|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the narrator's governess take him on walks?
2. What obsessed Swann about Odette after she rejected him?
3. How did Swann resolve his situation with Odette?
4. Where was Swann when he stood in the rain watching Odette?
5. What did the narrator say left his life when Gilberte stopped playing with him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator compare his style of living to?
2. What kind of relationship did the narrator imagine existed between him and Gilberte?
3. Why did the narrator think his life mirrored Swann's life?
4. How does the narrator describe the way he fell in love?
5. What was Odette's occupation?
6. What caused Swann to fall in love with Odette?
7. What caused Swann to want to propose to Odette?
8. How does the narrator say he wants to travel?
9. What does the narrator say at the beginning of his story about Odette and Swann?
10. What did Swann do after Odette rejected him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Symbolism is a very prevalent literary device used by Marcel Proust. What are some of these symbols, and how does their presence affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Training and education are topics of discussion in this book. Where do these topics appear in this book, and what effect do they have on the characters involved in those scenes?
Essay Topic 3
Human nature is a strong symbol and theme in this book. Where does this symbol appear, and what role does it play in the book?
This section contains 593 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)