|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is the Brother Rush driving in the car?
(a) A teenager.
(c) A child around ten.
(d) Middle aged.
2. What is Tree's nightmare?
(a) That she fell from a high wire.
(b) That she could not keep Dab from falling from a high wire.
(c) That M'Vy could not save her and Dab from falling.
(d) That the ground opened up beneath her and Dab.
3. What is Miss Pricherd doing, when Tree sees her?
(a) Starting to box things up so M'Vy and Tree can move.
(b) Cleaning Dab's room.
(c) Cleaning the kitchen.
(d) Throwing out Dab's things.
4. What wakes Tree up, after she decides to run away?
(a) Her mother and Silversmith are getting ready to go out.
(b) She hears an odd noise from the little room.
(c) She thought she heard Dab calling her.
(d) Miss Pricherd is cleaning Dab's room.
5. What does M'Vy say she should have done?
(a) Stopped Dab from taking drugs.
(b) Have all the children tested.
(c) Taken Dab to the hospital much sooner.
(d) Had Dab inoculated.
6. What does M'Vy tell Tree about Ken?
(a) He is still alive but she does not know where he is.
(b) He is in prison for the accident that killed Brother Rush.
(c) He died shortly after the accident that killed Brother Rush.
(d) He lives in New Orleans and sends money when he can.
7. What does the narrator say is the result of Tree describing details of Brother Rush's accident?
(a) It makes the ghost more real.
(b) It unnerves M'Vy.
(c) It makes Tree distrust her mother.
(d) It makes M'Vy distrust her.
8. How does Dab seem to be doing, when Tree, M'Vy and Silversmith look into his room?
(a) A little worse.
(c) He is near death.
(d) About the same.
9. What does the narrator say Dab is suffering from, in addition to illness?
(a) Food poisoning.
(b) Congenital blood diseases.
(d) Birth defects.
10. What does Tree realize when she is in the vision?
(a) That M'Vy was not responsible.
(b) That Dab is dead.
(c) That it's possible to communicate with the dead.
(d) That Brother Rush is a figment of her imagination.
11. What are Tree's feelings in the hospital?
(a) She is afraid and upset.
(b) She is curious about everything.
(c) She is frustrated by the long wait before anything can be done.
(d) She is reassured by the doctors and nurses.
12. What does M'Vy insist will be the fastest way to get Dab help?
(a) To take Dab directly to the substance abuse ward.
(b) To call an ambulance.
(c) To go to the Emergency Room.
(d) To go through General Admittance.
13. Why does M'Vy say she kept quiet about her family?
(a) She says that she didn't understand what was happening at the time.
(b) She says that she was afraid of what would happen if the children knew the stories.
(c) She says that wanted to beat fate.
(d) She says that she wanted to avoid repeating the patterns in the story.
14. What does M'Vy admit to, after Tree finds pills in Dab's room?
(a) Being in denial.
(b) Hating Dab.
(c) Hating herself.
(d) Despairing about ever helping Dab.
15. How does the narrator characterize the relationship between Tree and Don?
(a) They become friends slowly.
(b) They bristle at each other.
(c) They hit it off.
(d) They are wary and standoffish toward each other.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tree tell M'Vy about Brother Rush?
2. What causes the car accident that kills Brother Rush?
3. What do M'Vy, Tree and Silversmith have to do before they can see Dab?
4. What is Tree's response when M'Vy comes home?
5. What does Tree want her mother to explain to her?
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)