|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator want to taste in different places?
2. What was Odette's occupation?
3. What makes the narrator feel life and pleasure?
4. What kind of friends did the Verdurins like to have?
5. How did Swann feel during his time in Paris?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was interesting about Gilberte knowing Swann's name?
2. What caused Swann to fall in love with Odette?
3. What does the narrator compare his style of living to?
4. How does the narrator describe the way he fell in love?
5. Why does the narrator say he prefers his dreams to reality?
6. How does the narrator say he wants to travel?
7. What did Odette ask for that Swann refused to give to her?
8. Why did the narrator think his life mirrored Swann's life?
9. What was the narrator doing when he fell in love with Gilberte?
10. Who were the Verdurins and what did they do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Marcel Proust presents the idea that there are two sides to every man. Choose three of the characters from the book and write about their dual natures and how this duality affected the characters around them.
Essay Topic 2
The separation of classes is quite a significant theme in this book. What are these classes, and how did this separation affect the characters belonging to them?
Essay Topic 3
Wealth is a major motivating factor for a number of characters in this book. Which characters are most affected by this, and what are some of the ways this love for money is manifested?
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)