|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Pages 4-5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Sykes laughs at Delia for being scared of the bullwhip, what physical movement does he make?
(a) He stomps his foot.
(b) He slaps his leg.
(c) He crosses his legs.
(d) He wipes his face.
2. When Sykes tells Delia that he has promised "some other men" (2) that he will not allow Delia to do laundry for white people, whose name is the only one he mentions?
3. What skill does Sykes learn from a Northern white woman?
(a) How to run a store.
(b) How to drive a car.
(c) How to raise chickens.
(d) How to read.
4. What kind of women does Sykes declare to Delia that he hates?
5. The narrator describes Delia as giving "a little scream of" (2) what when Sykes steps upon her laundry?
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator describes Sykes's choice of the laundry pile on which to step using which adjective?
2. When Sykes calls Delia a hypocrite, what sin does he accuse her of committing to warrant this label?
3. What "habitual" character trait of Delia's seems "to slip from her shoulders" (1) after Sykes threatens her with physical violence?
4. What title does the narrator ascribe to Delia's job of doing other people's laundry?
5. For how long is Delia unable to speak when she feels the bullwhip across her shoulders?
This section contains 247 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)