|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who invited the narrator to join the group that Gilberte was in?
2. Where is the narrator when he is writing about Balbec?
(a) A cafe.
(b) A train.
(c) A park.
(d) A hotel room.
3. How long did Swann stand in the rain watching Odette one night?
(a) 4 hours.
(b) 3 hours.
(c) 1 hour.
(d) 2 hours.
4. What does the narrator like to gaze at while traveling?
5. What did Swann send to Odette after he was rejected?
(a) Some of her belongings.
(b) A portrait of her.
(c) Money and gifts.
(d) The gifts she gave him.
6. What surprises the narrator when he discusses Balbec?
(a) They had stayed at the same place.
(b) The memories are so different.
(c) She had hated her time there.
(d) He has never been there.
7. What did Swann ask Odette when he confronted her after being rejected?
(a) Do you love me?
(b) Are you dying?
(c) Do you have women lovers?
(d) Do you regret refusing me?
8. What did the narrator do in hopes of seeing Gilberte after she stopped playing with him?
(a) Sent letters.
(b) Changed the routes of his walks.
(c) Attended parties.
(d) Went to her house.
9. What does the narrator say drew him to Gilberte?
(a) She was in the higher class.
(b) She was not at all like him.
(c) She was beautiful.
(d) She reminded him of some of his childhood dreams.
10. What will the narrator have to abandon to travel the way he wants?
(a) His life path.
(b) His career.
(c) His routine.
(d) His family.
11. How did Swann feel during his time in Paris?
(a) He was nervous.
(b) He was happy.
(c) He was bored.
(d) He was depressed.
12. Who stopped liking Swann after Odette rejected him?
(a) The narrator.
(d) The Verdurins.
13. What senses remind the narrator of dreams?
(a) Touch and taste.
(b) Sound and sight.
(c) Sight and smell.
(d) Touch and smell.
14. Who does the narrator discuss Balbec with?
(a) Uncle Adolphe.
15. What did the Verdurins call their group of friends?
(a) The ones.
(b) The group.
(c) The nucleus.
(d) The angels.
Short Answer Questions
1. What grew in Odette after she rejected Swann?
2. What did Swann wish about himself after he was rejected by Odette?
3. What was the name of Gilberte's mother?
4. Who was the narrator's governess?
5. Why did Odette reject Swann?
This section contains 414 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)