make you feel like the characters are more alive, or more like puppets? Where does the dialect really work? Where does it seem like it doesn't work as well?
Essay Topic 3
In a couple of places, characters do little dances when they are happy, or can't find words for their feelings. What do characters express without words, in "Sweet Whispers, Brother Rush"? What would they say if they had words--can you paraphrase what they are saying? Why do you think Virginia Hamilton gave them gestures instead of words?
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)