|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Tree whisked away to?
2. What does Dab do all day?
3. How does the narrator say M'Vy's name was pronounced?
4. Why does Tree say she turns on the light in the little room?
5. Where is Dab when Tree and M'Vy are in the little room?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Dab described?
2. How is Brother Rush's death described?
3. Where is Tree transported to?
4. What happens when Tree finally gets to talk to her mother?
5. How does the narrator describe Brother Rush's driving?
6. Describe the first time Tree sees Brother Rush.
7. How does Tree know anything about Brother Rush?
8. How does "Sweet Whispers, Brother Rush" begin?
9. What does Tree tell Miss Pricherd about what she saw?
10. What happens to Tree when she is cooking?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Evaluate your own reading of "Sweet Whispers, Brother Rush" -- did you resist it, or were you compelled by the story? What does your reading tell you about yourself and your interests? Use specific examples from the book to describe yourself as a reader.
Essay Topic 2
M'Vy tells Tree that she had not told her much about her family because she wanted to keep a closed fist to beat fate. Does Tree try to beat fate, or how does she try to deal with fate's effect on her life? Who else has techniques for dealing with fate? How successful do these other techniques seem to be?
Essay Topic 3
Would you recommend Sweet Whispers, Brother Rush"? For what purposes would you recommend "Sweet Whispers, Brother Rush", and what kinds of readers would you not recommend it for? What book would you recommend that would cover the same material or tell the same story in a different way?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)