|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Catherine go to the typesetter's desk?
(a) To read Tom's story.
(b) To see if she knows anything about Randall.
(c) To retract an article she wrote.
(d) To find a picture.
2. What is the name of the pressman at the Gazette?
(a) Carl Perkins.
(b) Tom Mascalco.
(c) Randall Gerrard.
(d) Salton Sims.
3. Why does Tom call Catherine early in the morning on Tuesday?
(a) He wanted some coffee.
(b) He needed a ride to work.
(c) He wanted to make sure she was okay.
(d) He didn't have any breakfast food at his house.
4. Where does Catherine call the police from after she finds Tom's body?
(a) A neighbor's house.
(b) Her cellphone.
(c) Tom's house.
(d) Her house.
5. What does Catherine offer Randall after their day trip?
(b) A clean shirt.
(c) A job.
(d) Her car.
6. Where does Randall invite Catherine on their first date?
(a) To a concert in New Orleans.
(b) To a quiet restaurant in Lowfield.
(c) To his house for lunch.
(d) To a movie in Memphis.
7. What does Catherine remember that her mother said about self-made men?
(a) They aren't as good as men from wealthy families.
(b) They are the lonliest men on earth.
(c) They are the proudest men on earth.
(d) They are the only worthy men.
8. What does Catherine's discovery about Carl Perkins confirm about him?
(a) That he is dying.
(b) That he can help find the killer.
(c) That he is the killer.
(d) That he is too old to be Josh's father.
9. Where does the Perkins' son reside?
(a) Los Angeles.
(b) New York.
(c) New Orleans.
10. What story is Tom busy writing when Catherine arrives at the Gazette the Monday after her discovery?
(a) A story about Leona's murder.
(b) A story about the baseball championship.
(c) A story about Martin Barnes being arrested.
(d) A story about the town's birthday parties.
11. What does Catherine tell Randall that the sheriff thinks her motive for killing Leona would be?
(a) That she stands to inherit her property.
(b) That she never liked Leona.
(c) That she is a strange, disturbed woman.
(d) That she wanted vengeance for her parents' deaths.
12. Who does Carl tell Catherine that Molly is scared for?
(d) The new baby.
13. According to Randall and the sheriff, what would give the killer the idea that Tom wasn't home?
(a) His car was in the shop.
(b) Catherine had evicted him.
(c) Tom had mentioned he was visiting his parents.
(d) Tom usually had dates every night.
14. Who does Randall tell Catherine that Leona might have been blackmailing?
(a) Catherine's father.
(b) Tom Mascalco.
(c) Martin Barnes.
(d) His mother.
15. Why did Catherine have to go down to the sheriff's office the morning after Tom died?
(a) To give her statement.
(b) To turn herself in.
(c) To report the death.
(d) To interview the sheriff.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the typesetter at the Gazette having an affair with?
2. What is Catherine doing when she receives a call from Mrs. Barnes?
3. What does Carl Perkins ask Catherine on Tuesday?
4. When Catherine goes to develop the film from Tom's camera, what are the pictures of?
5. Who invited Catherine to stay at her house, worried about her safety?
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)