|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Odette do from time to time after she rejected Swann?
2. What did Swann concentrate on when Odette rejected him?
3. Where did the narrator's governess take him on walks?
4. What drove the narrator's family crazy when he fell for Gilberte?
5. What was the feeling often weighing on the narrator when he traveled?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Swann ask Odette after he stood in the rain watching her one night?
2. What does the narrator compare his style of living to?
3. How does the novel end?
4. What does the narrator not like about traveling?
5. What did Odette ask for that Swann refused to give to her?
6. How did Francoise become the narrator's governess?
7. What did the narrator say Swann's relationship with Odette reminded him of and why?
8. What did Swann do after Odette rejected him?
9. Why did Odette begin to avoid Swann?
10. Why did the narrator think his life mirrored Swann's life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did the relationship between the narrator and his mother affect his life and personality?
Essay Topic 2
Wealth is a major motivating factor for a number of characters in this book. Which characters are most affected by this, and what are some of the ways this love for money is manifested?
Essay Topic 3
Friendship is a central theme of this book. What are the main friendships, and how did their inclusion in this book affect the outcome of the plot?
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)