|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Catherine, when was the last time she spoke to Leona before her death?
2. Who are Catherine's neighbors?
3. Who is the author of "Sweet and Deadly?"
4. What was the person Catherine saw on her way out to the tenant shack driving?
5. What does Catherine point out to Tom in his house that connects to part of hers?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Catherine's own idea of her present image in Lowfield and how does she feel about it?
2. What is Catherine doing at the beginning of the novel?
3. What information does Betty Eakins give to Catherine that could possibly help Catherine solve the crime?
4. How do the people of Lowfield react toward Catherine after she discovers Leona's body? What does Catherine compare it to?
5. How does Catherine know that Tom is in trouble in Chapter 11?
6. What does Catherine's state of mind appear to be in the beginning of the novel?
7. What do we learn about Catherine's parents in Chapter 2 and under what circumstances is this information revealed?
8. The reader is introduced to Tom Mascalco in the previous chapter but more is revealed about him in Chapter 6. Describe Tom Mascalco and his relationship with Catherine.
9. Why does Leila want to hide any evidence of her presence in Tom's house? What do she and Catherine do to accomplish this? Why does Catherine help and lie for her?
10. What does Jewel Crenna reveal to Catherine regarding Martin Barnes? How has Catherine's statement to the sheriff affected Martin Barnes' private life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Just as there are main characters interacting with Catherine in the novel, there are a peppering of minor characters that play a role in the novel's development. Discuss the minor characters and their place in the development of the story. Include in your discussion the characters of Betty Eakins, Martin Barnes, Jewel Crenna, Leila Masham and Salton Sims.
Essay Topic 2
The novel "Sweet and Deadly" is categorized in the mystery genre. Explain the key concepts in a murder mystery and point out if and where these concepts are present in the novel. How does this novel differ from a "traditional" murder mystery? What are the most important elements in the novel that make for a complete murder mystery?
Essay Topic 3
In most novels, setting can play a big part in the development of the novel and the characters. Describe the town of Lowfield as the setting of the novel. How is the novel affected by the fact that it is set in a small town? Provide examples. Would the novel have played out differently if it had been set somewhere else? How?
This section contains 1,478 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)