Act One, Scenes 1-2
• The following version of this book was used to create this Lesson Plan: Nottage, Lynn. Sweat. Theatre Communications Group. 2017. E-book.
• Act One begins on September 29, 2008 in Reading, Pennsylvania.
• It is the day of the largest stock market decline in history, with the Dow Jones average falling by 778.68 points.
• Jason, a white 29-year-old, is meeting with his parole officer, Evan, an African-American man in his forties.
• Jason’s face is marked up with fresh bruises and white supremacist tattoos.
• Evan inquires about Jason’s new job and Jason shares that he has recently been hired to make pretzels, the only job he can get with a criminal record.
• They exchange a series of routine questions regarding Jason’s work and home life.
• The audience learns that Jason is currently living in a shelter since he says living with his mom had been too depressing.
This section contains 7,301 words
(approx. 25 pages at 300 words per page)