|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the narrator say M'Vy has always treated Dab?
(a) She made allowance for his debility.
(b) She got impatient with him.
(c) She blamed him for being a half-wit.
(d) She beat him when he could not do things.
2. What does M'Vy insist will be the fastest way to get Dab help?
(a) To go through General Admittance.
(b) To take Dab directly to the substance abuse ward.
(c) To go to the Emergency Room.
(d) To call an ambulance.
3. How does the narrator say M'Vy feels when she takes care of Dab?
(a) Less guilty.
(b) More concerned.
(c) More desperate.
(d) More miserable.
4. What could Tree tell by the way M'Vy walked into the house, at the beginning of Chapter 15?
(a) That Dab was dead.
(b) That Dab was going to die.
(c) That Dab was getting better.
(d) That she was responsible for Dab's condition.
5. Why does M'Vy say she kept quiet about her family?
(a) She says that she didn't understand what was happening at the time.
(b) She says that she wanted to avoid repeating the patterns in the story.
(c) She says that wanted to beat fate.
(d) She says that she was afraid of what would happen if the children knew the stories.
6. What did Dab die of?
(c) The simple flu.
(d) Respiratory paralysis.
7. Who is Don?
(a) Silversmith's father.
(b) Silversmith's son.
(c) A ghost.
(d) One of M'Vy's brothers.
8. What detail does Tree seize on in Brother Rush's story?
(a) Other family members.
(b) Other car accidents in the family.
(c) Other brothers.
(d) Other disappearing fathers.
9. What happens when Tree goes to the little room?
(a) Brother Rush tells her more stories.
(b) Brother Rush is not there.
(c) She sees Brother Rush's funeral.
(d) She sees scenes from M'Vy's childhood.
10. What does M'Vy object to the things Tree tells her about he funeral?
(a) It was what Tree wanted, not what Dab wanted.
(b) She doesn't have the money.
(c) It isn't what Dab would want.
(d) That Dab wouldn't notice what they did.
11. How does Tree get from the car accident back to the little room?
(a) She closes her eyes.
(b) She climbs under the car and is back in the room.
(c) She blacks out in the accident.
(d) She goes through the trunk.
12. What does M'Vy know will happen when she takes Dab to the hospital?
(a) He will be taken from her.
(b) He will be cured for good.
(c) He will never leave.
(d) He will die.
13. What makes Tree erupt and scream at M'Vy and Silversmith?
(a) M'Vy treats her as a child in front of Silversmith.
(b) M'Vy doesn't believe her.
(c) M'Vy wants to leave Dab home alone.
(d) M'Vy goes to leave with Silversmith.
14. What is Tree's response when M'Vy comes home?
(a) She becomes hysterical.
(b) She tries to convince her how sick Dab is.
(c) She runs to the little room looking for Brother Rush.
(d) She tries to hide from her.
15. What does Tree feel when the note on the fridge makes her laugh?
(a) Relief, as if now things will be alright.
(b) Guilty for laughing while Dab is sick.
(c) Guilty for not being with Dab in the hospital.
(d) Delighted by Silversmith's sense of humor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tree think when she finds pills in Dab's room?
2. What does Tree tell M'Vy about Brother Rush?
3. What does M'Vy tell Tree?
4. How does Miss Pricherd respond when Tree calls her by her nickname?
5. Where does M'Vy say Dab is, when she finds Tree again?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)