|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Catherine goes to develop the film from Tom's camera, what are the pictures of?
2. Who does Randall bring with him to Catherine's house after she discovers Tom's body?
3. Which of Tom's last photos does Catherine choose to include in the newspaper?
4. What is Catherine doing when she receives a call from Mrs. Barnes?
5. Why didn't Betty tell anyone about the information she gave Catherine until now?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In most novels, setting can play a big part in the development of the novel and the characters. Describe the town of Lowfield as the setting of the novel. How is the novel affected by the fact that it is set in a small town? Provide examples. Would the novel have played out differently if it had been set somewhere else? How?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss some of the literary devices used in the novel including foreshadowing, metaphor, mood, imagery and others that are present in the novel "Sweet and Deadly." Provide examples of where these devices are used and how they impact the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Writing style is an important element for an author in writing a novel and is usually unique to a specific author or genre. Discuss the writing style of the author of the writing techniques that she employs in "Sweet and Deadly." What do we learn in the novel through the style that the author employs? Why does the author choose to have Catherine be so introspective? How do we gain insight into the novel and its characters through the writing style and writing techniques employed in the novel?
This section contains 338 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)