|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does M'Vy know will happen when she takes Dab to the hospital?
(a) He will be cured for good.
(b) He will never leave.
(c) He will be taken from her.
(d) He will die.
2. What causes the car accident that kills Brother Rush?
(a) A child in the road.
(b) Another car.
(c) A dog in the road.
(d) A bicycle in the road.
3. What does Tree insist on at the funeral?
(a) Lots of flowers.
(b) An open casket.
(c) No casket.
(d) A closed casket.
4. How does Tree get from the car accident back to the little room?
(a) She closes her eyes.
(b) She climbs under the car and is back in the room.
(c) She blacks out in the accident.
(d) She goes through the trunk.
5. What does Miss Pricherd tell Tree?
(a) That she is going to live with her now.
(b) That Silversmith is going to move in and take care of her and M'Vy.
(c) That the family will be moving.
(d) That Dab will always be with her.
6. What happens when Tree goes to the little room?
(a) She sees Brother Rush's funeral.
(b) She sees scenes from M'Vy's childhood.
(c) Brother Rush tells her more stories.
(d) Brother Rush is not there.
7. What is Miss Pricherd doing, when Tree sees her?
(a) Throwing out Dab's things.
(b) Starting to box things up so M'Vy and Tree can move.
(c) Cleaning the kitchen.
(d) Cleaning Dab's room.
8. How does the narrator characterize Silversmith?
(a) An older version of Brother Rush.
(b) A large man with a graying afro.
(c) A slender man, beautiful and aloof, like Brother Rush.
(d) A large man with gentle, soft features.
9. How does Dab seem to be doing, when Tree, M'Vy and Silversmith look into his room?
(a) He is near death.
(b) About the same.
(d) A little worse.
10. What else does Tree realize in the vision?
(a) That Ken had wanted Brother Rush to die.
(b) That Brother Rush had caused the accident that killed him.
(c) That Ken had killed himself for grief over killing Brother Rush.
(d) That Brother Rush was not thrown from the car, he jumped.
11. Where does Tree find herself when she goes to see Brother Rush?
(a) At M'Vy's house.
(b) In Brother Rush's house.
(c) At Brother Rush's funeral.
(d) In the car.
12. What does M'Vy object to the things Tree tells her about he funeral?
(a) That Dab wouldn't notice what they did.
(b) It was what Tree wanted, not what Dab wanted.
(c) It isn't what Dab would want.
(d) She doesn't have the money.
13. What does M'Vy say she should have done?
(a) Stopped Dab from taking drugs.
(b) Have all the children tested.
(c) Had Dab inoculated.
(d) Taken Dab to the hospital much sooner.
14. Why does M'Vy say she kept quiet about her family?
(a) She says that she didn't understand what was happening at the time.
(b) She says that she wanted to avoid repeating the patterns in the story.
(c) She says that wanted to beat fate.
(d) She says that she was afraid of what would happen if the children knew the stories.
15. What does the narrator say is the result of Tree describing details of Brother Rush's accident?
(a) It makes Tree distrust her mother.
(b) It unnerves M'Vy.
(c) It makes M'Vy distrust her.
(d) It makes the ghost more real.
Short Answer Questions
1. What wakes Tree up, after she decides to run away?
2. What was M'Vy's experience in the little room?
3. What does Tree realize as her mother tells her stories?
4. What does M'Vy say Dab and Brother Rush had in common?
5. What did Dab die of?
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)