|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does one of Tree's teachers suggest she take?
(a) A test to qualify for a scholarship.
(b) Some time off.
(c) Advanced classes.
(d) Vocational courses.
2. How is "Sweet Whispers, Brother Rush" narrated?
(a) Third person omniscient.
(b) Second person.
(c) First person.
(d) Third person limited.
3. What doe Brother Rush do to Dab, in Tree's vision?
(a) Comforts him.
(b) Throws him out of the car.
(c) Throws him into the back seat.
(d) Puts him upright on his lap in the front seat.
4. What does the man on the stoop remind Tree of?
(a) A beggar.
(b) A blues musician.
(c) A do-wah singer.
(d) A fighter.
5. How does Tree know Brother Rush's name?
(a) It just comes to her.
(b) He tells her.
(c) Her friends told her.
(d) His clothing is embroidered with it.
6. What does Tree reach for when she wakes up in the middle of the night?
(a) A knife.
(b) A whistle.
(c) Tear gas.
(d) A flashlight.
7. What does Tree see when she returns to the room?
(a) Brother Rush has replaced the vision she saw at first.
(b) Brother Rush is older.
(c) Brother Rush is still there.
(d) Her mother has chased Brother Rush out of the room.
8. What feeling does Tree get about the woman?
(a) That she is the woman and the baby.
(b) That she is the woman's sister.
(c) That the baby is her mother.
(d) That the baby is Brother Rush.
9. Why doesn't Dab get up?
(a) He is tired from being up all night.
(b) He is sick.
(c) He says that everything hurts.
(d) He is lazy.
10. Whose eyes did Tree realize she was seeing through?
(a) Brother Rush's.
(b) Her mother's.
(c) A stranger's.
(d) Her grandmother's.
11. How old is Teresa?
12. Why doesn't Tree appreciate Miss Pricherd's arrival?
(a) She always invites all her friends over.
(b) She always makes a big mess of things.
(c) She always stays too long and asks too many questions.
(d) She always eats all the food in the house.
13. Where is Dab when Tree and M'Vy are in the little room?
(a) In the living room reading.
(b) In bed.
(c) In the doorway.
(d) In the kitchen.
14. How does the narrator say M'Vy's name was pronounced?
(a) Softly, with longing and melancholy.
(b) Softly, with tenderness.
(c) Assertively, with confidence.
15. When does Chapter 5 begin?
(a) Monday morning.
(b) Sunday night.
(c) Friday afternoon.
(d) Saturday morning.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tree ask Brother Rush?
2. What sound woke Tree?
3. What snaps Tree back to the present?
4. What is Tree thinking about when she arrives home?
5. What is Brother Rush holding in his hand?
This section contains 473 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)