|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the feeling often weighing on the narrator when he traveled?
2. What became Swann's first priority after being rejected by Odette?
3. What did Odette invite Swann to when they first met?
4. Who does the narrator discuss Balbec with?
5. What about Gilberte did the narrator hope to make a union with?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was interesting about Gilberte knowing Swann's name?
2. Who were the Verdurins and what did they do?
3. What caused Swann to fall in love with Odette?
4. What was the narrator doing when he fell in love with Gilberte?
5. What was Odette's occupation?
6. What did Swann ask Odette after he stood in the rain watching her one night?
7. Why does the narrator say he prefers his dreams to reality?
8. What did the narrator do in an effort to see Gilberts again?
9. What excuse did Gilberte give when she stopped playing with the narrator?
10. What caused Swann to want to propose to Odette?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Training and education are topics of discussion in this book. Where do these topics appear in this book, and what effect do they have on the characters involved in those scenes?
Essay Topic 2
There are many secrets made, kept, and divulged in this book. What are some of these secrets, and how did their placement in the plot affect the course of the plot and the characters involved in the secrets?
Essay Topic 3
Obsession is a theme present in a number of places in the plot. What are some of the best examples of this theme, and how did the presence of this theme affect the outcome of this book?
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)