|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was a huge joke with the narrator's parents in Combray?
2. What did the narrator's aunt do during her days in Combray?
3. How did the narrator feel when he was in Combray?
4. What is Swann's first name?
5. What did the main character's mother allow him to do even when it was inappropriate?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was the way Grandmother treated Charles Swann so ironic?
2. What did the narrator want to be when he grew up and why?
3. How did Grandmother treat Charles Swann?
4. What dreams were recurring to the narrator as a child?
5. What did the narrator say Uncle Adolphe was overcome by?
6. What did the narrator do after reading one book by Bergotte?
7. Why was the narrator forbidden from going to his Uncle Adolphe's house?
8. What did the main character hate about going to bed as a boy?
9. How did Mama treat Francois in Combray?
10. What happened one night when the narrator sent a note that he needed his mother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Protection is a strong theme in this story. Where does this theme appear and which characters are most affected by the presence of this theme?
Essay Topic 2
There are many characters in this book who were manipulated and persuaded to do things they did not want to do. What are some of these instances, and how were those characters affected by the manipulation?
Essay Topic 3
Maturity is a theme presented in a number of places and is manifested in a number of ways. Choose a few of these instances and compare and contrast them. How are they different in their manifestations of this sensitive theme?
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)