|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tree really resent about Miss Pricherd?
(a) She is a cheat.
(b) She is a liar.
(c) She is a sneak.
(d) She is dirty.
2. What does the man on the stoop remind Tree of?
(a) A do-wah singer.
(b) A beggar.
(c) A blues musician.
(d) A fighter.
3. What does Brother Rush do at night?
(a) Sing in a nightclub.
(b) Work at a meat packing plant.
(c) Play jazz.
(d) Deliver numbers.
4. What is the woman holding who Tree sees in this place?
(c) A horse's reins.
(d) A baby.
5. How does the narrator characterize Tree's feeling, standing in the little room with Brother Rush?
(a) She feels like she is not herself any more.
(b) She feels transported to a faraway place.
(c) She feels like she is dreaming, and anything is possible.
(d) She feels like the laws of time and gravity do not apply to her.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Tree look for Miss Pricherd first?
2. Where does Brother Rush take Tree and Dab?
3. What doe Brother Rush do to Dab, in Tree's vision?
4. What did Tree do in this private place?
5. What is Brother Rush holding in his hand?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Miss Pricherd see in the little room when Tree takes her back there?
2. Where is Tree transported to?
3. What happens when Tree finally gets to talk to her mother?
4. How is Dab described?
5. What happens when Tree and M'Vy talk about Dab?
6. What does Dab see when he comes into the little room?
7. Describe the first time Tree sees Brother Rush.
8. Describe the room in which Tree discovers Brother Rush.
9. How does "Sweet Whispers, Brother Rush" begin?
10. What does Tree know about the people she sees in this new place?
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)