|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the narrator obsessed with before he fell in love with Gilberte?
2. What did the narrator say Swann's love was NOT?
(a) A permanence.
(b) An obsession.
(c) An emotion.
(d) A feeling.
3. Who did the narrator sometimes see when he made efforts to meet Gilberte when she stopped playing with him?
4. What obsessed Swann about Odette after she rejected him?
(a) All of these.
(b) Her looks.
(c) Her thoughts.
(d) Her behavior.
5. Who hired spies to follow Odette?
(a) The Verdurins.
(b) Uncle Adolphe.
(c) Her lover after Swann.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Swann resolve his situation with Odette?
2. Where is the narrator when he is writing about Balbec?
3. What drove the narrator's family crazy when he fell for Gilberte?
4. What kind of friends did the Verdurins like to have?
5. What did Swann realize after watching Odette in the rain one night?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the novel end?
2. What kind of relationship did the narrator imagine existed between him and Gilberte?
3. What do thoughts of Balbec remind the narrator of?
4. Why does the narrator say he prefers his dreams to reality?
5. What did Swann ask Odette after he stood in the rain watching her one night?
6. How did Swann become involved with the nucleus?
7. What was the narrator doing when he fell in love with Gilberte?
8. How does the narrator describe the way he fell in love?
9. What was the nucleus?
10. Who were the Verdurins and what did they do?
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)