|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does M'Vy tell Tree to do?
(a) Do her homework and be a good girl.
(c) Make a cad for her brother.
(d) Walk to the hospital.
2. Why does M'Vy say she kept quiet about her family?
(a) She says that she didn't understand what was happening at the time.
(b) She says that she wanted to avoid repeating the patterns in the story.
(c) She says that she was afraid of what would happen if the children knew the stories.
(d) She says that wanted to beat fate.
3. What threat does Tree make, when she and M'Vy disagree about the funeral?
(a) To run away.
(b) To hurt herself.
(c) To hurt M'Vy.
(d) To tell Silversmith about M'Vy.
4. Who is driving with Brother Rush?
(b) Tree's father.
(d) Brother Rush's girlfriend.
5. What does M'Vy say Dab and Brother Rush had in common?
(a) A rare blood condition.
(b) The urge to get better.
(c) The desire to have their own way without understanding themselves.
(d) The urge to die.
6. Where does Tree find herself when she goes to see Brother Rush?
(a) At M'Vy's house.
(b) In the car.
(c) In Brother Rush's house.
(d) At Brother Rush's funeral.
7. What does Tree tell M'Vy about the funeral?
(a) Who should perform the service.
(b) Who should be invited.
(c) What Dab wants for a tombstone.
(d) Where it should be held.
8. What does Tree insist on at the funeral?
(a) A closed casket.
(b) Lots of flowers.
(c) No casket.
(d) An open casket.
9. What happens when Tree goes to the little room?
(a) She sees scenes from M'Vy's childhood.
(b) Brother Rush is not there.
(c) Brother Rush tells her more stories.
(d) She sees Brother Rush's funeral.
10. What could Tree tell by the way M'Vy walked into the house, at the beginning of Chapter 15?
(a) That Dab was getting better.
(b) That she was responsible for Dab's condition.
(c) That Dab was going to die.
(d) That Dab was dead.
11. What does Tree notice as being odd when she and Dab and Brother Rush get back in the car?
(a) Brother Rush is driving slowly and delicately.
(b) Brother Rush keeps his hat on.
(c) Brother Rush won't talk with them.
(d) Brother Rush is telling stories Tree doesn't understand.
12. How does the narrator characterize the relationship between Tree and Don?
(a) They bristle at each other.
(b) They become friends slowly.
(c) They are wary and standoffish toward each other.
(d) They hit it off.
13. Who is Don?
(a) One of M'Vy's brothers.
(b) Silversmith's son.
(c) Silversmith's father.
(d) A ghost.
14. What does M'Vy hint is wrong with Dab?
(a) Religious retribution for her sins.
(b) A birth defect.
(c) A childhood accident.
(d) A blood illness.
15. What does Tree realize as her mother tells her stories?
(a) That it never mattered to her, who her father had been.
(b) That she has never asked questions.
(c) That she never knew where she came from.
(d) That her mother has been gone a lot of the time.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tree get from the car accident back to the little room?
2. What did Dab die of?
3. What does Silversmith learn about M'Vy as M'Vy tells stories to Tree?
4. What does M'Vy apologize to Tree for?
5. What does Tree tell M'Vy about Brother Rush?
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)