|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What country is Combray in?
2. Why did the main character hate to sleep when he was a child?
3. What did the main character wonder about when he was sleeping at the beginning of the book?
4. What did the meal with the main character's mother at the beginning of the book make him think of?
5. How did the narrator feel about Charles' daughter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What dreams were recurring to the narrator as a child?
2. What were the streets in Combray named after?
3. How did Mama treat Francois in Combray?
4. Why did the narrator like Combray more than Paris?
5. What did Charles do when he saw the narrator reading one day?
6. What did the narrator start doing after first meeting Gilberte Swann?
7. What happened one night when the narrator sent a note that he needed his mother?
8. Who was Eulalie, and what did she do for the narrator's family?
9. What did the narrator look at when he began studying art?
10. Why was the narrator surrounded by adults as a child, and what effect did this have on him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Protection is a strong theme in this story. Where does this theme appear and which characters are most affected by the presence of this theme?
Essay Topic 2
The separation of classes is quite a significant theme in this book. What are these classes, and how did this separation affect the characters belonging to them?
Essay Topic 3
There are many secrets made, kept, and divulged in this book. What are some of these secrets, and how did their placement in the plot affect the course of the plot and the characters involved in the secrets?
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)