|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is "Sweet Whispers, Brother Rush" narrated?
(a) Third person omniscient.
(b) First person.
(c) Second person.
(d) Third person limited.
2. What does one of Tree's teachers suggest she take?
(a) A test to qualify for a scholarship.
(b) Some time off.
(c) Advanced classes.
(d) Vocational courses.
3. What time of day does it always seem to be in Tree's house?
4. What is Tree thinking about when she arrives home?
(a) Her hunger.
(b) Brother Rush.
(c) Her grades.
(d) The rainy weekend.
5. Which literary term describes the dialogue?
6. Who notices Teresa?
(a) Boys on the corner.
(b) Her brother.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Her teachers.
7. How does Tree know Brother Rush's name?
(a) It just comes to her.
(b) He tells her.
(c) Her friends told her.
(d) His clothing is embroidered with it.
8. How does the narrator characterize M'Vy when she comes into the little room with Tree?
(d) Very scared.
9. Where does Brother Rush take Tree and Dab?
(a) To his house.
(b) To a jazz club.
(c) To a baseball game.
(d) To the park.
10. How did Brother Rush die?
(a) In a knife fight.
(c) In a car accident.
(d) In an accident at the plant.
11. What does Tree tell Miss Pricherd about the little room?
(a) Her brother visited her there.
(b) The room is magical.
(c) She had hallucinated.
(d) There wasn't anyone there.
12. What does Miss Pricherd do after opening the door?
(a) Goes to the kitchen.
(b) Falls to her knees.
(c) Rushes in.
(d) Nearly faints.
13. What does Tree tell Dab to do?
(a) Leave her alone.
(b) Take a bath.
(c) His homework.
(d) Help her clean her room.
14. Who else does Tree play with, in this vision?
(a) Children she doesn't know.
(b) Her father.
(c) Her mother.
15. How old is Teresa?
Short Answer Questions
1. What doe Brother Rush do to Dab, in Tree's vision?
2. What does Tree check Dab for?
3. Why does Tree tell Dab to get up?
4. How does Tree characterize the man on the stoop?
5. What does Tree ask Brother Rush?
This section contains 408 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)