|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Catherine compare the town's reaction to her discovery of Leona's body to?
(a) Having a new baby.
(b) A death in her family.
(d) Her leaving home for school.
2. What is the name of the dispatcher at the sheriff's office?
(a) Bobby Jo Carter.
(b) Mary Jane Cory.
(c) Mary Sue Hampton.
(d) Jane Linton.
3. According to Catherine, when was the last time she spoke to Leona before her death?
(a) One week.
(b) Six months.
(c) Three months.
(d) Two days.
4. What was the name of Catherine's father?
5. What is the dispatcher doing as Catherine enters the sheriff's office?
(c) Talking on the phone.
(d) Cleaning her desk.
Short Answer Questions
1. When a visitor rings the doorbell in Chapter 5, who does Catherine hope it is?
2. Where does Catherine live?
3. What is the name of Lowfield's new doctor?
4. What is the name of the sheriff?
5. Why did Catherine feel obligated to be kind to the new doctor in Lowfield?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why Catherine has to drive Tom to work on Tuesday and Leila's reaction to seeing them together.
2. The morning after she finds Leona's body, how does Catherine feel when she firsts wakes up? How does this change? Can you explain the reasons for Catherine's feelings?
3. What do we learn about Catherin Linton in the first chapter and what do these descriptions tell us about her character?
4. How is the relationship of Catherine and Randall advanced by the dramatic situation they find themselves in after Leona's and then Tom's death?
5. Describe the discovery of Tom's body. What is Catherine's reaction and her emotional state? Who else is in Tom's house and why?
6. What is the place or position of the Perkins family in Lowfield? Who are they as citizens of the town?
7. What does Catherine's state of mind appear to be in the beginning of the novel?
8. How do the people of Lowfield react toward Catherine after she discovers Leona's body? What does Catherine compare it to?
9. What is Catherine's explanation for why her father's old office is so close to her home?
10. What is the exchange between Percy Eakins and Catherine like at the sheriff's office as he takes her statement? Who does Percy turn out to be and how does this affect Catherine?
This section contains 1,561 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)