|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who notices Teresa?
(a) Her brother.
(b) Her mother.
(c) Boys on the corner.
(d) Her teachers.
2. What is Dab upset about at dinner?
(a) His stomach hurts.
(b) He is confused about Brother Rush.
(c) He is afraid M'Vy won't come home.
(d) He didn't know where Tree went when she was in the vision with Brother Rush.
3. What does the man on the stoop remind Tree of?
(a) A beggar.
(b) A blues musician.
(c) A fighter.
(d) A do-wah singer.
4. How does Tree approach the recognition that Brother Rush is her brother?
(a) She is incredulous.
(b) She is grateful for the knowledge.
(c) She wonders 'why me'.
(d) She is afraid.
5. What is Teresa doing at the beginning of "Sweet Whispers, Brother Rush"?
(a) Her homework.
(b) Taking care of the brothers.
(c) Shopping with her mother.
(d) Walking home from school.
6. What does Dab tell Tree that is meant to put her concerns to rest?
(a) That he can still roll over.
(b) That he is feeling much better.
(c) That he is thinking about going to school today.
(d) That he is going to die soon.
7. Why does Tree tell Dab to get up?
(a) Miss Pricherd has to clean his room.
(b) It is time for his lessons.
(c) They have to go shopping.
(d) She wants time to herself.
8. What happens when Miss Pricherd opens the door to Tree's little room?
(a) She sees Brother Rush.
(b) Tree screams.
(c) Nothing happens.
(d) Tree comes barging in.
9. Where is Tree whisked away to?
(a) A house where her mother is working.
(b) Miss Pricherd's home.
(c) A car with M'Vy and Dab.
10. How does the narrator characterize the relationship between Tree and Dab?
(a) They help each other with everything.
(b) They respect each other's privacy.
(c) They finish each other's sentences.
(d) They ignore each other as much as possible.
11. What does Tree check Dab for?
(b) Blood sugar.
12. What does Tree give Miss Pricherd when she leaves?
(b) A marketing list.
13. What is M'Vy scared by?
(a) Miss Pricherd's nervousness.
(b) Dab's health.
(c) Brother Rush's driving.
(d) The darkness in the house.
14. Where does Tree look for Miss Pricherd first?
(a) Her room.
(b) The little room.
(c) The kitchen.
(d) Dab's room.
15. What does one of Tree's teachers suggest she take?
(a) A test to qualify for a scholarship.
(b) Vocational courses.
(c) Advanced classes.
(d) Some time off.
Short Answer Questions
1. What time of day does it always seem to be in Tree's house?
2. Who is Dab?
3. Where does Tree try to get Dab to follow her?
4. What is Brother Rush holding in his hand?
5. How does the narrator say M'Vy's name was pronounced?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)