|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Cynthia tells Tracey not to think that just because she "went upstairs" (59) that she "can't see [something] on the floor" (50). What does she say she can still see on the floor?
2. How much money does Tracey say is all she can give Jason to get him started when he returns from prison?
3. What item of her grandfather's does Tracey say is still in her locker at Olstead's?
(a) His union card.
(b) His toolbox.
(c) His wallet.
(d) His uniform.
4. When Tracey verbally attacks Cynthia at the bar when they see each other for the first time since the factory lock-out, how long does Tracey say it has been since she has been out of the house?
(a) Two weeks.
(b) A week.
(c) Three days.
(d) Five days.
5. Cynthia tells Stan that when she had first started at Olstead's, she had felt like she had been invited into what kind of club?
(a) A happiness club.
(b) An exclusive club.
(c) A private club.
(d) A success club.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Cynthia say she used to let slip out onto the counter while she was shopping so that other people could see it?
2. Who does Cynthia blame for Chris's incarceration?
3. How many weeks of work does Chris tell his father it would take him to replace the money he had given his father?
4. When Brucie stops walking the picket line and disappears, for how long does he disappear?
5. In addition to her car payments, what other bill is Cynthia most concerned about being able to pay?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the difference between Jessie's reaction to Cynthia's promotion and Tracey's reaction to Cynthia's promotion?
2. What evidence is there that Tracey did not visit Jason while he was incarcerated and how does this fact contrast with Cynthia's actions?
3. How does the mood of Jessie's birthday party change when Tracey arrives?
4. What is Cynthia's response to Tracey's accusation that the bosses have probably sent Cynthia to the bar?
5. How is overlapping dialogue used to indicate closeness between characters at Jessie's birthday party?
6. What does Chris's habitual asking of which beers the bar has on tap reveal about his character and worldview?
7. What does Tracey mean when she says that Oscar does not know her during their conversation outside the bar?
8. What reasons does Cynthia use to back up her assertion that the workers should take the concessions that will be offered by Olstead's, even if they are harsh?
9. To what circumstances is Jason referring when he asks Tracey, "How the fuck did this happen?" (66)?
10. What does Cynthia mean when she compares her new management job at Olstead's to looking at a map?
This section contains 1,321 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)