|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Molly Perkins bring to Catherine's house?
(a) Fried chicken.
(c) Apple pie.
2. What is Catherine doing out at the tenant shack?
(b) Target practice.
(c) Visiting a farmer.
(d) Surveying the property.
3. After Catherine tells the sheriff about her discovery, which of the following does he NOT offer her?
(a) A tranquilizer.
(b) A drink.
(c) A cigarette.
(d) A ride home.
4. Which of the following does NOT describe Carl Perkins?
(a) He is the county coroner.
(b) He is interested in Catherine romantically.
(c) He is Catherine's neighbor.
(d) He drives a white Lincoln.
5. Where is the sheriff's office located?
(a) Near Catherine's house.
(b) Next to the post office.
(c) Outside of town.
(d) In front of the old jail.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does NOT describe Molly Perkins?
2. What is Catherine pestered by when she is out at the tenant shack?
3. What was Catherine wearing when she learned about the death of her parents?
4. How old is Catherine?
5. How long had Tom worked for Randall?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Catherine receive a call from while she is on her lunch break on Tuesday? What does this person accuse Catherine of and what is her response?
2. Who does Randall fear that Leona may have blackmailed and why? How would Leona have gotten this information?
3. What is the atmosphere at work like on Tuesday? When is the newspaper deadline and what mishaps occur to stress the workers of the paper?
4. Describe Molly Perkins' apparent emotional state when Catherine pays the Perkins a visit in Chapter 9. Why does Catherine believe she is acting the way she is? What does Carl tell Catherine is Molly's reason for acting strangely?
5. What does Catherine tell Randall that she wants for her parents? What does this say about her part in the novel?
6. Why doesn't Catherine stop at either of the two houses on the dirt road to ask for help?
7. How does Randall explain his feelings to Catherine? What had he done to get her to notice him? How did he feel when she did not notice him?
8. Why does Catherine decide to solve the crime by herself and not go to the police or Randall for help first?
9. What information does Betty Eakins give to Catherine that could possibly help Catherine solve the crime?
10. How does Catherine know that Tom is in trouble in Chapter 11?
This section contains 1,506 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)