|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which literary term describes the dialogue?
2. What does Tree do for Dab?
3. What makes the baby happy?
4. How is "Sweet Whispers, Brother Rush" narrated?
5. What had Tree prayed before she took Miss Pricherd back to the little room again?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator describe Brother Rush's driving?
2. What does Miss Pricherd see in the little room?
3. What does Dab experience when Tree takes him to the little room?
4. Describe Tree's experience at Binnie's house.
5. What happens to Tree when she is cooking?
6. What does Tree see from the back seat of the car, when no one knows she is there?
7. Describe the first time Tree sees Brother Rush.
8. Where does brother come from, and go off to?
9. Describe Tree's relationship with Silversmith.
10. What does Tree learn from M'Vy about Dab's condition?
Essay Topic 1
Why are M'Vy and Tree able to reconcile at the end of "Sweet Whispers, Brother Rush"? What has changed that allows their relationship to go into the future?
Essay Topic 2
In a couple of places, characters do little dances when they are happy, or can't find words for their feelings. What do characters express without words, in "Sweet Whispers, Brother Rush"? What would they say if they had words--can you paraphrase what they are saying? Why do you think Virginia Hamilton gave them gestures instead of words?
Essay Topic 3
Write a character sketch of the author based on her style and content. What values does she hold dear? What do you think the author holds as hopes and fears? What kind of person do you think she may be? What can you find out about her online or in research? Anchor your sketch with passages in the book.
This section contains 1,439 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)