|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What caused Swann to stop coming by the main character's house?
(a) His lost fortune.
(b) His treatment of the main character.
(c) His choice of wife.
(d) His trickery.
2. Who did the main character send a note to about needing his mother?
(a) His sister.
(b) The housekeeper.
(c) His father.
(d) The house guest.
3. How did the main character describe Swann?
4. What about the main character was easily bruised as a child?
(a) His arms.
(b) His spirit.
(c) His ego.
(d) His knees.
5. What did the main character wonder about when he was sleeping at the beginning of the book?
(a) Where babies come from.
(b) What his parents do.
(c) Where time goes.
(d) Why he feels sad.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was a huge joke with the narrator's parents in Combray?
2. Why was the narrator forbidden from seeing someone in Combray?
3. What were all the streets in Combray named after?
4. How did the narrator describe his walks through Combray?
5. What is this book composed of?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the narrator fill his days in Combray?
2. Who was Eulalie, and what did she do for the narrator's family?
3. Why was the way Grandmother treated Charles Swann so ironic?
4. What did the main character hate about going to bed as a boy?
5. What did the narrator want to be when he grew up and why?
6. What was the boy at the beginning of the book thinking about?
7. What did the narrator start doing after first meeting Gilberte Swann?
8. What did the narrator say Uncle Adolphe was overcome by?
9. What did Great Aunt do when she did not have any visitors?
10. Why was the narrator forbidden from going to his Uncle Adolphe's house?
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)