|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was a huge joke with the narrator's parents in Combray?
2. What caused Swann to stop coming by the main character's house?
3. How did the narrator feel about Combray?
4. What expanded as the narrator walked in Combray?
5. What country is Combray in?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the narrator look at when he began studying art?
2. What did the narrator call his parents and what does this reveal about them?
3. What caused Charles Swann to be unwelcome in the narrator's home?
4. What was the narrator very protective of as a young boy?
5. Why was the narrator surrounded by adults as a child, and what effect did this have on him?
6. What did Great Aunt do when she did not have any visitors?
7. What were the streets in Combray named after?
8. What did the main character hate about going to bed as a boy?
9. How did Charles Swann become connected with the narrator's family?
10. Why did the narrator hate to have house guests when he was a child?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Despair is an emotion that affected a number of the characters in this book. Which characters were most affected by despair, and how did this change the course of the plot branches they were involved in?
Essay Topic 2
The separation of classes is quite a significant theme in this book. What are these classes, and how did this separation affect the characters belonging to them?
Essay Topic 3
Marcel Proust presents the idea that there are two sides to every man. Choose three of the characters from the book and write about their dual natures and how this duality affected the characters around them.
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)