|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who comes to visit Catherine in Chapter 5?
(a) Tom Mascalco.
(b) Randall Gerrard.
(c) Sheriff Galton.
(d) Betty Eakins.
2. What does Catherine find in the tenant shack?
(a) A sick farmer.
(c) Freshly baked pies.
(d) A dead body.
3. Who does Catherine tell the sheriff she saw on her way out to the tenant shack?
(a) Betty Eakins.
(b) Tom Mascalco.
(c) Martin Barnes.
(d) Carl Perkins.
4. After Catherine tells the sheriff about her discovery, which of the following does he NOT offer her?
(a) A cigarette.
(b) A tranquilizer.
(c) A drink.
(d) A ride home.
5. Which of the following does NOT describe Carl Perkins?
(a) He is the county coroner.
(b) He is Catherine's neighbor.
(c) He drives a white Lincoln.
(d) He is interested in Catherine romantically.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Catherine's last name?
2. Which of the following does NOT describe Tom?
3. What is the name of Sally Boone's baby?
4. Who taught Catherine how to shoot?
5. Where is the library located?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the killer? What is his or her medical diagnosis and why does it lead to murder?
2. What is the procedure at the crime scene as explained by Sheriff Galton?
3. What is the point of the buzzer that Catherine points out to Tom in his house? Does the author's inclusion of this indicate anything in the novel?
4. Describe Molly Perkins' apparent emotional state when Catherine pays the Perkins a visit in Chapter 9. Why does Catherine believe she is acting the way she is? What does Carl tell Catherine is Molly's reason for acting strangely?
5. How does Randall explain his feelings to Catherine? What had he done to get her to notice him? How did he feel when she did not notice him?
6. Who does Randall fear that Leona may have blackmailed and why? How would Leona have gotten this information?
7. What do we learn about the death of Catherine's parents in Chapter 4? How does it connect with Leona Gaites?
8. What is Catherine's own idea of her present image in Lowfield and how does she feel about it?
9. How did Catherine feel about Leona Gaites?
10. How is the relationship of Catherine and Randall advanced by the dramatic situation they find themselves in after Leona's and then Tom's death?
This section contains 1,408 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)