|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tree reach for when she wakes up in the middle of the night?
(a) A whistle.
(b) A flashlight.
(c) Tear gas.
(d) A knife.
2. Who does Tree realize she is, in this vision?
(a) The baby.
(b) The house.
(c) The field.
(d) The woman.
3. What is Tree like as a student?
(b) She lags.
4. How does Tree know Brother Rush's name?
(a) He tells her.
(b) His clothing is embroidered with it.
(c) Her friends told her.
(d) It just comes to her.
5. How does Tree approach the recognition that Brother Rush is her brother?
(a) She is afraid.
(b) She is grateful for the knowledge.
(c) She wonders 'why me'.
(d) She is incredulous.
6. What does Tree's mother do for work?
(a) She is a nurse.
(b) She is a legal secretary.
(c) She is a doctor.
(d) She is a cashier.
7. Where does Brother Rush take Tree and Dab?
(a) To a baseball game.
(b) To his house.
(c) To a jazz club.
(d) To the park.
8. How did Brother Rush die?
(a) In a car accident.
(c) In an accident at the plant.
(d) In a knife fight.
9. What is Tree's response to the man on the stoop?
(a) She is sympathetic.
(b) She is afraid.
(c) She is intimidated.
(d) She is smitten.
10. What does Brother Rush do at night?
(a) Sing in a nightclub.
(b) Deliver numbers.
(c) Play jazz.
(d) Work at a meat packing plant.
11. How does the narrator characterize the relationship between Tree and Dab?
(a) They ignore each other as much as possible.
(b) They finish each other's sentences.
(c) They help each other with everything.
(d) They respect each other's privacy.
12. Who else does Tree play with, in this vision?
(a) Her mother.
(b) Her father.
(d) Children she doesn't know.
13. How does the narrator say M'Vy's name was pronounced?
(a) Softly, with tenderness.
(b) Assertively, with confidence.
(d) Softly, with longing and melancholy.
14. Why does Tree tell Dab to get up?
(a) They have to go shopping.
(b) She wants time to herself.
(c) Miss Pricherd has to clean his room.
(d) It is time for his lessons.
15. What is M'Vy scared by?
(a) Brother Rush's driving.
(b) Dab's health.
(c) The darkness in the house.
(d) Miss Pricherd's nervousness.
Short Answer Questions
1. For how long at a time will Tree and her brother be left along?
2. What does Tree do for Dab?
3. What does Tree tell Dab to do?
4. What is Brother Rush holding in his hand?
5. Who does Tree always want to be held by?
This section contains 437 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)