|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author say had a deep impact on reality?
2. Who introduced Swann to the main character's family?
3. How did the narrator feel when he was in Combray?
4. Who did the narrator like interacting with in Combray?
5. Who did the narrator walk with in Combray?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the boy at the beginning of the book thinking about?
2. What was the narrator very protective of as a young boy?
3. Why did the narrator like Combray more than Paris?
4. What did the narrator start doing after first meeting Gilberte Swann?
5. Why was the narrator surrounded by adults as a child, and what effect did this have on him?
6. What did the narrator look at when he began studying art?
7. What were the streets in Combray named after?
8. Why did the narrator's great aunt rarely leave her house?
9. What did Great Aunt do when she did not have any visitors?
10. What did Great Aunt suffer from?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Symbolism is a very prevalent literary device used by Marcel Proust. What are some of these symbols, and how does their presence affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Training and education are topics of discussion in this book. Where do these topics appear in this book, and what effect do they have on the characters involved in those scenes?
Essay Topic 3
Protection is a strong theme in this story. Where does this theme appear and which characters are most affected by the presence of this theme?
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)