|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who bribed Randall's father?
(a) A newspaper advertiser.
(b) Randall's mother.
(c) A local politician.
(d) Leona Gaites.
2. What does Catherine tell Randall that the sheriff thinks her motive for killing Leona would be?
(a) That she never liked Leona.
(b) That she is a strange, disturbed woman.
(c) That she wanted vengeance for her parents' deaths.
(d) That she stands to inherit her property.
3. Why did Catherine initially decide to go over to the Perkins' house?
(a) To see if they would watch her house.
(b) To return a casserole dish.
(c) To ask about Leona.
(d) To ask Molly for more gumbo.
4. What does Mrs. Barnes accuse Catherine of when she calls?
(a) Killing Leona.
(b) Not renewing the Barnes' lease.
(c) Not inviting her to dinner.
(d) Sleeping with her husband.
5. What is the name of the pressman at the Gazette?
(a) Randall Gerrard.
(b) Salton Sims.
(c) Carl Perkins.
(d) Tom Mascalco.
6. Why does Tom call Catherine early in the morning on Tuesday?
(a) He wanted some coffee.
(b) He wanted to make sure she was okay.
(c) He didn't have any breakfast food at his house.
(d) He needed a ride to work.
7. What is Randall's job at the Gazette?
(b) Type setter.
8. Who had to formally identify Tom's body?
(c) Sheriff Galton.
9. What does Carl Perkins ask Catherine on Tuesday?
(a) If he can borrow her lawn mower.
(b) If she can write a story for him in the paper.
(c) If she wants to come over for supper.
(d) If she wants to stay at his house.
10. Where did Randall work before he returned to Lowfield?
(b) New Orleans.
(c) New York.
11. Who else does Catherine find in Tom's house on the night he is killed?
12. What does Carl offer to do as Catherine is leaving the Perkins house?
(a) Make more coffee.
(b) Walk her home.
(c) Call her in the morning.
(d) Watch her cross the street.
13. Who leaves brownies for Catherine at her door?
(a) Sally Barnes.
(b) Molly Perkins.
(c) Jewel Crenna.
(d) Betty Eakins.
14. What is the wetness on the wall that Catherine discovers when going to Tom's to investigate Tuesday night?
15. What happened when Molly spilled coffee on Carl's hand?
(a) He did not react.
(b) He winced.
(c) He yelled at her.
(d) He screamed.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who invited Catherine to stay at her house, worried about her safety?
2. Where does Catherine find Tom's body?
3. Why does Melba Barnes call Catherine at the Gazette on Tuesday afternoon?
4. When Catherine goes to develop the film from Tom's camera, what are the pictures of?
5. What day is the Gazette printed?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)