|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author say had a deep impact on reality?
2. What did the narrator want to be when he grew up?
3. Where did the main character grow up?
4. What did the meal with the main character's mother at the beginning of the book make him think of?
5. What calmed the main character's nighttime fears as a child?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the narrator look at when he began studying art?
2. What dreams were recurring to the narrator as a child?
3. What did the narrator start doing after first meeting Gilberte Swann?
4. What caused Charles Swann to be unwelcome in the narrator's home?
5. What was the boy at the beginning of the book thinking about?
6. Why did the narrator like Combray more than Paris?
7. What did the narrator say Uncle Adolphe was overcome by?
8. How did the narrator fill his days in Combray?
9. What did the narrator call his parents and what does this reveal about them?
10. How did Mama treat Francois in Combray?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gilberte was a minor character in this book who made a huge impact on the plot. What was her impact, and how would the plot have been altered had she not been included in the story line?
Essay Topic 2
There are many secrets made, kept, and divulged in this book. What are some of these secrets, and how did their placement in the plot affect the course of the plot and the characters involved in the secrets?
Essay Topic 3
Many characters in this book are forced to sacrifice much in order to obtain their goals. Who are some of these characters and how did their sacrifices affect the other characters around them? Were these sacrifices worth the reward? Why or why not?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)