|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What makes Tree realize that Brother Rush is a ghost?
(a) He is translucent.
(b) He vaporizes.
(c) He is standing in the middle of a table.
(d) He cannot speak.
2. How does Teresa respond to being noticed?
(a) She clutches her books to her.
(b) She calls back rowdily.
(c) She pretends she is not noticed.
(d) She screams and runs away.
3. Who else does Tree play with, in this vision?
(a) Her father.
(b) Children she doesn't know.
(c) Her mother.
4. How does the narrator characterize the relationship between Tree and Dab?
(a) They finish each other's sentences.
(b) They respect each other's privacy.
(c) They ignore each other as much as possible.
(d) They help each other with everything.
5. Where is Tree whisked away to?
(a) Miss Pricherd's home.
(c) A car with M'Vy and Dab.
(d) A house where her mother is working.
6. What is Tree like as a student?
(a) She lags.
7. Why doesn't Dab get up?
(a) He says that everything hurts.
(b) He is tired from being up all night.
(c) He is sick.
(d) He is lazy.
8. What does Tree cook for Dab and herself?
(a) Eggs and toast.
(c) Chicken and rice.
(d) Macaroni and cheese.
9. How long has Tree been sitting in the dark?
(a) A few minutes.
(b) Two hours.
(c) Almost an hour.
(d) A few hours.
10. What feeling does Tree get about the woman?
(a) That the baby is Brother Rush.
(b) That she is the woman and the baby.
(c) That she is the woman's sister.
(d) That the baby is her mother.
11. What does Tree do for Dab?
(a) She cleans his room.
(b) She makes Miss Pricherd go away.
(c) She washes him in bed.
(d) She makes breakfast.
12. How did Brother Rush die?
(a) In an accident at the plant.
(b) In a car accident.
(c) In a knife fight.
13. What sound woke Tree?
(a) Brother Rush appearing beside her.
(b) Her own screams in a dream.
(c) Dab's cries.
(d) M'Vy putting her purse down.
14. How does Tree approach the recognition that Brother Rush is her brother?
(a) She wonders 'why me'.
(b) She is grateful for the knowledge.
(c) She is incredulous.
(d) She is afraid.
15. How does the narrator characterize Tree's feeling, standing in the little room with Brother Rush?
(a) She feels like she is not herself any more.
(b) She feels like she is dreaming, and anything is possible.
(c) She feels like the laws of time and gravity do not apply to her.
(d) She feels transported to a faraway place.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tree check Dab for?
2. What is Miss Pricherd there to do?
3. Where is Dab when Tree and M'Vy are in the little room?
4. Why doesn't Tree appreciate Miss Pricherd's arrival?
5. How is "Sweet Whispers, Brother Rush" narrated?
This section contains 503 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)