|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator think of when describing Balbec?
(a) His future.
(b) His childhood.
(c) His vacations.
(d) His first love.
2. Why did Odette ask for something after Swann watched her in the rain?
(a) She wanted to say goodbye.
(b) She wanted to move away.
(c) She wanted him back.
(d) She wanted to take a trip alone.
3. What obsessed Swann about Odette after she rejected him?
(a) Her thoughts.
(b) All of these.
(c) Her looks.
(d) Her behavior.
4. What did the narrator say left his life when Gilberte stopped playing with him?
5. What did the Verdurins like to observe?
(a) The political movements.
(b) The local birds.
(c) The behavior of their friends.
(d) The people in town.
Short Answer Questions
1. What about Gilberte did the narrator hope to make a union with?
2. What did the narrator say Swann's love was NOT?
3. What was the feeling often weighing on the narrator when he traveled?
4. How did Swann spend his time in Paris?
5. How did Odette get Swann to love her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do thoughts of Balbec remind the narrator of?
2. What did Odette ask for that Swann refused to give to her?
3. What kind of relationship did the narrator imagine existed between him and Gilberte?
4. What caused Swann to want to propose to Odette?
5. How did Francoise become the narrator's governess?
6. What does the narrator compare his style of living to?
7. What was Swann doing with his life before he met Odette?
8. What did Swann do after Odette rejected him?
9. Why does the narrator say he prefers his dreams to reality?
10. What did the narrator say Swann's relationship with Odette reminded him of and why?
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)