|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Catherine wearing when she learned about the death of her parents?
(a) Blue jeans.
(b) A dress.
(c) A uniform.
(d) A linen suit.
2. What is the name of the librarian?
(a) Mrs. Lowton.
(b) Mrs. Weilenmann.
(c) Mrs. Johnson.
(d) Mrs. Whitman.
3. Where did Leona Gaites die?
(a) In her house.
(b) In the old tenant shack.
(c) In the hospital.
(d) In Catherine's father's office.
4. What is the name of Sally Boone's baby?
5. Why did Tom ask Catherine for a beer?
(a) He wanted to go fishing.
(b) To show he had been at her house before.
(c) He wanted to offer it to Randall.
(d) Because he is an alcoholic.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Catherine doing out at the tenant shack?
2. What does Catherine compare the town's reaction to her discovery of Leona's body to?
3. What is Catherine pestered by when she is out at the tenant shack?
4. Why did Catherine feel obligated to be kind to the new doctor in Lowfield?
5. What is Catherine's last name?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Catherine's explanation for why her father's old office is so close to her home?
2. What was Catherine and Randall's relationship like prior to the incident of Catherine discovering Leona Gaites' body? Why does the relationship head in a different directions afterward?
3. What do we learn about the death of Catherine's parents in Chapter 4? How does it connect with Leona Gaites?
4. From the descriptions in Chapter 1, describe where this novel is taking place.
5. Who does the body that Catherine discovers turn out to be and why is the sheriff disturbed at the discovery?
6. Who does Randall fear that Leona may have blackmailed and why? How would Leona have gotten this information?
7. Catherine receives a telephone call from Sally, Martin Barnes' daughter. She is calling to offer her condolences, but she also offers up some information about Martin. What is that information, and what does Catherine deduce as a result of the information?
8. Who is interested in Tom Mascalco? Why does this person confide in Catherine? What is this person's reaction to Catherine and Tom's friendship?
9. Explain why Catherine has to drive Tom to work on Tuesday and Leila's reaction to seeing them together.
10. How is the relationship of Catherine and Randall advanced by the dramatic situation they find themselves in after Leona's and then Tom's death?
This section contains 1,531 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)